Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Laserjet 4P posted:

Vital is Serum improved. Haven’t touched Serum since I got Vital. It improves on it in pretty much every single way. Spend your rent to own on Phaseplant. I owned Serum since its initial release but the price is now too high for the competition it has, though rent to own is a good idea.

Better effects. Proper FM. True dual filters. The main thing Serum has going for it is more commercially available presets, but Vital has a Discord with lots of good stuff being shared.

https://gumroad.com/databroth for wt’s

Also if Surge is not in your installed plugins list get it now.

Man I am really loving Serum alongside Vital - it sounds really good to me and I find its workflow to be pretty intuitive, great filter selection and some useful LFO shapes. Oh, I quite like its wavetable editor and how I can add a custom amount of distortion to wave segments directly too. And the lock effects thing has been neat too.

Not to say I dislike Vital's wavetable editor with its cool keyframes, or the extra morph feature, or the extra filter and ease of stereo operation, or the full third osc instead of a few shapes. Or the way higher frequency possible on some things, just some real differences I've noticed, obv. I'm not an expert in this stuff.

I've been using Vital to make sounds with more movement and complexity and Serum to make stuff that's effecty but more "focused." My current inclination is not to drop Serum but rather to keep learning it and Vital also. For that learning part I've been appreciating that Serum does have just a shitload of presets out there, and it's quick and easy to see how patches are made, how certain envelopes and LFOs can be used with filters and controlling other elements to achieve specific things. That all seems to translate well not just to Vital but to other synths I have been using also.

Still I am not at all trying to say it's better than or I shouldn't check out Phaseplant - it does seem really neat, modular but digital?, ~the same monthly price as Splice's rent to own model and it looks like it does go on sale so it wouldn't be crazy to think after a year of subscription I could get the full license at $99 (like it is on sale for now) with their 12 months subscription = $100 shop credit thing. I dunno, though, I feel like I have my hands so full learning to play keys and learning to use synths and learning to record and mix all this at the same time already, and using Serum and Vital has felt really productive in what I'm doing right now (and, I mean, they control so similarly that it feels like there isn't much extra learning curve). I may need to just pick Phaseplant up some time it goes on sale again in the future. If you feel really strongly that I'm making a mistake let me know.

I didn't have Surge, but I have followed this instruction, thanks for the heads up :) reading the manual now. This seems pretty very cool!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

For your price range get a Erica Synths Pico system 3.

Just know that if you don't have at least 3000$ to throw at it over the next 2 years, it's probably better not to get into eurorack. It's expensive, way more expensive than desktop synths

Yeah, I saw the 400$ and thought that would maybe be enough for a case and power.
I have somehow put ~7000€ into euro in about 5 years and I barely use it nor am particulary interested it in anymore. Eurocrack indeed.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I have spent more than 15k€ in 3 years (selling a lot of modules too when I wasn't using them) for my system. But at least I use it all the time and I'm having tons of fun.

I'm mostly after wysiwyg modules now. I love the immediacy. Just spent 400€ on 3 drum modules from an obscure Italian manufacturer. L. E. P cassa, bongo and legno.

Same circuits as in the multicassa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3zC10ey_g

Eurocrack indeed

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 4, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

petit choux posted:

Machines can and probably do already make better music than humans. In fact, if we can get these humans out of the way the sky is the limit.
I mean, the idea behind 80s synthpop wasn't just "music made with synths".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Just know that if you don't have at least 3000$ to throw at it over the next 2 years, it's probably better not to get into eurorack. It's expensive, way more expensive than desktop synths

Just invest in a soldering station and make your own synth modules out of parts from radioshack

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

petit choux posted:

Machines can and probably do already make better music than humans. In fact, if we can get these humans out of the way the sky is the limit.

One of the reasons why I dropped out of music for about a decade was I got so into the math of music theory that it seemed inevitable. You can't convince me that a human has written any song for a Broadway musical in the last five years. Also, reducing music theory to pure numbers in the pursuit to make it easier just robs you of any joy from composition when aurally all you hear is the equivalent of the streaming numbers from the Matrix.

