Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

namesake posted:

We're getting some calculations of how Delta is under our current conditions and it looks like the variants' R is 1.5:

No it's not going to be like the winter but letting a few thousand people die because the government doesn't want to protect them for a couple more months while vaccination continues still isn't acceptable.

Reading the tweet thread that you quoted: the scientist dude is actually pretty optimistic: he specifically points out that the risk is diminishing with each new day of vaccinations; that the vaccines will win in the end and that hot weather and surge testing in the most affected areas will also help to slow the spread. With all elderly and vulnerable people now double-vaccinated I honestly don't see where thousands of new deaths could come from: it's very well established now that if you're not elderly or medically vulmerable, you're very, very unlikely to die from a Covid infection.

Page snipe: the current 7-day average daily death rate from Covid is well below 11, currently standing at just 6 deaths a day, which I believe is the lowest since March 2020.

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

For what it's worth Israel has just over 60% of the population vaccinated and are basically back to normal (everything is open, no mask mandate or social distancing) with single digit new cases per day for a population of about 9m. Granted they still have self isolation for incoming travellers without proof of vaccination.

(as always please exclude gaza and the west bank for all statistics involving israel)

Miftan fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 3, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm still not sure 'It's fine if people get infected as long as the hospitals can cope with the number of people getting sick' is that reassuring an argument.

There's a difference between saying something is fine and that it won't cause the mass national paralysis it might have

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah unless we get something happening with a variant with vaccine escape Covid is largely over as a Pandemic in the UK thanks to vaccinations.

However we still have one more lump of 3-5000 deaths and an unknown amount of long term consequences in the under 30's to come because the government balanced the scales and traded 5k deaths for hitting the various reopening stages about three weeks too early.

Boris's final bit of unnecessary death on the way out in exchange for a couple of measly weeks.

Saros fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 3, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/cansforcastro/status/1400525488381214727

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Portugal is going 'amber' from 'green' and June 21st 'brakes off' for England in doubt..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/03/concern-over-delta-covid-variant-tightens-borders-of-uk

quote:

UK tightens borders and travel rules as variants spark new alarm
Dominant variant ‘more likely to cause serious illness’ PHE data indicate as Grant Shapps warns of threat to reopening on 21 June

Ministers have moved to tighten Britain’s borders as new data suggests the Delta coronavirus variant is much more likely to cause serious illness and is circulating more rapidly within schools.

With England’s reopening on 21 June hanging in the balance, the government removed Portugal from the green list of countries and added seven more countries to the red list – moves that provoked fury within the travel industry and left many holidaymakers in limbo.

British travellers count cost of Portugal’s sudden removal from green list
Read more
Portugal, including Madeira and the Azores, were the only mainstream tourist destination to which Britons could travel without having to quarantine. On Tuesday, these destinations will be moved to the amber list, requiring travellers to self-isolate for 10 days upon return.

If anything is going to finally negatively affect Johnson, I think if June 21st doesn't happen, this might be it.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What the gently caress is going on with starmers hand?

Is that the British pose?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/wooster_bert_/status/1400541883928039426

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The interesting thing is how nothing too serious seems to have come of the whole Beta evades AZ discussion that dominated the start of the year. There's going to be an update to the vaccine but there doesn't seem to be anywhere using AZ that is then being overtaken by Beta cases.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sinky posted:

wget is the command line tool for doing that, which works very well. Not sure about gui tools though.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

WinHTTrack Website Copier is free and will download a full site for you, but it will convert dynamic pages to flat html files so you can browse locally, if you need the original files that are on the web (for evidences sake that a bad job was made) you'll need access to download the originals via FTP.

I couldn't get either of those to download the sites past the index.html.

I did find this though: cyotek which was really easy to use, GUI, and downloaded everything (and listed all the missing bits giving 404 errors) - css files the lot.
Some of it seems to be where the developer has reorganized the site but left 'trailing empty folders' in there which have been picked up, so a question of trying to locate the missing bits elsewhere and find the bad links.

