Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pumped up for school posted:

Yeah, just gun shy... and maybe looking for an excuse to spend some money my boss threw at me to fix up my truck. But fire story: Retired coworker started a 14-acre fire in Colorado, but a competitor holds the crown at 400 (?) acres burned in Texas. I pay attention to where I park and always poke around underneath when I'm getting out in the scrub.

My of my driveable work is NV, CA, where it seems like you just have to give the ground a hard stare and then you make the news.

Your money would be better spent on a string trimmer to throw in the back to cut out a spot to park in if this is the kind of thing you're worried about. Maybe one of those nice new electric ones.

Seriously, a cat shield isn't going to stop this if your parking over high dry scrub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

STR posted:

I believe A Small Car lives in El Paso, though I haven't seen him post in awhile.

I'm still around...ish, work is just insane (anyone who has tried to get ahold of me in anything but a professional capacity, I sincerely apologize, I've basically checked nothing for close to two months now). Pakistani Politics, got your PM, will reply soon. Definitely don't buy a rental lol.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
A general post to all in this thread and those who have PMed me. If I didn't do it this way, I'd be typing individual replies all night on my phone:

Small car, thank you so much. Ive been looking all around and have seen many of those listings. Maybe half of those I've reached out to the seller. In retrospect, I should probably have just gotten one of them. And I appreciate the offer with your relative.

glyph, thank you too, big time. Great and practical advice. Stuff that came in handy on my recent test drive, like the alignment busoness. All good stuff, smart poo poo. You did a lot of work, too.

You all know where this is going. I put $ down for the 2010 gallant. Yeah I'm a big idiot and there's a significant chance i might soon be digging a big rectangular grave, but I went against everyone's recommendations. It's almost embarrassing to admit. It would be $3500 total. Shout out to you all who provided any kind of advice or trawled CL on my behalf only for me to throw away those suggestions like a dick.

The black eclipse was amazing but a salvage and not practical. It was a sexy rear end car and yeah i'm tall, but it was still hard to see out of.

But the gallant was a solid deal and what seems like a solid car. Apart from it being a rental, the Carfax was pretty clean from what we could tell and even tho it's the base trim (not the SE as they thought) it has most of what I hoped for. Ran great, surprisingly easy to maneuver, quiet on highways, pretty low mileage, cold AC, and few bloodstains. The graveyard of old Volvos in my wake would tell you it's time for something different.

The next step is for a mechanic to come out hopefully tomorrow. Then once all is said and done, pray a detailer can de-yuck the interior. Oh yeah and get a new key made, that isnt held together with electrical tape. I know I'm not the first nor the last idiot to do just this, but I still have high hopes. Thx all

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Pakistani politics posted:

A general post to all in this thread and those who have PMed me. If I didn't do it this way, I'd be typing individual replies all night on my phone:

Small car, thank you so much. Ive been looking all around and have seen many of those listings. Maybe half of those I've reached out to the seller. In retrospect, I should probably have just gotten one of them. And I appreciate the offer with your relative.

glyph, thank you too, big time. Great and practical advice. Stuff that came in handy on my recent test drive, like the alignment busoness. All good stuff, smart poo poo. You did a lot of work, too.

You all know where this is going. I put $ down for the 2010 gallant. Yeah I'm a big idiot and there's a significant chance i might soon be digging a big rectangular grave, but I went against everyone's recommendations. It's almost embarrassing to admit. It would be $3500 total. Shout out to you all who provided any kind of advice or trawled CL on my behalf only for me to throw away those suggestions like a dick.

The black eclipse was amazing but a salvage and not practical. It was a sexy rear end car and yeah i'm tall, but it was still hard to see out of.

But the gallant was a solid deal and what seems like a solid car. Apart from it being a rental, the Carfax was pretty clean from what we could tell and even tho it's the base trim (not the SE as they thought) it has most of what I hoped for. Ran great, surprisingly easy to maneuver, quiet on highways, pretty low mileage, cold AC, and few bloodstains. The graveyard of old Volvos in my wake would tell you it's time for something different.

The next step is for a mechanic to come out hopefully tomorrow. Then once all is said and done, pray a detailer can de-yuck the interior. Oh yeah and get a new key made, that isnt held together with electrical tape. I know I'm not the first nor the last idiot to do just this, but I still have high hopes. Thx all

Please post more about it and goonspeed I hope it works out brilliantly

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is it commonly the case that an OEM-owned dealer will have a better servicing department than a independent dealer? Or is it irrelevant / case by case?

Also do you know if I can get warranty repairs done at a differerent dealer to the one I bought it at?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Case by case...

Any car dealer should fix your vehicles warranty problem doesn't need to be the same one you bought it from.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

pumped up for school posted:

Yeah, just gun shy... and maybe looking for an excuse to spend some money my boss threw at me to fix up my truck. But fire story: Retired coworker started a 14-acre fire in Colorado, but a competitor holds the crown at 400 (?) acres burned in Texas. I pay attention to where I park and always poke around underneath when I'm getting out in the scrub.

My of my driveable work is NV, CA, where it seems like you just have to give the ground a hard stare and then you make the news.

