Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Cattail Prophet posted:

Byleth's charm cap is 99.

ok I wont worry about it then lol

also I forgot the new aux battles have lots of rando enemies with Golden Apples, so I think thats where i was getting extra CHA from too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm almost through White Clouds in my Maddening run (month 2).

Hilda (wyvern rider) and Lysithea (bishop) are destroying enemy units. Both of them have been blessed with strength and magic respectively. They're both about 3-4 points higher than average, and they're already ridiculous to begin with. Leonie (went through pegassus knight to wyvern rider) is my go-to sword deleter, and Petra handes axes, or anything really if she can get on a forest tile (Assassin with sword avoid from the dance contest).

The female students have been my best units for the most part. Also, bows are king, and half my units are using bows at least some of the time.

It's my last chance to do it, so I'm going to try the Balthus / Hapi Paralogue again and see if I can get through it this time. I've finished all of the other paralogues I had available except for Hilda and Cyril's. I might put that one off until post-timeskip if it turns out to be way hard.

Maddening is really fun. I can't believe I put it off this long. Give it a try if you haven't yet.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've always felt like using your dancer pick just to give an already good combat unit sword avoid was a tremendous waste. You can easily make OP units without sword avoid, but you can't get another dancer.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Inu posted:

I'm almost through White Clouds in my Maddening run (month 2).

Hilda (wyvern rider) and Lysithea (bishop) are destroying enemy units. Both of them have been blessed with strength and magic respectively. They're both about 3-4 points higher than average, and they're already ridiculous to begin with. Leonie (went through pegassus knight to wyvern rider) is my go-to sword deleter, and Petra handes axes, or anything really if she can get on a forest tile (Assassin with sword avoid from the dance contest).

The female students have been my best units for the most part. Also, bows are king, and half my units are using bows at least some of the time.

It's my last chance to do it, so I'm going to try the Balthus / Hapi Paralogue again and see if I can get through it this time. I've finished all of the other paralogues I had available except for Hilda and Cyril's. I might put that one off until post-timeskip if it turns out to be way hard.

Maddening is really fun. I can't believe I put it off this long. Give it a try if you haven't yet.

Are you doing it NG or NG+?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Amppelix posted:

I've always felt like using your dancer pick just to give an already good combat unit sword avoid was a tremendous waste. You can easily make OP units without sword avoid, but you can't get another dancer.

There's plenty of people who don't use dancers. Sometimes you just don't feel like keeping a fragile unit alive and it's just easier to have another bruiser who can tank a hit

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I like them in other games, but I think it's just that I have a choice of who to make, and it's a decent way into part one when I've already started developing people, my brain just goes "Oh well I want them to keep being badass". Never missed having a dancer at least, and it's nice to actually be able to rely on your swordsperson of choice being basically invincible.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So is there really no way to grind for gold/xp without just doing the first map over and over? I miss the XP/Gold map in Awakening :(

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I found Dancer Raphael kinda funny not only because the giant lummonx doing the bend and pop was hilarious, but also giant sack of hp + Sword Avo made him surprisingly tanky, and he could still switch to fists for damage if needed.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So is there really no way to grind for gold/xp without just doing the first map over and over? I miss the XP/Gold map in Awakening :(

The DLC adds in random auxiliary maps that give very large cash rewards when cleared

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I main treat Dancer as a way to salvage a character whose growths haven't been shaping up. It's not hard for most characters to hit the requisite Charm, so if I have someone whose attack stat and/or speed has been failing them hard, I make them my Dancer and be done with it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I never really did much with dancers. I think Azura is my favorite because it's funny to make her a Spear Master in Conquest.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Walla posted:

I never really did much with dancers. I think Azura is my favorite because it's funny to make her a Spear Master in Conquest.

:hmmyes: I also remember the dancer in Sacred Stones who I just paired with the swordmaster lady because I have intense yuri goggles. It was also extremely effective and more gba swordmaster crits are always fun to see.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Deltasquid posted:

Are you doing it NG or NG+?

NG. I wanted to go for the full challenge.

quote:

I did it thinking that maybe I would have Petra be a dancer sometimes when I wanted her to be one, and then she could be an actual good combat unit with dodginess other times, but honestly, I have yet to use her as a dancer. I know that dancers are good in theory, but I haven't generally used the class much in 3H.

