Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Be careful of that paint, there is a very good chance it has lead in it, and some of it is flying off every time you operate those windows. I read some studies that said operating painted windows is one of the biggest sources of lead contamination in a house, and also that regular house cleaning significantly reduces lead exposure.

I would consider having some window restorers come over to take a look and make recommendations. You can go anywhere from just getting someone to open up the stuck windows to full restoration and paint removal depending on interest and budget. I landed somewhere in the middle--I didn't fully strip everything but had them get rid of all paint in any friction locations and repaint the sashes. It was expensive but of all the house repairs I've done its one of the ones I'm happiest with.

I know a lot of this is dependent on area, but do you mind sharing what you paid per window or a total cost?

I have an old house with 100+ year old windows that need to be unstuck from years of painting and need screens made for them, but I just don’t have the time to do it with two small children. The other option being new windows which is serious $$$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I know a lot of this is dependent on area, but do you mind sharing what you paid per window or a total cost?

I have an old house with 100+ year old windows that need to be unstuck from years of painting and need screens made for them, but I just don’t have the time to do it with two small children. The other option being new windows which is serious $$$$

It was about $750-1,000 per window depending on condition. They charged a rate of I think $78/hr plus materials. Probably half of the cost was billable hours back at their shop working on the sashes themselves, so if you don't want to get that deep into it you'll pay a lot less.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Ahh holy poo poo I guess I’ll by buying new windows and keeping these in storage for the future dream of restoring them myself one day.

I just want windows that open and have screens so my cat doesn’t escape :(

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Ahh holy poo poo I guess I’ll by buying new windows and keeping these in storage for the future dream of restoring them myself one day.

If that is all you want you will spend much less than I did. And not sure you will be able to get brand new windows installed for less money. If you do they probably won't last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgivH6kbkk

mcgreenvegtables fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 3, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

If that's all want for the time being, then all you need is a box cutter and crowbar for prying the windows open, and then a bunch of these $5 screens: https://www.homedepot.com/p/W-B-Marvin-37-in-x-10-in-Grey-Aluminum-Adjustable-Window-Screen-AWS1037/202094103 (we have these and they are great). If you have cut cords, you can learn how to replace them yourself on YouTube (husband and I did this).

Buying new windows for temporary installation, even the grossest cheapest vinyl ones, would be a massive, wasteful expense. You'd save buttloads of money with a bit of effort to make the existing windows operable right now while saving for professional restoration or slowly going through a DIY restoration.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

If that's all want for the time being, then all you need is a box cutter and crowbar for prying the windows open, and then a bunch of these $5 screens: https://www.homedepot.com/p/W-B-Marvin-37-in-x-10-in-Grey-Aluminum-Adjustable-Window-Screen-AWS1037/202094103 (we have these and they are great). If you have cut cords, you can learn how to replace them yourself on YouTube (husband and I did this).

Buying new windows for temporary installation, even the grossest cheapest vinyl ones, would be a massive, wasteful expense. You'd save buttloads of money with a bit of effort to make the existing windows operable right now while saving for professional restoration or slowly going through a DIY restoration.

This is 100% the correct answer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Please don't replace old wood windows that aren't completely dry rotted beyond existence, esp to save money.
Any modern window that won't look like complete rear end in an old house will cost $Texas and won't look perfect anyhow. Even cheap windows it's probably a wash, so stick to the old ones.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

The Previous Owner (:argh:) replaced the old wood windows with cheap poo poo vinyl ones, and over the past two years we’ve had to replace about 10 of the poorly made window balances that decide to fail on a regular basis. We keep a spare stash of them around because these windows are poo poo.

Don’t get lovely vinyl windows.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Is there any decent way to monitor daily water usage besides looking at the water meter every day? Want to get a sense of how much water our sprinkler system uses on a normal run.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Is there any decent way to monitor daily water usage besides looking at the water meter every day? Want to get a sense of how much water our sprinkler system uses on a normal run.

They make hose heads with water gauges on them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm planning to replace my original 1950 wood windows and I don't think anyone can talk me out of it. The old windows look nice but they let in so much heat and noise. Also gently caress reglazing 12 panes of glass per window, which they all need because the glass is hazy from the wind blowing our sandy soil against them for 70 years. Some so much that you can't even really see out of them anymore.

I'm not in a historic neighborhood or anything and most, if not all of my neighbors have already replaced theirs.

E: I should also mention bugs keep finding ways through gaps in them despite my best efforts to weather seal them. I had to be "that owner" and caulk my kitchen window closed because roaches were coming in through it.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 3, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Postwar windows are kind of a different beast. I once rented a 50's duplex with original windows, but old weird crank style aluminum ones. I didn't really like them. When most folks talk about saving old windows, they mean the prewar ones.

