Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

darkwasthenight posted:

Stupid Music poo poo is that I took my LPC into the warehouse today and it clocked at 15lbs on the scales, which is starting to turn practice into an endurance feat. Apparently weight relief hadn't caught on back then. Siivola rightly pointed out that's basically two averagely chunky Fenders.

Out of curiosity, I weighed my bass for comparison. Your guitar weighs almost twice my (admittedly headless) bass (7.8lbs or 3.55kg for civilized people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Elissimpark posted:

Out of curiosity, I weighed my bass for comparison. Your guitar weighs almost twice my (admittedly headless) bass (7.8lbs or 3.55kg for civilized people).

Finally my bad math on the last page is justified; my basses are roughly 9lbs each which is a little over the halfway point for that guitar.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

darkwasthenight posted:

I think the only ones not relieved these days are the Traditional models but it's changed based on the series over the years. The Studio has gone between chambered and Swiss cheese. The Standard was non-relieved for a bit around 2019 and then became the Traditional, but it's hard to keep track.

I gave up trying to understand the ever-changing Gibson terms. I just go with "felt pen headstock" and "proper Gibson". Both of my 'real' Gibsons are Traditional models (no auto tuner silliness, weird neck profile, etc) and seem to be just on the right side of authentically hefty but modernly comfortable.

The Tele though... Jesus. I did the Angus hop at my last gig and I swear I was 2" shorter afterwards

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Aww dang PBF why you gotta be like that? Also is that webcomic still going or did it end, I vaguely remember some going on hiatus hoopla years ago.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Aww dang PBF why you gotta be like that? Also is that webcomic still going or did it end, I vaguely remember some going on hiatus hoopla years ago.

Still going with updates once every month or two, some guest spots.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://pbfcomics.com/comics/dreamcatcher/

That's a weird edit above, where the law book was replaced with an html book?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Seldom Posts posted:

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/dreamcatcher/

That's a weird edit above, where the law book was replaced with an html book?

I was wondering why the lettering looked so bad

Either way, I wish my mom had bought me one of those dream catchers a long time ago

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

The artists seems to only work with guest artists now, I’m guessing they got burned out on doing the visuals.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

The artists seems to only work with guest artists now, I’m guessing they got burned out on doing the visuals.

I don't know if it's still an issue for him but he did gently caress up his hands for a bit doing this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WQRYFQL/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

The art is stunning though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boss is trying to get me excited for their HM2 reissue. They are very well aware of what they're doing. I especially like the detail of diming all the knobs:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

They know exactly who it's for

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

BonHair posted:

Boss is trying to get me excited for their HM2 reissue. They are very well aware of what they're doing. I especially like the detail of diming all the knobs:

disappointed they didn't make a limited edition with no knobs at all

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wish they made a non-waza version for a little cheaper to cut the knees off the market for the original

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I hope it doesn't cost $200

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I mean honestly I'm probably going down the modeling route completely soon anyway but I hate that things like the HM-2 get their price driven up so high by hype. I guarantee 90% of people trying to get their hands on them don't even want chainsaw tone

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gramps posted:

disappointed they didn't make a limited edition with no knobs at all

also same

wonder if there's a clone that does this, that's a clone i'd buy

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Shugojin posted:

also same

I'm very seriously considering building these for my fledgling pedal company I have yet to get off the ground

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Personally I'm looking forward to the all-black Metal Zone so I can recreate my horrible college-days tones, except in all black.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lol we just got done dunking on MusicIsWin, and his latest video popped in my recommendations thanks to this thread. It is titled "I Finally Got a Gibson Les Paul." As much as I'd like to be snarky and ask if the custom PRS wasn't good enough, maybe I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and wonder if it's the result of poorly timed sponsorship deals instead.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Shugojin posted:

also same

There's a couple of boutiques that go totally control free, but the TC Eyemaster is by far the cheapest and just has volume/gain controls. Rules for about $30/40.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Lol we just got done dunking on MusicIsWin, and his latest video popped in my recommendations thanks to this thread. It is titled "I Finally Got a Gibson Les Paul." As much as I'd like to be snarky and ask if the custom PRS wasn't good enough, maybe I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and wonder if it's the result of poorly timed sponsorship deals instead.

I don't understand why he's so backed by PRS. Is it just the YouTube channel? There's gotta be more to it than that, didn't he just spend like $500,000 on that overdrive pedal?

I didn't watch the video.

rickiep00h posted:

Personally I'm looking forward to the all-black Metal Zone so I can recreate my horrible college-days tones, except in all black.