Maybe if Petra falls off in the second half of the game as a combat unit I'll use her more as a dancer.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just made Ignatz a dancer because he was the character I was least interested in.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you have the DLC, battles with a yellow exclamation point give extra gold rewards + one additional item. The items include the special stat boosters that could can grow from the greenhouse...and a large bullion (5k gold sale price). The items awarded are dependent on the map, so if you see "Battle on the Plains" listed under the Battle options, that is the map you want. Just double check the enemy that drops the large bullion because that map's other drop item is a Golden Apple (+1 charm), so you may need to reload the map to switch it to a large bullion.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inu posted:

Maybe if Petra falls off in the second half of the game as a combat unit I'll use her more as a dancer.
Hah, you wish. Petra and falling off don't belong in the same sentence.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
She kinda fell off for me later in the second half as an Assassin (the usual assassin problem of Speed/Dex for days but not enough strength to one-round), but that’s probably partly my fault for deciding I needed a thief and not a wyvern rider with the Steal skill equipped.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Last Celebration posted:

She kinda fell off for me later in the second half as an Assassin (the usual assassin problem of Speed/Dex for days but not enough strength to one-round), but that’s probably partly my fault for deciding I needed a thief and not a wyvern rider with the Steal skill equipped.

I was tempted to focus on axes and put her on wyverns since she always does great at that, but I decided to have her focus on swords more since no one else, aside from Byleth, was doing that. At least at this point in the game, it's probably just as well since with four fliers (Hilda, Leonie, Cyril, and Dark Flier Marianne) I've already run out of flying battalions for everyone. (I've got 4, but one is A rank, and none of them are at A yet.)

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Uh, ok. I see where maddening chapter 13 in VW/SS/AM gets its reputation from. Holy crap this is a huge difficulty spike.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Inu posted:

Uh, ok. I see where maddening chapter 13 in VW/SS/AM gets its reputation from. Holy crap this is a huge difficulty spike.

CF strutting over here as best route.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm watching the Red Letter Media review of Dracula and seeing Gary Oldman in his red armour declaring war on God reminded me of someone.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Petra really shines on Maddening where her speed isn’t overkill and is still enough to vastly outmatch most enemies. She was my only reliable dodge tank on Maddening

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I got through chapter 13!

I had one divine pulse left when I took down fake-llardo, and of course the real one spawned below the fake, just where the 2 units I used to attack the fake were standing, and without enough backup near them. That's the first map I've done where I've had to use every divine pulse to get through it. I've never even come close before.

At first I was trying to bait the bottom enemies before sending Hilda, Claude and Leonie up north, but I found that baiting the ones right near the bottom of the map caused some of the ones above them to start bee-lining for Ignatz and Lorenz, even though they weren't that close to them.

What I finally had to do was get Leonie, Hilda and Claude up to Ignatz and Lorenz. I then used Leonie's reposition to yeet Byleth up near everyone else too. After taking out most of the enemies in the middle of the map, I was able to send my units right and they were able to join up in the top middle with Lysithea, Marianne and Raphael. Once I had everyone together, it was not much harder than any other map, but sneaking around the edges of the map in the beginning to get a sizable group together before baiting any of the enemies was the key.

I can't imagine how I would have done this map if Leonie and Hilda hadn't been flying units. (Marianne was too, though she was less essential since she came in later.) Byleth wasn't flying, and literally couldn't move for like the first whole bunch of turns until Leonie was able to get him over the wall above where he starts.

Claude's battalion and encloser combat art were also really key on this map. Making sure Lorenz had his relic (and not Lysithea) at the end of chapter 12 was also big since Lorenz ends up seeing a lot more action in the beginning of the map.

If I do another maddening run with this map, I'm definitely training Byleth in flying, just for this map alone if nothing else.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Ok where is a good lore summary that isn't the cartoony one on youtube. I'm done with 1.75 runs and still don't have any clue about half the poo poo that happens in White Clouds

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm not sure if it's really that cartoony, but ok.

