Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I like the idea but if it means a complete break from everything we're currently doing, buying the entire stack from an unknown company, it's a daunting change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

H110Hawk posted:

I still have thumper ptsd. We ran dozens of them.

PTSD?? I loved those things!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

PTSD?? I loved those things!

Remember the early driver problems?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Yeah, but gyroscopic precession only works when you're applying a force perpendicular to the plane of rotation. With the way the disks are loaded in that new chassis, the force of sliding the bay in/out of the rack should be almost entirely parallel with the plane of rotation, so the force simply gets applied directly against the spindle, which should be more than capable of handling it. And the spinning disk should act as a stabilizing factor, anyhow.

But, yes, the end result is you're now moving 90 drives instead of 2, and that's not great regardless of orientation. Seems weird to change it since something that dense would be almost certainly only seen in datacenters where you'd generally have good access to both the front and back of every rack.

Upside: instead of two tiny-rear end little fans for the 2x PSUs, which seems...questionable...for that setup, you now get 5x big rear end fans for the 4x PSUs, which seems a lot more reasonable, and presumably much better internal thermals as a consequence.
The 30mm fans in the PSUs are ones from DELTA that Supermicro have been using for.. probably decades? They're fine.

Less Fat Luke posted:

I had a bunch of top-loading Sun X4500s at a previous job like 12 years ago and they're still running, we didn't see any higher failure rate on the drives in those systems versus horizontal loading systems. I'm sure it's fine.

Edit: Now I miss the Sun that made cool poo poo.
I have a friend who's playing around with an E10k among other things in his basement.

H110Hawk posted:

I'd forgotten. :stonk:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

:911:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

H110Hawk posted:

Nope but it's been over a decade and a lot of weed since then!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Nope but it's been over a decade and a lot of weed since then!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, my desire for a silent HTPC/NAS in the living room came back to bite me in the rear end. I have an ITX motherboard with a passively-cooled Celeron J4105 in a Fractal Node 304, with a 140mm fan in the back and two 92mm fans in front. All three fans run temperature controlled by the MB (CPU temp for rear fan, MB temp for the front fans), with a target temp of 45C and the lowest fan speed. This does work pretty well, since the CPU idles at around 35C with barely any airflow, so the fans basically just idle a gentle and very quiet stream of air through the case, keeping the disks around 30C as well. The disks are the loudest part of the build, and they're barely audible even close up, aside from the old Samsung 1TB that I threw in there just because I had it.

Dumbass me didn't even think to consider the PCIe SATA card and whether that was getting enough air blown across it, when pushing a lot of I/O. At least not until my NFS shares were suddenly read-only and dmesg showed a bunch of btrfs checksum errors :v:

At first I thought I was losing a disk, but SMART showed nothing and the heatsink on the SATA card was toasty, to say the least. Apparently those Marvell chips do get quite hot under heavy load.

I cleaned up the cable management in the case and cut off the extra CPU and PCIe power cables from the PSU, since they were just getting in the way of the airflow, there really isn't much room in there with a full complement of disks. I had a spare heatsink from a Raspberry Pi project, so I stuck that on the back of the SATA card behind the controller chip, I figure that should help a bit. Right now it's running fine with that done and the fans on a medium speed, but a bit of active cooling for the SATA card seems sorely needed.

Keep those temperatures under close watch!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 1, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I've had a marvell go past 100C lol

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, my desire for a silent HTPC/NAS in the living room came back to bite me in the rear end. I have an ITX motherboard with a passively-cooled Celeron J4105 in a Fractal Node 304, with a 140mm fan in the back and two 92mm fans in front. All three fans run temperature controlled by the MB (CPU temp for rear fan, MB temp for the front fans), with a target temp of 45C and the lowest fan speed. This does work pretty well, since the CPU idles at around 35C with barely any airflow, so the fans basically just idle a gentle and very quiet stream of air through the case, keeping the disks around 30C as well. The disks are the loudest part of the build, and they're barely audible even close up, aside from the old Samsung 1TB that I threw in there just because I had it.

