Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Good, I loving hate those megaplex theater things. The decent THX equipped theater in my hometown got torn down so all we had were the 16 screen/stadium seating monstrosities.
Independance Day 1 on release day with the sound system turned up high was really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Golli posted:

Yeah - the fantasy world where people would flock back to movie theaters now that restrictions are being lifted, resulting in huge profits is about to hit the brick wall of reality. By and large, going to a movie theater sucks worse now than it did pre-pandemic. I went to a screening of A Quiet Place 2 last weekend, the first day that the theater had resumed a normal operating schedule. They had reserved seating, with blocked off seats separating your group from surrounding groups.

It was miserable - the place was filthy, despite having had months of little to no use. The bathrooms were worse than rest area bathrooms. The 'blocked off seats' were apparently just a suggestion as people sat in them anyway. Coupled with the normal hazards of kids talking and laughing thoughout the movie, etc, it was just not a fun time.

1/10 - would not recommend - amc is dying.

i passed by a multiplex cinema today where i had a part time job many years ago, i was the bartender. it is closed since almost 2 years now. i had a look through the windows and it looked like a graveyard inside. what seemed to be the most important thing back then (entertainment and business) is now dead and might never come back. it boggles the mind really

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1400441325040844804
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1400442074286133249

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Does NFT space ship combat require you to purchase NFT missiles you can launch at the other NFT and then buy addition NFT bullets and explosions?

This battle was awesome and only cost $14000!!! In your face Star Citizen!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Absolutely nothing about an NFT game sounds like a good idea. Pretty much worst than any mobile gacha game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I said come in! posted:

Absolutely nothing about an NFT game sounds like a good idea. Pretty much worst than any mobile gacha game.

There's literally a game out there, Earth2 I think it's called, that simply scams people by selling them squares in a grid.

The way they make that more attractive is that the grid is overlaid on an image of the earth. So you can purchase, say, the land plot of the empire state building or whatever. And it makes you feel like a big important capitalist investor or something.

Except in the end they are just squares in a grid and nothing more, of course. You are paying large amount of money for squares in a grid. There is also supposed to be a game of some sort but that obviously is not going to happen. It's truly incredible how easy it can be to get people to open their wallets and get scammed. Sometimes I wish I gave a poo poo about money or wanted more because it honestly is not that hard.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

loving brain worms, I swear

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Nothing that Chris Roberts has ever suggested is beyond the realms of possibility in game development and people who follow the technicalities of game development know that he is not looking to create a miracle, only to take aspects of existing game development and cutting edge R&D that are normally only attempted in isolation and put them all together in one package - this takes time and money which is normally in short supply by the private funding model. What Chris does is listen to the community and where a possibility arises he will take advantage of it if it is reasonable. For example procedural generation of planets, and everything that came from it, was serendipity - Chris had no plan for it, he just happened to inherit CryTeks R&D team at a time when the community were expressing dissatisfaction at an answer Chris gave about not being able to fly down to planets and moons ourselves.

Why do you think the likes of Forbes react badly to a community funded project? Why should they give a drat about it? Who reads Forbes Magazine, is it the avid gamer or the investor? There are no gang of impatient private investors looking to cash in with Star Citizen thumping the boardroom table every time a delay is announced. Even those who went to the gaming community directly to raise funds had the impression from this traditional model that they must rush to a marketable product asap (Elite Dangerous for example) instead of trusting their community to support a project over the long term as long as they understand that it will take a long time, money and patience. No-one ever thought of providing a game to players while it was being made!

Those who criticise Chris Roberts constantly fail to realise the ones they are insulting is not CIG and it's board members, it's us, the community - because they just don't seem to get it. Comparing this project to other games is pointless, we never wanted standard game development in this project, that's why we had no choice but to go with community funded development no-one else would even attempt what we were asking. We owe a debt of gratitude to Chris Roberts for committing many years of his life (he had very young children when he started this project and he was a millionaire) to making our dream game when he could have made his dream game in a lot less time. Chris more than anyone knew the grief he would get from the standard model investor dominated industry, perhaps he didn't realise how personal and vitriolic it could get.