Teal deer:
Sothis shows up to Fodlan, spawns a bunch of Children from her blood, and hangs out with the humans, bringing technology and stuff. Eventually they fight for some reason (Rhea blames the Agarthians, Agarthians blames Sothis, both are obviously biased), Sothis wins and drives the rebellious humans underground where they Slither In the Dark, but Fodlan is basically ruined. Sothis expends most of her energy fixing Fodlan and goes to sleep in a tomb in Zanado. The Agarthians get some random bandit, Nemesis, to break into the tomb, kill Sothis, and bring her body back, at which point the Agarthians make the Sword of the Creator and its crest stone from her body, and gives Nemesis the Crest of Flames from her blood. Then, they send Nemesis back to Zanado, where he murders most of the Children of the Goddess and brings back their bodies for more crests and weapons, which they infuse into the 11 Elites, allies of Nemesis, though none of the elites know where their fancy weapons come from. (Also one of them goes crazy and becomes a monster, so everyone pretends he doesn't exist and there were only 10 elites). Rhea was (one of?) the only survivor of Zanado and swears revenge on Nemesis and friends alongside some other surviving Children of the Goddess, taking on the name Seiros alongside the 4 saints Cethleen, Cichol, Macuil, and Indech, and teaming up with Wilhelm the First, founder of Adrestia. Rhea and co. willingly give some of their blood to the Wilhelm and his allies, giving them crests, and also forged fancy weapons for use of those with crests (though less powerful than the Heroes' Relics, it has the twin advantages of allowing non-crest users to use them without becoming screaming monsters and also not requiring someone to die to make them). Eventually Proto-Adrestia wins and they kill Nemesis and the 10 Elites, driving the Agarthians back underground and taking back the heroes relics.

However, the Elites have had families at this point. Through some combination of sympathy for the relative innocents whose only crime was being born to the wrong parent, a desire for secrecy, a recognition of the fact that crests and relics are powerful, and a realization she could take advantage of people in a vulnerable situation, Rhea spares them and lets them use the Heroes Relic for their crests in exchange for them swearing loyalty to the her. She forms the Church of Seiros, intent on rewriting history so that the crests and relics were gifts from the Goddess Sothis and that Nemesis was merely corrupted by an evil force, and that having a crest is Good and means you are descended from a Good Person and therefore you deserve Good Things like being a noble. Cichol and Cethleen were injured or just exhausted and entered one of those healing sleeps that Sothis did, and Indech and Macuil just decided to gently caress off because they did not want to deal with humans anymore, leading Rhea to manipulate humanity for years. She's also trying to revive her mother by implanting her crest stone into artificial humans, but they constantly fail to become Sothis. Rhea is also suppressing a bunch of knowledge, fearing that humanity Knowing Too Much is why they began to rebel against Sothis and therefore she needs to keep them ignorant so they don't try to overthrow her like they did her mom.

Adrestia ruled over the entirety of Fodlan, but at some point, a bunch of nobles, lead by Loog, from the Northern portion of Fodlan decided to claim independence and rebel. This War of the Eagle and Lion saw what would soon be the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus enlist the aid of Those That Slither In The Dark in order to prevail over the Adrestians, and the church oversaw a peace deal that allowed the rebelling territories to secede and become the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus, with Loog as its first king.

A couple decades later, Leicester also decided to secede from Adrestia, though they were invaded by Faerghus soon after. After a hundred years or so, they declared another independence war, this time from Faerghus, and succeeded, forming the Leicester Alliance. I don't think it's confirmed if the Slitherins had a hand in this conflict too but I wouldn't doubt it.

Eventually, several decades before the game begins, Jeralt is a mercenary hired to guard Rhea. He takes a fatal blow meant for her, and in exchange she gives him her blood (giving him the Crest of Seiros) and recruits him into the Knights of Seiros, where he meets Rhea's newest failed Sothis, Sitri. They fall in love, get married, and give birth to a child. However, the birth is difficult and the child is stillborn. Sitri urges Rhea to take the Crest Stone of Sothis (which she is using as her heart) and give it to the child, Byleth. Rhea does so, Sitri dies, and Byleth lives, but Rhea is fairly certain this means that Byleth is a good host for Sothis, and so wants to keep them around. Jeralt, worried about Rhea's sudden possessiveness of his child and the fact he senses she's not telling him everything about Byleth's birth, sets a fire, fakes their deaths, and goes back to being a mercanary, this time raising their child by himself.

In Adrestia, the Emperor tries to consolidate power to himself as opposed to the nobles. This leads to a noble house, the Hryms, to try and secede to the Alliance with House Ordelia's help, but they fail. The empire then wipes out the main Hrym line, lets some random dude named Emile von Bartels be the figurehead leader of House Hrym, and appoints Duke Aegir to actually lead the lands, but this freaks out the rest of the powerful nobles who are worried that they are next, and they basically launch a soft coup. This Insurrection of the Seven basically makes the Emperor a figurehead while the nobles, lead by Duke Aegir, become the real power in the empire, and was almost certainly helped along by the Slitherins. One of the nobles, Arundel, who was the brother to one of the Emperor's consorts, took his niece, Edelgard, to Faerghus for protection, while his sister, Anselma, also went to Faerghus, taking on the name 'Patricia' to avoid detection.

