Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Nico, it’s your cousin Alan. Let’s go bowling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

ikanreed posted:

The biggest problem with this is the loving goddamn lead for the reactor itself

There is a ton of lead in the twisty bridges area. It just comes in a gray rock formation that blends into the background really easily. Build a scanner room there plus the HUD chip and you'll have all you could ever want.

BitterAvatar posted:

Holy poo poo I never even found this base

Same. I think it was on the map from Delta station but I never got a breadcrumb or plot point telling me to go there so I forgot about it.

I think I still have the game installed, might have to boot it up and go visit to see what I missed.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Even if you miss the text or map that shows where it is, if you look around pilots last known position you see an architect cable that leads up to it.
That was how I found it the first time.

This game is really built for the people who know that if where you want to go is to the right, then go left and look around first.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I thought Marguerite's underwater base was Omega base and she had moved into it after the events with Sam and Alterra or something. Didn't even know there was another base to find until I saw a streamer stumble across it.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

OgNar posted:

Even if you miss the text or map that shows where it is, if you look around pilots last known position you see an architect cable that leads up to it.
That was how I found it the first time.

This game is really built for the people who know that if where you want to go is to the right, then go left and look around first.

I actually swam right around that cable a bunch and still never found it. I'm a great explorer.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

BitterAvatar posted:

I actually swam right around that cable a bunch and still never found it. I'm a great explorer.

Same :). I did remember that I hadn’t been to omega base, but also never had a good reason to go there, unless it’s buried somewhere in PDA logs? I guess I was just focused on collecting alien parts and not the A plot.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, Omega is fully hidden, and nothing explicitly states it exists other than the map. Base Zero has a similar issue where one might reasonably feel that it's accessed via land from the east, rather than hidden-tidepools-onto-land. I'd wager at least one player never found it until the final moments of the game.

I turned my nose up at Bioreactors in the first game, but they are remarkably convenient! Barring scanners, almost all power draw is done when the player enters the base and shortly afterwards, so taking a super minor detour to whack a domestic creepvine four times is no big deal at all and will keep things floating until your next visit. They even have their place for temporary scanner outposts in non-thermal places.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 2, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm that player, I never found it despite knowing it existed because you used to start there in early access. My first time seeing it was going to the endgame

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Actually, that reminds me of one thing that I'm surprised nobody has brought up yet: Why doesn't the control room let you change the power source order? It's actually the one thing I totally assumed it'd do based on the description, and it's so needed and desirable that there's even a mod in the first game for it - so its absence is baffling. Mind you, arguably, it shouldn't be a feature at all as there's a near-objective correct order of power draw every base should default to (thermal-solar-bio-nuke), or just giving the player proper control/ordering via construction, or just having a sane power scheme, etc. BUT STILL. Throw a man a bone, the control room is remarkably not-powerful for being a pinnacle piece.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Serephina posted:

Nah, Omega is fully hidden, and nothing explicitly states it exists other than the map.

Pretty sure its in audio format (possibly text) where Marg states that her sis should go there and blow the place up, then says never mind i'll do it myself.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's also a PDA popup saying there's an unusual floating rock formation, although that's pretty vague.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
It really shows how they basically abandoned the entire sister/khara storyline. Omega and leviathan were all key elements of that story and there's really nothing to send you to either of them. My guess is when they pivoted writers the new guy just decided that the Alan storyline was more interesting and the Sister story is only there because taking it all out would be too much work.

Omega is still an early stop for me since you can get some good base scans there.

Also yes, the control room is very underwhelming. Bio reactor + grav trap is amazing though.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 3, 2021

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Tenebrais posted:

There's also a PDA popup saying there's an unusual floating rock formation, although that's pretty vague.

I remember getting that message, but then almost immediately found the giant hunk of rock that had been pulled up by the biggest lillypad to give you an entrance to the deep lillypad zone and just figured that was the unusual rock formation in question.

There were a few other problem messages, like the PDA telling you about a hollow glacier that is right about in the area you expect to find the green house. Or when you pick up a PDA in a plot-heavy area and start listening to the audio recording and then Alan butts in before it's done.

