Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ballz posted:

I just took another look at the June RSD drop list and oof, this might be the first RSD in several years that's gonna really give my wallet a beating. Two of the three Mochilla Timeless concerts and Slum Village's Fantastic Vol. 2. All are double LPs so who knows what ridiculous markup we're looking at here.

The Gorillaz box set is going to murder me, you, everyone. I'll be surprised if its less than 300 bucks.

CaptainBeefart posted:

When the hell is my Disco Elysium OST 3XLP going to arrive?! Getting real impatient.

ah yes. This feeling will pass in time. Then, you'll get 5 albums you forgot about ordering!

incoherent fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Built a vacuum record cleaner today. Seems to work fine. I’ll build a box for it or something.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Songs and Pictures of the Fabulous Beatles. I think Discogs put it as 'Introducing... The Beatles' for some reason, and if you go to 'all versions' it ships you to Please Please me for some reason. But anyway, mine has an entirely black and white label on the disc and I'm pretty certain that marks it as a counterfeit.

I have one of these as well, via my father-in-law giving me his collection some time ago.

If memory serves, Songs and Pictures was the bootleg version of an authorized record called Songs, Pictures and Stories of the Fabulous Beatles, which was an artifact of the weird early US deals they cut circa their first album. SP dropped the last part of the title because SPS had a text section within the gatefold, two items this later record lacks.

...or I could have just pointed out the link you posted, which says all that.

also the most important part is the raw screaming weirdness of the beatlemania-soaked back cover message

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Trip report: vacuum cleaner works amazing. It’s making some gnarly old records sound brand new. I should have done this years ago.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BigFactory posted:

Trip report: vacuum cleaner works amazing. It’s making some gnarly old records sound brand new. I should have done this years ago.

Tell us how you built your ghetto squeaky clean.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CornHolio posted:

Songs and Pictures of the Fabulous Beatles. I think Discogs put it as 'Introducing... The Beatles' for some reason, and if you go to 'all versions' it ships you to Please Please me for some reason. But anyway, mine has an entirely black and white label on the disc and I'm pretty certain that marks it as a counterfeit.

I thought it might have been "Introducing..." since it was heavily bootlegged.

I picked up a legit copy (version 2) about 25 years ago for $2 at an estate sale. It still had the factory shrink-wrap (albeit opened) and the remnants of a price sticker.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

Tell us how you built your ghetto squeaky clean.

Cut down a shop vac attachment I wasn’t using and plugged one end. Drilled a hole to go over the spindle. Cut a little slot the length of the playing surface and lined both sides with velvet. I spent $3 on some velvet, everything else I had lying around.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
These are from a Goodwill run back in April. Apologies for the crappy pictures, I won't get my shelf set up for another couple of weeks.

(1960)

(1957/1958)

(1960)

Edit: Whoops, on further inspection, this is in fact some lame nursey album for little kids. Still, look at that gammon-rear end baby and the stoned rabbits.

(Year unknown)

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 1, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I mentioned these a while ago, but finally took pics:

(Creedence Clearwater Revival; 1969)

(1980)

(1982)

(1983)

(1983)

The back of that last one has some 80s-rear end fashion on it!

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

bigman.50grand posted:

I use this Boundless one and it works well. If you hate money go for a Zerostat.

It should be noted that ‘anti static’ brushes are nothing of the kind - they will actually generate static, just not as much as a ‘regular’ brush by dint of what they’re made of. Spin clean or other wet washers or zero stat will remove static (for a while)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rolo posted:

I’ve never listened to Lion’s Roar but I like Stay Gold. Guess I need to check it out?

Samsquamsch posted:

The first two tracks are what made me a fan of them, their vocals really shine. Also, I'm a total sucker for cool colors in a pressing, and all of these look great.

Just a heads up, I finally got a chance to check it out and I dig it a lot. Amazing first few tracks.

Edit: And there goes the Newbury order.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 1, 2021

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Rolo posted:

Just a heads up, I finally got a chance to check it out and I dig it a lot. Amazing first few tracks.

Edit: And there goes the Newbury order.

I canceled my first two orders (manually, shout out to their customer service department who even got back to me on a Saturday) so I could add more records to them. Looking forward to this package, and glad you found that album to be to your liking.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Read After Burning posted:

(1983)

The back of that last one has some 80s-rear end fashion on it!

The Pointer Sisters record has got some straight bangers on there. Top tier record.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Samsquamsch posted:

I canceled my first two orders (manually, shout out to their customer service department who even got back to me on a Saturday) so I could add more records to them. Looking forward to this package, and glad you found that album to be to your liking.