To note, in the context of the last few posts, glazing means applying putty around the edge of the pane to hold it in place and wouldn't affect haziness of the entire pane. If they're just etched from being sandblasted for 70 years, then welp, nothing you can do other than replace all the panes or the entire windows.

Maybe this time around add some storm panes that'll be easier and cheaper to replace upon getting etched up? Also, if you have the means/space, planting a row of trees as a windbreak might help.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Depending on your meter there are several "smart home" type solutions that can "read" it and present data in an app (they don't know what the number says on it, they detect when it's spinning). Flume and Streamlabs comes to mind.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I suppose there's no reason not to replace my aluminum sash single pane, badly frosted over windows with vinyl double pane modern jobbies? it's not like these old fine wood ones where they're worth restoring.

I was planning on doing the whole house when i got some $ in july

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody recently-ish bought new JELD-WEN interior doors for your house? You have until June 25 to file a claim for potential free money if you live in the right states: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/household/interior-molded-doors-19-5m-antitrust-class-action-settlement/

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My recently purchased house was built around 1960 and I have the same bad post-war windows. The previous owners updated the big picture window in the front room, the big picture window in the kitchen and the sliding glass door to the back with Marvins, but the bedrooms still have the old windows. The ones facing south are frosted over and the locks are broken.

Coincidentally/consequently, we have problems with humidity, as it'll get above 70% RH inside easily without running a dehumidifier on humid days. I think the old windows are letting moisture in, and am hoping that finishing the window replacement job will remediate this. It'll suck to spend $5k on replacing the remaining old windows and still being stuck having to run a dehumidifier constantly, but I'm not sure what else would reduce the humidity. We're beyond the typical advice of not having long hot showers and making sure to run exhaust fans.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gay_crimes posted:

My recently purchased house was built around 1960 and I have the same bad post-war windows. The previous owners updated the big picture window in the front room, the big picture window in the kitchen and the sliding glass door to the back with Marvins, but the bedrooms still have the old windows. The ones facing south are frosted over and the locks are broken.

Coincidentally/consequently, we have problems with humidity, as it'll get above 70% RH inside easily without running a dehumidifier on humid days. I think the old windows are letting moisture in, and am hoping that finishing the window replacement job will remediate this. It'll suck to spend $5k on replacing the remaining old windows and still being stuck having to run a dehumidifier constantly, but I'm not sure what else would reduce the humidity. We're beyond the typical advice of not having long hot showers and making sure to run exhaust fans.

Are you on a slab or crawlspace or basement or what?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are you on a slab or crawlspace or basement or what?

I’m on slab, the humidity around here for the past month has been around 80% on average and it’s rained nearly every day since moving in 6 weeks ago. Not hot enough to run the AC for more than a few hours a day, which should help once it gets really hot in the summer. I’m in Austin, TX for reference

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 3, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gay_crimes posted:

I’m on slab, the humidity around here for the past month has been around 80% on average and it’s rained nearly every day since moving in 6 weeks ago. Not hot enough to run the AC for more than a few hours a day, which should help once it gets really hot in the summer. I’m in Austin, TX for reference
I think you have a weather problem not a house problem. Running your AC more will help, but running a dehumidifier like you're doing may be cheaper.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
As an allergy-haver and person who likes not being sticky in the summer, a dehumidifier is essential when dewpoints regularly get above 60°f. The noise (when nearby the unit) and the electricity expense are more than worth the added comfort.

If you can run it into a drain, even better. Set it and forget it, other than to check and clean off the air filter every couple weeks.

E: also true for humidifiers in winter. In the Midwest we get stupid dry air in the winter, like sub-25% indoor RH regularly if no humidity is injected. I've had about enough of lugging tanks of water down to the humidifier, so we're gonna put in an Aprilaire or similar unit in the coming months.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 3, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

floridaliver with slab here: yeah sometimes it just fuckin gets humid. a/c helps. see my above post, hoping new windows and sliding doors helps, i know i have some air leaks.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Think I posted in here about the artificial lawn I had put in my yard and at the same time they damaged the real grass outside with a skid steer. Still not fixed so I told them to not bother and had the owner price me out replacing all the grass with desert scaping with a decent discount. Going to plant some cactus and other drought resistant plants and return the mower I just bought. I know why the builder put grass and an irrigation system in but it seems wasteful to grow grass in the desert.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

BigPaddy posted:

Think I posted in here about the artificial lawn I had put in my yard and at the same time they damaged the real grass outside with a skid steer. Still not fixed so I told them to not bother and had the owner price me out replacing all the grass with desert scaping with a decent discount. Going to plant some cactus and other drought resistant plants and return the mower I just bought. I know why the builder put grass and an irrigation system in but it seems wasteful to grow grass in the desert.