The dream was not 'the game' the dream was a universe created in partnership with it's community, it's actually 3 AAA title single player games and 1 massive MMO but that doesn't fit their negative narrative does it? That is what CIG are working on concurrently as well as building a cross-platform gaming experience not seen before by acting in close partnership with other companies willing to push the boundaries, but that escapes the naysayers. They are building that universe for us which can grow and grow, they are building a franchise just like Star Trek or Star Wars. It was the dream of a community to say 'up yours' to the private developers with their 'Profits now! New rehashed game next quarter!' attitudes and cash-machine development cycles and we have done that! That was always the dream, to have a game made in partnership with those who would play it. To see what was possible if we tried giving the PLAYERS what THEY dreamed of for once, not what the influencers could schill onto us again and again at the behest of the corporate suit types.

Squadron 42 Chapter 1 and it's 2 sequels is the game Chis Roberts originally pitched for, and his fanbase said yes. Star Citizen the MMO is what the greater community told him he would need to make to get support for HIS dream game, and he said yes. He was the only one who would even consider it at the time.

quote:

I have a suspicion that they are trialling static (bubble) server meshing right now. I don't know the technicalities or logistics of them firing up a meshed mini-PU for testing in a way players wouldn't be able to detect from standard server handling. Players are reporting bugs.. which might just be bugs.. but they could be symptoms of information loss in the transfer from one server to the next.

They are all happening in QT and this jibes well with something that Clive Johnson said many months ago, that static bubbles of the Stanton System could be loaded and meshed whereby you transfer from server to server way out in space - where players would by necessity likely be in QT. You could fly in normal flight from location to location taking many many hours but as far as I'm aware only one person has ever tried it, from Crusader to Yela - and he ran out oxygen. I'm sure the CIG team know exactly how long ships can go before they lose hydrogen fuel or oxygen, ergo they know where it is very unlikely players will be without being in QT. For example:

Player reports loss of connection to server, empty chat window (F11 menu) during QT, controls not responding - a separate server controls chat but it links to the server population the player is on. Player reconnects after several minutes and continues playing, chat window populates. As the OP says they will test mechanics before committing resources and the disconnect/reconnect without needing to go back to the main menu is a requirement for server meshing. Previously if you were D/K'd from the server for a even a few seconds you were kicked from the client back to the menu.

Players ships are losing atmosphere in QT, very few reports. Most might not notice this since generally we keep our helmets on during QT.

Earlier in the year a small number of players were reporting that their ship disappeared from around them leaving them in empty space during QT. This stopped almost as soon as it was reported but wasn't listed as a bug fix afaik. This is an object container hierarchy problem.

Very lately players have been saying '30K coming!' in chat in the game (again chat is handled by a different server) while other players in the same chat are saying the server is working fine, those expecting 30K are then saying the server 'recovered' because their controls have now become responsive again (doors opening etc), there is no known way for a server to 'recover' and if the players are disconnecting/reconnecting successfully this in-and-of-itself means that meshing is possible.

If there were to be bugs associated with server meshing, these look to me (an untrained eye to be sure) like the types of disconnect/reconnect bugs you might expect. They are not like bugs we have seen before. Who knows? We've not seen servers spontaneously recover from being the already dead parrot Clive Johnson indicated a 30K was due to (players don't know if a server is dying, they only know when it is dead but their local client continues on anyway). Maybe one day they'll tell us all about the road to server meshing, and where the secret behind the scenes stuff was happening. What I do know is that the pace of player facing new developments in the game seems to have picked up markedly in the last 6 months, compared to previous years. It's almost as if some 'core dependency' all those eagerly awaited features had been waiting for was ready for primetime.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/YgNSGg4.gifv

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"Nothing that Chris Roberts has ever suggested is beyond the realms of possibility in game development"

I mean I think technically this isn't wrong, but there is a reason why no one else is attempting this level of space sim either. Elite Dangerous is as good as it will ever get.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's that dog from the Simpsons.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Disco Elysium came out in 2019. Bethesda's just not very good at writing games, it's not that they're forced to suppress the talent that they don't have.

Weirdly enough, Bethesda is pretty decent at designing the occasional little side quest or random cave with short bits of text to discover. If they just stopped trying to turn "find missing family member" into some kind of grand main quest for a Fallout game they would be in a much better place.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

I said come in! posted:

"Nothing that Chris Roberts has ever suggested is beyond the realms of possibility in game development"

I mean I think technically this isn't wrong, but there is a reason why no one else is attempting this level of space sim either. Elite Dangerous is as good as it will ever get.