The redneck fix for heat shields is to buy a bunch of big hose worm style hose clamps and strap them together around the heat shield.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pakistani politics posted:

I put $ down for the 2010 gallant.

Your post made me think happy thoughts of my old 99 Galant GTZ that was a really great car and served me well for many years on several cross country trips. Sending good Galant vibes your way.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I replaced the steering gear and power steering pump on my 73 Cutlass Supreme. The pump and gear manufacturer's instructions for bleeding the system state to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock with the engine running with the wheels off the ground to get air out of the system.

Is this necessary? Everything I've been told says not to run the engine while the car is up on a jack or jack stands.

I'm considering just jacking the car under the engine cross member as that seems to be the most even point for getting the front wheels off the ground.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PeterCat posted:

I replaced the steering gear and power steering pump on my 73 Cutlass Supreme. The pump and gear manufacturer's instructions for bleeding the system state to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock with the engine running with the wheels off the ground to get air out of the system.

Is this necessary? Everything I've been told says not to run the engine while the car is up on a jack or jack stands.

I'm considering just jacking the car under the engine cross member as that seems to be the most even point for getting the front wheels off the ground.

Do it just to make it easier on yourself. you don't want to strong arm the steering back and forth 30 times with all the weight on them. You don't have to get the front end high enough to work under it, and you're not getting under it, so it's not a big deal.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sure, you can run a car on jack stands. Not adviseable to crawl around under there while that's going on, but there is no issue with doing it.

I've done it many times. I've crawled under running cars; I've crawled under running cars in gear on four jackstands to locate a rotating-assembly problem that couldn't be pin-pointed any other way. I've lived to tell, but that doesn't mean it's smart :/

But: there's no reason that you can't hoist the front wheels clear, start it, and bleed out your power steering. Just watch for foaming. If it groans for more than a few seconds, check the reservoir & see if the fluid's gone frothy. If so, shut the car off & let it sit until it dissipates.

If you're still wary: get a 6' length of 3/8" ID hose and connect it in place of the return hose on your power steering box & run it into a 2-liter bottle;. Stick a funnel in the PS reservoir fill for constant feeding of fluid; start the car, and flush out the reservoir & box that way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Having the front wheels up also keeps you from flat spotting the tires as you turn them back and forth.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I was going to get a 6 ton jack anyway, so this is a good excuse.

Also have to fix a sway bar mounting bolt that stripped out on me when I was reinstalling it

I swear this old car is a collection of dirt, grease, and rust holding it all together.

The hydraulic hose shop used the hard lines from my old pressure hose to make a new hose with fittings that allow me to just replace the rubber next time around.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 4, 2021

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What was the last car to be sold in the U.S. with a rolling-barrel odometer?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wondering if any of you have tried using one of those cheap harbor freight tire bead breakers to mount your own tires? Is it easy to damage the rim? I could buy one of these and change winters out for 10x less the cost of a second wheel set with tpms sensors

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

Wondering if any of you have tried using one of those cheap harbor freight tire bead breakers to mount your own tires? Is it easy to damage the rim? I could buy one of these and change winters out for 10x less the cost of a second wheel set with tpms sensors

Let's say all of that works perfectly. Now how are you going to balance them?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Motronic posted:

Let's say all of that works perfectly. Now how are you going to balance them?

The shoddy tire balancer they sell of course

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

There's always the kastein method of dumping a bunch of children's craft beads in your tires and letting them balance themselves (until they ablate your TPMS sensors, that is).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

There's always the kastein method of dumping a bunch of children's craft beads in your tires and letting them balance themselves (until they ablate your TPMS sensors, that is).

That stuff works great (and there are commercial equivalents) for larger tires. I've never tried it in something that would be on a normal sized car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some motorcyclists swear by dyna beads, but others swear they're garbage.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks for all the help with my questions, folks, new van is now on back order for delivery later this year (thanks global electronics shortages).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mechanic here charges $105 to mount and balance and last time I think they actually bent one. I have a big official $4000 tire mounting machine with balancer at work actually (been unused for like 5 years) but sneaking my own tires in is undesirable.

Anyways I’m not using beads. I’ll probably just fold and buy the stupid expensive tpms sensors and steelies or something

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 4, 2021

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Probably not the last but my ‘94 SVX has one which means the ‘97 does too. I’d guess some American truck that hadn’t changed much since the ‘80s but I could be wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

I’ll probably just fold and buy the stupid expensive tpms sensors and steelies or something

That's probably the best option. FYI, I have generic ones for my daughter's summer wheels (used the stock steelies for snow tires) and I've just swapped them back on for the second time with absolutely zero issues. No reprogramming or anything.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ethanol posted:

Mechanic here charges $105 to mount and balance and last time I think they actually bent one. I have a big official $4000 tire mounting machine with balancer at work actually (been unused for like 5 years) but sneaking my own tires in is undesirable.

