Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

They are in the London stores, so YMMV?

Yeah, its on a store by store basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sloppy posted:

Anyone had luck reviving the battery boxes? The battery in my blacktron base corroded - I scraped it all off, tried using deoxit on the contacts, but no luck.

I bet it's the "switch".
Would probably be trivial to make the battery box "always on".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lego is accidentally leaking upcoming Marvel series What If...? details.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Lego is accidentally leaking upcoming Marvel series What If...? details.

Honestly, that looks horrible. But is that an easily convertible robot? Because that is cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Robot would be cool if it weren't for the turquoise codpiece.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
More to look at here. The "Stuntz" subtheme is gonna provide me more minifig drivers for my cars, so that's nice!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

xzzy posted:

Robot would be cool if it weren't for the turquoise codpiece.

I'm not sure I understand the color choices at all, is this a thing portrayed in other media already? does it look better there?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I'm pretty sure it's "What if Iron Man was created on the Jeff Goldblum planet instead of a cave in Afghanistan?"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ah ok, I'm pretty Marvel ignorant so I looked up this "Sakaar" thing and I guess this is meant to evoke the jumbled, technicolor dump look? Although I think they should've mixed it up even more in that case.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also some more Mandalorian set leaks including Moff Gideon's gunship, a Slave 1, the stormtrooper transport thing with Greef Karga, a Mandalorian shuttle that looks to be based on the animated series rather than The Mandalorian, and the Star Wars advent calendar is Mandalorian themed this year so expect Baby Yoda in a christmas jumper

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Love the colors and What If concept. Not sure about an early purchase but will see if it comes down in price.

Edit: and a Marvel advent calendar this year!

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

tomapot posted:

Love the colors and What If concept. Not sure about an early purchase but will see if it comes down in price.

Edit: and a Marvel advent calendar this year!

Gideons gunship owns, the Mando fighter owns, Small set with Ahsoka and Maul owns, Lego owns.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Where's my UCS AT-AT leak?!? :argh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I don’t think we’ve had enough slave 1s lately.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

veni veni veni posted:

Lol I don’t think we’ve had enough slave 1s lately.

This one looks more in vein with the recent scaled down X-Wing, Tie and Shuttle, so it shouldn't be too expensive at least. It's akin to the Slave 1 that came with Cloud City rather than the most recent anniversary set

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

VaultAggie posted:

Gideons gunship

it's a light cruiser

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There needs to be a Bill Burr LEGO minifig with his trademark smiling smirking scowl.

"Did'ya hear I've got a LEGO minifig version of me now? That's TWO loving adult fangroups that hate me now! I'm collectin' 'em like those stupid fuckin' Pokemon cards! Wait, that's three now!"

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There needs to be a Bill Burr LEGO minifig with his trademark smiling smirking scowl.

"Did'ya hear I've got a LEGO minifig version of me now? That's TWO loving adult fangroups that hate me now! I'm collectin' 'em like those stupid fuckin' Pokemon cards! Wait, that's three now!"

I can hear it in his voice.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Dodge Daytona! It's long!

This uses the same technique I devised a while ago in order to brick-build the stripe on the official Charger Speed Champions set, which is a total nonsense bullshit connection involving clipping two tiles together.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Knowing little about cars but a decent amount about your skill at faithfully recreating them, drat that’s a well done model of an ugly rear end car

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drat, you freaky

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

This one looks more in vein with the recent scaled down X-Wing, Tie and Shuttle, so it shouldn't be too expensive at least. It's akin to the Slave 1 that came with Cloud City rather than the most recent anniversary set

Oh, I actually thought the little one came out months ago and they were already doing another, but it looks like the same set that just hasn't come out yet.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dude that's genius... And also would be considered "illegal", or wouldn't it?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Hopper posted:

Dude that's genius... And also would be considered "illegal", or wouldn't it?
Sure, but why should I care? I'm not a LEGO set designer so the term "illegal" is not relevant to me.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Carbohydrates posted:

Dodge Daytona! It's long!

One of my all time favourite cars. Love it!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Sure, but why should I care? I'm not a LEGO set designer so the term "illegal" is not relevant to me.