I enjoyed the game overall but another month in the polish tank to do some play testing and clean up the plot lines would have made it so much better.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Given the time it took to push this out I don't think it's realistic but I'd like a world map that is freaking huge to justify putting a couple different bases down. I liked BZ well enough even if it did feel like a slight step back from the original, but I'd really like to see a reason to drop a base 1km down other than vanity. Also bring back the cyclops. I don't want to tool around in a seamoth with extra steps for my main exploration vehicle, I want a submarine where I'm rushing back and forth to fix leaks from the leviathan that just thrashed me for not being careful. Grab, zap, and go had zero tension for me and was only in one smallish area anyway.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Took some time to test a thing I was wondering about. When you use the antidote on the Frozen Leviathan there's a moment after when Robin and ALAN have a conversation about it. If you start a new game and rush to do that before anything else, Robin says a different line since you haven't met ALAN yet. Was thinking he might just start speaking anyway like if you visit Zero base for the first time after completing his body but I guess they thought about that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe it's a small thing but I really really like the aesthetic of blacked out corridors with ample and coordinated signage.

Makes it feel so official.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 3, 2021

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Took some time to test a thing I was wondering about. When you use the antidote on the Frozen Leviathan there's a moment after when Robin and ALAN have a conversation about it. If you start a new game and rush to do that before anything else, Robin says a different line since you haven't met ALAN yet. Was thinking he might just start speaking anyway like if you visit Zero base for the first time after completing his body but I guess they thought about that.

There's quite a bit of that. I met Maida before I met ALAN, but I saw a playthrough where somebody met ALAN first and after meeting Maida there was a brief exchange with ALAN about her that I never got to see.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Guess what those fragments all are

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
I finished Below Zero last night after pootling about for about 30-odd hours (I tend to take it slow, I'm easily intimidated by the deep sea stuff).

Overall I did enjoy it - personally I loved the "more of the same" aspect of it but I appreciate that's down to personal preference. So many nice little tweaks and improvements from the base game that I really wish could be patched into it somehow (the power meters showing in the inventory, smoother/faster PDA animation, etc) and I'd love for the new structures to be patched into the old game too. I've never run main Subnautica with mods, though, so I might just start a game with those to add some fresh elements to it.

Plot-wise it was definitely weaker than the first game overall, imo. Marguerit suddenly dropping out despite there being plenty that Robin could confront her about is weird, I feel like she was intended to have more involvement given her prominence from the first game. Something from the old plot, maybe?

It's funny, I stopped playing main Subnautica in early access when the bigger plot elements were introduced so as not to spoil myself and I avoided all early access for BZ for similar reasons but because of the re-write I do feel like I've missed out on some stuff. I think it's all watchable on YouTube by plenty of LPers, though.

I do feel like the different plots are too disconnected from each other and I'd have preferred a more cohesive narrative with all the pieces linked to one another. Something like Al-An being in the Alterra base when Robin turns up and having spoken to Sam before her death, maybe they could have had some interactions based on that, he provides some of the voice logs, etc. As it stands I feel the plot is too fragmented where they didn't quite account for all possibilities resulting in some jarring moments like Al-An still talking to Robin in her head if you visit the Zero outpost after making his body. I also feel like the whole Sam subplot had a very weak ending, marred by the above-ground section which I didn't enjoy either like a lot of people in the thread. A complete overhaul of that section was needed, I feel. Though I did enjoy using the Snowfox.

With all that said the end sequence was really, really awesome and finished the expansion on a super high note. That was an incredible set of sequences and cutscenes and I loved every moment of it.

I would love to see more games in this setting but I appreciate the devs taking a break from it to try something new. I hope this won't be the last Subnautica game/expansion.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
More weird base building chat:

If you stack large rooms, internal walls are very picky about being placed in the same spots on both floors. This affects outer wall intersections all the time it seems.

So, my plan to make a two-floor eight apartment barracks was dashed. Instead, I put in a basement level instead of a 3rd floor, so that my wall-less storage room was between the two apartment layers.