Anyway, thanks for your help both, put me on the track of what to look for!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pistol_Pete posted:

Reading the tweet thread that you quoted: the scientist dude is actually pretty optimistic: he specifically points out that the risk is diminishing with each new day of vaccinations; that the vaccines will win in the end and that hot weather and surge testing in the most affected areas will also help to slow the spread. With all elderly and vulnerable people now double-vaccinated I honestly don't see where thousands of new deaths could come from: it's very well established now that if you're not elderly or medically vulmerable, you're very, very unlikely to die from a Covid infection.

Page snipe: the current 7-day average daily death rate from Covid is well below 11, currently standing at just 6 deaths a day, which I believe is the lowest since March 2020.

Well because the vaccinations aren't 100% effective, so while you provide immunity by 90% from previous waves (at best) that 10%+ still gets really large if you just let everyone take their nans out to dinner inside a restaurant.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 3, 2021

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

namesake posted:

Well because the vaccinations aren't 100% effective, so while you reduce deaths by 90% from previous waves (at best) that 10%+ still gets really large if you just let everyone take their nans out to dinner inside a restaurant.

They’re not 100% effective at preventing infection but IIRC they are close to it for preventing death or serious illness.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If anything is going to finally negatively affect Johnson, I think if June 21st doesn't happen, this might be it.

The man told everyone they could have a normal Christmas and yanked it away with less than a week's notice. Even that didn't dent the fucker.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

stev posted:

The man told everyone they could have a normal Christmas and yanked it away with less than a week's notice. Even that didn't dent the fucker.

I think this might be a step too far now. It is 6 months on from Xmas.
The non-political 'soft' tories on my facebook are going wild.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

namesake posted:

Well because the vaccinations aren't 100% effective, so while you provide immunity by 90% from previous waves (at best) that 10%+ still gets really large if you just let everyone take their nans out to dinner inside a restaurant.

They're not 100% effective at stopping you catching covid but they are near enough 100% effective at stopping you getting seriously ill with it.

E:fb

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Over a year since I had Covid, it was barely a nuisance but I still get out of breath walking to the shop despite exercising ~10 hours a week, no idea what the vaccine does about that but I've got a babby on the way who might want to be a footballer or something in the future & I'm very likely to be doing in-person teaching next year & it is a worry :(

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Fair enough on the vaccine effectiveness, but the forecasts are still expecting thousands of deaths because the opening up is getting ahead of the vaccination program.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

Over a year since I had Covid, it was barely a nuisance but I still get out of breath walking to the shop despite exercising ~10 hours a week, no idea what the vaccine does about that

Fwiw I'm 99% sure I'm in the exact same boat and the two doses of the vaccine haven't stopped it.

namesake posted:

Fair enough on the vaccine effectiveness, but the forecasts are still expecting thousands of deaths because the opening up is getting ahead of the vaccination program.

Call me an ignorant hussy but who are these dying people? Everyone with a vaguely high mortality rate has been vaccinated now - obviously there'd be some deaths but I'd have thought no-where near as many as there were pre-vaccine.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

^^ yes, deaths won't reach what they did but the point is the small number that do happen will have been completely avoidable

namesake posted:

Yeah, 100%, even if only a tiny fraction of people in their 20s and 30s die there are going to be enough cases that a few will, and yes this will be totally unnecessary, but :capitalism:

My mum has been weirdly un-boomer about this and genuinely thinks we should have prioritised vaccinating the young while asking the elderly to isolate a bit longer, because transmission is driven by younger people and they're missing far more important and formative chunks of their lives than their grandparents. I'm increasingly agreeing with her tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have long term symptoms I don't think the vaccine would do anything about that because otherwise you would also be long term positive for the disease, the long term symptoms as far as I understand are just... well it caused actual damage to you which takes an indefinite amount of time to heal, or which might not. I guess that's the sort of thing that will be better understood in the years and decades to come unfortunately :(

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

stev posted:

Call me an ignorant hussy but who are these dying people? Everyone with a vaguely high mortality rate has been vaccinated now - obviously there'd be some deaths but I'd have thought no-where near as many as there were pre-vaccine.