Oh snap if qualify for free shipping if I did the same. Time to call.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

dorium posted:

The Pointer Sisters record has got some straight bangers on there. Top tier record.

Yes! I actually have a slightly different version, as mine has I'm So Excited instead of Nightline.

I'm So Excited, Neutron Dance, and Jump have all been lip sync songs on Drag Race, and Automatic was on a GTA game (Vice City?). I absolutely fuckin' love Dance Electric, it may be my favorite on the album!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hexwren posted:

I have one of these as well, via my father-in-law giving me his collection some time ago.

If memory serves, Songs and Pictures was the bootleg version of an authorized record called Songs, Pictures and Stories of the Fabulous Beatles, which was an artifact of the weird early US deals they cut circa their first album. SP dropped the last part of the title because SPS had a text section within the gatefold, two items this later record lacks.

...or I could have just pointed out the link you posted, which says all that.

also the most important part is the raw screaming weirdness of the beatlemania-soaked back cover message

Yup that's exactly what the back of mine looks like. Not sure if it's worth anything or if it's even legal to sell but it's a cool piece of history nonetheless.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

My partner found this at our local place on Saturday, and he's been over the moon since. :3

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
gently caress now I feel bad for having given a copy of that Pointer Sisters record to a friend before I really got into records myself. I never actually listened to it, it was a record that you saw fairly frequently in the thrift store so I'd figured I'd find another and never did.

Today's purchase is Yakuza Heart Attack from Ship to Shore Records. I guess an 8 bit coating is all it takes for me to withstand prog/art rock. Here's the band's bandcamp if you want a listen: https://yakuzaheartattack.bandcamp.com/

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

My partner found this at our local place on Saturday, and he's been over the moon since. :3

I would be too if I found a copy. Nice!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

gently caress now I feel bad for having given a copy of that Pointer Sisters record to a friend before I really got into records myself. I never actually listened to it, it was a record that you saw fairly frequently in the thrift store so I'd figured I'd find another and never did.

Today's purchase is Yakuza Heart Attack from Ship to Shore Records. I guess an 8 bit coating is all it takes for me to withstand prog/art rock. Here's the band's bandcamp if you want a listen: https://yakuzaheartattack.bandcamp.com/

My friend who's a huge fan got extremely excited when I sent him this and preordered immediately, thanks. I've never listened to them and missed the local shows but have been following Keith's Orange Milk record label just for the artwork he does.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CaptainBeefart posted:

My friend who's a huge fan got extremely excited when I sent him this and preordered immediately, thanks. I've never listened to them and missed the local shows but have been following Keith's Orange Milk record label just for the artwork he does.

You're welcome. I generally find the best poo poo from random goon postings myself. Now I'm on to tempting fate by giving the RSD drop list a going over again thanks to Discogs reminding me. And gently caress me there's some tempting stuff I missed the first time I went through it, but do I really need a $100 box set of a bitchin Triumph live concert I already have on CD?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CaptainBeefart posted:

I would be too if I found a copy. Nice!

It's apparently pretty hard to find, I had no idea.

As for me, my main treasure from the weekend was exactly what I was looking for:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

First time record shopping in over a year. I went to Prospector Records here in Portland. I believe the owners post here? Anyways. Felt good (they have AC and its in the 90's here). Wish I had more time to browse.

Bossa Rio - Alegria Brazilian Soft Pop. I grabbed this for the Beatles covers mainly.

Mandre - Mandre Weird synth soul/funk. Kinda Parliamenty.

El Chicano - The Best of Everything 70's Funk/Soul

Special Herbs 1& 2 repress

The Electric Prunes - Mass in F Minor I remember passing this over in so many dollar bins hahah. Been looking for a copy so I had to snag it. Classic psych stuff by David Axelrod

Various - Bombers 2 Disco

Some Trucker CB radio record. Haven't really listened to it yet but I am a sucker for the CB fad of the 70's and 80's
https://www.vox.com/22397985/trucker-country-music-70s-fad

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

sporklift posted:

First time record shopping in over a year. I went to Prospector Records here in Portland. I believe the owners post here? Anyways. Felt good (they have AC and its in the 90's here). Wish I had more time to browse.

Bossa Rio - Alegria Brazilian Soft Pop. I grabbed this for the Beatles covers mainly.

Mandre - Mandre Weird synth soul/funk. Kinda Parliamenty.

