Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Ihmemies posted:

Is there a reason bikes don't have dynamos or something to charge batteries? I mean in bikes where they have electronic shifters. It would be only a couple of watts. Maybe even don't have a battery at all and just use a capacitor to store the energy for gear changes?

Someone turned me on to Priority Bicycles as a recommendation for a replacement for my hybrid - and they have a model that has a dynamo for powering small items. The bike probably weighs 50 lbs though.

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/continuumonyx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SimonSays posted:

You can also feel the 3w and while it doesn't change much to a ride, it's not as pleasant a feeling.
You must be the princess and the pea of bicycles.

I would argue that most people can't feel the difference riding a hub dynamo (other than just extra weight on the bike). Still would be dumb to put on and actual racing bike of course.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 3, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
a dynamo for your electronic shifting is trying to solve a problem that really doesn't exist
just plug it in to charge the battery once every 1400 miles and you're fine

if you're doing some crazy poo poo where you can't do that and your battery is going to run out you probably should be running mech anyways for ease of repair

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah it's London wanker as hell

I had them as "cambridge" but yeah

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Everyone on god's green earth has three thousand micro-USB cables by now
I have never broken a micro-USB connector and I don't know anyone who has.

It's an absolutely trivial thing to base your purchases on.

It's okay to admit to being wrong. You're wrong. No one is saying they don't have tons of micro usb cables , no one is saying they've broken a micro usb connector. What they're saying is it's 2021 usb c exists and new products should have it. That's it. Stop defending lovely companies being lovely. Most people clearly want usb-c, the technology has existed for awhile now, there's no loving excuse.

Calling the CEO of Wahoo and threatening to beat him up unless he makes a bike computer with a USB-C port

Why don't we go back to pretending to not understand why people want usb-c in their ereader. Accept crap from companies, get crap from companies.

Anyway my Karoo 2 came today so maybe I'll try it. Looks like rain though so maybe not.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 3, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I run a voluntary tech support silver surfers group and the sooner we switch to USB-C the sooner I have to stop taking angry phone calls from idiots saying “I repeatedly smashed the charger cable in upside down and broke the device YOU recommended I get and it’s all YOUR fault what are “YOU” going to do about it” the better.

E: The reason I don’t recommend Apple is because there is no way in hell I’m dealing with telling old people they need to go to the Apple bar in the mall one city over and they have to book online first.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 3, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The idea that you wouldn’t buy a device because you don’t like the port it uses to charge is flabbergasting. It’s a triviality.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

The idea that you wouldn’t buy a device because you don’t like the port it uses to charge is flabbergasting. It’s a triviality.

Who in this thread said that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sab0921 posted:

Someone turned me on to Priority Bicycles as a recommendation for a replacement for my hybrid - and they have a model that has a dynamo for powering small items. The bike probably weighs 50 lbs though.

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/continuumonyx

30.5lbs, apparently
https://bikerumor.com/2017/10/16/re...in%20the%20hub.

Duck and Cover posted:

Anyway my Karoo 2 came today so maybe I'll try it. Looks like rain though so maybe not.

you're supposed to be reviewing the touchscreen usability in rainy conditions :colbert:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Meanwhile my garmin edge explorer is terrible and keeps “making GBS threads the bed” as my dear old nan would say. I think it’s a combination of battery saving mode, which it needs to be in for rides longer than an hour, and not connecting to satellites before I hit start which makes the screen go white when you end ride and then deletes all data but the ride time. I also can’t use my very expensive OS maps card in it.

There is no solution to this I just bought the wrong device. :(

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

30.5lbs, apparently
https://bikerumor.com/2017/10/16/re...in%20the%20hub.
you're supposed to be reviewing the touchscreen usability in rainy conditions :colbert:

I think instead I'll watch Stargate, maybe install the varia radar so I'm all set tomorrow. Of course if does rain and the roads are wet I might not bike tomorrow either.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 3, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

a dynamo for your electronic shifting is trying to solve a problem that really doesn't exist
just plug it in to charge the battery once every 1400 miles and you're fine

if you're doing some crazy poo poo where you can't do that and your battery is going to run out you probably should be running mech anyways for ease of repair

