Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Giant Tom Servo was great

"Movie bad... Movie go 'way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

This is a sweet and honest answer about why he probably isn't coming back to the show:
e: also the Mike politics answer is definitely a coded "Look, he isn't a Trump guy, but definitely don't ask about anything else," lol
Awhile back I downloaded Nelsons podcasts because he's funny, and that was some intense :brainworms: in terms of politics. If anything I think it shows how well crafted the show was that stuff like that didn't come through in the humour. Looking at old episodes there's for sure some riffs that wouldn't be done today, but that's just society/culture progressing I think than any specific political leaning.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dante posted:

Awhile back I downloaded Nelsons podcasts because he's funny, and that was some intense :brainworms: in terms of politics. If anything I think it shows how well crafted the show was that stuff like that didn't come through in the humour. Looking at old episodes there's for sure some riffs that wouldn't be done today, but that's just society/culture progressing I think than any specific political leaning.

I only listen to 372 Pages which, like RiffTrax, drives a huge ring around said :brainworms:, probably due to Conner also being on it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

I only listen to 372 Pages which, like RiffTrax, drives a huge ring around said :brainworms:, probably due to Conner also being on it.

Yeah, I haven't listened to any other podcasts he's been on but Mike seems fine in that particular show.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Hard to see on my phone, is that a brain worms smiley?

What are we talking about here, having conservative political views?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's really hard to hear the theme song in the music box prototype, the melody is all but drowned out by the accompanying lower notes.

https://v.kickstarter.com/162292229...d_h264_high.mp4

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

He was previously one of the hosts of a podcast called "MulletCast" alongside Doug TenNapel (Earthworm Jim guy and very loud born-again homophobe/transphobe) and Ethan Nicolle (artist who drew the comics for Axe Cop) where the discussions went pretty brainwormsy iirc. Mike pulled out of the podcast after catching heat for it though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mike also removed all mention of Lowtax from rifftrax within a day of the yikesaroo thread being posted. Maybe another person there is more on top of internet situations and was monitoring the situation, but he was still willing to instantly dump a bad guy the moment he found out.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

From what I can tell the situation with Mike’s political views is a) he doesn’t like Trump, b) he’s amicable about it enough to maintain his working relationships for decades even if it’s by the power of never talking politics in the shop, and c) he doesn’t put it in his comedy.

Pretty low bars to clear but it puts him ahead of some people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Mike also removed all mention of Lowtax from rifftrax within a day of the yikesaroo thread being posted. Maybe another person there is more on top of internet situations and was monitoring the situation, but he was still willing to instantly dump a bad guy the moment he found out.

I don't even think it plays on the Twitch channel anymore. Haven't seen it in ages, now that I think about it.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It was something along the lines of the US got taken over by fascists and is now a totalitarian state, the mask mandates and travel restrictions aren't really about a virus and it's never going to end. Just escalate as the cabal chokes the freedom out of the american people. The other co-hosts were calling the US "auschwitz with masks" (auschwitz because of abortions) and quoting scripture regarding defying illegitimate government, and rebelling by not wearing masks to the store or whatever. I wouldn't say his opinions are problematic, he's just a guy with kooky political opinions (like lots of other writers!). If I didn't wander into a christian political podcast just because he was a co-host I wouldn't have guessed from viewing the content he makes. One of the other guys from the show was on chapo I think, so there's something for everyone.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Dante posted:

It was something along the lines of the US got taken over by fascists and is now a totalitarian state, the mask mandates and travel restrictions aren't really about a virus and it's never going to end. Just escalate as the cabal chokes the freedom out of the american people. The other co-hosts were calling the US "auschwitz with masks" (auschwitz because of abortions) and quoting scripture regarding defying illegitimate government, and rebelling by not wearing masks to the store or whatever. I wouldn't say his opinions are problematic, he's just a guy with kooky political opinions (like lots of other writers!). If I didn't wander into a christian political podcast just because he was a co-host I wouldn't have guessed from viewing the content he makes. One of the other guys from the show was on chapo I think, so there's something for everyone.

