Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Can't believe Teslas have video screens right in front of the driver so they can watch Cop Procedurals while on a commute. SMDH.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (July 24, 1993)

:sickos: It's happening!

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

ronya posted:

I think this one didn't appear in the original webcomic run...?

A lot of the extra stuff is characterization for the boys, I suppose, who got dealt a rather short hand in the webcomic
Yeah, this from the updated version he did for publication.

Kazinsal posted:

Something I'm noticing a fair bit in this Bad Machinery re-read is the background ways that John Allison depicts the class differences between the characters' families. Look at the grot and stains in the corner of the wall near the cheap table with chairs that have no backs that Colm's working at, and the piled up bills in front of the door. Contrast that to Mildred's family home, which is absolutely spotless. Even Shauna's home, which isn't exactly upper class (I believe it's said they live in a council estate, which my understanding is that's a britishism for public row housing) at least is depicted as being fairly clean.
Yeah, he's pretty great at the little details.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Award-Winning Richard Linklater "Documentary"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can't believe it's been nine years since we last saw Savarna. :corsair:

Bogor

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

Can't believe it's been nine years since we last saw Savarna. :corsair:

:stare:

Wait... No.

No.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
How dare you remind us of the inescapable march of time! :argh:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Darthemed posted:

Popular Comics, double Terry edition

As problematic as she and this storyline are, the Dragon Lady kicks rear end and I would love to read about her loving poo poo up without these lame-rear end "main characters" getting in the way.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hostile V posted:

Funny Online Award-Winning Richard Linklater "Documentary"

Friggin' loved this one. "Me & You" was my favorite KCG project in a while, he does such a good job of marrying Tom & Jerry/Roadrunner & Wile E. Coyote antics with dead-eyed cynicism.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set isn't good at mingling.

Working Daze really leans into the nostalgia.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a downward spiral.

Cul De Sac might actually be stalling.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (July 12, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 30, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 14, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 19, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 20, 1935)

Mopsy (February 18, 1937)

Dark Laughter (January 26, 1946)

Those Were the Days (August 13, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (September 8, 1965)

Wee Pals (September 8, 1965)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

If it wasn't a couple decades apart I'd say he was just complaining about Mopsy. :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

this owns

(do not kill sharks)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh nooo modern women are badass enough to run at a shark with a knife????

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

this owns

(do not kill sharks)

Pet them instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vNkK80CXPA

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I don't know how many more strips there are in the Those Were the Days archives, but it feels like we've already hit the point where Beeman's over the concept and is just looking for a regular excuse to draw a bikini girl as a representation of The 50's

Sharks are smooth as Hell

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

JethroMcB posted:

I don't know how many more strips there are in the Those Were the Days archives, but it feels like we've already hit the point where Beeman's over the concept and is just looking for a regular excuse to draw a bikini girl as a representation of The 50's
It ran until 1983.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slammy posted:

It ran until 1983.

I hope it spirals into Heathcliffian absurdity

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I hope that by the end the Those Were the Days are some of the 50s trends he's mad about now. :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The final strip will be “remember when women were ready to fight a shark? Now they’re all about dethroning God!”

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

To be fair, if Bernice kissed me I think I would want an apology.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

It ran until 1983.

My reactions are, simultaneously, "Dear God" and "Oh, HELL yeah"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
Whoever said it would involve a C/F slip-up was right.

Locher Tracy

Some prime Locher Arms on display today.

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

70?! That's not below freezing on either scale!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bruceski posted:

That's the (indoor) thermostat, not anything measuring outdoor temperatures. He's supposedly checking to make sure it's set high enough that the pipes won't freeze.

It's still proof that he's lying because a Canadian thermostat would presumably be set at 21C instead.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bruceski posted:

It is in Kelvins!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kavak posted:

It is in Kelvins!

No, Calvin is in that other comic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I choose to read that narration in panel one as saying that Dr Jeff was a child prodigy ā la Doogie Howser.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

[No strip for wednesday for whatever reason]

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

It's not often we see Tweetie happy or caring like this, and I am very happy to catch this little interaction :3:

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

And here I was hoping it was a "and his glasses would have fogged up instantly."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: scheming (September 17-23, 2001)

What was the purpose of doing this? From Angelique's point of view, I mean. Spite? She was never shown to be this spiteful before.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There. Fixed it.

It's an in-character joke. You're allowed to have the characters acknowledge that it's amusing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Now there's a boomer joke you don't generally think of as such. Yeah, kids our day could fix computers, because that was what we had to use to do stuff. But kids these days grow up on tablets and cell phones with the same user-friendly interfaces designed for old people. In this day and age you can't even trust that a kid knows what a mouse or trackpad is, let alone where the settings are for fiddling with it.

We get it. White people are bad. Just because something is true doesn't make it a joke you can repeat several times in a row.

quote:

Popular Comics, double Terry edition

I am continually irritated by goon sacrificing evil plans that could only possibly work if the goons are idiots incapable of making painfully obvious logical deductions. I just saw a movie where the villain's plan to incinerate his own gangsters only fails because the heroes had replaced the exploding gasoline in the tanks with water, and the goons immediately come to his aid next scene having somehow not realized that if the gasoline had been in the tanks like they had been told, they would have all been killed.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

That's the (indoor) thermostat, not anything measuring outdoor temperatures. He's supposedly checking to make sure it's set high enough that the pipes won't freeze.

It's still proof that he's lying because a Canadian thermostat would presumably be set at 21C instead.

While I suspected a Metric Mix-up, this is weird. A metric thermostat for a house that has the option to set the temperature to 70° C seems insane.

Surely they're not taking him at his word that he set the thermostat to 70°, are they?

I guess it could make sense if the house is new, and the thermostats were required to display in Celsius because of the recent metrification, but the Canadian investigators and the perp were thinking in Fahrenheit, so nobody actually looked at the thermostat.

Seems like a lot to stuff into one remaining comic, though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/3/01

Brenda Starr 8/8-10/46

That's a great octopushat.

Smokey Stover 7/6/41

Schroeder's Poor Almanac

Deathless Deer 5/13-15/43

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 21, 2009)

This comic is so goddamned dumb sometimes, but I like the art, so it's not going anywhere.

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 21, 1999)

Garfield Classic (September 21, 1989)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Yes, Arlo, yes.