Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was trash. I only watched it because of my decade long crush on Josh Duhamel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You could try finding someone with talent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

You could try finding someone with talent.

How dare you speak of Tad Hamilton in such a manner.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

I think he's referring to the Millarworld acquisition, though reports at the time suggest it was in the $50m-100m range. but the point stands, even if it's a bit exaggerated

Nope.

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1400228543313825792

I absolutely did not see 200 million dollarydoos on the TV screen either, mind. Like for one thing Lady Liberty had a terrible wig. You'd think you could throw some scratch at that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

How dare you speak of Tad Hamilton in such a manner.

I didn't hate that Vegas show he did, but it's still a weird crush. He's like if Joel McHale wasn't funny.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Skwirl posted:

I didn't hate that Vegas show he did, but it's still a weird crush. He's like if Joel McHale wasn't funny.

Or if Timothy Olyphant wasn't weird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Or if Timothy Olyphant wasn't weird.

I'd say "if Timothy Olyphant wasn't interesting" but yeah.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

Nope.

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1400228543313825792

I absolutely did not see 200 million dollarydoos on the TV screen either, mind. Like for one thing Lady Liberty had a terrible wig. You'd think you could throw some scratch at that.

Wow. I guess it makes sense that there were significant reshoots; DeKnight was fired as showrunner in September 2019, with the show roughly halfway through production, so in theory there should still have been enough time to find a new showrunner and wrap production before COVID forced a shutdown, but the reshoots would explain why it didn't end up premiering until last month.

still, did not look even close to $200m

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I should also add that Netflix itself seems to have known that Jupiter's Legacy wasn't very good, given that reviews were embargoed until the premiere date. compare that to, say, Sweet Tooth

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This was a really good breakdown of why the series was bad and that season one is essentially the first issue stretched far beyond what it should have been.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1400231760575729668

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jupiters Legacy the comic was also just a boring retread of themes Millar does quite often in other, more interesting (not better, just more interesting) work so I'm not shocked an adaptation of it that seems to have taken all of it's weaknesses and none of it's very few strengths ended up being a bomb that no one likes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah the comics sucks a lot.

A LOT.

it sucks a lot for a Mark Millar comic book.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yeah the comics sucks a lot.

A LOT.

The one thing you can usually give to Millar, even at his edge lordiest, is that at least he's a fuckin' weirdo with crazy, often stupid, ideas, and his execution is usually at least competent and also weird quite often. I read both Jupiter series and other than being really boring I don't remember anything. Just... dull.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

The one thing you can usually give to Millar, even at his edge lordiest, is that at least he's a fuckin' weirdo with crazy, often stupid, ideas, and his execution is usually at least competent and also weird quite often. I read both Jupiter series and other than being really boring I don't remember anything. Just... dull.

Oddly I think I enjoyed it because it was trying to be a lot more normal than Millar's work around the same time. The bar was low.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I read nearly all the Millarworld books. They had pretty art but crap stories through and through. It's a miracle Kick-rear end and Secret Service were adapted into decent films.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Millarworld is a retirement fund for good artists and for that I cannot fault it but I'll be damned if I want to read any of it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

Millarworld is a retirement fund for good artists and for that I cannot fault it but I'll be damned if I want to read any of it

The fact he splits everything with his artists, even when it's very much "this is my idea for a book that I want you to draw" and not more collaborative type stuff like a lot of the Image stuff that's one writer one artist, is really loving admirable.

Rhyno posted:

drat Gina, tell us how you really feel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They should announce the next adaptation on Netflix is of The Unfunnies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

I'd say "if Timothy Olyphant wasn't interesting" but yeah.

Apparently Olyphant used a picture of Duhamel and Olyphant's family as a Christmas card a few years ago and half of his family didn't even realize.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

They should announce the next adaptation on Netflix is of The Unfunnies.

Sadly, it's only a matter of time

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like Y The Last Man is finally finally finally coming to FX is September.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Apparently Olyphant used a picture of Duhamel and Olyphant's family as a Christmas card a few years ago and half of his family didn't even realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGR0M9vDlcI

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

There's a series I'd be curious to see if it holds up, but probably not enough to watch it as a Prestige Drama.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I watched ten minutes of jupiters legacy and it looked on par if not worse than any CW show.

200million dollarinos...wwwow.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm hoping Sweet Tooth is better and more love was put into it than Jupiter's Legacy

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Madkal posted:

it's actually only on Hulu as part of the FX on Hulu branding. not going to air on the linear FX network

Madkal posted:

I'm hoping Sweet Tooth is better and more love was put into it than Jupiter's Legacy

I haven't started watching it yet but the reviews have largely been quite positive, at least

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Madkal posted:

All the reviews I've seen have been positive, though they note that the show is a lighter tone than the comic, which I understand is apparently pretty bleak.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

There's a series I'd be curious to see if it holds up, but probably not enough to watch it as a Prestige Drama.

Its had a pretty troubled production so it has the potential to be a huge mess.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Twitter is saying Emilia Clarke is playing Agent Brand in the Secret Invasion show. Don’t know whether to trust it though or if that casting would be good

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone with a blue checkmark posted she's playing a "spy, likely Agent Brand" and Twitter morphed it into a confirmation now.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Time to place our wagers folks, will she have green hair or just a green streak in her hair

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Klungar posted:

All the reviews I've seen have been positive, though they note that the show is a lighter tone than the comic, which I understand is apparently pretty bleak.

I liked the first episode, it was light but had a definite undercurrent of bleak despair. Kind of like the wave of coming off age indie movies from 5-6 years ago.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I liked the first episode, it was light but had a definite undercurrent of bleak despair. Kind of like the wave of coming off age indie movies from 5-6 years ago.

I watched it all over the weekend and it's "okay" I guess. I only read a few of the books but I'm a fan of the author of them, so I was expecting more horror/dark and less "Walking Dead but happier people".

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I never read the comic and switched it off about half way through the first episode. It just really didn't grab me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Time to place our wagers folks, will she have green hair or just a green streak in her hair

Better be full on green and never take her sunglasses off.

Do they think giving characters accurate hair colours is going to make them look less attractive?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't give an MCU character green hair because then it will be invisible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

:hmmyes:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Aphrodite posted:

Then how is it that Drax can turn invisible and Gamora can't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Am I missing a really obvious joke? The best I can come up with is that it's a reference to Go-Away Green...