Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

yeah this whole "ugh why didn't they give ewing thor" thing depends on the notion that ewing, like, wants thor and I guess is just being forced to work on venom?

e: also thor "floundering" is entirely based on how this thread feels about Cates I guess because it's selling fine

Yeah, I wouldn't call any Cates title "floundering". That's a statement on sales. I'd just call it crap.

Same as Spider-Man wasn't floundering under Slott, but it sure as hell wasn't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Party Boat posted:

I've never really been an X Men guy before the current run so it's been my introduction to Mister Sinister and I love how Wells writes him. The sending a clone to Avalon gag was great.

Hellions has been such an incredible use of just the worst characters. The bit with Mr Sinisters cape lasts long and is delightful.

I give thinks to Kieron Gillen every day for giving us the modern Sinister, but Wells just cranks the knob all the way to cartoon super villain and it is perfect.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Blockhouse posted:

on the flip side pumped for Ram V/Al Ewing Venom but uh Bryan Hitch would not really be my first choice for art on a Venom book

I kind of hope Hitch brings a back a little more "Spider-Man, but also a xenomorph and a gorilla" to Venom's look. All tentacles all the time works in the 2D Capcom games, but in comics it turns him into Diet Carnage

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I assume Venom will play a role in the big space crossover event Ewing has planned. I also see Venom playing to the same strengths he brought to Hulk, with the multiple personalities and body horror. I am curious to see how Ewing differentiates them though. He also tends to be really good at digging into a character's history, so I'm sure if he's writing Venom, he's found some interesting hook.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I'm only reading Immortal Hulk through Unlimited so I'm a little behind, but isn't one of the key elements of the book Banner and the Hulks learning to coexist? The relationships between them all are certainly a big part of Ewing's run, so I'm a little bummed to find out everything snaps back to "I need to get rid of the Hulk" as soon as it's over. I know nothing ever changes in comic books but come on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Splint Chesthair posted:

I'm only reading Immortal Hulk through Unlimited so I'm a little behind, but isn't one of the key elements of the book Banner and the Hulks learning to coexist? The relationships between them all are certainly a big part of Ewing's run, so I'm a little bummed to find out everything snaps back to "I need to get rid of the Hulk" as soon as it's over. I know nothing ever changes in comic books but come on.

Someone find that page from Ultimates about Sisyphus

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Splint Chesthair posted:

It sounds shockingly similar to how when Cates' took over Thor from Aaron he began by making Thor's central conflict "I hate to even think this but ... I may not be worthy of all this anymore" despite that literally being a years'-long storyline and core character journey in Aaron's run.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Banner is currently having a very not fun time so I could see him coming out of all of this with a different thought on the matter even though him coming to relative peace with the hulks and joe and everything in the system not too long ago. Like right now it’s all Joe and Hulks show trying to fix poo poo and Banner’s been out of the picture since issue 39/late last year

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 3, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wouldn't be terribly surprised if banner's development from immortal got reset. dude's a shredded torso in hell with tentacles in his eye sockets! he'd be far better off not remembering that.

edit: i don't actually know how far behind unlimited is.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah we've had that drop on Unlimited, it's 3 months behind street release now.

My sub runs through the end of the year so I should be good for Immortal Hulk #50, but it'll take some serious willpower for me to not just buy the remaining issues individually once they're all out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kind of hope Hitch brings a back a little more "Spider-Man, but also a xenomorph and a gorilla" to Venom's look. All tentacles all the time works in the 2D Capcom games, but in comics it turns him into Diet Carnage

on the other hand I definitely prefer Venom by someone who has a certain kind of kinetic energy to their art like Stegman or Tony Moore

"energy" is not a word I associate with Hitch.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The best venom design is the reveal panel and it's all gotten worse from it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nilbop posted:

It sounds shockingly similar to how when Cates' took over Thor from Aaron he began by making Thor's central conflict "I hate to even think this but ... I may not be worthy of all this anymore" despite that literally being a years'-long storyline and core character journey in Aaron's run.

At least it wasn't as bad as his next idea, Thir needs more characters from a Rob Zombie film.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
siiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhh maybe this is an out-of-continuity The End-type thing?

https://twitter.com/DrStrange/status/1400905968544890882

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wonder if that's gonna tie into the trial of magneto and inferno

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

siiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhh maybe this is an out-of-continuity The End-type thing?

https://twitter.com/DrStrange/status/1400905968544890882

I would be very surprised if they killed off Dr Strange even semi-permanently, immediately before his new movie came out (currently scheduled for March 2022, I believe, so if this is a six issue thing that would mean the last issue came out just before the movie).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it will be as permanent as every other hyped up death of a character

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

it will be as permanent as every other hyped up death of a character

I'm saying I doubt it will even be that permanent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They already killed him off in the 90s but he turned into two new people or something.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Brutal way to cancel Strange Academy, but sure.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Maybe he's just dying temporarily to hang out with Dead Girl again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Beerdeer posted:

Maybe he's just dying temporarily to hang out with Dead Girl again.

