Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

nomad2020 posted:

I understand I'm not quite in the right place, but.

The transmitter I'm looking to buy/build will be used to run a ground vehicle, likely a truck or something similar that can take a tumble down some stairs knowing the person I'm sending it to. Something that can be operated solo as well, I won't be there to piggy back off of. Some good ideas I might be able to turn into a ground station which would honestly be pretty cool if I could stick it in a pelican case w/ the truck.

Are you building the truck? Some of the cheap rc trucks might already be 4 button controlled, so it would just be a matter of modifying the controller or cramming the innards into an Atari stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I've only recently started looking at options, so I am not yet married to anything specific. Honestly hoping to find an off the shelf 2.4ghz joystick transmitter or similar then finding a truck to buy build or refurb. I'll probably need to tune down the truck as well, but that's no real issue.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NPR Journalizard posted:

I just got access to a mavic air and want to learn how to fly it properly. Are there any good youtube tutorials I should go through first? Will mainly be for taking videos and photos.

As mentioned they are very easy to fly. There is one weird tip that big drone doesn’t want you to know: use the live view in the camera to get up above the surrounding trees and obstacles, and you can literally fly anywhere without worrying, as long as you don’t descend.

It’s a great way to learn to fly it without the risks associated with low altitude learning.

Offer not valid if you live at the foot of a mountain or next to a skyscraper

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cheers for the reassurance. I live in Australia tho, and we have a bunch of restrictions on where and how we can fly drones. Can't do FPV outside, have to have line of sight to the drone at all times, can't fly above people or above 120m

I live in an apartment so would have to wander down to a local park and hope no-one is around

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the batteries for my transmitter finally came in so ive been messing around in velocidrone and have two questions. first, is horizon mode a thing i can use on the quad im building? of the three modes i had the best results with it but have only heard of quads flying in angle and rate. secondly, should i even bother practicing in angle/horizon? it seems the skills/muscle memory learned in angle/horizon mode dont easily transfer to rate as i had to constantly think about releveling the drone.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yes you can do it on a real quad, no you shouldn’t (IMO) bother. You get used to angle relatively quickly* and it is by far the best way to fly and gives you a lot more freedom.

*my first 10 or so hours on the sim were bad. Bad enough that I figured I must be doing something wrong. But I wasn’t and it just takes time. If you’re like me and used to most things coming naturally it is really frustrating. But keep pushing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

Cheers for the reassurance. I live in Australia tho, and we have a bunch of restrictions on where and how we can fly drones. Can't do FPV outside, have to have line of sight to the drone at all times, can't fly above people or above 120m

I live in an apartment so would have to wander down to a local park and hope no-one is around

These are also US restrictions. Mostly because 1. Manned aircraft generally fly above 120m. And 2 if your drone fucks up and crashes to the ground it'll hurt someone.

Find a nice big park and go to the unused baseball diamond or soccer fields or whatever you people on Brit criminal island have for sports.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Kuvo posted:

the batteries for my transmitter finally came in so ive been messing around in velocidrone and have two questions. first, is horizon mode a thing i can use on the quad im building? of the three modes i had the best results with it but have only heard of quads flying in angle and rate. secondly, should i even bother practicing in angle/horizon? it seems the skills/muscle memory learned in angle/horizon mode dont easily transfer to rate as i had to constantly think about releveling the drone.

Assuming you're building a quad with betaflight, there is support for horizon mode. However, horizon mode is just angle mode but without the hard limit on how far you can tilt the quad in any direction. Thus horizon will allow you to roll/flip. Personally, I find it awkward to use since it tries to be a compromise between angle/rate but doesn't really pull it off well.