Modeling by SPI-M doesn't use 100% protection from death so that's a lot of it. If more real world results are showing it does keep everyone alive then great, but their forecasts are saying:

'Any resurgence is due to some people (mostly children) being ineligible for vaccination; others choosing not to receive the vaccine; and others being vaccinated but not perfectly protected (including those who have only received one dose, rather than two). Even in these small waves, both hospitalisations and deaths are dominated by those that have received two doses of the vaccine. This is attributable to the high levels of uptake in the most at-risk age groups, such that immunisation failures account for more serious illness than unvaccinated individuals. This is not the result of vaccines being ineffective, merely uptake being so high that there are relatively few unvaccinated individuals in the population.'

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Yeah, vaccines only work against future potential infections, they won't do poo poo for long covid symptoms you already have. It's a proper pet peeve of mine when in movies and stuff someone is dying of an illness and there's a desperate search for a 'vaccine' to save them

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Over a year since I had Covid, it was barely a nuisance but I still get out of breath walking to the shop despite exercising ~10 hours a week, no idea what the vaccine does about that but I've got a babby on the way who might want to be a footballer or something in the future & I'm very likely to be doing in-person teaching next year & it is a worry :(

If it makes you feel any better your babby is almost definitely not going to be a footballer.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
North West goons: Manchester Foundation Trust (set to absorb all healthcare in the Greater Area) would like to consult trans patients and the wider trans community on how to make our computer system Less poo poo.
Current proposals include recording people's preferred pronouns, name, and gender.

There are two sessions via teams, aparently:

If you could spread this as appropriate, I would be grateful. Thanks!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Miftan posted:

If it makes you feel any better your babby is almost definitely not going to be a footballer.
Her uncle was a professional & is a great teacher, & her granddad wasn't far off :shrug:

It does make me feel better though, thanks. I can barely kick a ball, nobody wants to be beaten by their child before they turn 10.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

That was more that Ireland asked for Home Rule and then Britain wiped their arse with the idea for so long that people got tired of having someone else decide.

If Britain had decided to go a step further than Home Rule, and said "English speaking Common Law Protestants and Civil Law Catholics who don't want to be forced to speak English living together? How could that possibly work? Oh how about that thing that we literally did 20 years ago in Canada? Let's try that." Then that would have done more than satisfied everyone except the most radical voices at the time.

It might probably have fallen apart a while later with the strains of the Second World War, but with less bloodshed than how it actually went.

Westminster is singularly terrified of federalism though, despite forcing it on most of the federal countries of the world one way or another. (The others are mostly former viceroyalties of Spain, who have similar problems with the idea.)

Aye, if in the years leading up to WW1 Westminster had said "Home Rule for Ireland? Okay, let's work that out." and made a semi-good-faith effort to do it, it's very possible that a united Dominion of Ireland could have been a thing, and that any eventual patriation might have led to a rather less violent set of events. Of course, the nature of an Empire is not to go "Yeah fair enough like, seems reasonable to let you mostly govern yourselves"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Her uncle was a professional & is a great teacher, & her granddad wasn't far off :shrug:

It does make me feel better though, thanks. I can barely kick a ball, nobody wants to be beaten by their child before they turn 10.

I mean just statistically. It'd very impressive if your kid beat you before you turned 10 though. Didn't realise you could teach law when you're that young either.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1400559711360098308?s=19

Desperate throw of the dice to try to prevent Beckett winning and taking a load of money away from Labour?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Of course, the nature of an Empire is not to go "Yeah fair enough like, seems reasonable to let you mostly govern yourselves"
It's true, but the nature of an Empire in the 60s was mostly to go "Yeah fair enough like, seems reasonable to let you mostly govern yourselves, but leave the hard judicial decisions to us until you have a flag and a national unity moment."

