Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Crab Dad posted:

ECRC still terrible and in addition to being delayed a week there’s also the 96 coming up that may push me back a little if anything goes wrong.

Told my NOSC that I would be potentially flying in Friday or Saturday and they said perfect it’s a drill weekend just come in right away.

No. It’s been 370 days. They can wait till Monday.

Reserves.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

ECRC still terrible and in addition to being delayed a week there’s also the 96 coming up that may push me back a little if anything goes wrong.

Told my NOSC that I would be potentially flying in Friday or Saturday and they said perfect it’s a drill weekend just come in right away.

No. It’s been 370 days. They can wait till Monday.

Your NOSC doesn't have the Monday after drill weekends off?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There’s usually 2-3 people around since it’s a big NOSC. They even have two drill weekends per month.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

A lot of the larger ones do a 50/50 split on Mondays and Fridays + two drill weekends.

That way people still get time off but are never closed.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Update to the GAO report on Navy Readiness:

Additional Efforts Are Needed to Manage Fatigue, Reduce Crewing Shortfalls, and Implement Training
https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-21-366.pdf

The gap between required positions and filled positions reached 15% in September 2020. Despite efforts to manage fatigue in the force, only 14% of surface warfare officers on surface ships reported receiving 7 hours of sleep or more. Navy's method of reporting on filled vs funded instead of filled vs required positions potentially masks some of the issues.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Oh weird. I wonder why they're having trouble getting people to join.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MikeBlack114/status/1398793965835538432?s=20

Oh no, the Iranians are sailing in international waters going to Venezuela! NAVSO and C4F must be at maximum alert with literal ones of people working the issue

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

piL posted:

Update to the GAO report on Navy Readiness:

Additional Efforts Are Needed to Manage Fatigue, Reduce Crewing Shortfalls, and Implement Training
https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-21-366.pdf

The gap between required positions and filled positions reached 15% in September 2020. Despite efforts to manage fatigue in the force, only 14% of surface warfare officers on surface ships reported receiving 7 hours of sleep or more. Navy's method of reporting on filled vs funded instead of filled vs required positions potentially masks some of the issues.

Did they try having their senior officers and senior enlisted yell at their people about how much worse they had it and how this is easy by comparison so what the hell is the issue?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, CNRF is going to be doing a massive MOBEX for (nearly) all 50,000+ reservists next month, requiring all units to verify the administrative readiness for their folks and having the NOSCs do run throughs for mobilizing the majority of sailors they oversee.

I can’t wait to see how much of a shitshow this becomes.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I can't wait for this to be a poo poo show, have a through AAR made (see no sleep at sea above), and nothing done with it. I know the NOSCs I dealt with hosed up royally my MOB when I was still in so can't wait to see all the cross assigned and travel orders be hosed.

It always pissed me off that FST/TAR sailors were supposed to be the SMEs but ended up just being broke dick sea going rates that got converted and majority know vastly less about anything to do with helping SELRES accomplish any tasks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ll be on terminal from active until the last week of July. Darn.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

AlternateNu posted:

So, CNRF is going to be doing a massive MOBEX for (nearly) all 50,000+ reservists next month, requiring all units to verify the administrative readiness for their folks and having the NOSCs do run throughs for mobilizing the majority of sailors they oversee.

This seems like an insane amount of paperwork to determine if a nosc has mob ready sailors.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

piL posted:

only 14% of surface warfare officers on surface ships reported receiving 7 hours of sleep or more.

Ahh, is this what they mean by the military being "too woke"?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PneumonicBook posted:

This seems like an insane amount of paperwork to determine if a nosc has mob ready sailors.

The reasoning given is: 1. They've never actually done a comprehensive readiness check like...ever, and 2. RESFOR was so off hands during COVID and so much has slipped over the last year, they really need to figure out where we're at which I kinda understand.

But again, this is going to be a shitshow. I also can't wait to see how hosed up the Flank Speed rollout is going to be. I've been getting emails every other day with the whole "FLANK SPEED IS COMING! CVR IS GOING AWAY! GET HYPE! (DON'T FORGET TO TRANSFER YOUR poo poo!)"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Voluntarily cutting its own end strength by 1600 people next year should certainly help.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

AlternateNu posted:

The reasoning given is: 1. They've never actually done a comprehensive readiness check like...ever, and 2. RESFOR was so off hands during COVID and so much has slipped over the last year, they really need to figure out where we're at which I kinda understand.

But again, this is going to be a shitshow. I also can't wait to see how hosed up the Flank Speed rollout is going to be. I've been getting emails every other day with the whole "FLANK SPEED IS COMING! CVR IS GOING AWAY! GET HYPE! (DON'T FORGET TO TRANSFER YOUR poo poo!)"

