Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there a cheap way of connecting a chunky internal 5.25" blu ray drive via usb? I'm looking to upgrade soon, but a lot of new cases don't have front expansion bays, I don't need it most of the time anyway, and all of the enclosures I've found seem ridiculously expensive. My old case is very compact but I want to go with regular ATX, so I won't be reusing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there a cheap way of connecting a chunky internal 5.25" blu ray drive via usb? I'm looking to upgrade soon, but a lot of new cases don't have front expansion bays, I don't need it most of the time anyway, and all of the enclosures I've found seem ridiculously expensive. My old case is very compact but I want to go with regular ATX, so I won't be reusing it.

Depending on how often you want to use it, you could just get a USB-SATA converter (https://www.microcenter.com/product/463322/vantec-ide-sata-to-usb-30-hard-drive-adapter) without an enclosure and flop it on top of the table for the occasions when you need it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kalman posted:

Depending on how often you want to use it, you could just get a USB-SATA converter (https://www.microcenter.com/product/463322/vantec-ide-sata-to-usb-30-hard-drive-adapter) without an enclosure and flop it on top of the table for the occasions when you need it.

This, or just keep a spare sata data/power hooked up inside the case and pop the side panel whenever you need it. That’s what I do.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Copper Vein posted:

What is the cheapest way to get a Win10 license? I've seen Pro OEM keys as low as $7 out there on websites that seem a bit shady.

1) register a legitimate nonprofit
2) apply to msvlsc for winders keys thru Tech Soup
3) get 9999999999 free keys from based rear end ms

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kalman posted:

That seems like a good solution, thanks.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Copper Vein posted:

The PSU was way overbuilt when I got it, it's a 1000w Seasonic SS-1000XP. I did look into if the new mobo uses a different power connecter than my old mobo, and they look the same, except the new B550 mobo uses an extra 4pin connection that I'm pretty sure my PSU has.

The extra 4 pin is just a second CPU power plug that you may or may not need to plug in (you probably won't need to with a 5600x). But it doesn't hurt to plug it in regardless. Check the manual of course. But I'm pretty sure my B550-E said the extra 4 pin wasn't required for most situations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I noticed that my Corsair 850RMx PSU plug to the CPU didn't have the same pinout as the motherboard's CPU pinout. The motherboard CPU pinout looks like this:

D口口D
口DD口

It's actually an 8+4 so it has the optional

口 D
D 口

However, I'm looking at the plug that came from the 850 and it looks like

D 口 D D
口 D D D

Is this normal? It fits in the motherboard's CPU slot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chill la Chill posted:

I noticed that my Corsair 850RMx PSU plug to the CPU didn't have the same pinout as the motherboard's CPU pinout. The motherboard CPU pinout looks like this:

D口口D
口DD口

It's actually an 8+4 so it has the optional

口 D
D 口

However, I'm looking at the plug that came from the 850 and it looks like

D 口 D D
口 D D D

Is this normal? It fits in the motherboard's CPU slot.

Yeah, that's normal. Their main goal is to prevent someone from plugging the wrong one into the wrong plug (usually PCI-E is the most commonly mistaken one). The D shape on the plug will fit either kind on the socket, while the square on the plug only fits a square, so the PCI-E gets blocked since it has squares on some of the holes. On the EPS/CPU 12V I recall that it's that the top two (or four for the 8 pin) are 12v and the bottom are ground. The PCI-E has sense pins on a couple of them so it's not compatible. I know that wasn't your question, just explaining the difference. It's possible that they add some more of the mismatching ones to block folks from plugging the wrong end of modular cables into it as well, but I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, that's normal. Their main goal is to prevent someone from plugging the wrong one into the wrong plug (usually PCI-E is the most commonly mistaken one). The D shape on the plug will fit either kind on the socket, while the square on the plug only fits a square, so the PCI-E gets blocked since it has squares on some of the holes. On the EPS/CPU 12V I recall that it's that the top two (or four for the 8 pin) are 12v and the bottom are ground. The PCI-E has sense pins on a couple of them so it's not compatible. I know that wasn't your question, just explaining the difference. It's possible that they add some more of the mismatching ones to block folks from plugging the wrong end of modular cables into it as well, but I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning.

Thanks a lot, that clears it up! I was researching this for a couple hours and couldn't find anything since most of the questions seem to do with plugging in only 4 from the 4+4. Your explanation actually explains that part as well as why I saw so many PCI-E vs. CPU/EPS threads. Just sadly none of them explained that the D is supposed to fit in either kind and it's the squares that are really the "keys" to the correct slots.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I get my win10 pro keys on taobao for like 2 to 3 bucks, but that's probably the sketchiest of sketchiest ways to do it and good luck if you can't read Chinese.

Haven't been burned yet though.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm looking at replacing the old HDD on my PC with an SSD, but I'm slightly confused about UEFI versus traditional BIOS.

According to the Windows "system" tab, my PC is currently set up using traditional BIOS (I think my motherboard supports either one), but further exploring in the disk management window shows that the primary drive (the one getting replaced) is using a partition style consistent with the old BIOS, whereas the second drive (a 4TB HDD) is using partitions consistent with UEFI.