I would disagree with that statement based purely on the specific mention of "game development". Sure, nothing Chris has suggested promised is beyond the realms of possibility in software simulations, but it is out of scope in game development because people want more than 0.1fps in a game. Games need to be processed in real time.

Chris' fully realised fidelity vision with gas propagation, and physicalised ship component interactions, and all the other pipedreams.txt is IMO too complex to simulate in real time on client PCs, and that's why they can't get the drat thing working as promised, and never will get the drat thing working without using the same cheats other game devs use.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

The Wing Commander movie is up on YouTube for free. I've never seen this but I've wanted to since I became fascinated with Star Citizen. Wish me luck.

You could just have watched the Spoony review of it to get the idea :)

commando in tophat posted:

So I never played Morrowind like a heathen I am, does it still hold up, or is it just a nostalgia and actual gameplay is clunky and obtuse? I certainly preferred oblivion's magic system to skyrim's, where you could craft a light spell that would last minutes and fireball that would cost all your mana. In contrast, skyrim let you get gear that would make spells free, but that was really boring

Morrowind is mostly still pretty cool, imo. Our PC could barely run it without crashing when I was young, so I've mainly tried it in the last few years.

If you mostly just want the vanilla experience and don't need all the crazy mods ever made you could go for OpenMW which gives you a fresh engine that has most of the functionality of the original but without being programmed by Bethesda or from 2002. You still have to install the original, though, so you can point the OpenMW engine to where the game assets are located.
I would still recommend getting a mod that adds at least a tiny bit of mana regen over time, since Morrowind doesn't give you that by default, and probably a mod that makes the levelling system a bit less weird. Having to level up your "other" skills X number of times before leveling up your major or minor skills to get the next character level with higher stat boosts than if you didn't was a pretty dumb system.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Lammasu posted:

The Wing Commander movie is up on YouTube for free. I've never seen this but I've wanted to since I became fascinated with Star Citizen. Wish me luck.

If you're worried that your life might not be ruined enough after this, don't worry! The entire season of the famous Saturday morning cartoon show "Wing Commander Academy" is available for free on peacocktv.com! See the show that left an enduring legacy of dozens and dozens of cardboard boxes full of worthless crap!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

I said come in! posted:

It's that dog from the Simpsons.

My friend also had a dog that looked just like Santa's Little Helper :3:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Even those who went to the gaming community directly to raise funds had the impression from this traditional model that they must rush to a marketable product asap (Elite Dangerous for example) instead of trusting their community to support a project over the long term as long as they understand that it will take a long time, money and patience. No-one ever thought of providing a game to players while it was being made!

This guy fails to mention anything wrong with Elite: Dangerous' strategy. What's wrong with getting the basic framework of the game right, then giving it a retail release while continuing to support it with updates and expansions? It certainly seems preferable to Star Citizen's outrageous feature creep of making specialized ships for agriculture and journalism before those mechanics are even put in game. Will Chris Roberts delay the game until he works out detailed Space Reporter gameplay?

And of course, his last sentence is completely wrong. Game companies have been releasing public alphas and betas for at least a decade prior to the announcement of Star Citizen. I guess he could argue that companies that did that put out largely feature-complete products and used open betas largely for balancing and tweaking, so they weren't involving their fans as much as SC. But the development of Star Citizen makes a pretty good case for not allowing internet fanboys micromanage every feature of your game from the beginning.

EDIT: Since when is Squadron 42 going to be three games? When I last followed Star Citizen news, it was just one game, in chunks with about 50 missions total. How has its release structure changed since then?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 3, 2021

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

You could just have watched the Spoony review of it to get the idea :)
Morrowind is mostly still pretty cool, imo. Our PC could barely run it without crashing when I was young, so I've mainly tried it in the last few years.

If you mostly just want the vanilla experience and don't need all the crazy mods ever made you could go for OpenMW which gives you a fresh engine that has most of the functionality of the original but without being programmed by Bethesda or from 2002. You still have to install the original, though, so you can point the OpenMW engine to where the game assets are located.
I would still recommend getting a mod that adds at least a tiny bit of mana regen over time, since Morrowind doesn't give you that by default, and probably a mod that makes the levelling system a bit less weird. Having to level up your "other" skills X number of times before leveling up your major or minor skills to get the next character level with higher stat boosts than if you didn't was a pretty dumb system.