And be with his dog

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Doctor Strange is already a magician who has travelled to the afterlife and back several times and is an expert on that kind of thing even before you get into death not being permanent in the MU. He's going to die in like issue 2 and the rest will be about his resurrection as an excuse to shake up the status quo, I bet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Do it like the death of Jane foster and have him die on one panel and then he gets resurrected two panels later

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Poor guy, finally shows up underdressed and dies as a direct result (I assume.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently they had nobody actually fluent in Filipino to name their new Captain America:

https://twitter.com/genenisperos/status/1401085605530927107

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't know how to feel about this. I'm Filipino and it didn't even occur to me until I saw the comments, so I think it's reasonable that a Fil-Am--if they consulted one--wouldn't even have realized it. Also, they criticize her design as not seeming Filipino enough, but the Fil-Am experience strikes me as being kinda different from the Filipino experience--different enough that I don't expect them to get dressed up in some hero-ized version of traditional Filipino garb to validate their being Fil-Am. There's a bit of conflict between Filipinos and Fil-Ams on Twitter which seems to lead to a lot of weird and surprisingly heated online discourse like whether or not Filipinx is inclusive or racist (a debate which is even name-checked disparagingly in the replies), so I'm sort of inclined to think this is a lesser issue than it's being made out to be.

The issue of her not being created by a Fil-Am is a more valid one, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Costumes made out of stuff the character had lying around are always fun. But I feel like it stretches the concept a bit much when the character just had a riveted metal shield lying around.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I do not speak Filipino but it looks like "Ari" is a common word that means "property/goods/resources/strength" and also is slang for genitals, which is maybe a bad choice for a name but comics have also survived having lots of characters named Dick, Rod, Willie, Johnson, Shaft, Stick, Box, Fanny, etc.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It looks like Arì is the slang term and Ari is the given name which feels like a big difference that is being elided here?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I do not speak Filipino but it looks like "Ari" is a common word that means "property/goods/resources/strength" and also is slang for genitals, which is maybe a bad choice for a name but comics have also survived having lots of characters named Dick, Rod, Willie, Johnson, Shaft, Stick, Box, Fanny, etc.

Does anyone in the thread know if Ari is also a common name? It would be strange if I saw a character named "Poder Ramirez" marketed as a Latinx hero.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, you don't even pronounce it the same. Or at least, it's a distinction that would be obvious to tagalog speakers. We have people named Ariel, after all. I don't know of anyone named Ari specifically, but it's probably true that your bullies will deliberately mispronounce it in the schoolyard to make fun of you. As far as slang for penis goes it isn't even the first word I'd think of.

edit: I have at least 6 friends-of-friends on FB named Ari who live here in the PH; there were more but I didn't bother counting the rest. Also spotted someone sharing the article who was just happy to see it, not noticing the naming at all.

Argue fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 5, 2021

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Also "Genitals are heroes" is a 100% correct statement.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

"Property are heroes" is worse

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

"Property are heroes" is worse
It's definitely troubling, much like founding X-Man "Policemen are Ducks" or one of Marvel's biggest creators ever choosing a pen name that means "Masturbating a Vaccum Cleaner to Climax"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

It's definitely troubling, much like founding X-Man "Policemen are Ducks" or one of Marvel's biggest creators ever choosing a pen name that means "Masturbating a Vaccum Cleaner to Climax"

:jerkbag:

Post receipts.

Edit: we shouldn't be surprised that house of mouse would pivot from the Marvel heroes protecting people to marvel heroes protecting property. It would be more realistic and marvel likes to be close to the real world!

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 5, 2021

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Argue posted:

The issue of her not being created by a Fil-Am is a more valid one, though.

Alyssa Wong is Chinese/Filipino. She was making a big deal a while back about how excited she was to get to write Wave.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Post receipts.

Edit: we shouldn't be surprised that house of mouse would pivot from the Marvel heroes protecting people to marvel heroes protecting property. It would be more realistic and marvel likes to be close to the real world!

this is a parody of a talking point

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, there's plenty of comic characters named things like Jack, Peter, Willie, Dick, Johnson, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Post receipts.

Jack - to masturbate
Kirby - a dominant vaccum cleaning company when young Jacob Kurtzberg decided to name himself after masturbation

It shouldn't be any surprise that if you look at/interpret/mistranslate his premiere creations they're basically named Male Supremacy, Female Erasure, Commit Arson on People, and Property. And Four ~= Fore ~=Foreskin they're all basically the same words and that's a big yikes from me.