I've been expanding on a 10-measure, five-part cantus firmus for a week now and I am sure a computer could do something passable with B and C part variations in about 10 seconds so now I do it because otherwise I'd do dumb poo poo like mod an eBike that can do 50 mph instead of buying gear or being another GenXer sexpest to 20-year-olds on twitter.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
SynthThread: “I spent €15K on music gear because the alternative was to be a sex pest to strangers online”

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

SynthThread: “I spent €15K on music gear because the alternative was to be a sex pest to strangers online”

Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmfao
l

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

One of the reasons why I dropped out of music for about a decade was I got so into the math of music theory that it seemed inevitable. You can't convince me that a human has written any song for a Broadway musical in the last five years. Also, reducing music theory to pure numbers in the pursuit to make it easier just robs you of any joy from composition when aurally all you hear is the equivalent of the streaming numbers from the Matrix.

I've been expanding on a 10-measure, five-part cantus firmus for a week now and I am sure a computer could do something passable with B and C part variations in about 10 seconds so now I do it because otherwise I'd do dumb poo poo like mod an eBike that can do 50 mph instead of buying gear or being another GenXer sexpest to 20-year-olds on twitter.

I became sort of a purist for a while, I decided it's not music unless it's live performance. I was living with musicians, was surrounded with live music at all times. I hung around at a lot of drum circles in the forest, even learned to play and make the drums myself a little bit. I guess I want to see that kind of energy and community in synthetic music as well. And here we are.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Somebody shoulda told Gary Glitter that it was an either-or option.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the recommendations, folks! I really appreciate all the feedback. Looked more into the Crave and Mother 32 so far, but I'll be doing more research tonight after work.

As for the cost of a Eurorack case being an initial barrier at the $400-600ish initial investment, it turns out that wouldn't be much of a factor. My partner reminded me just now that my very detail-oriented, techie woodworker friend wants to do a project for me, so a small/midsize case would be perfect and pretty quick if I do decide to take the plunge (and maybe a side-hustle for him once we got the design hashed out). And with the money I save doing that, it cancels out the $85ish that it takes to power it, right? :v: I'm good with money.

Rutibex posted:

Just invest in a soldering station and make your own synth modules out of parts from radioshack

...and yeah, I've got the soldering station already and I'm a few projects in. Just need a multimeter and some more practice.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Snip
...and yeah, I've got the soldering station already and I'm a few projects in. Just need a multimeter and some more practice.
Here's a diy project for yah
https://youtu.be/_mUiwIPXXFE

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, folks! I really appreciate all the feedback. Looked more into the Crave and Mother 32 so far, but I'll be doing more research tonight after work.

As for the cost of a Eurorack case being an initial barrier at the $400-600ish initial investment, it turns out that wouldn't be much of a factor. My partner reminded me just now that my very detail-oriented, techie woodworker friend wants to do a project for me, so a small/midsize case would be perfect and pretty quick if I do decide to take the plunge (and maybe a side-hustle for him once we got the design hashed out). And with the money I save doing that, it cancels out the $85ish that it takes to power it, right? :v: I'm good with money.

There’s also stuff like the Behringer semi-modular clones (and even some of the super cheap modular stuff, you could probably slap together a superbasic eurorack two-voice for like $300 but it wouldn’t get you super far before you wanted to add stuff to it)

I’d also recommend looking at Arturia (microfreak?) and Korg, Roland, Yamaha keyboard stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
for $400 you could probably also do really well buying computer junk, like the Puremagnetik Century, but those are best had when they’re half off, etc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

for $400 you could probably also do really well buying computer junk, like the Puremagnetik Century, but those are best had when they’re half off, etc

Yeah for $400 you could easily buy a Windows tablet and one of these:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's my path, use software synths for everything and blow the budget on MIDI controllers to satisfy the knob twiddling urge.