'Patricia' met and married the king of Faerghus in secret. Edelgard and Dimitri met and befriended each other, but since Patricia never knew that her brother took her daughter to Faerghus and they never met, no one involved knew they were step siblings. Eventually, Arundel was murdered and replaced by Thales, leader of the Agarthians, and he took Edelgard back to the Empire, but not before Dimitri gave her a dagger because he is good at presents. There, she and her siblings were subjected to torturous experiments by the Agarthians in an attempt to get them fancy crests at the behest of the corrupt nobles allied to the Agarthians, which ended up killing all of Edelgard's siblings, bleaching Edelgard's hair, giving her memory loss to the point where she can't remember Dimitri, almost certainly massively shortening her lifespan, and giving her the Crest of Flames.

Back in Faerghus, another Slitherin taking the form of the Court Mage of Faerghus, Cornelia, reveals to Patricia that Edelgard has actually been in Faerghus recently, but claims that her husband, the King, was in fact keeping Edelgard away from her. However, she then claimed that if Patricia helped her kill the king, she could see her daughter again. Patricia agreed to help. While in the neighboring land of Duscur, Slitherin forces attack King Lambert's convoy, and kill everyone but Dimitri (and probably Patricia but she also disappears at this point never to be seen again so maybe she's dead). The people of Faerghus blame the Duscur people and proceed to genocide them. Dimitri tries to tell everyone it wasn't the Duscur, but no one believes him.

Also Claude's mom is the younger daughter of the most powerful duke in the Leicester Alliance, and she runs off to the neighboring kingdom of Almyra to elope with their king, having a son, Khalid . Khalid is made fun of for being half-Fodlanese, but then his uncle dies and House Riegen lacks an heir, so he shows up to take the position, changing his name to Claude in the process, desperately hoping that no one actually knows what an Almyran looks or acts like because he does not do a great job of hiding it.

Edelgard, mad at the Slitherins for torturing her and killing her family and mad at the Church for propping up the crest system that encouraged the experiments in the first place, resolves to use the Slitherins to help her topple the church and then try and take on the Agarthians herself, with her only advantages being two cool crests, two pet psychopaths, and the fact she's heir to a primarily figurehead position.

And Dimitri desperately needs therapy over the whole 'watched almost everyone he ever loved get murdered in front of him' thing. He does remember Edelgard, but she doesn't seem to remember him, so he doesn't bring it up much. He's trying to reveal the actual perpetrators behind the Tragedy of Duscur.

They all go to the Officer Academy together. Edelgard hires some bandits to attack them while they're out doing a training exercise (in an attempt to either kill Dimitri and Claude to destabilize their nations or scare off the teacher leading them so Jeritza can take their place). Claude, being used to people attempting to murder him, runs away immediately. Dimitri and Edelgard follow, eventually bumping into Jeralt and their kid, and the game starts.

That should be a rough summary of everything that happens before the game starts that matters for the overall plot and the main 4 characters backstories. I probably missed something, though.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 10, 2021

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Hellioning posted:

I'm not sure if it's really that cartoony, but ok.

Teal deer:

Some other minor points:

The church predates the Empire entirely.

Rhea and Wilhem were probably bangin'.

There were actually a LOT more Relics and Crests during the War of Heroes but they've been purged from history.

TWSITD probably were involved in Leicester's eventual split due to some information about Faerghus splitting into three as a result of maybe a forged note.

Jeralt's over a hundred so he was stormtroopering for a drat long while.

And most importantly. The new calender year begins on month 4 for inane reasons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'd also add

Flayn only woke up in the last few years (nebulously at some point between when Jeralt took Byleth and ran and the present day) which really explains why Seteth is so insanely over-protective. He was watching over her for over a thousand years before she woke up and finally lacking anything else to do they joined up with Rhea. Which is also why Seteth has a lot of conflict with Rhea as he slowly learns some of the more radical things she's been up to in the intervening centuries.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Another minor bit:

The whole reason Claude's uncle (on his mother's side) died was because of a monster attack. That was all-but-outright-stated to have been caused by Lorenz's father, Count Gloucester, in what appears to be a bid to weaken the Riegan leadership. This attack also resulted in the death of Raphael's parents, as they were joining the duke for an art appraisal or something similar. Unfortunately, this plot point doesn't get followed up on (either Claude doing something about it, Lorenz confronting his father for staging a political assassination that got innocents killed as collateral damage, or whether or not Count Gloucester did it for his own gain or on orders from others like the Argarthans) by the game once you complete Raphael and Ignatz's paralogue.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Another minor bit:

The whole reason Claude's uncle (on his mother's side) died was because of a monster attack. That was all-but-outright-stated to have been caused by Lorenz's father, Count Gloucester, in what appears to be a bid to weaken the Riegan leadership. This attack also resulted in the death of Raphael's parents, as they were joining the duke for an art appraisal or something similar. Unfortunately, this plot point doesn't get followed up on (either Claude doing something about it, Lorenz confronting his father for staging a political assassination that got innocents killed as collateral damage, or whether or not Count Gloucester did it for his own gain or on orders from others like the Argarthans) by the game once you complete Raphael and Ignatz's paralogue.