I'd suggest just starting out learning in angle mode to get an understanding of basic controls, but move to rate as soon as possible. You shouldn't really be worrying about releveling the drone and instead just get used to always moving forward. Assuming you're flying FPV, this is why the cameras are mounted at an angle. The angle is adjusted such that when you pitch forward, your camera will then be level with the ground. You can always adjust this camera angle to be lower or higher depending on how fast you want the quad to be moving forward. Starting with a lower angle will move more slowly and is more suitable for beginners. No experience with Velocidrone but Liftoff has a setting for camera angle.

But yeah, learn rate. The simulators are like a hyperbolic time chamber and you'll learn 10x faster when you can crash with impunity and not have to go pick up your quad off the field/repair it when you crash.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tater_salad posted:

These are also US restrictions. Mostly because 1. Manned aircraft generally fly above 120m. And 2 if your drone fucks up and crashes to the ground it'll hurt someone.

Find a nice big park and go to the unused baseball diamond or soccer fields or whatever you people on Brit criminal island have for sports.

That is one good thing, we accommodate cricket and AFL and those sports have bigger fields than most other sports.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
At least your fields are open. Pretty much everything is locked and restricted to paid reservation and only for the designated sport here in Japan.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQx96G4yHd8

:eyepop:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Random thought for USA/FAA regulations while we're on the FPV topic. How does VLOS work for FPV drones, it's my understanding that drones should be in VLOS and you should only take your eyes off of them for short periods of time. Is there a requirement for a secondary observer while you're in goggles, or due to their size they're exempt.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

You have to have an observer to be legal, people like me flying in their backyards are busting FAA regs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At first I grossly misread that and went “how on earth did I miss that there is a volcano in Cleveland?”

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

At first I grossly misread that and went “how on earth did I miss that there is a volcano in Cleveland?”

Now you know the terrible secret of the river fire.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

well as far as i can tell, im done with the build. before i go crash it send it off on its maiden flight, was wondering about a few thing

- after arming, are the props suppose to slowly rotate even with the throttle is at zero?
- i configured the OSD to show stuff like the battery voltage, flight mode, etc per the instructions here but still dont see them in the headset when testing. is that something that only shows up after arming?
- is the "battery usage" OSD element good enough to rely on or should i memorize a value for the battery average cell voltage to cut my flight time off at?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The slow rotation is a safety feature so that you know it's armed.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Also, uh, what is it called... air mode?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Oh wow I forgot about this thread. I caught the PFV bug about a year ago and have been absolutely obsessed since. I finally pulled the trigger and moved to DJI and holy crap it's like flying a GoPro. I feel so much more confident flying around trees and stuff because you can actually see them and range is just terrific. Sadly most of my sub 3" quads are too small for even the vista's. Now I just need to find an analog adapter so I don't have to lug around 2 sets of goggles.

Kuvo posted:

well as far as i can tell, im done with the build. before i go crash it send it off on its maiden flight, was wondering about a few thing

- after arming, are the props suppose to slowly rotate even with the throttle is at zero?
- i configured the OSD to show stuff like the battery voltage, flight mode, etc per the instructions here but still dont see them in the headset when testing. is that something that only shows up after arming?
- is the "battery usage" OSD element good enough to rely on or should i memorize a value for the battery average cell voltage to cut my flight time off at?

- there's an option in betaflight 'motor stop' in the motors tab that can spin or not spin the motors on idle. I highly recommend leaving it on so you know it's armed. Also IMO it makes throttling up and taking off more predictable if they're already spinning.
- the OSD doesn't come up until it's armed for me on DJI. analog it comes up right away but there's usually a delay on DJI
- The battery usage has to be calibrated and is often wrong. Just land when you're getting close to 3.5v or 3.6v average volts. Also the Timer OSD with 'total time armed' is usually a good one to have to give you a sense of how long you've been up in the air, most of the others are just distracting.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Also, uh, what is it called... air mode?

When the drone is flying around, the amount of yaw/pitch/roll you could command was 0-100% of the throttle position. Low throttle = low command, so to do tricks you had to blast throttle while wiggling the other sticks around.