It's still a money sink but it's a lot less money to get going.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i have an MPK mini and while i don’t regret the money i spent on it i really wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. the keybed just sucks to play with

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I have a MiniLab, and the free software it came with is enough to keep me busy making fart noises forever. Analog Lab V was only $69 (nice) to upgrade, so I got that too. I also have Pigments, but that's what started all this MIDI nonsense.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Microfreak + Pigments is lovely, especially as I got them in that order. The MF is the first thing I've had that has aftertouch and that really brings Pigments alive

Don't forget to grab the free Komplete Start set either, you get a version of Reaktor Blocks with it to begin to fulfill that eurocrack need

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Speaking of MIDI controllers, anyone have thoughts on the Launchkey MK3s (the full sized ones)? I have a keystep (the 32 key one), which is nice and portable (except for the dinky mini-USB jack), and a digital piano when I want to play something with a 88 real keys that feel great, but for messing around in Ableton, one of the new Launchkeys looks like it could be fun and useful, with the various ways it integrates with Ableton. I'm not expecting those keys to feel anything like a real piano, but is the build quality okay and the Ableton integration as good as it looks?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I had a Launchkey Mk3 49-key, and I have a Launchkey Mk3 37-key. I loved the 49-key and I love the 37-key. They have a solid feel, made from plastic but sturdy, with high quality knobs and good feeling faders on the larger models, no janky or erratic controls. All of the features are smart, and work well, without bugs or horseshit, and the manufacturer has been good with support post-launch also.

The reason I didn't keep the 49-key and ended up with this far less well supported M-Audio Oxygen Pro 49 key is because I really wanted to try aftertouch, and honestly I do love aftertouch (though it is channel aftertouch, not gonna get better aftertouch without spending more). But, I loved all the functions of the Launchkey (it has very cool arp modes, chord features, and pad modes) and the 37-key model has all of the same functions as far as all that goes, it just doesn't have any faders or the additional keys.

In terms of the keybed feel, it is synth action feeling in comparison to the Oxygen Pro, which uses semi-weighted keys that have a deeper travel and feel a little more hefty. The Launchkey Mk3's keys are plenty dynamic in terms of velocity sensitivity, though. While M-Audio isn't like on a different world of feel here, I do prefer the feel of the Oxygen Pro keys personally. But, I don't think the Launchkey feels bad to play and I enjoy using it very much too. I like to have the LK3 pads controlling drums and 1-shots, LK3 keys on my bass synth.

I don't even use Ableton software, but every review I read and every video you watch talks about how it's got great Ableton integration, hopefully they're not all full of crap. It was great to use controlling Reaper after spending a bit setting it up how I wanted as a class-compliant MIDI device, but it looks from videos like they were super thoughtful about how it works with Live. Maybe someone with more experience there can comment on its integration.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 4, 2021

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

If you feel really strongly that I'm making a mistake let me know.

So a little backstory; I got Serum when it was just about to be released for the intro price. In that time the current reigning champion was NI Massive so that was what Serum went up against - a single developer effectively taking on Native Instruments and succeeding, too.

Serum is a bit of a love letter to NI - made by someone who looked at Absynth and thought “hey, that editor is cool, I’ll use that for Serum”. Massive has its wavetables locked away and can’t load samples, so Serum solved that and the range of sounds increased. The whole oscillator resampling thing used in the Hypergrowl ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stvc9zR3-KA ) is exactly something someone would come up with who is just the right amount of geeky about it.

However, while NI has blundered a bit with Massive X (no per voice unison, for shame) and Arturia has done a great attempt with Pigments, it means that things have gotten quite a bit more competitive. That makes the current asking price a bit high, I feel.

Sylenth was king 10 years ago but I can’t recommend it anymore - other synths can do everything that does, and objectively better; and I fear Serum has a bit of a similar issue. It has some glaring weak spots (LFO speeds, reverb quality, single filter) that are not likely to be solved and if they’re solved it’d be too late.

However, do not let me take away from your enjoyment - for instance while PhasePlant is theoretically better than both, I don’t use it as much because I don’t have the full suite of effects. Should’ve done the monthly thing I guess. Serum gelled really well with me and Vital even better and arguably the both have a good deal of overlap. I need more wavetable synths like I need a hole in my head, but if I could keep only one, it would be Vital. YMMV.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

However, while NI has blundered a bit with Massive X (no per voice unison, for shame) and Arturia has done a great attempt with Pigments, it means that things have gotten quite a bit more competitive. That makes the current asking price a bit high, I feel.