My understanding is that BIOS can't handle a drive larger than 2TB, so since the new SSD is 2TB, can I just leave everything configured how it is, or should I move the system to UEFI?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

What is the cheapest way to get a Win10 license? I've seen Pro OEM keys as low as $7 out there on websites that seem a bit shady.

Cheapest idk but cheap and safe is brownthunders thread in sa mart. I’ve gotten a half dozen from him at 20 a pop and he always delivers.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345&perpage=40&noseen=1#post457418355

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

azflyboy posted:

My understanding is that BIOS can't handle a drive larger than 2TB, so since the new SSD is 2TB, can I just leave everything configured how it is, or should I move the system to UEFI?

I think you can leave it, unless if the new SSD is a M.2 NVMe model which would require UEFI, I believe. But if you Windows install is old enough to still live on HDD, maybe you could consider starting from scratch.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Saukkis posted:

I think you can leave it, unless if the new SSD is a M.2 NVMe model which would require UEFI, I believe. But if you Windows install is old enough to still live on HDD, maybe you could consider starting from scratch.

Thanks. Apparently there's a pretty easy tool built into Windows 10 that'll convert the drive to UEFI, so I'll probably just use that to swap it over.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

azflyboy posted:

Thanks. Apparently there's a pretty easy tool built into Windows 10 that'll convert the drive to UEFI, so I'll probably just use that to swap it over.

I did this when I switched my boot from a SATA SSD to a M.2 NVMe, haven't had any issues. Though I've been tempted to do a fresh install after reading all the suggestions for it. :shrug:

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I've done the transfer but I wouldn't recommend it for computers that you want 100% performance out of, it definitely can carry over or create issues with your windows install. Clean is always best with windows because it's so easily corrupted. If you don't have any issues at all then I'd consider you pretty lucky, I've done 1000s of migrations and fresh installs, though windows 10 is much more stable than say, 7 or 8.1.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there any reason to get M.2 SSDs with heatsinks other than the fact that they look :krad:? I'm reading up on them and some suggest there's an appreciable difference and others say there's a negligible difference. It's about a $25 difference between a WD black 750 with and without the heatsink so if it's negligible I could just use that money for some LED strips.

Also, while I trust my handiwork in building this PC, is there a problem with heavy air coolers starting to sag/warp the mobo over time? I got an NH-D15 so it's rather large and I didn't want to deal with the potential failure of a liquid CPU cooler. If there is, any sort of device I could use to help support the air cooler? I do like that GPU support brackets and stands exist now since those things look rather heavy.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there any reason to get M.2 SSDs with heatsinks other than the fact that they look :krad:? I'm reading up on them and some suggest there's an appreciable difference and others say there's a negligible difference. It's about a $25 difference between a WD black 750 with and without the heatsink so if it's negligible I could just use that money for some LED strips.

Also, while I trust my handiwork in building this PC, is there a problem with heavy air coolers starting to sag/warp the mobo over time? I got an NH-D15 so it's rather large and I didn't want to deal with the potential failure of a liquid CPU cooler. If there is, any sort of device I could use to help support the air cooler? I do like that GPU support brackets and stands exist now since those things look rather heavy.

i think it's needed for super high rate transfers but uh, are you going to be moving gigantic files around like, a lot? because otherwise an SN550 will have almost exactly the same performance in game loading, that's usually CPU bound.

your GPU is only mounted by the (terrible) PCI slot and the one or two screws at the back of the case and honestly those are more to prevent it from moving around in transport, the GPU problem is that it wasn't really designed for how fuckin gigantic they've gotten. your cooler should have about as perfect a square distribution of weight as possible for pressure. should be fine.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Chill la Chill posted:

Like the other poster said you can probably save a little bit of money getting the SN550. I have two of them - the 1TB I bought first and installed in the main front slot on my motherboard, and a 2TB one on the back that I bought a few months later when I realised how huge games are these days and how I didn't want to be constantly uninstalling and reinstalling. The one on the front of the motherboard is supposedly cooled by the motherboard's heatsink, and for the one on the back I bought a low clearance cooler for like €8 on Amazon that looks like this:

From HWinfo the one on the back runs at least 5 or 6 degrees cooler than the one on the front. They're both plenty cool enough under load.