Airmode removes that restriction, and allows flight commands to be independent of throttle.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ewiley posted:

- the OSD doesn't come up until it's armed for me on DJI. analog it comes up right away but there's usually a delay on DJI

i tested it out by arming it but still no OSD. additionally, the goggles stay in 'low power mode' after arming. im guessing i didnt wire up the FC to the vista right?

edit: resoldered the wires and tested with a multimeter and they look ok. maybe i missed something in betaflight?

edit2: figured it out, needed to enable configuration/msp for UART4. this instruction is after he tells me (in the middle of one of his videos) to go watch a different video for the X9 setup so i missed it during my walkthough lol

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 12, 2021

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaRG490XPmc

i assume there's settings someplace in beta flight where i can adjust the maximum angles i can pitch/roll?

also i need to buy more batteries

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Many recommend learning in acro/rate mode. By all means, get comfortable with the throttle and general feel for which stick action does what or enjoy a lower stress cruise with your new machine, but don't be afraid to take the plunge.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
when shopping for batteries do i just need to match the voltage/number of cells? i assume higher mAh is longer flight time despite the increase in weight.

fwiw im currently using this and was looking at getting something like this

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
In addition to cell count, mAh/weight, and connector type, you should also consider the C rating.

If you are flying aggressively, higher C rating will help with your overall performance. When you punch the throttle, the voltage will temporarily dip and then recover (say you are at 4.0v per cell and gun it, you may see the telemetry report 3.6v, then when you ease off/cut the throttle the battery may creep back up to 3.9v). This can be referred to as "sag". Battery companies often lie about the C rating, so beware. If you are just cruising, then a lower C rating should be fine.

Don't worry too much about spec sheet charge rate, you should probably have enough batteries to last however long you usually want to fly. If you are going to fly a lot, you will probably look into parallel charging. Batteries tend to last longer if they are charged slower. Say a battery lasts 5 minutes and it takes ~30 minutes charge, then with 12 batteries you can have 6 available, 6 charging...which enables you to effectively fly into a tree and never use most of your packs.

The weight from more mAh has diminishing returns on flight time. And depending on actual C rating and how you fly, a smaller battery could even provide a better or even longer flight.

Some sites, like Oscar Liang, do testing of batteries. While nothing can ensure your purchased lot will perform the same, it can help guide your purchase. Two different manufacturers could have the same spec sheet, but i still might be inclined to purchase the worse performing battery if the price was right.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I have a Phantom 3 that had been collecting dust since my son was born. He is now 3 and I just recently flew it a few times around a vacation house and it performed as well as I expected.

However it's way too restricted to play with it here in NY. I have been looking at micro FPV youtube videos. Is this the thread to ask dumb FPV questions?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 16, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
You found the right place.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have watched too much youtube FPV videos I am going to have a headache. So I will just ask the newbie questions, how hard is it to start the hobby with a good radio?

I am thinking about skipping the cheap stuff and get a Tango 2. Can I assume all drone with "crossfire/nano" option on banggood/getfpv/whatever will ship with the antenna installed already? Do I have to worry about soldering, and/or connecting the drone to a windows machine and tinkering with some settings?

I used to root and flash custom ROMs on phones but I don't enjoy that part of of hobby tinkering anymore.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Crossfire is a little less common (at least on the BNF quads i have clicked on). If you need the very long range, by all means. Otherwise, you'd likely have broader compatibility with a multiprotocol transmitter, like the Radiomaster TX16S w/ hall effect gimbals. You can get an add-on module for it that also does Crossfire.

note: i have not personally used said add-on module; third party ones appear to be available for ~$30. i haven't had problems with the third party multiprotocol modules (like the one present in the TX16S), and wouldn't hesitate to give the crossfire one a try at that price. there are probably reviews by several of the known fpv youtubers

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tango2/Crossfire is very popular with the more 'serious' community. TBS makes very good products although sometimes a bit quirky.
However, a Radiomaster TX16S is probably a better starting point.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I know everyone recommend the tx16, I can't get over how huge it is. I know I can get the smaller tx12, but I just don't like the boxy looking controller. Look is very important to me, in fact I am not considering any quad thats all black or all white because I think they are too ugly.