If they backport the new rooms into the base game, i hope they relax all these restrictions. I'd really love to be able to put internal walls into the multipurpose room like they did at base 0.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Duodecimal posted:

If you stack large rooms, internal walls are very picky about being placed in the same spots on both floors. This affects outer wall intersections all the time it seems.

So, my plan to make a two-floor eight apartment barracks was dashed. Instead, I put in a basement level instead of a 3rd floor, so that my wall-less storage room was between the two apartment layers.

If they backport the new rooms into the base game, i hope they relax all these restrictions. I'd really love to be able to put internal walls into the multipurpose room like they did at base 0.
Longstanding oddities in item placement are probably here forever, they have always erred on the side of "Add more banned positions even if it looks skewed" than making the placement zones tighter. Which leads to some consistent oddities in my MP room design where my wall locker bolted to a corner hatch wall is on one side I can build basically wherever and even clip a corner through the railing, the other wide open side will take a battery charger but a wall locker is declared too big. The REAL fun is that which side is which seems to change based on your compass heading :v:

Which reminds me, they fixed on of my favorite beneficial placement bugs in BZ. You can't build wall items directly onto ladders anymore.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Duodecimal posted:

From my experimentation with this same problem, it's somehow the internal doors that cause this; remove the doors then you can place the walls on the other floor no problem, then replace the old doors. Doors won't block placement of other doors vertically, just the wall segments so it all works out in the end, albiet with an annoying order of operations for multi-level stuff.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

there’s some really funky base building restrictions where the game seems to prevent something but it actually works if you just do it in a different order. For example you can’t put a poster on a window, but you can place the poster and then build the window behind it. Same with placing lockers next to reinforced walls.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Signs on corridor walls will prevent you from building more corridors. :downsgun:

e: You can install posters floating in the water by building a room or corridor, hanging the poster, then deconstructing the room or corridor. The poster will remain in place, outside the base. I do not know how this would be useful.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I started building a storage room in a large room with a dividing wall don the center, with large lockers all along both sides of the separating wall. I put signs above each locker with their contents but one side of the wall the signs were fine and the other side the signs got all glitched and unreadable. It sucks and I gave up trying to build a cool base.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I started building a storage room in a large room with a dividing wall don the center, with large lockers all along both sides of the separating wall. I put signs above each locker with their contents but one side of the wall the signs were fine and the other side the signs got all glitched and unreadable. It sucks and I gave up trying to build a cool base.

You know you can label the lockers themselves right.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

uXs posted:

You can’t label the large standing lockers.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

uXs posted:

You're thinking of the wall locker.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

In my current replay of Subnautica I kept getting harassed by a reaper leviathan. I was building a thermal plant next to a vent in the biome way to the west of the drop pod, next to the red grass area. A leviathan kept attacking me and wouldn't leave me alone. I used the stasis rifle and the thermoblade to.... dissuade him from attacking me but he kept retreating further and further away from the biome he was originally in and was in like the kelp forests and poo poo. Finally I got so tired of him harassing me I just went full on slasher and killed him. I know the game tries to emphasize avoidance and misdirection over violence but he earned it by NOT LEAVING ME ALONE GODDAMNIT.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lol yep: prawn suit, grapple hook, drill. Don't fear the Reaper.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Welp, count me as one of the people who assumed that Marg's base was the Omega Lab on the map in BZ so stopped looking for the latter once I'd found the former. Went back and tooled around and sure enough, there it was. Fairly underwhelming but at least I've got a trash can for my spent rods* now.

*I have yet to spend a single rod in either game.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Comrade Koba posted:

You can’t label the large standing lockers.

Oh right I overlooked the 'large' part there. I hardly ever use them, I mostly just put everything in wall lockers, except for titanium when I have tons of it. And the reason is pretty much because they can't be labelled.