This is the correct move. Might depend on your state but I thought some desert localities like LA offer rebates or something when you convert to desert friendly landscaping.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Yep, I will get $150 from the city fire replacing the grass with not grass.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Part of the humidity challenge for me is that I’ve always lived in poorly insulated old buildings. This is one of the most well insulated places I’ve lived but it seems to make it more humid in here. I don’t know if the insulation traps in moisture, or just requires far less air conditioning which results in more humidity, or perhaps both. We’ll see in the summer once it dries up and runs highs in the 100s

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Motronic posted:

Depending on your meter there are several "smart home" type solutions that can "read" it and present data in an app (they don't know what the number says on it, they detect when it's spinning). Flume and Streamlabs comes to mind.

Thank you! Will check these out.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Jesus Christ I don’t even wanna think about how much this is costing a neighbor. Entirely new backyard, fence, pool, landscaping, patio, 3+ season room (wood furnace), etc.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Window chat, I've got old pre war wood windows, and some old (but not as old as the wood windows) aluminum storm windows. Upon reflection, it might be the storms that I hate more than the wood windows. I need to replace one storm anyway (bullet damage, lol). Good Larson storm windows appear to be under $200 a piece and it seems like removing the old storms and putting in new ones is a DIY job so it would only be a few thousand for the whole house. And assuming I'm correct that Larson is a good brand, I'd get some energy efficiencies out of it as well.

Am I crazy or is this a good idea?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gay_crimes posted:

Is your ductwork in the slab? If so, it's possibly making your issue worse. I had mine coated with some goop that's supposed to keep the water mostly out, as well as plug up any holes. It's... definitely helped with the latter, but only somewhat with the former.

Whole house dehumidifiers are a thing - if I had to do it again I'd put in one of these - https://www.santa-fe-products.com/product/ultra-aire-sd12/ . With the "regular" ones, you end up heating up your house a bunch.

Also, see if you can dig up the manual to your furnace. It's possible you have a "dehumidify" mode which runs the fan slower when air conditioning. This helps pull more water out of the air, and may not be something whoever installed it set up.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i put in a claim with my homeowners regarding my roof damage, due to a hailstorm. they denied the claim, citing the damage was under my deductible.

except they used my hurricane deductible of $5500 and not my standard $1000 deductible.

place your bets on how easily this'll unfuck itself tomorrow.

Update: so far i can only get voice mail on my claims adjuster. this is going very well so far. if these people don't think i'll lawyer up over $4500, they are sadly mistaken.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 4, 2021

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
My deck was a DIY job from the previous owners that is not at all to code, but feels sturdy enough for now. I want to add some extra stabilization and support so that I don't have to worry about BBQing on it or the kids playing on it in the meantime. I'm hoping to push off a rebuild for 2-3 years.

As you can see in the pictures, none of the posts are square, and the one closest to the camera is particularly askew.

My current plan is to jack up the deck and put in new posts, add joist hangers, etc. What I don't want to do is dig the six foot hole and pour the 500lbs of concrete I'd need for each pier if I were doing this for a permanent fix.

These things look a little rinkydink: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pylex-adjustable-50-inch-foundation-screw/1000746285
But would they be better than a deck block?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

These things look a little rinkydink: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pylex-adjustable-50-inch-foundation-screw/1000746285
But would they be better than a deck block?

Depends on your soil. I don't like the way they look at all.

But, you may be worried about the wrong thing first. Let's see how it's attached to the house.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Motronic posted:

Depends on your soil. I don't like the way they look at all.

But, you may be worried about the wrong thing first. Let's see how it's attached to the house.

No. :ohdear:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol. Thought so.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

It's as bad as you'd expect:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

just another posted:

lmao

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

Oh holy poo poo. So yeah, that's actually the most important issue that needs to be addressed. There is no reasonable way I'm aware of to properly attach that with the deck in place, so you're going to need to pick up the compressive load with more posts, even if they're just on pavers. You should also do something like throwing a couple of lag bolts through each of those ledgers where they are "attached" to pick up lateral load.

I'd be MUCH more concerned with all of that. It looks like the most immediate problem. I mean, the other posts are still a pretty immediate problem, but I wouldn't go messing with them AT ALL with the way that thing is (not really) attached to the house. You have a good chance of bringing it down on your head while you're under there.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Okiedokie, thanks. I'll brace it as best I can and maybe bump the rebuild up a year (uuuggghhh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

What are the white boards connected to on the inside? Floor joists?