Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't think anyone gets a thrill from having to spend more money replacing something they already had.

However, many people demonstrably do! It's not even a matter of opinion it's science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

And yet people will 3-D print anything despite it, in about 100% of cases, being more time-consuming, more expensive, and worse all around than not 3-D printing whatever it is.

The best relationship one can have to 3D printers is not to have one yourself, but rather to have a friend who does.

On the rare occasion you need a specific little plastic thingy ("Dang it, the flip-down foot on my keyboard broke"), they'll take your request for it as a validation of their hobby and will be overjoyed to make one for you. You get all the benefits without having to pour all your time and money into a cantankerous machine. Win-win.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Have one rich friend with a 3D printer and play 2mm scale wargames with them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Doublepost phuo: the burning of the half-completed useless white house and malaria capital was a useless tit-for-tat response to the burning of Toronto, and the british didn't "win" the war of 1812 no matter how much people want the US to be owned. The US did not intend to annex Canada in that war, except for a minority branch of war hawks, and the post-war period was a massively nationalist happy time about how the plucky tiny nation beat off the giant world power and then saw an economic boom and massive expansion on lands that the world power formerly claimed to defend. If that's not a win what is?

Also irish troops burned Washington and canadian militias did nothing but fail to stand up to US regulars, just saying. Canada was defended by soldiers from Europe.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Jun 3, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Seeing how the US has gone since then they would've been better off being annexed by Canada tbh.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

Seeing how the US has gone since then they would've been better off being annexed by Canada tbh.

Healthcare is the only difference

e: and americans are somehow way less likely to whine about spanish labels than anglo-canadians about french ones

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Jun 3, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gaius Marius posted:

If you have an internet connection you can learn. We've been conditioned to just accept that things break after a couple years. Look at phones, my Grams kept her phone for three decades, now they tell me to switch every two years.

People by lovely Plastic Cutting boards, or Wood ones instead of getting a nice wood block they can oil and keep in working order.

My gramps grew up in a house with four knives, two pans, and a dutch oven and they got by fine. I work at costco where we sell 15 piece knife sets and twenty piece pot sets. poo poo is broken, and as much as they deny it, people themselves need to start taking responsibility for it in part.

Hell I got a former apprentice from Dominican republic who was horrifyied at how blasie Americans were towards their items.

If you have an internet connection you could be reading something better than my posting, yet you aren't. We could always be learning something or doing something better than what we currently are, but doing things that aren't economically viable is more fun than poo poo that is.

I will keep my phone until it dies, but planned obsolescence is a thing. Unfortunately our things break down and even with the internet there is no way to fix them. Like I said, sometimes your t-shirts you've had for years smell even when you wash them and yourself correctly.

It is also hilarious because, this kind of ignores living situations in big cities, everyone is having to move house semi-constantly and we all end up sharing a lot of stuff and needing an individual "pool" of it makes things more tricky to keep and to maintain. Especially when other people use it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its weird to me that people fall over, especially old people all the time

i have never fallen over. i've tripped on stuff or misplaced my foot but i usually just have this reflex action where i at least land on my hand or just catch myself on something even when it does happen. ive seen old people fall flat on their face with no effort to catch themselves or just drop in the bathroom and then just lie there. i know that this happens to people rationally but to me it just seems odd and like you should be able to do something about this even if youre old

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The reason often cited why this happens is that old people lose their sense of balance. But I’ve also read that it isn’t their sense of balance which degrades—it is their muscle strength. Their balance is fine, it is just that they become so weak that they cannot provide the feedback to maintain balance.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's called sarcopenia and you should start lifting weights at or before 35 unless you want to be a walker zombie at 60.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Lifting weights also makes your bones stronger, so that if you fall down you're less likely to break your hip. Everyone should work out, old or young. The number of people who don't is, frankly, a tragedy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Covid made me real loving jealous of the richie riches with home gyms :(

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Healthcare is the only difference

e: and americans are somehow way less likely to whine about spanish labels than anglo-canadians about french ones
Canadian labels look ridiculous largely due to the Francois. Canada labels are all "CAPITAINE CROUNCHE!!" and "PLEINNES DU KETCHUP!!". Like I'm ripping off a bit from K. Trevor Wilson here, but French Canadian looks hilarious because it screams at you. Spanish is just there being itself, but Montreal wants you to yell the French in a very bad accent.