Whoah there, Texas Red.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Carbohydrates posted:

LEGO Police, you’re under arrest for LEGO crime!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A minifig with an unattached leg holds no authority over ME. That's not only illegal, it's impossible!

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Received a BL order with all like pieces stacked together- normally wouldn’t be a problem but I ordered literally hundreds of plates :negative: Now that should be illegal!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

xzzy posted:

A minifig with an unattached leg holds no authority over ME. That's not only illegal, it's impossible!

“I do not give LEGO retainer!” cries the sovereign LEGO citizen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Received a BL order with all like pieces stacked together- normally wouldn’t be a problem but I ordered literally hundreds of plates :negative: Now that should be illegal!

At they at least offset?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Whoah there, Texas Red.
Twenty men had tried to police my building techniques, twenty men had made a slip

Nah it's all good. "Illegal technique" is a phrase that gained popularity online when a LEGO internal document, leaked to the internet, started making the rounds. It's called Stressing The Elements and people quote it like it's the loving Bible. It was never meant to be seen outside of the LEGO design team and it's way out of date, by like 15 years or so.

"Illegal" is a shorthand for a standard that LEGO set designers abide by, and it means different things in different contexts. It governs how sets designed for production and sale must be designed, and considers things such as build stability, stress imparted on elements, and ease of building for various age brackets. That means that it isn't even a hard set of rules: a technique or build that may not be permitted in a set designed for 4 year-olds may be fine in an 18+ set. Even the specific rules that are presented in the document as "hard" rules have been subverted by LEGO, and recently: the Disney Castle from 2016 violates page 3 of the doc, and the Hell Charger from 2021 violates page 5. So clearly, it is a moving target and/or an evolving standard. I think a lot of people who like to call out illegal techniques on Reddit and such are doing it to try to appear more knowledgeable about the hobby, or for the memes/imaginary clout. I dislike this practice strongly because (again, mostly on Reddit) the "IS THAT AN ILLEGAL TECHNIQUE" discussion takes over a conversation that should more frequently be about a model and its clever parts usage.

edit: tl;dr: ft(l)p

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 4, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

At they at least offset?

They are not!

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I like “illegal” techniques (and seeing them pointed out) because they show innovative ways of making connections that I wouldn’t normally think of or see in instructions, and I decide which ones I’d like to try and which ones are too far-out. I think as far as stressing the parts, that should be avoided- lego does break, after all but not all illicit connections do that, really. Part of the inherent fun of the lego system itself is finding ways to work within the system, and that involves following a set of rules whether that guidance is given by the lego group itself or if you decide for yourself.

I think the people crowing about it excessively just demand a psychological level of orderliness in their lives/hobbies or really do think those are hard rules and that all of those connections will result in broken pieces.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This. This is straight up illegal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's in a lego instruction manual the connection is now canon. :colbert:

At least until Disney buys them and throws 90% of the literature out.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

This. This is straight up illegal.

So, funny thing. This is considered no good with plates, but not with tiles. And there are two reasons! One, when you wedge a plate between studs, then the studs of that vertical plate are in collision with the studs of the plate it's stuck into. This could be avoided by sliding it down a bit so the studs don't hit each other, and then it's all good, right? Not so much: the second issue is that plates and tiles are actually not the same thickness, even when you factor out the studs. Tiles are infinitesimally shorter in overall height (on average, about .05mm or so, according to a toolmaker friend who took some measurements for me), most likely so that models with functions that require things to slide over tiles will have less friction and operate more consistently. As a side effect of this dimensional change, wedging a tile between two studs is pretty much fine as that tiny bit of extra room makes everything sit pretty happy. This technique is most notably used for the American flag in the Saturn V set, but is used heavily in the internal structure of the most recent Architecture Empire State Building as well.

However, panel pieces, such as the 1 x 4 pictured, actually have a base whose height is equal to that of plates, not tiles, meaning that yes, this is still an "illegal technique" due to the stress imparted. The Old Trafford stadium does the same thing with its goal nets.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 4, 2021

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

xzzy posted:

If it's in a lego instruction manual the connection is now canon. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have that set and have no memory of cutting those tubes. But it's been at least 10 years since then so maybe that doesn't mean much.