Dumbass me didn't even think to consider the PCIe SATA card and whether that was getting enough air blown across it, when pushing a lot of I/O. At least not until my NFS shares were suddenly read-only and dmesg showed a bunch of btrfs checksum errors :v:

At first I thought I was losing a disk, but SMART showed nothing and the heatsink on the SATA card was toasty, to say the least. Apparently those Marvell chips do get quite hot under heavy load.

I cleaned up the cable management in the case and cut off the extra CPU and PCIe power cables from the PSU, since they were just getting in the way of the airflow, there really isn't much room in there with a full complement of disks. I had a spare heatsink from a Raspberry Pi project, so I stuck that on the back of the SATA card behind the controller chip, I figure that should help a bit. Right now it's running fine with that done and the fans on a medium speed, but a bit of active cooling for the SATA card seems sorely needed.

I have a tiny rear end fan bolted onto the passive heat sink of my sata card. I’ve posted it in this thread somewhere. Helps keep it pretty cool.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I'm either going to strap a spare fan in front of it, or buy a Raspberry Pi heatsink+fan on eBay.

There isn't really any good way to screw a small fan directly to it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

I've had a marvell go past 100C lol
I've had an entire datacenter of Marvell controllers (that I didn't order, I was brought in to rootcause), which would decide that full load was a great time to start pretending that they didn't see a random amount of disks anymore.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I'm either going to strap a spare fan in front of it, or buy a Raspberry Pi heatsink+fan on eBay.

There isn't really any good way to screw a small fan directly to it.

If it has a heat sink, I just have screws wedged into the heat sink fins. Works really well. Screw em down a little and they’ll wedge into the fins.

You can also zip tie it.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Is it safe to say the dream of buying a high capacity drive for under $25/TB is dead for the foreseeable future?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A Bag of Milk posted:

Is it safe to say the dream of buying a high capacity drive for under $25/TB is dead for the foreseeable future?

The more desirable ones seem to not be going on sale regularly like they were: https://shucks.top/
There are still some drives for under that, though this one is probably SMR and isn't that big:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15063103-5tb-wd-easystore-external-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drive-bestbuy-100?src=tdw

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If it has a heat sink, I just have screws wedged into the heat sink fins. Works really well. Screw em down a little and they’ll wedge into the fins.

You can also zip tie it.

It's a very tiny heatsink, about 25x15mm, and the smallest fan I have is a 30mm, so I could get one corner screwed in. Maybe if I loop a couple of thin zipties around the board in front of the PCIe connector, that could hold the fan.

I've got an 80mm fan and I found a cheap PCI slot bracket to hold it, probably designed for graphics cards. An 80mm fan is obviously ridiculous overkill, but if it works, it works.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a very tiny heatsink, about 25x15mm, and the smallest fan I have is a 30mm, so I could get one corner screwed in. Maybe if I loop a couple of thin zipties around the board in front of the PCIe connector, that could hold the fan.

I've got an 80mm fan and I found a cheap PCI slot bracket to hold it, probably designed for graphics cards. An 80mm fan is obviously ridiculous overkill, but if it works, it works.
If you have a spare daughterboard bracket, you can screw a fan into the hole that's in the middle of the PCB on the image you attached.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's certainly a possibility, I have plenty of spare brackets of all kinds.

The current plan is to ditch the 80mm fan idea, and go with a 40mm Noctua fan and zip-ties, around the board in front of the PCIe connector and right between the two small electrolytics. As long as I get some air movement over that heatsink, it should be fine.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

That's certainly a possibility, I have plenty of spare brackets of all kinds.

The current plan is to ditch the 80mm fan idea, and go with a 40mm Noctua fan and zip-ties, around the board in front of the PCIe connector and right between the two small electrolytics. As long as I get some air movement over that heatsink, it should be fine.

This is what I did for my HBA and dual SFP card. both heatsinks went from not being able to put your fingers on them for more than a second to as cool as everything else @ idle.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
loving awesome, love that!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh god tiny noctua fans are adorable :allears:

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

priznat posted:

And ridiculously quiet for their size!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gonna Send It posted:

And ridiculously quiet for their size!

They don't move much air, which I found out the hard way trying to replace all the fans on my 3D printers with Noctuas to cut noise :shepface:

But literally any airflow will be enough to cool that chip so I'd use it for this in a heartbeat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As long as it's better than the little 30mm 5V fan from my Raspberry Pi project, that thing has a really annoying mosquito-like whine, while not actually moving very much air. Running it at 3.3V is a bit better, but where do you find 3.3V easily in a modern PC?