El Chicano - The Best of Everything 70's Funk/Soul

Special Herbs 1& 2 repress

The Electric Prunes - Mass in F Minor I remember passing this over in so many dollar bins hahah. Been looking for a copy so I had to snag it. Classic psych stuff by David Axelrod

Various - Bombers 2 Disco

Some Trucker CB radio record. Haven't really listened to it yet but I am a sucker for the CB fad of the 70's and 80's
https://www.vox.com/22397985/trucker-country-music-70s-fad

I am half of the shop. I do post here, rarely. Thanks for coming in, we will keep the AC blasting.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
I had a good weekend.

There's a local sale each Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day weekends run by a British ex-pat. He advertises by hanging up sequential song lyric signs Burma-Shave style, and always has a garage and multiple giant tents filled with cleaned, graded, and reasonably priced lps (and cds). I've yet to go away empty-handed or disappointed. This weekend he was joined by another set of guys on the other side of town with tents filled with a bit of curated stuff and box after box of dollar records. Unlike the usual, the dollar records weren't a complete waste of time(!);

A couple shops in the area have decent selections, but gouge gouge gouge, so I'm happy to have done well this weekend.

1$ Records (after cleaning, all are VG+, except for one of the Ventures records which still sounds pretty good):

8$-12$:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fWY49Hx7/45416-AB6-718-C-4116-9296-BEC38-FECCDA4.jpg][/img]

And the more expensive lps that were still pretty good deals:

Also, here's my storage setup for those who were asking for suggestions earlier in the thread. It was made by the amish; lps stick out a bit, but I still like it:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Goddamn that's a great haul.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

BigFactory posted:

How’s the weather in Sheboygan?

lol that's literally where I'm from, we've got a nice shop over here

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

good day folks

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Does audiotechnica still get a good rep for go to vinyl players? I can’t really find any older used ones in my small town so I’m looking to get a new one.

Anything up to about 350-400$ Would be swell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sure. A 60 as a lowest entry point or a 120X as a better jump in. People were having issues finding them for retail price before, hopefully that’s sorted now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Does audiotechnica still get a good rep for go to vinyl players? I can’t really find any older used ones in my small town so I’m looking to get a new one.

Anything up to about 350-400$ Would be swell.

I love my 120 and it was about 300. All the record joints in my city have the 60 and 120 new, worth a shot before giving money to the amazon man.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I know we like to razz on VMP here, but:

https://twitter.com/cloudshillmusic/status/1400452842851225600

It's $60 for the standard black so this is actually a lot cheaper with a VMP membership.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I killed my account more than a year ago. you still have to wait for it to go into their store to pay the non-member price for it right?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

dorium posted:

I killed my account more than a year ago. you still have to wait for it to go into their store to pay the non-member price for it right?

Yes. I thought they still had one-month subs but a quick check of the site and it looks like the cheapest membership is $119 for three months.

Edit: Since you were a former member they might have a special deal available for you to re-join. Try logging in and see if there's an offer available.

Edit 2: Actually they do have a one-month membership for $43. You're gonna want to wait until after the album is officially announced on the 24th, otherwise you'll be getting The Doors.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 3, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Samsquamsch posted:

Bad: They couldn't get mine cancelled and bundled in time.

Good: Because they all shipped 2 days early. Getting all 3 colored presses by Monday.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ballz posted:

Yes. I thought they still had one-month subs but a quick check of the site and it looks like the cheapest membership is $119 for three months.

Edit: Since you were a former member they might have a special deal available for you to re-join. Try logging in and see if there's an offer available.

Edit 2: Actually they do have a one-month membership for $43. You're gonna want to wait until after the album is officially announced on the 24th, otherwise you'll be getting The Doors.

ah ok, thanks for the info. I'll wait then.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

This just shipped to me today; worth checking out if y'all like synthpop. Plus the record is quite pretty. :3

https://sofakingvinyl.com/album/girls-on-bikes-boys-on-boards-24-bit

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pretzellogic posted:

1$ Records (after cleaning, all are VG+, except for one of the Ventures records which still sounds pretty good):

Of note: Little Deuce Coupe was not only the third Beach Boys album of 1963, it was released 30 days after Surfer Girl. That it's even mediocre is amazing.

The live Ventures album has part of a superb version of Caravan. Here's the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRXyWvyZJoA

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sure. A 60 as a lowest entry point or a 120X as a better jump in. People were having issues finding them for retail price before, hopefully that’s sorted now.

Turtle, I owe you a big apology. It is not you who is the little bitch, it is I who am the little bitch. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

None needed, it's a silly message board and I took nothing by it. I probably should've been less snarky with my original post, too.