Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I agree unipolar magnets feel like a trap. Sulphuric Acid, Organic Crystals, and Fire Ice are the only useful rares in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The smelters are a total luxury. As already mentioned expanding smelting is trivial so space saving with a super smelter so late is basically a flex.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Eh I don稚 know about T2 smelters. 2x throughput for 4x power, with a lot of PITA components. All they really save you is space, right?

Guess I知 slow.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Eh I don’t know about T2 smelters. 2x throughput for 4x power, with a lot of PITA components. All they really save you is space, right?

Guess I’m slow.

I don't think they're especially good to use, just that they're something to keep in mind when planning consumption or lack thereof. I'll personally just run T1 smelter arrays unless I really need the density for some reason (can't think of what would even need it).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New little hotfix fresh out the oven, with some great news for those who can't stand the tutorials:

quote:

[Version 0.7.18.7063]

Feature:
Now you can choose to Enable/Disable your Milky Way function in the [Settings - Gameplay] option.
Now you can choose to upload/not upload your Dyson Sphere data to Milky Way server in the [Settings - Gameplay] option.
Now you can manually delete your Dyson Sphere data already uploaded to Milky Way in the [Settings - Gameplay] option.
Now you can turn on/off the advisor's prompts Added the ability to turn on or off advisor prompts in the [Settings - Miscellaneous] option.
Now you can hold down the right mouse button in Milky Way to see the camera facing the center of the Milky Way and automatically patrol around.

Change:
Now your ID in Milky Way will be different from other players
Optimized server operating efficiency, and the Milky Way can be loaded smoother than before.
No longer publicly display the names of the Top 10 Possessors in the Milky Way
Adjusted the initial camera position of the Milky Way when entering the Milky Way from StarMap - Now if you enter the Milky Way from StarMap, you will see the location of your star cluster in the Milky Way at the first glance.
Optimized the logic of camera control in the Milky Way
Optimized the VFX of the Milky Way view
Increased the building limit for mass construction from 12 to 15

Bugfix:
Fixed a bug that may appear when the player picked up items in the construction mode
Fixed a bug that the name may be obscured by the bright light of the star cluster when rolling closer to a star cluster
Fixed a bug that the player's name and his/her Dyson Sphere data may not be displayed correctly in the Milky Way after the player's Dyson Sphere data reached the requirements.
Fixed the bug that the thumbnail of the Logistic Vessel may be displayed incorrectly when entering Milky Way from StarMap
Fixed a bug that the UI of Milky Way may be displayed incorrectly
Fixed a bug that the cargo may be imported or exported incorrectly after built Storage Tanks, fractionators or energy exchanges under certain circumstances
Fixed a bug of mold-through under Construction Mode due to the too-late refreshing of collision frame while building a construction
Fixed the bug that the dismantle gizmo may be displayed incorrectly when dismantling the splitter

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

quote:

Now you can turn on/off the advisor's prompts

"If removed the advisor will be devastated."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pyre File posted:

But at that point, I'd have built massive green motor factories anyway, and iron and copper ore are way easier to source and scale up for.

Oh well then I guess you'll never run out of green motors again!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
NEW UPDATE!

and it looks like you can truly turn off the advisor ..

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone know how to make or where to get custom foundation textures?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When you choose the concrete foundation, it has a little grid design in the upper right. Click that to get to the painter.

Right click one of the Custom colors to bring up the color picker.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Anyone having crashing issues with this latest update?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Haven't crashed yet myself 10 hours into a new game. I did get a weird crash alert that disabled autosaves once but a restart fixed that and I haven't had it since.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Likewise, just the "disabled autosave" error has thrown for me so far. No idea what prompted it.

e:
Gotta say, multi build has made building solar belts far more tolerable than it used to be. Now I just need enough soil I can actually lay my tens of thousands of foundation in storage down and build the drat belts. At this rate I may end up moving more production than I had otherwise planned to the other two (desert) planets in my system.

Certainly not putting the sphere in my home system at this rate.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 4, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a pro-tip that has made the spaghetti - logistics transition much smoother in my last two games. If you - and his tends to be the case more often than not - start in a system with a lava world, once you get all your pre-Ti/Si tech built on your home planet, got a nice mall set up, leave all that production in place and move over to your lava world. The abundant iron and copper veins means it is a lot easier to set up dedicated production lines for your drones and towers, your Ti is right at hand and there's often a little silicon too to start making some processors and solar panels. You're still going to have to do some ferrying, like hauling graphene from your starter planet and Titanium back to make Ti crystals and alloy. Instead of the usual sprawling, indecipherable mess where you don't have quite enough iron/magnets/copper or they are on the other side of the planet, you can make a fairly coherent and ratio perfect set up on the new planet. And once you get that going, and get a few towers and drones, you can safely demolish all that old metal production on your homeworld without accidentally loving up some critical chain and leave yourself with a ton of room to set up your ILS system back home. Prioritize MK III belts and sorters, drones and towers and once you got that set up, you can go back to lava world and tear all that poo poo down. I don't know if it actually cuts down on the ferrying trips, but it doesn't increase them and it results in a much smoother transition.