A spare SATA connector, I guess?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 2, 2021

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

As long as it's better than the little 30mm 5V fan from my Raspberry Pi project, that thing has a really annoying mosquito-like whine, while not actually moving very much air. Running it at 3.3V is a bit better, but where do you find 3.3V easily in a modern PC?

A spare SATA connector, I guess?

Yeah, it's nothing like that at all. I can't hear it inside the case (Fractal Define R5) over drive noise and 3x 140mm fans.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

wow yeah that's v cute

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It bugs me that consumer stuff is still upside down. Flipping it over would help so much.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

H110Hawk posted:

It bugs me that consumer stuff is still upside down. Flipping it over would help so much.

are you talkiing about the label?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Expansion cards, they have all their components on the underside in an upright PC case, which is less than ideal from a cooling perspective, especially for passively-cooled cards.

I think the last cards that were right side up were ISA cards?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The atx standard in general sucks, video cards use more power than cpus now but have to fit in a space 1” high with the hot parts facing down and bad airflow.

You should be able to put a tower cooler on a video card.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember BTX and what a wet fart that turned out to be, and it did have the side flipped so expansion cards faced up iirc.

It was pretty forward thinking with actual emphasis on airflow and cooling and the fans blowing over the passive heatsink cpus instead of fans on top etc.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

sharkytm posted:

Glad to amuse

Should have done the newbie test and ask him to take one out before it has spun down.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What's great is Dell towers do it right, and it wouldn't even break anything to just mount everything upside down but noooo way we can mirror the standoffs!

I'm sure a bunch of neckbeards would be upset but I can't think of why.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Inverted ATX cases were a thing for a while, but I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a Corsair Carbide 600C that I still really like. Yes I know the radiator is in a bad spot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

They clearly should've realized that over a quarter century later, devices would be pulling more power through daughterboard(s) than the entire system used back then, and that the PSU wouldn't be the only fan in the entire case.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh, motherfucker, this is exactly the problem I was having! I think you just solved it for me. Shame I don't have any spare fans on hand, but one will be arriving soon! You've saved me an enormous amount of headache. Poked the heatsinks yesterday, and yep, they're super fuckin' hot. Thank you!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I hope it stops giving errors once the temperature gets under control again :)

I always try to get the beefiest coolers I can reasonably fit, with the largest possible fans. After all, if it can cool a 250W TDP CPU at full tilt, it can cool a 100W TDP CPU at lazy mode speeds and be very quiet. I have a completely overkill Scythe cooler on my Phenom II, and at normal loads the 120mm PWM fan spins so slowly, you can easily count the revolutions. Before that, I had one of those gigantic Zalman flower coolers on my Pentium 4 and a very large double-sided passive cooler for my Geforce 4 (with a large fan at 7V suspended in front of it), for the same reasons. Never skimp on cooling.

It didn't cross my mind that SATA controllers would get that hot, until I burned my finger :v:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 4, 2021

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

KozmoNaut posted:

I hope it stops giving errors once the temperature gets under control again :)

I always try to get the beefiest coolers I can reasonably fit, with the largest possible fans. After all, if it can cool a 250W TDP CPU at full tilt, it can cool a 100W TDP CPU at lazy mode speeds and be very quiet. I have a completely overkill Scythe cooler on my Phenom II, and at normal loads the 120mm PWM fan spins so slowly, you can easily count the revolutions. Before that, I had one of those gigantic Zalman flower coolers on my Pentium 4 and a very large double-sided passive cooler for my Geforce 4 (with a large fan at 7V suspended in front of it), for the same reasons. Never skimp on cooling.

It didn't cross my mind that SATA controllers would get that hot, until I burned my finger :v:

Yeah, I never thought about the SATA controller either. Memory? Sure, there's a reason the RPi4 has a heatsink for the memory. But I never really thought about the load that eight SATA devices would put on a controller at full tilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a 5-6 services running on a Synology NAS (ie, Calibre). If I want to access them from outside my network, what's the best way to do this? VPN?