Just because my polearm wizard knows almost nothing about polearms or magic but is instead an accomplished thief blacksmith doesn't make it dumb!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Lol, FOMO the Game. Fear Of Missing Out is the common thread between this latest hack game, SC, the scam MMO, etc. How many polygons, the blockchain, NFTs, whatever - those are straws that the whales grasp at to try and justify that, at the end of the day, they're paying for a ticket, for a seat that hasn't been installed, in a ride that hasn't been designed, in an fairground that hasn't been built, because they're sick of being inconsequential dust in this careless world.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Armitag3 posted:

Lol, FOMO the Game. Fear Of Missing Out is the common thread between this latest hack game, SC, the scam MMO, etc. How many polygons, the blockchain, NFTs, whatever - those are straws that the whales grasp at to try and justify that, at the end of the day, they're paying for a ticket, for a seat that hasn't been installed, in a ride that hasn't been designed, in an fairground that hasn't been built, because they're sick of being inconsequential dust in this careless world.

They need to learn that being inconsequential dust in an uncaring universe, in point of fact, owns

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

"See all those bugs? That's the proof that it's working!" :psyduck:

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

FishMcCool posted:

You don't have to do this. Like, really. You really don't have to do this.

Trust me. I've seen it at the cinema, and I wish I could erase those memories.

Me too. I took a date. It went as well as you would think.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

TheAgent posted:

I was looking through some of the biggest star citizen supporters and well well, surprise surprise most of them are on SC_trades and hey, lookie at that, most of them are huge into NFTs, crypto and the latest fun fad of AMC/GameStop HODLing

its uh not going great for them atm (AMC stock has halted trading btw because of a 30%+ drop in share price lol)

some people have just lost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars lol and they think its going to go back up (hint: its not)

this was from yesterday
guy just bought in at $60~ yesterday. predictions are it'll be under $10 a share in a month

This doesn't surprise me at all. The same geniuses who get played on social media by hedge funds are also big on SC? Color me shocked.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

There are actual cults with less robust conceptual defense mechanisms and less sophisticated language manipulation. T-minus how long until we find the Crobbler mummified, wrapped in Christmas lights, and bedazzled with glitter paint on a bed in his mansion?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

NumptyScrub posted:

I would disagree with that statement based purely on the specific mention of "game development". Sure, nothing Chris has suggested promised is beyond the realms of possibility in software simulations, but it is out of scope in game development because people want more than 0.1fps in a game. Games need to be processed in real time.

Chris' fully realised fidelity vision with gas propagation, and physicalised ship component interactions, and all the other pipedreams.txt is IMO too complex to simulate in real time on client PCs, and that's why they can't get the drat thing working as promised, and never will get the drat thing working without using the same cheats other game devs use.

Even if you could do all that stupid poo poo on modern hardware, it would still be better to use the "cheats" because you're freeing up cycles for something else. The entire science/art of software development of any kind is doing more work with fewer resources, not saturating every pipeline in the flow.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
another "THE ULTIMATE SANDBOX MMORPG"

oh ffs, just play ffxiv

Play
Apr 25, 2006

My theory is that promising an MMO works best on a certain kind of person which allows these scams to succeed. Promising a fighting game or boomer shoooter or whathaveyou just won't attract the right kind of person who is susceptible to these scams and the general FOMO feeling.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Dwesa posted:

oh ffs, just play ffxiv

Other red flags used in promoting scam MMOs: "It's a game where you can go anywhere and do anything" or "It's the last game you'll ever want to play."

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dwesa posted:

oh ffs, just play ffxiv

xiv is good and not a sandbox, what they should actually do is go play eve

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I said come in! posted:

Wait for the shocking realization that once, if ever, it releases it turns out Star Citizen really is just another video game MMO for kids and all the dreams of space life forever in the world of Ready Player One are dashed.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bofast posted:

Weirdly enough, Bethesda is pretty decent at designing the occasional little side quest or random cave with short bits of text to discover. If they just stopped trying to turn "find missing family member" into some kind of grand main quest for a Fallout game they would be in a much better place.

