Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Also I think target. I’m just seeing bold red lines, gray businessy gridwork and sans serif no nonsense signage in my head right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Neito posted:

The color scheme gives it away as 80s. IDK why, but deep reds and greys scream "1983" to me.

Circuit City’s color combo. Visually offensive as hell and I hope part of the reason that company failed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There was a retrotech exhibit in Moscow a little while ago. I was looking through the gallery and I saw my very first laptop.

The trackball was used with your thumb and the mouse buttons were on top of the lid. Just another archaic design that was fun but deserved to die.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Inzombiac posted:

There was a retrotech exhibit in Moscow a little while ago. I was looking through the gallery and I saw my very first laptop.

The trackball was used with your thumb and the mouse buttons were on top of the lid. Just another archaic design that was fun but deserved to die.

That doesn't look like any Wolfenstein that I've ever seen.

Mind you I only saw the first (9?)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inzombiac posted:

My brother had a Compaq like that too. I think I played one of the King's Quest games on it. I liked it as a space-saving solution, but in 2021 I feel shoulder pain just looking at it.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Phanatic posted:

Circuit City’s color combo. Visually offensive as hell and I hope part of the reason that company failed.

Deep red/maroon and grey were also big car color/interior color combo favorites, if my family's purchase history is anything to go by

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This might be blurring the lines to 2000s posting but I remember a few Flash games that tried to do poo poo like community leader boards, online accounts and online saves.

Incredibly buggy and stuff, but kind of amazing given it was god-drat Flash.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

mactheknife posted:

Deep red/maroon and grey were also big car color/interior color combo favorites, if my family's purchase history is anything to go by

I feel this. Three of the last four vehicles my parents purchased have had this color scheme.

edit: also three out of four of them have been Buicks. Why yes, they are middle class white boomers, how did you guess?

Meaty Ore has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Jun 3, 2021

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I cannot understand why anyone buys a Buick. If you don't care about cars and just what something basic and reliable, there are far better cars to buy at equal or better prices. If you care about something that looks cool, there are far better cars to buy at equal or better prices. If you care about something that looks fancy, there are far better cars to buy at equal or better prices. I have never understood what market segment Buick speaks to.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Inertia's a hell of a thing.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Phanatic posted:

I cannot understand why anyone buys a Buick. If you don't care about cars and just what something basic and reliable, there are far better cars to buy at equal or better prices. If you care about something that looks cool, there are far better cars to buy at equal or better prices. If you care about something that looks fancy, there are far better cars to buy at equal or better prices. I have never understood what market segment Buick speaks to.

I would not at all be surprised if they folded within 5-10 years. They have a reputation as an old person's car and those old people are mostly gone now.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Duck_King posted:

I would not at all be surprised if they folded within 5-10 years. They have a reputation as an old person's car and those old people are mostly gone now.

This is why every 5-10 years Buick rolls out another "This is the NEW Buick" ad campaign in an attempt to lure younger buyers.

Interestingly, Buick is only sold in North America and China, and they sell way more in China than they do here. 80% of all new Buicks are purchased in China.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

I saw something the other day that I thought looked kind of sharp and then I realized it was a Buick (the Envision, I think) and a cold shudder ran through me

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Phanatic posted:

mostly nationalism/xenophobia

and budget American cars tend to depreciate way harder than their Asian/Euro counterparts, meaning that a very well used American car is generally gonna cost way less to buy than a Corolla or Civic of the same vintage and mileage, which is absolutely the deciding factor for a lot of buyers.

literally the only reasons you look at the sea of Toyota/Honda/Mazda/KIA/Hyundai/et al. that you could be driving and go “no but what if I wanted worse reliability and a worse driving experience?”

Edit: and it may not be contemporary xenophobia. A lot of the old Chrysler/GM backbench/etc cars that you see on the road today were originally bought by old people 20 years ago who are either dead, not driving, or (super rarely) driving something newer. And so you see a lot of those cars being driven by their family members today, or by people who picked them up for a song. And in some cases a car that was hot for a minute can really “type” its drivers.

A good example of what I mean is the PT Cruiser: it pretty much exclusively got bought by a very thin, very specific sliver of Americans with a fondness for the styling language of the late 30s/early 40s, but it did absolutely gangbusters with that demographic (and p much nobody else).