There's a tiny bit of follow-up in the DLC Shadow Library, but only in the sense that it's basically shouting "Gloucester definitely did it" in a way that Raphael doesn't allow to happen in the paralogue.

"...son of the Alliance's leader, Oswald von Riegan, has died in an accident. This follows an incident involving the previous successor, and even the Knights of Seiros suspect it was at Count Gloucester's command, thought it seems too conspicuous. There is some concern that it could spark a war. With the Duke Riegan gravely ill, the situation is..."

I would also add some stuff to the earlier lore summary:

The reason why Nemesis got called the "King of Liberation" was because the Nabateans he killed were ruling over humanity, but humans did not at all like enjoy ruled over by Nabateans. After having been ruled by superhuman overlords, humans saw the guy who killed their overlords as having "liberated" them. Of course, Nemesis was almost certainly a shitbag who never had any such intentions to begin with, but it seems he knew the power of good PR so framed himself as a liberator, which lasted up until around the (as far as most people at the time knew) entirely human-driven War Of Heroes started and Nemesis' true colours of a powerhungry bandit were shown. This ties into why the Rhea had to present Nemesis, as per Church of Seiros doctrine, as "a blessed hero who fought the evil gods terrorizing humanity, but then later fell evil and had to be killed": humans really did see Nemesis attacking the Nabateans as a hero fighting off "wicked gods", and Rhea couldn't change how humans had seen the Nabateans, and so had to go with the narrative that the person who killed her family was a hero who only later fell once he could no longer hide his powerhungry nature under the cloak of "liberation".

Also, while after the War of Heroes the Agarthans were foiled and driven underground, the key thing is that the surviving Nabateans never managed to work out it was the Agarthan survivors despite investigating the matter. This let the Agarthans keep doing their thing, with the Church constantly trying to play catch-up but never getting any real evidence or proof about the group. Rhea and co knows that there is a group out there who is acting against them, but has no clue who they are or what their actual goals are. Rhea and Seteth only work out it was all Agarthan survivors this whole time after Hubert's postmortem letter in VW and SS.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 10, 2021

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

McTimmy posted:

And most importantly. The new calender year begins on month 4 for inane reasons.

Because Japan

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

One of the confusing bits of all the ancient history dumps is that its always light on what "humans" whatever that means, are doing. In the first war between Nabateans and Agarthans (first humans?) Sothis and Nabateans win and they go underground. Should we assume some humans didn't go underground and instead stuck around to be perma-medieval under the leadership of Seiros et al? There have to be right, because the next mention of them is that during the next war they get Nemesis, a "bandit" , who we assume is neither a Nabatean nor Agarthan to do their dirty work, along with his friends. It would be *really* confusing if there were humans who were underground with Agarthans but not Agarthans.

Other questions:

1) the Agarthan record in the Shadow Library calls Sothis (we assume) the "False God" . We know that Sothis is also analogous to an alien: came here on a meteor, started taking poo poo over and reproduces asexually (although they are no where near as powerful as her?) . Does this mean there are True Gods? Do Agarthans have other Gods at all?

2) Do Nabateans reproduce at all? The only evidence of this is Seteth and Flayn who he says is his daughter, or is that just another analogy to get along with humans and they actually all are children of Sothis who don't age?
Can Nabateans and humans reproduce? Is that what Flayn is? Is that what Sitri is?

2) Is there a name for the world? Bc Fodlan is just the main continent right?
3) Petra's supports talk about other people being inhabited by spirits and divine beings which gives them powers, something that she is familiar with back in Brigid. Do Dagda/Almyra/Morfis/??? have their own Gods?
4) Fodlan is perma medieval because the Church of Seiros outlaws basically anything too scientific, why haven't the other continents lapped them then? Is Dagda gonna roll up with aircraft carriers soon?
5) What was going on with the Western Church/Lonato/Catherine? If the answer to this one is "play Azure Moon" thats fine, I've only done VW and most of SS so far.
6) Are there any examples of crest bearers no aging? Like even Gen 1 crest havers? Jeralt's side effects of getting Seiros' blood are confusing
7) Why wouldn't Agarthans just leave Fodlan, as far as we know its the only continent to ever have Sothis/Nabateans. Don't tell me it was easier for them to build ICBM bunkers than boats lol

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Zore posted:

I'd also add

Flayn only woke up in the last few years (nebulously at some point between when Jeralt took Byleth and ran and the present day) which really explains why Seteth is so insanely over-protective. He was watching over her for over a thousand years before she woke up and finally lacking anything else to do they joined up with Rhea. Which is also why Seteth has a lot of conflict with Rhea as he slowly learns some of the more radical things she's been up to in the intervening centuries.