Here’s an idea: a reservoir that automatically drips out carefully metered quantities of lube onto your chain as you ride

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

100m spool of shifter cable that advances slightly with each shift, like a string trimmer

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

meltie posted:

I had them as "cambridge" but yeah

Don't see a lot of ebikes in town here, it's too small and flat. Mostly delivery guys.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Steve French posted:

Here’s an idea: a reservoir that automatically drips out carefully metered quantities of lube onto your chain as you ride

This is one of those things someone actually did isn't it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Levitate posted:

Yeah it works like crap. Also because "a shortage of lube" isn't what causes chain damage and the opposite is more normal.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Levitate posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/road.cc/content/news/164209-scottoiler-cycle-s1-automatic-chain-lubrication-system-launches-kickstarter%3famp

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Steve French posted:

This is an actual thing you can set up on motorcycles as well. I had one on my ancient CB750. Its usefulness was debatable.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
One month of owning bike and I'm 250 miles in. Coworker recommended the town bike group and I didn't realize it was so huge. Went on a group ride yesterday that was already broken up by groups A,B,C,D and our C group had to be broken up into 3 separate groups because we had so many people. It was a ton of fun and looking forward to riding at least twice a week with a group. Also when I got back to my car some lady yelled "LOVE THAT GREEN BIKE!" which is fair because I too love this green bike. I'm up to 30 mile rides around 15mph now and will slowly be working up to 40+mi rides as I feel comfortable. Bikes own and I wish I bought one years ago.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

poemdexter posted:

One month of owning bike and I'm 250 miles in. Coworker recommended the town bike group and I didn't realize it was so huge. Went on a group ride yesterday that was already broken up by groups A,B,C,D and our C group had to be broken up into 3 separate groups because we had so many people. It was a ton of fun and looking forward to riding at least twice a week with a group. Also when I got back to my car some lady yelled "LOVE THAT GREEN BIKE!" which is fair because I too love this green bike. I'm up to 30 mile rides around 15mph now and will slowly be working up to 40+mi rides as I feel comfortable. Bikes own and I wish I bought one years ago.

the pic didn't load fyi

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I mean just look at it. LOOK AT IT! :swoon:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

:hmmyes:

poemdexter posted:

Heard lots of praise for the Allez as an all round frame

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Heard lots of praise for the Allez as an all round frame

As a first time consumer looking at the bikes and prices, my Allez Elite felt like best bang for buck getting started. 100% gonna ride this thing foreverrrrr.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

poemdexter posted:

that is a lovely bike! congratulations!!

poemdexter posted:

As a first time consumer looking at the bikes and prices, my Allez Elite felt like best bang for buck getting started. 100% gonna ride this thing foreverrrrr.
Yeah, people really rate the Allez as a fab getting-started bike. I love mine.

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 3, 2021

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I have a question for Garmin users. I have a Garmin Edge 530. I set up three different profiles for my three different bikes and I created each of my bikes in the Gear section of Garmin Connect, but I can't figure out how to assign a bike to each of my profiles so that it will automatically add the kms to a specific bike.

Right now I have to manually edit the ride afterwards if I want to track the kms of the bike I rode, since Garmin will just select the first bike I entered.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

would any kind person be willing to tell me if this is the correct orientation for the part in my hand that connects the saddle? or should it be rotated 180 degrees

i'm replacing my numb crotch saddle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Try the Other way, the bit towards the handlebars is pointier so I think the mouth and sunglasses are looking down to it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks

ugh putting the new one on is such a pain in the rear end

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 3, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh yeah that's right I don't like exercise and I'm in very poor shape.

I don't think those are usb c capable.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 4, 2021

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Thanks for the replies yesterday. Went to two shops locally and neither had anything in stock that fit me. The first shop has a Specialized bike, I think the Diverge, showing up at the end of the month, and the other a Giant Advent AR in the next week or two in my size. That's it. I may still put an order in on a Ribble steel frame just in case.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Went on a 10mi ride after posting and saw 22 rabbits (new personal best).