And yeah, signs suck. I could never place them where I wanted and in the places you can, half the time they're not on the wall but floating in the air in front of them. Eventually I just gave up trying to use them. Shame.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I used to use exclusively the bigger lockers because you can stack them up real tight and they're huge. Now that you can break down crafted items you really don't need much storage space, you can compress titanium into ingots or copper into wire etc to double or quintuple each storage slot.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

So I just started playing Subnautica not too long ago and I ended up dying after I got the Seamoth depth upgrade in the Seamoth Bay. I went back to where I died, and the upgrade doesn't seem to be anywhere. Am I screwed? It seems like I need to start exploring deeper, but I feel like I need the upgrade to do it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

So I just started playing Subnautica not too long ago and I ended up dying after I got the Seamoth depth upgrade in the Seamoth Bay. I went back to where I died, and the upgrade doesn't seem to be anywhere. Am I screwed? It seems like I need to start exploring deeper, but I feel like I need the upgrade to do it.

You can craft a new one once you build a Vehicle Upgrade Station.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Count Uvula posted:

The bloodvines (tall white vine plants that sometimes grow red stuff on them) biome is a good candidate IMO, if you've found that.
e: Wait lmao of course you've found it, it's where lifepod 2 is.
You can find the countdown waypoint by heading east to a little before the shallows end near the Aurora and then heading straight north until you find an island. It gives you some breadcrumbs to follow but it's a list of facilities and what depths they're at, so it's pretty much just 'explore deeper' but you get to know what depth you want to explore at.

The Blood Kelp zones are unironically excellent base locations, especially if you've found the blueprints for the nuclear generator, because they are *full* of all the materials you could need to build an endless supply of rods (except titanium, which you can find almost everywhere else, and plenty of salvage thereof in the large wreck in the trench zone).

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i finished subnautica 1 for the first time recently and had a really great time with it.

i only had one base near the starting location, where i built the cyclops, and it was such a pain in the rear end to manuever in the shallow areas that i resolved to get everything i needed in the endgame with only one cyclops expedition. what followed was really hectic, and engaging/stressful in a way i don't think any other game has been able to replicate:

-the first obvious problem was battery power. i had just built the cyclops sonar upgrade before leaving on the expedition, and i left it on for the whole trip to the lost river because it looked cool, but that left me almost out of power almost from the get go. i had packed two fresh power cells, but it was obvious that i wouldn't be able to get back home before running out of juice. i look through my blueprints and find one for a themal generator upgrade, so the new goal is to keep going down until i can mine some kyanite and get the thermal generator online to recycle power. this is now a one way trip; if i gently caress up, there's basically no way to salvage it and the entire save file might be unusable from that point.
-i reach the bottom of the lost river mostly unscathed, but i don't actually have fully upgraded depth resistance for either the cyclops or the prawn yet, so i have to mine nickel and other materials along the way. i at least knew this part was coming and had a fabricator and modification station built in the cyclops already to get the job done, so as long as I can get the materials i need i can put them together. but that means draining more energy from the cyclops to make the mods, and it also leads to a fun moment where i have to unslot the cyclops mk1 depth module, run it over to the mod station, upgrade it, and run it back before the sub has time to depressurizes around me
-while i'm digging out kyanite for my last few upgrades, i notice that i'm out of food and water, which is initially much scarier than anything else i've dealt with so far, since im an insanely far distance from anything hospitable, but by some miracle i had noticed there were bladderfish in the lower layers of the lost river. i was able to catch a bunch and filter water with them in time, but the extra cooking put my sub at 2 or 3% power left before i managed to get the thermal generator slotted and fix my power issues for good. this later also led to a very stupid/funny situation in the dramatic climactic final sequence where i had to fetch more bladderfish out of the emperor aquarium before i had finished talking to them so i can get a bit more clean water for myself

almost everything that i could have hosed up in terms of preparation, i did gently caress up, but it was really cool that it was possible to keep the expedition going by harvesting along the way even well after it seemed like i had passed the point of no return

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ps when i say the cyclops was "a pain in the rear end to maneuver", what i really mean is that i got it completely wedged in the coral shallows you start the game at, and my last save was far enough back that i decided it was worth it to spend thirty minutes jostling it back into the ocean with my prawn instead of resetting. something i learned: if you try to launch a prawn from a beached cyclops, the game's physics engine will pop the cyclops a good thirty feet or so into the air as you exit. give it a shot!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There was a big ol' hole in the mountain that I think was intended for the cyclops to get down into the river and deeper areas and I built my main base overlooking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I think I'll just stay out of this one...