I just wanna express my deep and abiding love for Pigments' interface yet again. I'm a very visual person so it just really engages me and gets me noise-diving way more than I would with a more knobby traditional interface.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Speaking of Eurocrack, heard from a little bird that maybe these are coming back in stock soon and will be available direct from his site.

Just thought some of ya'll might give a poo poo.

https://rabidelephant.com/products/natural-gate

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

petit choux posted:

I became sort of a purist for a while, I decided it's not music unless it's live performance. I was living with musicians, was surrounded with live music at all times. I hung around at a lot of drum circles in the forest, even learned to play and make the drums myself a little bit. I guess I want to see that kind of energy and community in synthetic music as well. And here we are.

then what you want is not a modular. a modular is the equivalent of showing up to a gig with a laptop

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Trig Discipline posted:

I just wanna express my deep and abiding love for Pigments' interface yet again. I'm a very visual person so it just really engages me and gets me noise-diving way more than I would with a more knobby traditional interface.

:same:

Pigments is awesome and I don't use it anywhere near enough.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

watho posted:

i have an MPK mini and while i don’t regret the money i spent on it i really wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. the keybed just sucks to play with

Yeah the keys on the MPK mini are basically the same quality as a childs 50-in-one keyboard. The knobs the the drum pads are pretty nice though. I think its the cheapest thing you can get if you want a little bit of everything.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Agreed posted:

I had a Launchkey Mk3 49-key, and I have a Launchkey Mk3 37-key. I loved the 49-key and I love the 37-key. They have a solid feel, made from plastic but sturdy, with high quality knobs and good feeling faders on the larger models, no janky or erratic controls. All of the features are smart, and work well, without bugs or horseshit, and the manufacturer has been good with support post-launch also.

The reason I didn't keep the 49-key and ended up with this far less well supported M-Audio Oxygen Pro 49 key is because I really wanted to try aftertouch, and honestly I do love aftertouch (though it is channel aftertouch, not gonna get better aftertouch without spending more). But, I loved all the functions of the Launchkey (it has very cool arp modes, chord features, and pad modes) and the 37-key model has all of the same functions as far as all that goes, it just doesn't have any faders or the additional keys.

In terms of the keybed feel, it is synth action feeling in comparison to the Oxygen Pro, which uses semi-weighted keys that have a deeper travel and feel a little more hefty. The Launchkey Mk3's keys are plenty dynamic in terms of velocity sensitivity, though. While M-Audio isn't like on a different world of feel here, I do prefer the feel of the Oxygen Pro keys personally. But, I don't think the Launchkey feels bad to play and I enjoy using it very much too. I like to have the LK3 pads controlling drums and 1-shots, LK3 keys on my bass synth.

I don't even use Ableton software, but every review I read and every video you watch talks about how it's got great Ableton integration, hopefully they're not all full of crap. It was great to use controlling Reaper after spending a bit setting it up how I wanted as a class-compliant MIDI device, but it looks from videos like they were super thoughtful about how it works with Live. Maybe someone with more experience there can comment on its integration.

Great -- thank you for the detailed impressions. That sounds good, and as I have a Launch control XL here, which seems like it would cover the additional faders and buttons you get on the MK3 49-key, the 37-key version is sounding like a great option.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It’s discontinued but if you see a clean edirol pcr on Craigslist or something they are amazing for ableton

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol i installed vital and my 2014 mbp absolutely cannot handle it. bummer

probably gonna upgrade it whenever 13" mbps get the new apple silicon i guess

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

a mysterious cloak posted:

:same:

Pigments is awesome and I don't use it anywhere near enough.

I really need to get into tweaking Pigments. I love how it sounds, but I'm still mostly preset surfing, especially after the sale on all those presets when it went to Pigments 3. I generally make a sequence with simple beep boops, and then tweak the synthesizers until it sounds cool, and that usually involves picking a preset that works good enough and messing with it or not, but I'd like to dig more into how to make the better beep boops with Pigments.