It's the best part of Canada that isn't healthcare and hockey.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Before covid you could pick up weights at the junk yard for scrap pricing. People were near giving away those lovely sports store starter sets. You could get a workable rack off Amazon for $400. Dumbbells were everywhere. Rogue's scratch and dent was full of cheap bars and a decent CAP bar was like $90.

A home gym didn't become expensive till everyone on the planet needed to do something during the plague.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fizzymercury posted:

Canadian labels look ridiculous largely due to the Francois. Canada labels are all "CAPITAINE CROUNCHE!!" and "PLEINNES DU KETCHUP!!". Like I'm ripping off a bit from K. Trevor Wilson here, but French Canadian looks hilarious because it screams at you. Spanish is just there being itself, but Montreal wants you to yell the French in a very bad accent.

It's the best part of Canada that isn't healthcare and hockey.

phuo: this is god's own snack food and must never be altered.

Guyver posted:

Before covid you could pick up weights at the junk yard for scrap pricing. People were near giving away those lovely sports store starter sets. You could get a workable rack off Amazon for $400. Dumbbells were everywhere. Rogue's scratch and dent was full of cheap bars and a decent CAP bar was like $90.

A home gym didn't become expensive till everyone on the planet needed to do something during the plague.

You also needed a place to put your home gym, ie not an apartment with two rooms on the sixth floor like places us proles live

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hai:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Covid made me real loving jealous of the richie riches with home gyms :(

Give calisthenics a try.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: North America should bite the bullet and just make a NA union already. The US and Mexico are very culturally similar once you get past the language, and Canada is Giant Minnesota

Let's just do it. Free movement, everyone can live and work anywhere, poutine in Juarez, the whole thing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: North America should bite the bullet and just make a NA union already. The US and Mexico are very culturally similar once you get past the language, and Canada is Giant Minnesota

Let's just do it. Free movement, everyone can live and work anywhere, poutine in Juarez, the whole thing

Yes please. Canada has to become a republic first though, both for moral reasons and to just add insult to injury about brexit.

Also just call the currency "dollar" not "amero" please and thanks.
PHUO: it's hilarious how people who have never been to Mexico think it's some mad max hellhole and not USA but with better food. drat place is literally called Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You also needed a place to put your home gym, ie not an apartment with two rooms on the sixth floor like places us proles live

Make one room a gym and sleep in the middle of the rack on the floor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes please. Canada has to become a republic first though, both for moral reasons and to just add insult to injury about brexit.

PHUO: it's hilarious how people who have never been to Mexico think it's some mad max hellhole and not USA but with better food. drat place is literally called Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

The US and Canada are so drat similar seeing Canadians online spill millions of words about their supposed superiority always gives me a laugh.

Tex Mex is better than any flavor of traditional Mexican food.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Granted I've never been, but were the news about drug cartels running the country, mass graves, kidnappings, etc. made up? Seems unlikely. The US has a moral obligation to legalize all drugs just as a measure to deny organized crime income.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

Granted I've never been, but were the news about drug cartels running the country, mass graves, kidnappings, etc. made up? Seems unlikely. The US has a moral obligation to legalize all drugs just as a measure to deny organized crime income.

Those people also operate in the USA too tho, the US just has more money and an enormous military. It's similar to the US in that you can have enormous, lethal poverty and murder blocks from cartoonish capitalist wealth.

But yes NAU should legalize all the drugs to gently caress them over. Vote me for representative to NAU Senate.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

America being run by the cartels wouldn't be that bad. In some ways it would be an improvement.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

Ours are called police departments

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's very hard living with room mates sometimes.

Living on your own, even if you can only see people via the internet, is still sometimes preferable to other people.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

It's very hard living with room mates sometimes.

Living on your own, even if you can only see people via the internet, is still sometimes preferable to other people.

I wholeheartedly disagree. If I didn't have my roommate around to remind me to be a functioning member of society I would die. Probably of like falling asleep in a cleaning fluid puddle because I thought I saw a smudge. If my roommate didn't have me he wouldn't have someone to remind him to shower and eat food.

I always thought I was better alone but then I spent 45 weeks alone without talking to anyone who could tell I was cracking up. People online didn't see my horror spiral, for sure. I had to be told by someone who saw me daily that I wasn't okay.