Anyways I’m not using beads. I’ll probably just fold and buy the stupid expensive tpms sensors and steelies or something

I haven't tried a car, but I've done motorcycle tires on the cheap HF type thing and it's a huge pain in the rear end. I'm sure there's a skill to it you can develop, but if you're doing it like once or twice a year max it's a loving ordeal.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Motronic posted:

That's probably the best option. FYI, I have generic ones for my daughter's summer wheels (used the stock steelies for snow tires) and I've just swapped them back on for the second time with absolutely zero issues. No reprogramming or anything.

I think on newer tacomas you have to have a tool

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

I think on newer tacomas you have to have a tool

You needed a tool to program all of these (on a Subaru, but the tools are fairly generic too) but it seems most marques by now will handle having a couple sets of wheels associated. Unless you're saying Tacos only do one set at a time and you have to program every time you swap wheels.

If that's the case I'd go back to doing it the old school way: pull out all the TPMSes, put them in a pice ov PVC pipe with a valve stem on it, pressurize the PVC tube as appropriate and throw it under the back seat.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yes, the tacoma only lets you use 4 sensors, so they have to be relearned every swap, apparently. i'd rather clone them than disable the system, there's a tire shop here I heard that will do that for free. Then both sets work forever

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 4, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ethanol posted:

Yes, the tacoma only lets you use 4 sensors, so they have to be relearned every swap, apparently. i'd rather clone them than disable the system, there's a tire shop here I heard that will do that for free. Then both sets work forever

Or until they die.

I just bought the tool to program them. $15 in my case.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Or until they die.

I just bought the tool to program them. $15 in my case.

which tool is $15?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ethanol posted:

which tool is $15?

If there's one that works on 433mhz sensors I would like this haha

Edit: most of those are GM relearn tools

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Am I the only one that doesn't give a gently caress and lives with that light on my dash board being on for 4-5 months a year?
The 400 bucks (at the time) that I would have spent on a second set of sensors got spent on something worthwhile like booze and smokes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I had to explain to my wife what that light was. She thought that it was a harp.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ethanol posted:

which tool is $15?

The no name one I got for my GMC Sierra.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't give a gently caress and lives with that light on my dash board being on for 4-5 months a year?
The 400 bucks (at the time) that I would have spent on a second set of sensors got spent on something worthwhile like booze and smokes.

GM gives me a notification I have to clear every time and that annoys me.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

2018 Mk7 Fiesta ST

I'm feeling a little bit of grinding in the shifter when I downshift to 2nd. I can hear some very faint grinding too, but only with the windows open and a wall nearby to reflect the sound.

Googling tells me that the 2nd gear synchro is going bad. Is this cause for serious concern? Should I stop downshifting into 2nd?

This is my first time owning a car with an unexpired warranty. Does anyone have experience with Ford Powertrain warranty and whether something like this will be covered? I'm still in the Carmax 30-day period with this car. Is this enough of a red flag that I should consider returning it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'd be inclined to return it because I would be very suspicious that the car had been abused in myriad ways. This isn't a 70s Alfa transaxle, syncros on modern gearboxes very rarely go bad and basically never go bad in ordinary use.

But if you wanna keep it, your local Ford store should honor the warranty. However, your claim could be denied due to contamination/use of improper fluids, or abuse, which the PO very well could have done. Hence, I'm inclined to return.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Motronic posted:

If that's the case I'd go back to doing it the old school way: pull out all the TPMSes, put them in a pice ov PVC pipe with a valve stem on it, pressurize the PVC tube as appropriate and throw it under the back seat.

... thank you very much! *smacks forehead*

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm not sure what the last was, but 2000 Honda Civics and 2001 Acura Integras had them.

Late Fees posted:

2018 Mk7 Fiesta ST

I'm feeling a little bit of grinding in the shifter when I downshift to 2nd. I can hear some very faint grinding too, but only with the windows open and a wall nearby to reflect the sound.

Googling tells me that the 2nd gear synchro is going bad. Is this cause for serious concern? Should I stop downshifting into 2nd?

This is my first time owning a car with an unexpired warranty. Does anyone have experience with Ford Powertrain warranty and whether something like this will be covered? I'm still in the Carmax 30-day period with this car. Is this enough of a red flag that I should consider returning it?

Absolutely return it. That thing has been beat on bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So two questions regarding tires, double checking i'm not a dumbass

Currently have a 2015 VW Golf, with the nicer stock 225/40R18's. Currently still on winter tires. Rather than put nice new tires on the original wheels i'm going to get a whole set of aluminum wheels so I can swap easily between winter and summer. Probably going to go with Bridgestone Turanza's or Potenza's for the tires since i've had good experiences with both. All the nicer wheels I see for sale are 8" with 45mm offset rather than the stock 7.5" with 51mm offset.

So:

1) If I go from 7.5" wheels with 51mm offset to 8" wheels with 45mm offset, that puts the backspacing at 146mm in both cases, so the wheel will just extend out that 1/2", right? And if I go from 7.5" to 8" going from 225 to 235 tire width to match would also be good? Or better to stick to the 225's?

2) For TPMS from what i've found the Mk7 uses the ABS wheel speed rather than those little battery powered radio sensors in the valve stem, so I just reset it with no other changes?