I also checked around my bike and all I have are brake cables and no usb-c cables. Maybe Specialized Allez bad?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

CopperHound posted:

You must be the princess and the pea of bicycles.

I would argue that most people can't feel the difference riding a hub dynamo (other than just extra weight on the bike). Still would be dumb to put on and actual racing bike of course.

I don't mind the feeling, I have dynamos on three bikes, but every brand I've used, you can feel the difference between lights on and lights off, mainly if you're rolling at more than 25km/h when the efficiency of the dynamo drops a bit.

Doesn't make a lick of difference in the city, but city bikes don't have di2 usually.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Koth posted:

I have a question for Garmin users. I have a Garmin Edge 530. I set up three different profiles for my three different bikes and I created each of my bikes in the Gear section of Garmin Connect, but I can't figure out how to assign a bike to each of my profiles so that it will automatically add the kms to a specific bike.

Right now I have to manually edit the ride afterwards if I want to track the kms of the bike I rode, since Garmin will just select the first bike I entered.

I’m pretty sure the bike specific profiles are gone, and you have to select the bike afterward.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I regret not getting the dynamo hub option on my Brompton.

I had it on my commuting bike in the early 2010 decade and it made riding at night worry free.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vando posted:

It's 2021, any new release that doesn't have USB-C should be rightfully marked down. Maybe not a dealbreaker for most people, but I can easily see why it's annoying.

I think the problem for me is Wahoo LOVES to cut corners when it comes to BOM and assembly. I went through two KICKRv5s and am on my third since the end of January. They almost all implode just like the KICKR18s. Plus there's the whole radio interference issue some of us experience with active wireless devices placed beneath it...(I know, I know, wrap your $250 computer in tinfoil.)

So if Wahoo spent a few extra cents on an USB Type-C port, it's not unreasonable to wonder if they skimped somewhere else to hit their margins. USB Type-C would probably be one of the first features I'd be willing to give up if it meant $1 could be put into a better radio, SoC, slightly larger screen, slightly larger battery, or whatever..

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 4, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

For what it's worth Garmin devices were also affected by the interference coming from that camera I built shielding for so you can probably stop using that as a dig.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Went for a ride with the new seat but it was actually worse. Some of that might be expected though as I may not have the positioning exactly the same as the old seat. I'm going to try to get a professional fitting done, but in the meantime here's what I noticed:

1) some pain in knees - increased seat height a bit
2) more crotch numbness, and some numbness pain all the way in my upper thigh which I had never felt before

I tried moving the seat forward a bit, as looking at my previous seat pic I think it was too far back, i.e. my junk was sitting right on the nose

I still had crotch pain, not as much in the upper thighs - when I get home I lowered it a bit to where it was with my old seat, and also realized it was pointed upwards a bit so I leveled it

in general, would it be fair to say that, all other things being equal, a seat that is too low will result in knee pain, and a seat that is so high will result in crotch pain or numbness, and so you are trying to find what might be a very tiny zone in between?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Coxswain Balls posted:

For what it's worth Garmin devices were also affected by the interference coming from that camera I built shielding for so you can probably stop using that as a dig.

Your setup doesn't matter to me. Mine does. I wasn't willing to go that route to get a "working" product. I've done the same segments over and over with GoPros, the Fly12 CE and various ANT+ enabled lights + Bolt or various Garmins. The old Bolt was the only one that would completely lose satellites or draw hilarious tracks around a trivial office park crit course. It performed far worse near taller buildings or in the hills.

e: The Bolt even performed worse depending on whether the out-front mount was made of plastic or alloy like a K-Edge.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 4, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

actionjackson posted:

in general, would it be fair to say that, all other things being equal, a seat that is too low will result in knee pain, and a seat that is too high will result in crotch pain or numbness, and so you are trying to find what might be a very tiny zone in between?

I think most people should be able to tolerate a range, even if there's one fit that is ideal.
If it's easier to get numbness, that could also have to do with the specific shape of the new saddle, which might be sharper or have a pressure area somewhere you're not used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

All I said is that the issue you poked at me for when I made my own solution because I'm a filthy poor also ended up occurring with a Garmin device. It's great that you've had better luck with yours.