Took two world wars and one world cup to get there in most of those cases, but also it seems given Canada and Australia that there was a real fear of having a federalism right next door in there too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1400559711360098308?s=19

Desperate throw of the dice to try to prevent Beckett winning and taking a load of money away from Labour?

Is he actually on track to win? I thought he was a pretty long shot.

Also this isn't UK related unless the unreal tournament bus actually goes ahead, but I know there's people ITT that enjoy stupid tech poo poo.

https://twitter.com/FSD_in_6m/status/1400207129479352323

Desperately tempted to get a truck full of traffic lights and drive in front of self driving cars.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

It could be; "piss off our largest donor at a time when our finances are atrocious" is a move so :yikes: the only surprise is that Starmer isn't running with the idea himself.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, vaccines only work against future potential infections, they won't do poo poo for long covid symptoms you already have. It's a proper pet peeve of mine when in movies and stuff someone is dying of an illness and there's a desperate search for a 'vaccine' to save them

There's actually reports that Vaccination may help long covid symptoms. Further studies needed etc.

https://twitter.com/WiredUK/status/1375054980667871237?s=19

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 4, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

blunt posted:

There's actually reports that Vaccination may help long covid symptoms. Further studies needed etc.

https://twitter.com/WiredUK/status/1375054980667871237?s=19

My dad had two verrucas spontaneously clear up after getting a jab, and a friend of his who is an immunology lecturer now wants to use him as a case study for the theory that vaccines can "wake up" your innate immune system to start fighting infections it has learned to ignore.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

It's true, but the nature of an Empire in the 60s was mostly to go "Yeah fair enough like, seems reasonable to let you mostly govern yourselves, but leave the hard judicial decisions to us until you have a flag and a national unity moment."

Took two world wars and one world cup to get there in most of those cases, but also it seems given Canada and Australia that there was a real fear of having a federalism right next door in there too.

True enough! Guess when it's starting to look like a fair accompli it's easier to change your thinking to "How do we get out of this with the least egg on our face and most beneficial* ties with our former colonies?"

* May not include benefits to the former colonies.

Reveilled posted:

My dad had two verrucas spontaneously clear up after getting a jab, and a friend of his who is an immunology lecturer now wants to use him as a case study for the theory that vaccines can "wake up" your innate immune system to start fighting infections it has learned to ignore.

I would dearly like it to randomly clear up my verrucas because my feet are not pleasant for the fetishists atm :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I would dearly like it to randomly clear up my verrucas because my feet are not pleasant for the fetishists atm :(

I had one foot thoroughly infested but I managed to get the GP surgery to have a blast with a mega amount of freezing agent, sorted them out nicely, they're a lot better than the lovely DIY stuff that costs a fortune.

Dunno if you've tried or if they will do the same for you.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Portugal is going 'amber' from 'green' and June 21st 'brakes off' for England in doubt..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/03/concern-over-delta-covid-variant-tightens-borders-of-uk

poo poo, guy I work with has come over for a funeral from Portugal today, guess he may not be online tomorrow.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1400460586266202121?s=19

Oh hey the conservatives broke the law again.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I find the liquid salicylic acid that comes in a glass vial with a brush works better than the gel stuff. Mainly because it just melts a hole in your foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lunar Suite posted:

North West goons: Manchester Foundation Trust (set to absorb all healthcare in the Greater Area) would like to consult trans patients and the wider trans community on how to make our computer system Less poo poo.
Current proposals include recording people's preferred pronouns, name, and gender.

There are two sessions via teams, aparently:

If you could spread this as appropriate, I would be grateful. Thanks!

So once thing I can tell you straight away is lose the 'preferred' it's not a preference it's my name and they are my pronouns