In this most recent seed (which absolutely slays) my homeworld surrounds an ice giant with a second, arid desert satellite, and a tidally-locked lava world. However, the only Si in the system is a 500k vein on the lava planet, so I had to resort to the rock crushing recipe to get Si ore, and man that is insanely inefficient. I was running four 120-smelter blocks, tapping pretty much every stone vein in my system, and I was still just barely keeping up with a single Si smelter block that produced just 2 full belts of purified silicon.

Oh and a final pro tip, if you use tab to select ILS outputs and don't like that switching belt modes, the "switch sorter mode" key binding applies to that as well, so I moved it from tab to left ctrl and it solved my problems.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New little patch out today that addressed the overuse of tab. Now, selecting what comes out of the ILS is chosen with the arrow keys. Glad to see the devs seem to respond to feedback.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gonna get into this now. what are the best mods currently to grab?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SettingSun posted:

New little patch out today that addressed the overuse of tab. Now, selecting what comes out of the ILS is chosen with the arrow keys. Glad to see the devs seem to respond to feedback.

No that's much worse! Now I have to reach around to do select. Same loving thing with rotating miners either direction.

queeb posted:

gonna get into this now. what are the best mods currently to grab?

Just search for these here, I'm not linking them all individually but here's what I run post-patch

AdvancedMiner - creates a level two miner with a bigger cone. Unlocks with MKII assemblers and has recipe requirements so it's not a straight cheat. Placing miners is by far the worst part of the game but with these you can hit 30/s on veins with 4-5 miners. Avoids the "move the miner back and forth to get that one extra node piece" frustration minigame while still requiring some work.
BepInEx - this is a meta mod that creates the framework that a lot of other mods are defpendent on
BetterStats - Better stats.
BuildCounter - counts out the number of belt pips in any given line
Cruise Assist - less important now, but is still somewhat better than the ingame autopilot
DestructorModeReset - 5-star mod right here - If you have destruct mode to grid, when you exit it, it resets it back to the default point setting. So when you press x to quickly delete that thing you misplaced, you won't accidentally delete a 10x10 grid of a factory
DistributeSpaceWarpers - creates a secret hidden 6th slot on ILS towers set to demand 100 warpers. Warper distro is tedious as hell and either eats up an ILS slot or requires spaghettification
FastDrones - must have imo - the current drone settings are punishingly slow, even at max research, and especially punitive in the early game where you have to lay long belt lines. Allows you to build at basically Factorio speeds
FreeCamera - lets you zoom way the hell out
FreeFoundations - vanilla foundations are stupid, it's stupid they stack to just 1000, making them useless to put into towers and soil pile mechanic is trash. Get this.
MinerInfo - tells you how much ore a node is producing
RailgunsRetargeting - makes dyson swarms actually work

I guess if you've never played it maybe avoid AdvMiner, FreeFoundations, Fast Drones, DistroWarpers and Railguns, just so you can later appreciate how much better those mods are.

e: tab still works to swap outputs on ILS

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 7, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Should I wait on them to patch in blueprints or just go ahead and download that mod?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You would be waiting an undetermined amount of time. With copy sorters in the game proper along with drag-build I haven't gotten around to reinstating blueprints myself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BP mod doesn't work anymore.

The copy sorter function is good enough that I really haven't missed BPs that much, or at least not remotely as much as I thought I would. Also, I guess I tended to overbuild with BPs because in my post-patch game building everything by hand, I haven't run into a single problem with the entire motor chain.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zoux posted:

No that's much worse! Now I have to reach around to do select. Same loving thing with rotating miners either direction.