This makes sense ty

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Shinji117 posted:

There's a tiny bit of follow-up in the DLC Shadow Library, but only in the sense that it's basically shouting "Gloucester definitely did it" in a way that Raphael doesn't allow to happen in the paralogue.

"...son of the Alliance's leader, Oswald von Riegan, has died in an accident. This follows an incident involving the previous successor, and even the Knights of Seiros suspect it was at Count Gloucester's command, thought it seems too conspicuous. There is some concern that it could spark a war. With the Duke Riegan gravely ill, the situation is..."

I would also add some stuff to the earlier lore summary:

The reason why Nemesis got called the "King of Liberation" was because the Nabateans he killed were ruling over humanity, but humans did not at all like enjoy ruled over by Nabateans. After having been ruled by superhuman overlords, humans saw the guy who killed their overlords as having "liberated" them. Of course, Nemesis was almost certainly a shitbag who never had any such intentions to begin with, but it seems he knew the power of good PR so framed himself as a liberator, which lasted up until around the (as far as most people at the time knew) entirely human-driven War Of Heroes started and Nemesis' true colours of a powerhungry bandit were shown. This ties into why the Rhea had to present Nemesis, as per Church of Seiros doctrine, as "a blessed hero who fought the evil gods terrorizing humanity, but then later fell evil and had to be killed": humans really did see Nemesis attacking the Nabateans as a hero fighting off "wicked gods", and Rhea couldn't change how humans had seen the Nabateans, and so had to go with the narrative that the person who killed her family was a hero who only later fell once he could no longer hide his powerhungry nature under the cloak of "liberation".

Also, while after the War of Heroes the Agarthans were foiled and driven underground, the key thing is that the surviving Nabateans never managed to work out it was the Agarthan survivors despite investigating the matter. This let the Agarthans keep doing their thing, with the Church constantly trying to play catch-up but never getting any real evidence or proof about the group. Rhea and co knows that there is a group out there who is acting against them, but has no clue who they are or what their actual goals are. Rhea and Seteth only work out it was all Agarthan survivors this whole time after Hubert's postmortem letter in VW and SS.

yeah the bit of the Nabateans never really knew the Agarthans were behind the War of Heroes does make things make more sense and yes that extremely gets lost in the various conflicting accounts of the war lol .

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

One of the confusing bits of all the ancient history dumps is that its always light on what "humans" whatever that means, are doing. In the first war between Nabateans and Agarthans (first humans?) Sothis and Nabateans win and they go underground. Should we assume some humans didn't go underground and instead stuck around to be perma-medieval under the leadership of Seiros et al? There have to be right, because the next mention of them is that during the next war they get Nemesis, a "bandit" , who we assume is neither a Nabatean nor Agarthan to do their dirty work, along with his friends. It would be *really* confusing if there were humans who were underground with Agarthans but not Agarthans.

Other questions:

1) the Agarthan record in the Shadow Library calls Sothis (we assume) the "False God" . We know that Sothis is also analogous to an alien: came here on a meteor, started taking poo poo over and reproduces asexually (although they are no where near as powerful as her?) . Does this mean there are True Gods? Do Agarthans have other Gods at all?

2) Do Nabateans reproduce at all? The only evidence of this is Seteth and Flayn who he says is his daughter, or is that just another analogy to get along with humans and they actually all are children of Sothis who don't age?
Can Nabateans and humans reproduce? Is that what Flayn is? Is that what Sitri is?

2) Is there a name for the world? Bc Fodlan is just the main continent right?
3) Petra's supports talk about other people being inhabited by spirits and divine beings which gives them powers, something that she is familiar with back in Brigid. Do Dagda/Almyra/Morfis/??? have their own Gods?
4) Fodlan is perma medieval because the Church of Seiros outlaws basically anything too scientific, why haven't the other continents lapped them then? Is Dagda gonna roll up with aircraft carriers soon?
5) What was going on with the Western Church/Lonato/Catherine? If the answer to this one is "play Azure Moon" thats fine, I've only done VW and most of SS so far.
6) Are there any examples of crest bearers no aging? Like even Gen 1 crest havers? Jeralt's side effects of getting Seiros' blood are confusing
7) Why wouldn't Agarthans just leave Fodlan, as far as we know its the only continent to ever have Sothis/Nabateans. Don't tell me it was easier for them to build ICBM bunkers than boats lol

Yeah, only the ringleaders of the rebellion were driven underground. There were humans on Sothis' side too.