And that's okay. It's okay to need people. I need to go hug my roommate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Living with anyone you aren't family with or sleeping with is absolutely awful.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

See when all of my housemates quickly left the big city I am in for Christmas (before the lockdown we all knew was coming was declared) I was on my own in the house for about 2 weeks. I have never been happier to live here. Every bit of mess was mine, I could keep it clean, talk to my friends online at all hours etc.

I don't want to get in peoples way or keep people up, so I stay in my room, but that also means I get worried about leaving a mess for others to clean up. It's a bit of a pisser is all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

See when all of my housemates quickly left the big city I am in for Christmas (before the lockdown we all knew was coming was declared) I was on my own in the house for about 2 weeks. I have never been happier to live here. Every bit of mess was mine, I could keep it clean, talk to my friends online at all hours etc.

I don't want to get in peoples way or keep people up, so I stay in my room, but that also means I get worried about leaving a mess for others to clean up. It's a bit of a pisser is all.

I feel you, but also I expect you make less and noise than they do and you should rock yourself. You've as much right to the house as they do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

The reason often cited why this happens is that old people lose their sense of balance. But I’ve also read that it isn’t their sense of balance which degrades—it is their muscle strength. Their balance is fine, it is just that they become so weak that they cannot provide the feedback to maintain balance.

Old people also loving love throw rugs.

When a fall can kill you you really shouldn’t love throw rugs. I’ve seen Slow Death By Floor Decoration like fifty times.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
:decorum: means nothing anymore besides "a politician won't do the thing I want"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I feel you, but also I expect you make less and noise than they do and you should rock yourself. You've as much right to the house as they do.

I really don't. Been trying to but sometimes it is hard to understand how everyone does things and so on. It's fine just a little weird sometimes.

I wish we could understand ourselves and then understand others more easily than we do.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Wasabi tastes terrible

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The powdered reconstituted neon green wasabi isn’t great but real wasabi is awesome and much more horse radishy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I really don't. Been trying to but sometimes it is hard to understand how everyone does things and so on. It's fine just a little weird sometimes.

I wish we could understand ourselves and then understand others more easily than we do.

I've lived in a student group apartment and it certainly was an experience and an opportunity (that I largely wasted due to being a poo poo nerd).

Could not do it now, too old and set in certain ways. Roommates would be both intolerable and unable to tolerate me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

doverhog posted:

I've lived in a student group apartment and it certainly was an experience and an opportunity (that I largely wasted due to being a poo poo nerd).

Could not do it now, too old and set in certain ways. Roommates would be both intolerable and unable to tolerate me.

It's more just that I can't seem to stop being that shithead nerd. You go to therapy, you try and make sure you work on yourself, you eat healthy etc. Your still "you" at the end of it, and that is still someone you might not like.

It's irritating to not be able to see the world how other people see it, and to understand people more easily. It's very irritating.

Oh and as a final PHUO: I think jokes need to at least try and be funny to be good. Often people seem to confuse being a poo poo with being funny.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

It's more just that I can't seem to stop being that shithead nerd. You go to therapy, you try and make sure you work on yourself, you eat healthy etc. Your still "you" at the end of it, and that is still someone you might not like.

It's irritating to not be able to see the world how other people see it, and to understand people more easily. It's very irritating.

Oh and as a final PHUO: I think jokes need to at least try and be funny to be good. Often people seem to confuse being a poo poo with being funny.

I'm still the nerd, but went through alcoholism where I thought this is it, there's nothing left to do except die, long after I no longer lived in the student housing place. Somehow things changed.

I never try to be funny, I just try to speak truths. Sometimes veiled in "jokes" but comedy is not the goal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

I'm still the nerd, but went through alcoholism where I thought this is it, there's nothing left to do except die, long after I no longer lived in the student housing place. Somehow things changed.

I never try to be funny, I just try to speak truths. Sometimes veiled in "jokes" but comedy is not the goal.

Alcoholism loving sucks. Congrats on riding that wagon, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Didn't stop drinking completely, just imposed strict limits on when it's allowed. Can't interfere with my job or working out. Tonight tho I'm free and drinking some aniseed liquor. Back to work on Saturday.