Liam Neeson is going to find you, and be your father.

Just pretend that Fallout is really your average Liam Neeson movie and the reality is he is hunting for you while you wander an aimless wasteland, killing people along the way who may have information on your whereabouts, until finally you both meet!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

NumptyScrub posted:

I think people have a hard time parsing this.

Like XYZ did it so it should be doable by abc also.

It's not that any one thing is impossible (with the exception of the promised version of server meshing where in thousands could seamlessly interact in this fidelitous environment with servers spinning up and inter communicating with each other like they are one big cojoined computer).

It's that doing all the things together at one time is super challenging and potentially super difficult to achieve.

Rockstar could probably get closest. But not every company is Rockstar, with their level of talent and skill and years of game history allowing them to do this kind of thing.

As CDProject Red discovered, being Rockstar is not something you can just suddenly decide to be and succeed at.

To think you can do it with a company made from Full Sail grads and who's most powerful department is marketing and art... probably not.

And that's why we're at year 9-10 or something and counting with no end even in sight yet, and with a game where YouTube videos of normal play are full of more bugs and problems than people succeeding at stuff.

Sure CIG may eventually get close... but is it going to be worth 20 years and $800M by then?

Just looking at UE5 and what it has brought to the table implies that console games using it are about to put anything and everything video games have done to date out to pasture.

We're about to see the next generation of graphics appear and it's super exciting and if you have a game stuck in development hell like SC, be prepared to be lapped by shovelware in the graphics department over the next few years.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

William Bear posted:

Other red flags used in promoting scam MMOs: "It's a game where you can go anywhere and do anything" or "It's the last game you'll ever want to play."

Where do I buy this?!!?!

My credit card is re-

Ooihhh I see this was just an explanation of the problem. I was totally thinking you were building this game.

Because if you were.. MY CREDIT CARD IS READY TO BUY BUY BUY!!!

And I'll know you're serious if a basic thing is the price of a normal retail game and a bigger thing is the cost of a real car. And if you hide some costs from me until I'm enlightened and have proven my gullible nature... I will just not stop buying it all.

:homebrew:

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

The Titanic posted:

And I'll know you're serious if a basic thing is the price of a normal retail game and a bigger thing is the cost of a real car. And if you hide some costs from me until I'm enlightened and have proven my gullible nature... I will just not stop buying it all.

:homebrew:

Scientology would like to know your location.

.random
May 7, 2007

akkristor posted:

Scientology would like to know your location.

Last known whereabouts: bottom of the Atlantic. No next of kin.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Scruffpuff posted:

saturating every pipeline in the flow.

Lesnik's specialty

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Titanic posted:

Rockstar could probably get closest. But not every company is Rockstar, with their level of talent and skill and years of game history allowing them to do this kind of thing.

Rockstar could never achieve the kind of things that Star Citizen is promising and has the good sense not to even try. Especially regarding this server meshing nonsense which along with a few other things is probably what I find most troublesome about their plans.

Does anyone know if the stars, planets, moons and satellites actually orbit and rotate in Star Citizen at this point in time?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Deskeletonized posted:

There are actual cults with less robust conceptual defense mechanisms and less sophisticated language manipulation. T-minus how long until we find the Crobbler mummified, wrapped in Christmas lights, and bedazzled with glitter paint on a bed in his mansion?

"With this jpeg do I outlive death, with this roadmap do I secure the stars, forever shall I have my staff and followers, forever shall I keep my promise. Another sale to mark my passing. Two more weeks and all shall be revealed."

Appalled I apply a napkin to my mouth as I escape the tomb. Shrill words from a harpy emanate from the bowels of this place as I make my escape.

"YOU FOOL DEREK IS DEAD"

I chuckle. I am glad of it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Only 64 weeks 'til the MERCHANTMAN

It's on the schedule so it'll be on time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

trucutru posted:

It's on the schedule so it'll be on time

I utter this as a car drives by me and covers me with slush. I am immersed, and yet, my bus does not arrive.

Perhaps I need more bus passes I think as I look at the flowers I intend to lay at the grave of Derek Smart. Perhaps I'm just too ambitious for this world. Perhaps God needed me to remember humility. I'd be remiss to mistake the lessons granted to me. I sigh all the same. My zoot suit is ruined.