1) We don't know very much about Agarthians. I think the 'false god' thing is just Agarthians being mad that people worship the person they hate the least.
2) They do. Flayn is literally Seteth's daughter. We don't know for certain if her mother was human or not, but I think it's implied that she is.
3) Fodlan is just the main continent, yes. We don't have a name for the whole world.
4) We don't know very much about the outside world, but probably.
5) I think this is just normal Fire Emblem tech stuff, like how Awakening isn't that much more advanced than Marth's games despite taking place centuries later.

6) This is more of a 'read Catherine and Ashe's support chain'. If you want to know, The Western Church were convinced by the slitherins that Rhea was evil and not doing the Goddess' will, so they tried to depose her. Ashe's brother, Christoph, bought into it too, and was part of the scheme. The Plot was discovered, but Rhea didn't want to admit that there was an assassination plot against her for...reasons. So instead they claimed that Christoph (and the other members of the plot probably) were partly responsible for the Tragedy of Duscur instead. This is why Lonato is so mad; he knows that his son was executed on false pretenses (I'm not sure if he knows Christoph actually was responsible for an assassination plot on Rhea or not). Catherine was Christoph's friend/girlfriend, but helped turn him in and was complicit in the false reasoning for his execution, because she was also loyal to Rhea. This is also basically why Catherine stopped coming up with her own morals and just listened to Rhea.
7) Not that I know of, beyond maybe Byleth, but Byleth is about five million special cases wrapped into one person.
8) Because this is their land dammit and they're not going to let any lizards defile it.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, only the ringleaders of the rebellion were driven underground. There were humans on Sothis' side too.

1) We don't know very much about Agarthians. I think the 'false god' thing is just Agarthians being mad that people worship the person they hate the least.
2) They do. Flayn is literally Seteth's daughter. We don't know for certain if her mother was human or not, but I think it's implied that she is.
3) Fodlan is just the main continent, yes. We don't have a name for the whole world.
4) We don't know very much about the outside world, but probably.
5) I think this is just normal Fire Emblem tech stuff, like how Awakening isn't that much more advanced than Marth's games despite taking place centuries later.

6) This is more of a 'read Catherine and Ashe's support chain'. If you want to know, The Western Church were convinced by the slitherins that Rhea was evil and not doing the Goddess' will, so they tried to depose her. Ashe's brother, Christoph, bought into it too, and was part of the scheme. The Plot was discovered, but Rhea didn't want to admit that there was an assassination plot against her for...reasons. So instead they claimed that Christoph (and the other members of the plot probably) were partly responsible for the Tragedy of Duscur instead. This is why Lonato is so mad; he knows that his son was executed on false pretenses (I'm not sure if he knows Christoph actually was responsible for an assassination plot on Rhea or not). Catherine was Christoph's friend/girlfriend, but helped turn him in and was complicit in the false reasoning for his execution, because she was also loyal to Rhea. This is also basically why Catherine stopped coming up with her own morals and just listened to Rhea.
7) Not that I know of, beyond maybe Byleth, but Byleth is about five million special cases wrapped into one person.
8) Because this is their land dammit and they're not going to let any lizards defile it.

1) The Slytherins seem to actually show some kind of weird respect towards Sothis. They really freaking hate Seiros specifically, generally see aboveground humans and Nabateans as a whole as beasts, but are strangely poetic about Sothis.
5) Eh, the DLC and the interview have it as the Church intentionally slowing progress (albeit not out of "I want to control things" but more because Rhea fears another Agartha), and Almyra currently has pretty advanced cannons on their ships so the outside world seems to be advancing faster than Fodlan. Awakening and so on is a setting where technology just doesn't really advance as a setting conceit, but in 3H we have Agartha, with their ICBMs and Mechas and dubstep so advanced tech is clearly possible, just not being reached.
6) You also have the Shadow Library bit about the Western Church thinking the Central Church participated in the Tragedy. The Western Church apparently noticed the Slytherin assistance given to the Kingdom Nobility truly behind the Tragedy, but thought the Slytherins were a black-ops branch of the Central Church (no clue as to why they assumed that, maybe the Slytherins demonstrated advanced knowledge of Crests/Relics that only the Central 'should' have?). The Library then implies the Western Church took their "proof" to Chirstoph, who tried to kill Rhea in response to her "being behind Duscur". Then, when the Central Church uno-reverse executed him for Duscur the Western Church's worst suspicions were 'confirmed' and they turn into the violently anti-Central branch they are at game start.
7) There is also Nemesis, who is pretty spry for a 132+ year old man in the opening cutscene. In fact, all the Elites also seem to have been able to live that long; the Abyss has the diary in of the last surviving Elites (meaning he survived even longer than Nemesis), where he talks about how he maybe shouldn't have taken Nemesis' deal, indicating the Elites still alive at the end of the (over a century long) War of Heroes were the same group Nemesis first powered up.