Just search for these here, I'm not linking them all individually but here's what I run post-patch

AdvancedMiner - creates a level two miner with a bigger cone. Unlocks with MKII assemblers and has recipe requirements so it's not a straight cheat. Placing miners is by far the worst part of the game but with these you can hit 30/s on veins with 4-5 miners. Avoids the "move the miner back and forth to get that one extra node piece" frustration minigame while still requiring some work.
BepInEx - this is a meta mod that creates the framework that a lot of other mods are defpendent on
BetterStats - Better stats.
BuildCounter - counts out the number of belt pips in any given line
Cruise Assist - less important now, but is still somewhat better than the ingame autopilot
DestructorModeReset - 5-star mod right here - If you have destruct mode to grid, when you exit it, it resets it back to the default point setting. So when you press x to quickly delete that thing you misplaced, you won't accidentally delete a 10x10 grid of a factory
DistributeSpaceWarpers - creates a secret hidden 6th slot on ILS towers set to demand 100 warpers. Warper distro is tedious as hell and either eats up an ILS slot or requires spaghettification
FastDrones - must have imo - the current drone settings are punishingly slow, even at max research, and especially punitive in the early game where you have to lay long belt lines. Allows you to build at basically Factorio speeds
FreeCamera - lets you zoom way the hell out
FreeFoundations - vanilla foundations are stupid, it's stupid they stack to just 1000, making them useless to put into towers and soil pile mechanic is trash. Get this.
MinerInfo - tells you how much ore a node is producing
RailgunsRetargeting - makes dyson swarms actually work

I guess if you've never played it maybe avoid AdvMiner, FreeFoundations, Fast Drones, DistroWarpers and Railguns, just so you can later appreciate how much better those mods are.

e: tab still works to swap outputs on ILS

How save-compatible are they? Some of the QOL ones look really nice but I'm not redoing the first 15 hours or so of this save again just for QOL mods.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
nvm didn't have it installed properly.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 8, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

How save-compatible are they? Some of the QOL ones look really nice but I'm not redoing the first 15 hours or so of this save again just for QOL mods.

Never had a problem. The only mod that ever broke a save was the FPS improvement one, and it only ever broke the most recent ones. As far as if they work on current saves, should do, I've certainly added many of them mid-file without issue.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Youthcat agrees, and just pushed a different change.

quote:

[Version 0.7.18.7103]
Changes:
Restored [Tab] as the hotkey of Logistic Station output filter, and the hotkey of Conveyer Belt path change is set as [R].
The production and consumption of manual work are added to the statistics panel's 'Total' tab.

BugFix:
Fixed the bug that the size of the Foundation cursor automatically changed back to 2x2 after restarted the game.
Fixed the bug that when quick coping Splitter by [Shift]+[Left Click], the Splitter style may be incorrect.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Considering you can't exactly rotate belts, that feels like a reasonable shortcut. Cool.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

BP mod doesn't work anymore.

The copy sorter function is good enough that I really haven't missed BPs that much, or at least not remotely as much as I thought I would. Also, I guess I tended to overbuild with BPs because in my post-patch game building everything by hand, I haven't run into a single problem with the entire motor chain.

The native copy function is a massive improvement, but I *really* miss BPs and might stop playing again until that's native too.

That said, I've got a "complete" game under my belt and got spoiled by the mod. I wouldn't want to suggest to anyone considering this game to avoid it because BPs aren't there. It's still a very fun and good game even in its current state.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Even when I had the blueprint mod prepatch I didn't actually utilize it that much to complete my game. I usually used it to make dropping lines of solar panels faster and cookie cutter smelting arrays. Would be indispensable if you play at the scale of needing to quickly exploit new planets which I didn't quite get to the level of.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Even when I had the blueprint mod prepatch I didn't actually utilize it that much to complete my game. I usually used it to make dropping lines of solar panels faster and cookie cutter smelting arrays. Would be indispensable if you play at the scale of needing to quickly exploit new planets which I didn't quite get to the level of.

The most important feature of blueprinting for me was the ability to tile belt fed buildings like ray receivers. I probably won't play again until there's a way to do that!

But I was planning on waiting for another content patch anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Considering you can't exactly rotate belts, that feels like a reasonable shortcut. Cool.

You can actually. If youre connecting two things and the square is going |_, R reverses the orientation. Now it adds the non-snap mode in between which is fine I GUESS

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

This time around, trying to distribute production more instead of keep my whole supply line on my home planet and just branching out for resources.
I have no goddamn clue where anything is any more. Honestly considering starting up a spreadsheet just to keep track of what's getting made where. And I'm in that beautiful limbo right before purple science is ready that I forgot how much I hated getting through. Oil loving sucks.

