Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i randomly decided to check if mr bean was vegan so i typed in "ron atkinson vegan" and found that his name isnt ron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

okay, name the phenomenon in which westerners eat cows and pigs but are shocked and disgusted at the notion of slow cooking some delicious doggo and cat for better mouthfeel

baw
Nov 5, 2008

gay_crimes posted:

okay, name the phenomenon in which westerners eat cows and pigs but are shocked and disgusted at the notion of slow cooking some delicious doggo and cat for better mouthfeel

i havent read the book that coined the term but the title is "why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows"

probably not worth reading since i'd just be nodding in agreement the whole time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gay_crimes posted:

My favorite carnist response to this type of question is when people tell you that plants have a consciousness too and you are killing them by eating them.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

baw posted:

i havent read the book that coined the term but the title is "why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows"

probably not worth reading since i'd just be nodding in agreement the whole time

I am fine with 100 million slaughtered cats/dogs per year in the US alone in horrible conditions that are destroying and have destroyed the biosphere, bcuz I love the tendies 😋

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

My favorite carnist response to this type of question is when people tell you that plants have a consciousness too and you are killing them by eating them.

this is when you walk away, no breaking through the illusion on those people

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

calling people "carnists" is very dumb but veganism is good as hell, there I solved the central problem of the thread

works for me

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

why do people itt hate carnies

no need to punch down friendos

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

What about “carnie”? It’s both diminutive and implies that we spend all day in a low-rent circus, a life among clowns.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://i.imgur.com/G9ciBd9.mp4

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Goku WAS vegan,. Before senzu beans got retconned, they didn't restore energy but rather worked similar to lembas bread. He lived off of them the entire three years he trained with Kami.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I don't even like meat that much, I used to eat it to assert dominance over the rest of the animal kingdom (as god intended).

I've cut back by about 90% recently because I realised it's even more of a power move to have the ability to eat another creature but choose not to because they're so far beneath me.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Squizzle posted:

why do people itt hate carnies

no need to punch down friendos

the poster earlier implied carnies are smelly

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005
do vegans recognize any good way to consume cheese or is all milk production inherently unethical? I do without meat but queso i'm not sure

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cow’s milk is a mother’s milk intended for her calf. its production requires continually forcibly inseminating mother cows and taking their calves away. setting aside the slaughter of calves, the mothers live short, miserable lives, continually having their teats pumped raw by machines while in horrible conditions.

I think milk production would have been less awful before factory farming became the norm, and there’s more to hypothetically discuss there, but the current day reality is what leads vegans to forgo dairy

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
there is no practical way to consume dairy ethically.

you can invent an imagined ideal farm where cows happen to get pregnant and happen to have left over milk but this is a fairy tale.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I like deep fried vegan “cheese” sticks

can’t taste the difference from real cheese with that much oil involved, and even less if you dip it in condiments

a vegan kebab shop opened near me and I like them

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

honestly i didn't used to love cashew fake cheese sauce but i've really come around to it, i can make a pretty decent one at home now and the one at the greasy vegan diner spot near me is real good.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

funnel cake is extremely good :kiddo:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

me finding meat on the ground and eating it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGkL-yhBYlk

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Doughbaron posted:

do vegans recognize any good way to consume cheese or is all milk production inherently unethical? I do without meat but queso i'm not sure

Yes you can have your favorite nut milk or nut cheese.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

30 insect parts per 100g of peanut butter makes it mostly vegan

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Good soup! posted:

me finding meat on the ground and eating it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGkL-yhBYlk

Mmmm bacon lol. Very epic

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I like deep fried vegan “cheese” sticks

can’t taste the difference from real cheese with that much oil involved, and even less if you dip it in condiments

a vegan kebab shop opened near me and I like them

Like all vegan substitutes the only way to make vegan cheese edible is to coat it in so much other poo poo you can't actually taste it. That stuff is absolutely rancid

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

tokin opposition posted:

Can a cow consent to be eaten? ❎
Can a cow consent to be hosed? ❎

Can a person consent to be hosed? ☑️
Can a person consent to be eaten? :thunk:

this might be an urban myth but i read about a guy in Germany that put an ad out on craiglist looking for someone to cook and eat him. he found a guy but the guy didn't know what he was doing and basically he bled out. but not before they cut off his peepee and tried to eat it. they tried cooking it like a sausage and hosed it up and burned it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Eh depends what you need it for. The only reason I even think about cheese is getting nostalgic for utterly garbage-tier hockey rink nachos, and violife cheddar is perfectly fine for that.

Doughbaron posted:

Aside from plant milks & cheeses you could I suppose pay a human for their breast milk, which is going to be as unethical as the surrounding economic context. But people will probably think that's pretty weird.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the future vegans want

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cashew cheese is tasty in its own right, the recipes are nutritious and don't require a bunch of oil. I'll make some for dipping alongside guacamole on occasion

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Nooch makes everything better.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

spacemang_spliff posted:

this might be an urban myth but i read about a guy in Germany that put an ad out on craiglist looking for someone to cook and eat him. he found a guy but the guy didn't know what he was doing and basically he bled out. but not before they cut off his peepee and tried to eat it. they tried cooking it like a sausage and hosed it up and burned it

Nah that's for real lmao

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
IMO cheese should be a rare delicacy anyway. There's a reason all the righties are freaking out about cheeseburgers getting taken away, religion isn't really the opium of the masses anymore its garbage food.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
No joke, at a point cheap mac and cheese probably made me not bite my boss's head off instead.

Oolb has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Jun 4, 2021

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

gay_crimes posted:

Cashew cheese is tasty in its own right, the recipes are nutritious and don't require a bunch of oil. I'll make some for dipping alongside guacamole on occasion

Cashew cheese is good poo poo.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
yeah the cashew stuff is decent there’s a local place that does a poutine with it every now and then I’ll get it take out

baw
Nov 5, 2008

cashews, soy milk, kala namak, nutritional yeast and a bit of turmeric for color makes an acceptable "egg" component for a vegan carbonara

also saucestache has a book coming out

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Oolb posted:

IMO cheese should be a rare delicacy anyway. There's a reason all the righties are freaking out about cheeseburgers getting taken away, religion isn't really the opium of the masses anymore its garbage food.

its this tho

ive posted about it before, and not really an ethics question per se, but i am 100% convinced that meat for every meal is the magic political good that undergirds western capital and has the majority of the 'non-political' public on board, it's the one thing that has been meaningfully delivered on to average ppl in terms of luxuries that used to be confined to the 1%, and it has come at the cost of pretty much everything else

and when it goes away (and it unequivocally will go away, and soon), lol

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

has anyone tried to cash in on bug steaks or bug burgers yet?

im sure oil and dextrose could help get the texture right and avoid the powdery taste

I ate dried and spiced crickets as a replacement for chips once and honestly the texture and taste were fine but I kept getting bits of the wings stuck in my teeth

wait, are bugs vegan?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

no

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

gently caress!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

some plague rats posted:

Like all vegan substitutes the only way to make vegan cheese edible is to coat it in so much other poo poo you can't actually taste it. That stuff is absolutely rancid

me in the fast food vegan future