Edit: As other posters have said, usually at least one slot on your board will have an included heatsink so just use that. If you're using the second slot, I'd say it's worth getting a cheaper but still excellently performing NVMe like the SN550 then buying a cheap heatsink rather than buying one of the invariably more expensive options which come with included heatsinks.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 3, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Most decent motherboards now will have built in heatsinks for SSDs, so I think not only is buying one with its own heatsink kinda pointless it might even be more work to actually get it installed since you'd have to take the heatsink off.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chill la Chill posted:

I had some conception of the need for the heatsync but just now read something that made me go wtf

I got the WD Black with heatsync myself just because I figured why not give it cooling, and I figured the fit of a factor heatsync might be better than the one that came with my mobo. That said I'm not doing any kind of sustained tasks on my machine so probably never get close to thermal throttling or whatever.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah flash wants to be hot. In theory the controller doesn't, in practice you're not going do things what make it throttle.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If it does throttle you are probably better off with a fan and more airflow. Those chips are designed to conduct heat into the pcb and don't really cool well from the top.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I run with no heatsink on my EVO (760 I think?) and it’s never been a problem. Not only is it no heatsink, but also directly under my 3080 with fairly restricted airflow (although I have pretty aggressive cooling). I have software that monitors temps of my disks compared to manufacturer limits, and it’s never triggered on it.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

CoolCab posted:

your GPU is only mounted by the (terrible) PCI slot and the one or two screws at the back of the case and honestly those are more to prevent it from moving around in transport, the GPU problem is that it wasn't really designed for how fuckin gigantic they've gotten. your cooler should have about as perfect a square distribution of weight as possible for pressure. should be fine.

If my GPU has its fans on the bottom, what's the best way to support with a bracket? The edge is angled so I dunno if a simple bracket will work

Crappy image for context

Dunno that a cheap option like this would work well enough....
https://www.amazon.com/YATENG-Graphics-Anodized-Aerospace-Aluminum/dp/B07S7ZBB51

Alucard fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 3, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Don’t stick it under the corner then, use the flatter part in the middle. It’ll still help.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
After years of exclusively using Noctua air coolers, I made the switch to an AIO. Still getting used to the pump sound, but it's a nice change of pace to the chonky air coolers I've grown used to. I repurposed my former Noctua 140mm intake fans and put them up top as exhaust.

mA fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 4, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mA posted:

After years of exclusively using Noctua air coolers, I made the switch to an AIO. Still getting used to the pump sound, but it's a nice change of pace to the chonky air coolers I've grown used to. I repurposed my former Noctua 140mm intake fans and put them up top as exhaust.

that cpu cooler looks really cool, it's like HAL.

oh what's up with that little fan looking thing on the cooler plate?

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 4, 2021

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I think that's an impeller.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

LifeSunDeath posted:

It’s a Caterpillar Drive.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mA posted:

Not to make you feel like you need to redo this, but does the rad fit top mount?

Think of it this way. In the current setup, your rad is taking all the hot air from the CPU and dumping it back into the case. Directly onto the GPU.

You get a much better result by going top mount exhaust with a rad, and front panel intake with those noctua fans.

If that's not an option, I'd probably consider making those top fans intakes and the front mount rad exhaust .

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

DerekSmartymans posted:

It’s a Caterpillar Drive.

finally, truly silent operation

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

taqueso posted:

finally, truly silent operation

Hell they hit the mast with a torpedo and it loving broke in half! Soviet military always made material uneducated farmer-proof. If they had the budget of the US Armed Forces (to build a Caterpillar Drive, for example) back then European folks wouldn’t have had to worry about the future of the EU, that’s for sure

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Not to make you feel like you need to redo this, but does the rad fit top mount?

Think of it this way. In the current setup, your rad is taking all the hot air from the CPU and dumping it back into the case. Directly onto the GPU.

You get a much better result by going top mount exhaust with a rad, and front panel intake with those noctua fans.

If that's not an option, I'd probably consider making those top fans intakes and the front mount rad exhaust .

Yeah, unfortunately my case can only fit a 240mm rad up top and the model I got was the 280, so I had to go front mounted.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i would love to do a water cooler................. but... the ph43r

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

LifeSunDeath posted:

that cpu cooler looks really cool, it's like HAL.

It's a VRM fan. Arctic is the only AIO manufacturer I know of that puts one on the CPU block like that. Probably not gonna make much/any kind of practical performance difference if you're not stressing your motherboard's power delivery components, but there's certainly no harm in keeping that stuff a bit cooler and I can see it being a nice bit of peace of mind in mATX/ITX builds where you're more likely to be dealing with limited airflow and/or less beefy power delivery than on a full-size motherboard.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

It's a VRM fan. Arctic is the only AIO manufacturer I know of that puts one on the CPU block like that. Probably not gonna make much/any kind of practical performance difference if you're not stressing your motherboard's power delivery components, but there's certainly no harm in keeping that stuff a bit cooler and I can see it being a nice bit of peace of mind in mATX/ITX builds where you're more likely to be dealing with limited airflow and/or less beefy power delivery than on a full-size motherboard.

oic, interesting. looking up homebrew solutions for cooling that area:

guess that's the area that stays hot on my mobo too, dunno:

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 4, 2021

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
The Asus Ryujin AIOs also have a fan on the water block to cool the components around it. In my opinion it looks better, but is also stupidly overpriced.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Why have an AIO when you could have a custom peltier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Why have an AIO when you could have a custom peltier?

here's an explanation about what would be required to use AC units to cool a computer. In a diff but related video he makes a fridge out of Peltier devices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVfaxqTyl4

while it can be done, it requires a system that's not simple at all to make it useful.