Going to at least pick up and test out some mods though, see if they make the quality of life stuff a bit better.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

This effect is why I知 a fan of centralizing to a Forge World and a Manufactory World (they can be the same planet but this cuts way down on the amount of shipping being done, which is sound from an efficiency standpoint but unacceptable on style grounds)

I might not remember where precisely the six sets of green chip machines are, but if I can identify where they池e being requested to I ought to be able to pick up what I need that way

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can rename planets to what they do

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

euphronius posted:

You can rename planets to what they do

Unfortunately, it's a bit hard to fit "Silicon and Crystals and Green Motors and Solar Panels and Magnets and Supermagnetic Coils and More Circuits and..." into a planet name.
Hence why I considered the spreadsheet and promptly realized what a pain it would be.

LonsomeSon posted:

This effect is why I’m a fan of centralizing to a Forge World and a Manufactory World (they can be the same planet but this cuts way down on the amount of shipping being done, which is sound from an efficiency standpoint but unacceptable on style grounds)

I might not remember where precisely the six sets of green chip machines are, but if I can identify where they’re being requested to I ought to be able to pick up what I need that way

Once I get warpers set up I'll hopefully be able to re-concentrate some of these things in more useful locations. As it stands I'm pretty much shoving things where space and supply chain permits. Starting planet that had a bit of everything, second moon of the starter giant with everything titanium-related plus the partial mall and several few other things, and the innermost with... well, see above.

Last time around, yeah, I centralized everything that wasn't a raw material. This time I got a pretty bad geography roll for my starting planet and made the mistake of not building to plug logistics in later and expecting to tear things down, so gaps everywhere. Still unfucking basic materials and nowhere close to having purple sci ready. Hell, yellow sci is just a trickle because of oil limitations.

edit:
Free Foundations mod doesn't work, rip. Put a damper on continuing today.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 12, 2021

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
You people use your home planets after warpers? I just threw down some end line isl and bounced to the next system over to restart with logistics towers rather then try and retrofit my starter.

My home system still makes science and occasionally my new isl with warper will fly back there for some overflow but otherwise its been abandoned to its fate as resources slowly get used up and it shuts down.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

No reason not to leave your first mall in place, with the inputs and outputs wired into logistics. Saves you having to replicate it elsewhere, and needing to tear down anything on the home dirtball.

I知 pretty much landing on automating everything up to gas collectors at home, and then establishing mass manufacturing for sphere parts, particle colliders, and all that good poo poo fresh. My current embark has an inner lava planet I知 using for smelting and now I知 building an iceball out into that manufacturing base. There ought to be a nice constant churn of transports moving between all three, plus out-system deliveries dropping in and warping out of the inner system.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My home system had enough of everything (including fire ice on the gas giant) that I just made it my manufacturing hub all the way through.

Nicely on this seed, there's a type O with a tidally locked 2nd planet. Busy building it into a giant mirrorball right now, then I'm going to move all the log stations over to one of those planets.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Evidently I finally got lucky. Cracked space warpers, made a few from lenses to scout nearby systems, and within 6 LY I have every rare resource except unipolars, in sizable quantities.

...except sulfuric acid lakes. One planet with 99.6% ground coverage and two tiny ponds that I fully tapped. Rip. Either way, pushing to green science so I can start actually producing warpers en masse, and start specializing some planets and whatnot. Maybe even start building a sphere on this save finally. No good candidates anywhere near me, though...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I知 feeling guilty about burning warpers shipping ore. Trying to build assembly of sub-units on the mining planets.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

GD_American posted:

I’m feeling guilty about burning warpers shipping ore. Trying to build assembly of sub-units on the mining planets.

They're cheap enough once you get going that I wouldn't be terribly worried, but I do tend to mix single-product production where I can. My iron refining layouts are usually 4 iron smelter lines, 1 magnet smelter line, and 1 gear assembler lime per ILS, and along with a dedicated magnet smelter station that's carrying me with no shortages so far. Same deal with silicon and silicon crystals, mix in a line to supplement dedicated production as needed. I have yet to really scale up as far as I should with refining, though. Once I start having these other systems readily accessible, handing at least one over to purely refining ores and whatever is the plan.

At least I have automated ILS/ship production routed into ILSes for delivery this time, unlike my last mall, even if it's on a completely separate planet from the rest of my mediocre mall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

GD_American posted:

I知 feeling guilty about burning warpers shipping ore. Trying to build assembly of sub-units on the mining planets.

The most-rare resource in a massive-factory game is player time and attention. If you build a central Forge World, then wherever in the galaxy you are getting ore from, it will be automatically taken to the right place by your freighters. As long as your throughput for ingots or magnets is high enough, it痴 set and forget.

And then the expansions are also set and forget