A lot of those people aged out in subsequent years, and those cars were turned over to family members who needed them or sold for extremely low prices because nobody else wanted them. And also they aged like Chryslers, meaning that every time the car changes hands it’s got a fresh crop of broken poo poo to either fix, rip out, or ignore.

To quote-paraphrase the Regular Car Reviews dude: “in a few short years the PT Cruiser went from the quintessential cool grandma’s car to the quintessential ‘we’re giving Cousin Jimmy grandma’s old car so he has something to drive to work and counseling, just until he gets back on his feet’ car. The quintessential car worth $500 on the lot ‘and we’ll even throw in a free tank of gas.”

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Jun 3, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
My first laptop was an IBM and it had a plasma greyscale screen.

I played The Lost Vikings and attempted to play X-Wing on it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

A good example of what I mean is the PT Cruiser: it pretty much exclusively got bought by a very thin, very specific sliver of Americans with a fondness for the styling language of the late 30s/early 40s, but it did absolutely gangbusters with that demographic (and p much nobody else).

My wife (aged 21 at the time) wanted one when they first came out, not even really sure why in retrospect. She came from a family of Chrysler loyalists, so that may have influenced her initially naïve taste. Her little sister bought one I guess to flex on her, and after one ride, my wife changed her mind because it was a rickety bucket of petrified poo poo, even brand new. It didn’t help that we were dealing with the automotive woes of my then-current ride, a ‘95 Plymouth Neon, which was rapidly souring our opinion of Chrysler as a whole.

Not too long later, said sister had the car repossessed because she defaulted on her loan. Which she somehow got using my wife’s social security number and other information? If she weren’t so angry about the attempted identity theft, my wife would have enjoyed the schadenfreude. Instead, she cut her sister out of her life; one down, with the rest of her toxic family to follow over the years. Maybe we could have trolled her sorry rear end into buying a Chevy HHR next.

root beer has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Jun 3, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The PT cruiser was such an ugly, ugly car. Every now and then I see one, and am glad I don't see them more often.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's fine in silver, but everything's fine in silver.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If your turds are silver please see a doctor. I am sorry but you have pancreatic cancer.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
*About to go take a dump and look.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I was once told that Buick is referred to within GM as "the last car you'll ever buy" - the joke being that it's not because they're so reliable, but because they're bought almost exclusively by very old people.

Good luck with your trip to the toilet, Ambassador.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

If your turds are silver please see a doctor. I am sorry but you have pancreatic cancer.

colonidal silver

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Part of the issue with PT Cruisers going from ubiquitous to rare in just a few years is their horrendous engine packaging combined with an timing belt that must be changed( at 90K miles, IIRC) or else the entire engine grenades.

Changing the timing belt is a lovely job on a Neon, and a gawdawful job on a PT, because the designers of the car gave no fucks about maintenance when they designed the drat thing. You have to take the front fascia and fender(s) off to do all sorts of repair work that should be easy. So mechanics charge a high price, DIY-era don’t want to touch it, the motor blows up at 103K miles, and the car’s at Pick your Part. Over and over again.

By comparison, I can do the timing belt in an older Camry in an hour and a half, the PT used to take me almost five hours, and it didn’t get much easier the more I did. It wouldn’t be so bad if it was a nicely-made vehicle that was fun to drive, but......it’s none of the above.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Is there a name for that 90s aesthetic that would have like maybe a bunch of bird bones in a picture frame on a rusty backdrop with some coins and shells scattered about? It was common in hipper comics like Sandman and a lot of goth adjacent album covers and it screams 90s to me but hasn't really shown up in nostalgia cycles.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Disco Pope posted:

Is there a name for that 90s aesthetic that would have like maybe a bunch of bird bones in a picture frame on a rusty backdrop with some coins and shells scattered about? It was common in hipper comics like Sandman and a lot of goth adjacent album covers and it screams 90s to me but hasn't really shown up in nostalgia cycles.

you mean like the REM found object weirdo collage aesthetic? The Pixies diorama cover aesthetic? The “I graduated in 1983 with degrees in photography and experimental film” aesthetic? The Eye Spy aesthetic?

I’m blanking on the woman’s name (edit: it’s Olivia Parker) but the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA had a special exhibit on the lifetime work of one of the photographers credited with popularizing the style in the 1980s in 2019.