When I try to make a music, it generally sounds something like this: https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/laughing-at-cryptocurrencies

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well i did the thing where you buy komplete select for half off and then upgrade it to standard during the sale

mostly cause i wanted a legit copy of guitar rig, and also to upgrade to 6.

i have a lot of music software that i don't know how to use all that well

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

im_sorry posted:

I'd like to dig more into how to make the better beep boops with Pigments.

Arturia has a bunch of tutorials on their channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkOvrKzWT6FW9DTSceCDoCA

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Looked back a ways and didn't see any other clueless newbies asking goons to guide their wallet, so here goes:

tl;dr, I have $400 or so I'd like to throw at a modular or semi-modular system to see if things really "click" with me in advance of taking the plunge into beginning to assemble a Eurorack or something. Looking to do sound exploring and IDM/Ambient kind of stuff.

I love bleep bloops. I love robot farts. I love knobs and buttons and gadgets. For two goddamn decades I've been saying "oh I'll get into electronic music sometime." But I kept bouncing off the DAWs I would download and fiddle with a bit in the early 00's. The interfaces just didn't interest me.

Recently, finally, I got an itch. I picked up a cheap secondhand Arturia Beatmaster. Started playing around with that, but it wasn't the self-contained experience I thought it was (thanks, YouTube). So I picked up a Pocket Operator. And another. And another. And I know there's something here and it's really exciting to be able to build this little musical ecosystem.

Then I downloaded VCV Rack, and I realize I'm likely hosed now. This janky amazing switchboard poo poo is what I've been after. I've sunk a dozen hours or so into it over the past week and I'm only getting more excited, so I'm ready to give it a shot.

I can justify throwing like $400 at this to see if I stick with it (can go higher -- maaaybe $600ish if there's something truly mindblowing there). Eurorack (or another rack system, I haven't looked into the others much) seems like where I'll eventually end up. But I'm an indecisive kid in a really, REALLY expensive candy store, so something relatively self-contained might be a good idea to start with and build out from. Sequencers are my most likely workflow as I never learned keys, but the Beatmaster has me covered there. But I'm not averse to something with keys if it ends up being a better buy, or to picking up multiple items. And I don't need visualization since I have an (OLD) oscilloscope hooked into my hifi system.

So yeah. What do? I'm really new to the manufacturers (other than, like, Yamaha for my stereo receiver) so I'm not sure where to start exactly. The Crave looked pretty good for the price ($200 at Sweetwater), but I don't want to cheap out and regret it if I could get more bang for my buck by spending more.

Edit: Also worth noting that while I'm not terribly good at it, I do have a soldering station and an itch for a project for it, so some DIY isn't entirely out of the question -- but I wouldn't want to meticulously solder together like 6 different boards as my intro to the hobby. Might leave a bad taste in my mouth/lungs/braincage.

AE modular will be by far the most stuff for that money, but you have to deal with pin cables. You can get a whole system for that amount though so if your budgets fixed I’d definitely look into that! And they do make converter modules to interface with eurorack format

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

im_sorry posted:

I really need to get into tweaking Pigments. I love how it sounds, but I'm still mostly preset surfing, especially after the sale on all those presets when it went to Pigments 3. I generally make a sequence with simple beep boops, and then tweak the synthesizers until it sounds cool, and that usually involves picking a preset that works good enough and messing with it or not, but I'd like to dig more into how to make the better beep boops with Pigments.

When I try to make a music, it generally sounds something like this: https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/laughing-at-cryptocurrencies

Nice!

Pigments is really great. I've been mostly abusing samples with the granular bit lately, which scratches the granular itch enough that I don't drool over the Tasty Chips as much.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

then what you want is not a modular. a modular is the equivalent of showing up to a gig with a laptop

Or a desktop more like, amirite?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

petit choux posted:

Or a desktop more like, amirite?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The latest lie I tell myself is that if I buy used eurorack then it's actually an investment and will never lose resale value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

magiccarpet posted:

The latest lie I tell myself is that if I buy used eurorack then it's actually an investment and will never lose resale value.

If you bought it used at a discount you have already proven your theory incorrect