I still have my OG metal zone! Still sounds good.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Just directly wire a knobless HM2 circuit into the pickups before your output jack. Bonus points if it’s on an uncomfortably pointy guitar and/or there’s no way to disable it.

I may have to find a Warlock to do this to.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I had a HM-2 and a Walrus Red. Gonna go against tradition and say all dimed is not great. But there's a lot of awesome sounds in it.

I'm just a boring rock person tho.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I've a Cool Music Insane Distortion pedal that seems to behave like the VST HM2 clone I have. Little bass response, so not so great for bass.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Just directly wire a knobless HM2 circuit into the pickups before your output jack. Bonus points if it’s on an uncomfortably pointy guitar and/or there’s no way to disable it.

I may have to find a Warlock to do this to.

This is a good idea. Possibly wire it straight to the bridge pickup on an HH with a two way switch. Choose between clean neck and chainsaw, very useful!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5H7PSSEWzc
:swoon:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

stratdax posted:

I don't understand why he's so backed by PRS. Is it just the YouTube channel? There's gotta be more to it than that, didn't he just spend like $500,000 on that overdrive pedal?

He's friends with Paul. They've done clinics together and now they're pals.

The 500000 dollar Klon is not really 500k. Josh from JHS owns it and listed it on Reverb as a goof basically

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Your heart's pumping
Your veins are blue
Thyroid's secreting
Making hormones for you

Poop in your guts
Digesting Lays
Going around and round and round
Yeah it's alright
Olestra's OK

Posting posting posting posting posting
You're always posting
Posting posting posting posting
Keep posting keep posting keep posting

You can't stop the goon
From posting

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mozi posted:

Your heart's pumping
Your veins are blue
Thyroid's secreting
Making hormones for you

Poop in your guts
Digesting Lays
Going around and round and round
Yeah it's alright
Olestra's OK

Posting posting posting posting posting
You're always posting
Posting posting posting posting
Keep posting keep posting keep posting

You can't stop the goon
From posting

You're not the first person to cover that territory.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ_yhSc1de4

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Trig Discipline posted:

I don't know if it's still an issue for him but he did gently caress up his hands for a bit doing this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WQRYFQL/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

The art is stunning though.

This art is great, but how did he gently caress his hands up doing it?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

sigher posted:

This art is great, but how did he gently caress his hands up doing it?

quote:

Featuring an unfathomable number of lines which have been hand-chiseled into inked clay

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:aaa:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scratchboard is ink coated clay and very easy to scratch. Calling that chiseling is :lmao: but I guess you’d get carpal tunnel the same as any other repetitive technique

E: try it, it’s fun and cheap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss5zre_fbTk

Snowy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 4, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I bought into the kickstarter for that and he was posting regular updates about the project. There was a whole lot of "I can't work this week because my hands are claws after doing page 12". He's also an insane perfectionist so he ended up throwing finished pages out and redoing them over and over.

e: Oh there's actually a mini-doc about it!

https://vimeo.com/209507887

2e: lol oops, possibly :nws: for brief naked gurewitch rear end

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 5, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh wow I didn’t realize who you were talking about there, I went to art school with him

E- yes I realize I posted the pbf comic in the first place I just stopped paying attention :)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Is this pointless? It seems rather pointless.

Thanks Amazon for showing me this while I was searching for banjo picks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Actively detrimental. Schumann actually destroyed his playing career on a "finger strengthen machine" thing.

https://www.wqxr.org/story/weird-classical-when-schumann-ruined-his-fingers-and-his-concert-career/

E, rereading that, it's not quite so simple as that. But nonetheless, it's a dumb idea.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 5, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

quote:

During his studies with Wieck, some stories claim that Schumann permanently injured a finger on his right hand. Wieck claimed that Schumann damaged his finger by using a mechanical device that held back one finger while he exercised the others—which was supposed to strengthen the weakest fingers.[6] Clara Schumann discredited the story, saying the disability was not due to a mechanical device, and Robert Schumann himself referred to it as "an affliction of the whole hand." Some argue that, as the disability appeared to have been chronic and have affected the hand, and not just a finger, it was not likely caused by a finger strengthening device.[7] In 2012, neurologists discussed Schumann's symptoms at a conference called "Musicians With Dystonia."

Schumann's problems were greater than just the device.

With finger strengthening devices it's weird because... well, just play the instrument. That's all the workout you'll need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Seems like a weird way to force yourself to use your pinky.