As for the calender, there is an actual in-game reason which is kinda neat, relating to Rhea trying to start a new calender with the founding of the Empire as day 1 month 1 year 1 with the apparant aim of both tying the Empire and Church close, as well as obscuring pre-Imperial records and making it harder to get an actual history of the pre-Empire (when Nabateans were ruling over humans, or even earlier when Agartha was a thing) time.

quote:

"Much time has passed since the Imperial calendar was adopted. In the prior calendar, the year began with what we now call the Guardian Moon and ended with Ethereal Moon. Back then, the 12 lunar phases were exclusively referred to as months. They came to be known as moons with our current calendar system.

Though the prior names of the months are lost, it is known that the Guardian Moon was often shortened to the number one, Pegasus to the number two, and so on until Ethereal Moon, the twelth and final month. Though inelegant, this was a practical system that apparently served the people of the time well.

There is no way of knowing when the old calendar was created. Any attempts to trace its origins lead to the era of the gods and more unanswered questions. All we know for certains is that the calendar has existed for a nearly incomprehensible length of time.

To change a civilization's calendar would inevitably cause great confusion and unrest. Why, then, did Emperor Wilhelm__the first leader of Adrestia__choose to abandon the original calendar in favor of the Imperial calendar? Historians have identified several possible reasons for such a dramatic measure.

1. The Influence of the Church of Seiros

The names of the Imperial calendar's moons, and the associated lore behind them, are intimately related to the tenets and saint of the Church of Seiros. It is highly probable that basing the new calendar on the teachings of Seiros was Emperor Wilhelm's attempt to spread those beliefs in a much wider scale and help legitimize the church.

If this is the case, it is further proof that the Adrestian Empire had close ties to the Church of Seiros from the very moment of its conception. Alternatively, it has been posited that the goddess herself wished to change the calendar and voiced this desire through the prophet Seiros. This would mean that Emperor Wilhelm simply implemented the change rather than originating it.

2. Asserting authority

Calendars represent the flow of time, and so creating a new one is akin to claiming dominion over time iself. Shortly after its founding, the Empire used its influence to establish a new calendar and retroactively proclaim its founding year as Year 1. Amid the unification of Fódlan, this move increased Imperial authority and heralded the start of a new era"

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 10, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

When it comes to tech and the outside world, it's specifically the heroes relics that are the tide turners. As well people with crests are supposed to be superhuman, see Dimitri easily crushing a man's skull, helmet and all. They just didn't show it through gameplay like in Genealogy since it would really limit your usable units.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Cichol and Cethleann.
OK, so, due to ambiguous wording in ENG the point gets confused, but Seiros is the last Nabateans that was directly "born" of Sothis. Seteth was born of other Nabateans. Flaynmom is probably Nabatean since otherwise Flayn would have the Crest of Cichol instead of her own (or maybe she inherited from Mom entirely).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Oh another thing, based off stuff Petra and Shamir say, it might only be in Fodlan that people even have magic. If this got clarified elsewhere, feel free to say so, and it's not 100% as non crested units can have magic/start with it like Dorothea, but I think it's related to potential.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eimi posted:

Oh another thing, based off stuff Petra and Shamir say, it might only be in Fodlan that people even have magic. If this got clarified elsewhere, feel free to say so, and it's not 100% as non crested units can have magic/start with it like Dorothea, but I think it's related to potential.

Well everyone from outside Fodlan CAN learn magic even if they're crap at it. There are just a handful of generics spellcasters from outside Fodlan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I think Sylvain mentions at some point that Heroes' Relics are basically the only thing preventing foreign countries from closing the arms gap between themselves and the stagnant Fodlan, and that's primarily why the whole thing about Crest-bearing bloodlines thinning out and Crests becoming rarer is really bad news.