I was going to get the other gamepad shaped controller jumper t lite. But then I started watching videos of adding a crossfire module to the back, and chattering of how it's crossfire is a lower powered module. I mean if the tango 2 is not too hard to learn I rather go straight to a radio I can use for the next few years.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 19, 2021

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I know everyone recommend the tx16, I can't get over how huge it is. I know I can get the smaller tx12, but I just don't like the boxy looking controller. Look is very important to me, in fact I am not considering any quad thats all black or all white because I think they are too ugly.

I was going to get the other gamepad shaped controller jumper t lite. But then I started watching videos of adding a crossfire module to the back, and chattering of how it's crossfire is a lower powered module. I mean if the tango 2 is not too hard to learn I rather go straight to a radio I can use for the next few years.

The tradeoff will be buying crossfire receivers to solder into every quad you buy, since most bind and fly quads won't have that as an option.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Nothing wrong with going for the Tango as your first radio if you like the game pad style/size. It’s a great way to do Crossfire and cheaper than buying a Radiomaster and a Crossfire module. I’ve bought several prebuilts with Crossfire receivers and probably should switch my racers over at this point.

I say go for it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Thanks.

I looked up a tons of popular 65mm and 75mm drones, there are a handful of them have crossfire option.

Beta Meteor 75, TinyPusher, Eachine UZ65...I think that's it. I will watch a few more videos and decide on it. Probably Meteor 75 since its the most popular one.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

I agree, the Tango is a proper controller, not a toy like a lot of the older gamepad style ones. Don't get me wrong, I love my Taranis QX7 but you can't just toss it in a backpack, you need special case to transport and neck strap to use. Then again I'm a huge dork who uses a Pelican case to haul all this junk around

For crossfire, the protocol is so over-powered you'll never notice the difference with the mini unless you're trying to go long range. 900Mhz is a hell of a drug.

Kuvo posted:

i tested it out by arming it but still no OSD. additionally, the goggles stay in 'low power mode' after arming. im guessing i didnt wire up the FC to the vista right?

edit: resoldered the wires and tested with a multimeter and they look ok. maybe i missed something in betaflight?

edit2: figured it out, needed to enable configuration/msp for UART4. this instruction is after he tells me (in the middle of one of his videos) to go watch a different video for the X9 setup so i missed it during my walkthough lol

Ah yeah, I forgot you do need to setup MSP in Betaflight for the air unit's UART. I think if you have the DJI controller, you can do everything through the air unit (RX and VTX)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ewiley posted:

I love my Taranis QX7 but you can't just toss it in a backpack, you need special case to transport and neck strap to use.

You don't need special case not neck strap!!!!! What the heck?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I ended up getting a mini 2 a while ago, and dji finally got around to adding compatibility with the smart controller :woop:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

also yeah lol case is a bit overboard, get a backpack

my setup:

fatsharks in the top, props/batts/rc in main and drone strapped to it when they aren't all borked

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

I do have one of those cheap MOLLE backpacks for batteries, drones and tools. I'm not sure i'd trust like $1200 worth of goggles, controller, cameras, and other small electronics to a backpack. I prefer to break that stuff while flying, not before or after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ewiley posted:

I do have one of those cheap MOLLE backpacks for batteries, drones and tools. I'm not sure i'd trust like $1200 worth of goggles, controller, cameras, and other small electronics to a backpack. I prefer to break that stuff while flying, not before or after

You have to be pretty rough to break the Taranis. If anything, you may break a switch...which will cost $1 to replace. Goggles, pack them so nothing can hit the lenses. Quad/cameras/batteries If it can't survive the backpack, how do you expect it to survive any kind of contact with terrain?