I agree that it feels very much of a time and place—specifically mid-to-late 80s art rock/post-punk.

It’s an aesthetic that became extremely popular in art and mass media (showed up on MTV a lot, etc) and then quickly got swallowed up or buried by more mainstream grunge and especially the internet/computers/desktop publishing trends in the mid-90s

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

you mean like the REM found object weirdo collage aesthetic? The Pixies diorama cover aesthetic? The “I graduated in 1983 with degrees in photography and experimental film” aesthetic? The Eye Spy aesthetic?

:hmmyes:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if you want 80s through 90s indie album cover aesthetic you want Vaughan Oliver (RIP).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Split is great and I'm gonna listen to it now

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

Part of the issue with PT Cruisers going from ubiquitous to rare in just a few years is their horrendous engine packaging combined with an timing belt that must be changed( at 90K miles, IIRC) or else the entire engine grenades.

Changing the timing belt is a lovely job on a Neon, and a gawdawful job on a PT, because the designers of the car gave no fucks about maintenance when they designed the drat thing. You have to take the front fascia and fender(s) off to do all sorts of repair work that should be easy. So mechanics charge a high price, DIY-era don’t want to touch it, the motor blows up at 103K miles, and the car’s at Pick your Part. Over and over again.

My girlfriend has not one, but two, PT Cruisers. When one breaks she drives the other one while the first one gets fixed. Often by me. You have to pull the air filter housing to access the battery terminals.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Heath posted:

Split is great and I'm gonna listen to it now

Same!

Random 90s interview with Robert Trujillo, bass player for Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious grooves at the time (now Metallica). They asked him what he was listening to and it was Lush. Very "carpets not matching the drapes" to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My first car was a 1998 Chevy Lumina. It wasn't really my choice, but my parents pushed me into it.

If you wanted to change the battery on that big white turd, you had to remove the windshield washer fluid reservoir. It wasn't a terrible operation, but it's such a :wtc: design choice.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That kind of packaging is going to stick around forever. I loved my 2005 Infiniti G35, but replacing the battery involved removing two large pieces of plastic cowling because they shoved the battery way back.

Anyway, despite my joke about Buick purchasing being driven by inertia, my own first car was a LeSabre, the actual one pictured here:

and... you know what, it was pretty drat good for what it was. Cheap (because it was used), comfortable, spacious. Maybe I got lucky with its reliability, but it was cheap to own too.

"Oh, but it's an old man's car! Don't you want something cool?"

Listen, I was an Eastern-European immigrant who was a massive nerd and drove this while studying engineering in western NY. Being "cool" was never on the table. Just being super fuckin' cold.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m blanking on the woman’s name (edit: it’s Olivia Parker) but the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA had a special exhibit on the lifetime work of one of the photographers credited with popularizing the style in the 1980s in 2019.

I agree that it feels very much of a time and place—specifically mid-to-late 80s art rock/post-punk.

It’s an aesthetic that became extremely popular in art and mass media (showed up on MTV a lot, etc) and then quickly got swallowed up or buried by more mainstream grunge and especially the internet/computers/desktop publishing trends in the mid-90s

You know what, I love Pixies and like REM and never even clocked that it's there too (although Pixies have this weird thing where I file them mentally as a 90s band even though the 80s was their imperial phase). But yes, that's what I meant.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

empty baggie posted:

Interestingly, Buick is only sold in North America and China, and they sell way more in China than they do here. 80% of all new Buicks are purchased in China.

I had totally forgotten about the Chinese luxury thing. I'll wager that has what's been keeping them afloat all this time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dialhforhero posted:

Better than your poo poo being gold, which means you have incestuous children.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duck_King posted:

I had totally forgotten about the Chinese luxury thing. I'll wager that has what's been keeping them afloat all this time.
According to half-assed Googling, Buick sells about 900K cars per year and only 200K in the US so …

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Better than your poo poo being gold, which means you have incestuous children.

Have I got some news for you about Tywin's poo poo.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Duck_King posted:

The US government originally wanted GM to shut down Buick like they did with Pontiac and Saturn (remember them?) as part of the post-2008 bailout but GM was able to get them to back off by pointing out how popular Buick was in China so this is literally true.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Disco Pope posted:

This reminded me that it took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to realize Dave McKean’s Sandman covers weren’t collages, they were photos of actual constructed objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The early ones were, at least.