Which Mike podcast was that? The mullet one or the trees walking one?

And yes Bill Corbett has been on Chapo twice that I can recall

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Breadallelogram posted:

Which Mike podcast was that? The mullet one or the trees walking one?

That was absolutely the mullet one with TenNapel and Nicolle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ZZT the Fifth posted:

That was absolutely the mullet one with TenNapel and Nicolle.

Yeah from what I can tell his pastor that he does the podcast with is absolutely not that kind of dipshit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah from what I can tell his pastor that he does the podcast with is absolutely not that kind of dipshit.

Yeah his pastor actually seems like a pretty decent dude. Guy even is pro BLM though he wishes things had been able to be solved without the rioting (in a "it's a shame things had to go this far" not in a "black people are just being violent for no reason.") He's a very "hate the sin, love the sinner" type.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 4, 2021

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dawgstar posted:

I don't even think it plays on the Twitch channel anymore. Haven't seen it in ages, now that I think about it.

I remember it running one last time the week after that, then never again.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Cal? I farted.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Keromaru5 posted:

I remember it running one last time the week after that, then never again.

Yeah, it got nuked extremely quickly after Yikesaroo (no great loss because Lowtax's line reads were loving awful and dragged the whole thing down, I'm honestly shocked they didn't just make a new version with Kevin and Bill). Mike and Connor still have accounts here although God knows if they use them ever (I doubt it).

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sort this, deliver that, I'll make them all pay

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
You know what my kids say - You're not my real father!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wait a moment!

WAYDAMUMMEND!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's this 'and the rest' crap!?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Sort this, deliver that, I'll make them all pay

Wilt Chamberlain

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

His coffin will be made entirely out of coconuts.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Larry, you're a dullard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Are you in Europe? Do you need an adaptor?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Larry, you're a dullard.

Suddenly, their marriage is "The Eiger Sanction"!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dawgstar posted:

Wow, imagine getting your butt kicked by "and the rest"!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Assistant cameraman, Vince Dyslexic.
Assistant script supervisor, Eddie Glaucoma.
Music editor, uh, can’t read it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Marines! We are leaving!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its really great that they're back to doing shorts next season.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Omg yes

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Marines! We are leaving!
I only know this line from one of the Wing Commander games. Was that referencing this?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

I only know this line from one of the Wing Commander games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dJy2mnl5y0

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The line itself is from Aliens but it's not really used as a reference to that, it's a generic flashback to combat joke.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Right on! I only saw Aliens the once.

Loved it, mind, but it's far from committed to memory.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Its really great that they're back to doing shorts next season.

It is! You know, if Netflix wasn't dumb as poo poo they would have leaned into shorts for binging instead of the gauntlet. Nobody really wants to watch six movies in a row, but it's pretty easy to lose an afternoon to watching shorts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It is! You know, if Netflix wasn't dumb as poo poo they would have leaned into shorts for binging instead of the gauntlet. Nobody really wants to watch six movies in a row, but it's pretty easy to lose an afternoon to watching shorts.

But they're old and sometimes in black and white!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This has probably been answered before but putting aside the reduced episode count was there a particular reason why the Season 12 episodes themselves were a lot shorter than normal (I think there were only maybe one or two host segments per film not counting the beginning and end of the episode)?

You’d think if the films they picked weren’t that long they’d toss a few shorts in there to cover the gap like they normally do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

This has probably been answered before but putting aside the reduced episode count was there a particular reason why the Season 12 episodes themselves were a lot shorter than normal (I think there were only maybe one or two host segments per film not counting the beginning and end of the episode)?

You’d think if the films they picked weren’t that long they’d toss a few shorts in there to cover the gap like they normally do.

It wasn’t that dramatic a difference. They were about ten minutes shorter and had one fewer host segment. It was 100% Netflix interfering to try and make the show more bingeable though.

The interesting thing that Jonah said on a podcast a few months ago is that it actually worked according Netflix’s internal metrics. More people watched, and they watched faster. Obviously didn’t stop them from cancelling it though.