Having SurgeMain spot-activate in the middle of COVID was an impressive wake-up call. There was so much "get it done" that if the NOSC went hands-off, then it seemed as though god himself took the wheel and stuff just happened. I hope all of those people deactivating and rolling back to units from now through September don't shock the NOSCs into catatonia.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

Voluntarily cutting its own end strength by 1600 people next year should certainly help.

Personnel reductions will continue until morale improves.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
9/11 happens: lets downsize the force!
20 years later: idiot monkey noises

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Looks like someone is going to need to update their order of battle slides today

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1400055365841129479?s=20

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Uhh actually the reduction in force is good because it helped me get out 2 years early. God bless those admirals 💙💙💙💙💙💛💛💛💛💛

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lookin at my DD214 and I got 3 years and 6 months of active duty.

Woo hoo! Also very interesting how involuntary mobs are going away pretty much the day after I finished my mob to protect me from that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crab Dad posted:

Lookin at my DD214 and I got 3 years and 6 months of active duty.

Woo hoo! Also very interesting how involuntary mobs are going away pretty much the day after I finished my mob to protect me from that.

100% post 911 GI BILL WOOP WOOP

Grats crabdad. You won at the navy.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 18, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m planning on transferring it to my kids so I need to sign up for 6 more years but I don’t need to do anything.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 18, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crab Dad posted:

I’m planning on transferring it to my kids so I need to sign up for 6 more years but I don’t need to do anything.

Unless war were declared.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, I don't know how old your kids are, but they have to use whatever you transfer before they turn 26. Friend of mine is leaving a few months on the table because she took too long off.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, I don't know how old your kids are, but they have to use whatever you transfer before they turn 26. Friend of mine is leaving a few months on the table because she took too long off.

Thanks but they are only 11 right now so they got plenty of time.

I’m not sure if the 1 to 5 dwell time is still a thing but I should be good for 18 months times 5 if so.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Grip it and rip it posted:

Uhh actually the reduction in force is good because it helped me get out 2 years early. God bless those admirals 💙💙💙💙💙💛💛💛💛💛

Same lol

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I still need to figure out what I want to do with my 9/11 GI bill. I don't have any dependents and no kids on the horizon.

But I don't really need the money nor have the time to actually dig into another post-grad degree. >_>

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I still need to figure out what I want to do with my 9/11 GI bill. I don't have any dependents and no kids on the horizon.

But I don't really need the money nor have the time to actually dig into another post-grad degree. >_>

Hold on to it as you never know when you might want to be something different when you grow up.

-Me having gone back for my second grad degree, an MSW, in mid-30s

Edit: https://twitter.com/JournoGeoffZ/status/1400183330440499200?s=20

I was an east coast guy but, from what crabdad says, Washington seems wonderful

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 3, 2021

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Go learn to fly. Lot's of VA approved flight schools.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The question there would be whether or not the GI Bill would cover *flight hours*, not just instruction.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The answer used to be a hard no, and since they've clamped down on aviation schools I doubt it's changed.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Always thought it'd be fun to go to culinary school with the GI bill, if nothing else.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hold on to it as you never know when you might want to be something different when you grow up.

-Me having gone back for my second grad degree, an MSW, in mid-30s

Edit: https://twitter.com/JournoGeoffZ/status/1400183330440499200?s=20

I was an east coast guy but, from what crabdad says, Washington seems wonderful

Everett has its pros and cons. Cost of living sucks, there isn't a lot to do locally (and I mean in town), and its in the convergence zone so that during the winter it rains eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevery drat day. From the parking lot to the pier is like a mile.

However! Pros!
(1) Its not really a Navy town. Everyone assumes you work for Boeing, not the Navy. I met a bunch of people that didn't even know there was a base!
(2) Easy access to Seattle, the mountains, and Canada.
(3) Miss you Memo's

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/surflant/status/1400477721810157572?s=19

I would've used the word assassinated but tomato tomatoe

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The question there would be whether or not the GI Bill would cover *flight hours*, not just instruction.

A lot of schools package the whole thing. If you need extra hours it is out of pocket.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Geizkragen posted:

A lot of schools package the whole thing. If you need extra hours it is out of pocket.

Last I looked into this the GI Bill would not pay for a Private Pilots License but would cover additional instruction on things like instrument ratings and multi engine ratings or whatever else you need towards a commercial pilots license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I think the old GI bill was better for getting a pilot license, but that is something I recall hearing and never actually looked into. Not sure if that's any help whatsoever