Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

What is this?

AMC (the failing movie theater chain) is the new Gamestop stock if you hadn't heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Tiggum posted:

What is this?

AMC theaters almost went bankrupt in COVID but then became a meme stock

efb

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
remember all those articles about how nicotine would save you from covid?

well of course a bunch of paid off shills were behind it all:

https://twitter.com/bmj_latest/status/1400229503838920707?s=20

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tiggum posted:

What is this?

You should go read the doomsday economic thread.

Basically people are pumping AMC stock. Probably headed for a crash.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cold on a Cob posted:

remember all those articles about how nicotine would save you from covid?

well of course a bunch of paid off shills were behind it all:

https://twitter.com/bmj_latest/status/1400229503838920707?s=20

clearly if you've been pumping your lungs full of fire for 30 years then they are hardy enough to DESTROY covid!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

this guy may want to look at idk any religion ever i feel like

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So like the robot that prays on your behalf in Dirk Gently.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Plank Walker posted:

this guy may want to look at idk any religion ever i feel like

Catholics made special booths for prayers to be collected and used as leverage

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not monetizing the confession booth into a Blackmail Division was the most costly mistake the church ever made.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Not monetizing the confession booth into a Blackmail Division was the most costly mistake the church ever made.

I mean, indulgences are mostly that, except up front.

Also I think the church historically got more than its fair share. Like Amazon level more if you include land and property.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Catholic Church is without a doubt the richest institution on the planet and it's probably not close

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

yeah bit they could have made more, which is the same as losing

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gez you imagine not doing literally everything you can to make slightly more money? Pathetic.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

the Catholic Church is without a doubt the richest institution on the planet and it's probably not close

it's literally a nation-state

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s a state. it’s not a nation state tho .

the like one good thing about Catholic Church is it’s pan National

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

it’s a state. it’s not a nation state tho .

the like one good thing about Catholic Church is it’s pan National

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TxjrHPHypA

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just needed to share this screenshot after I got selected for random verification over my unemployment benefits. In the same interview they asked me if I was willing to travel 4 hours round-trip to take a $15 an hour job because it was in my field.

This is so much to take in

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Those are some bullshit numbers if I've ever seen any.

A lot more than 10% of this country makes less than $27/hr.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

RealFoxy posted:

I just needed to share this screenshot after I got selected for random verification over my unemployment benefits. In the same interview they asked me if I was willing to travel 4 hours round-trip to take a $15 an hour job because it was in my field.

Are those numbers specific to your field?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

GotLag posted:

Are those numbers specific to your field?
I work in IT, so absolutely not. It was also a scanned document that was uploaded as a PDF so I can't even click on the link to that source. Although there's a nice bit in the other scanned document where they asked where I could improve in my field and I said "Learning programming languages to make myself more attractive to employers" and she wrote down "Programming myself to be more attractive"

RealFoxy has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Jun 4, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RealFoxy posted:

that is an egregious misuse of BLS data that's insane

source: used to work there, no the data does not say that rofl

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I dont watch youtube. What does it say.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

According to the enormous spreadsheet I just downloaded from the BLS website the 10% hourly rate in West Virginia is $9.66 and the 90% is $38.75 which makes a hell of a lot more sense. You sure that wasn't for a specific job type?

e: If I look at specifically "Network and computer system administrators" the 10% is $21.03 and the 90% is $49.51 which is quite a lot closer to those numbers. I assume they're not mixing salaried employees in either (they're separate columns) so maybe that's why it appears to be a lot lower than you'd think?

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Jun 4, 2021

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

euphronius posted:

I dont watch youtube.

???

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

According to the enormous spreadsheet I just downloaded from the BLS website the 10% hourly rate in West Virginia is $9.66 and the 90% is $38.75 which makes a hell of a lot more sense. You sure that wasn't for a specific job type?
After exploring the website I realize the lady who sent that must have just picked a random job, but the PDF I was sent has any relevant data cut off because of a bad scanning job. God only knows what she pulled out of "Information Technology" when she thought I meant learning programming languages had something to do with turning myself into a prettier person.

The jobs offered to me were incredibly under-paid for having both a degree and over a decade of experience in my field AND required me to drive so much that I'd be essentially making well under WV's minimum wage after factoring in gas and general car maintenance.

I've only been on unemployment for 3 weeks and they asked "Why don't you have a job yet?" and the answer is because it takes like 2 weeks at minimum for most jobs to actually setup interviews to begin with. So all in all, the WV unemployment offices are a joke. I have no idea how anyone can exploit this system full-time like conservatives claim people do

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The best paying job to have going by the average salary is unsurprisingly surgeons, followed by gynecologists/obstetricians, generic "doctors", psychiatrists, nurse anesthetists, dentists, family medicine physicians, and then CEO's

I mean that's probably more or less true nationally too but it kinda cements in my mind the image that the only people making money in WV are people tending to the old miners slowly dying of black lung.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ doctors actually do work, especially surgeons. CEOs just sit on their asses and collect corporate welfare.

RealFoxy posted:

I have no idea how anyone can exploit this system full-time like conservatives claim people do

Republicans will through veterans on disability under the bus if it gets them another seat. Nothing they say is factual, it's all fear and FYGM.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

The best paying job to have going by the average salary is unsurprisingly surgeons, followed by gynecologists/obstetricians, generic "doctors", psychiatrists, nurse anesthetists, dentists, family medicine physicians, and then CEO's

I mean that's probably more or less true nationally too but it kinda cements in my mind the image that the only people making money in WV are people tending to the old miners slowly dying of black lung.
Nursing is incredibly lucrative here, I have a lot of friends who went into the industry but they're not making "Buy a house" kind of money. I also have 3 different family members who were fired from the healthcare industry (Two nurses and a doctor) because they were stealing medication on the job (All three of them re-selling the drugs, two of them addicted to the medication). West Virginia. One spent 5 years in prison and they let her work in Healthcare again for some reason. West Virginia.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They changed recently and now do enormous amounts of ads on every tube. Its just not worth even engaging with.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

euphronius posted:

They changed recently and now do enormous amounts of ads on every tube. Its just not worth even engaging with.

That's not recent, they're just updating the algorithm to more efficiently deliver more thinly veiled white supremacists ads.

I still watch youtube but mostly because british comedy game shows exist and we don't have a good vessel for Taskmaster here.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

euphronius posted:

It's because of the Adpocalypse where people went to advertisers directly because PewDiePie was saying pretty horrible stuff and instead of just pulling ads off PewDiePie, most advertisers just stopped paying for ads in YouTube. Then it happened three more times and everyone has AdBlock now, so every YouTuber has NordVPN or Raycon or Raid Shadow Legends ads directly edited into their videos and people are making almost nothing unless they sell out to the 10 or so rotating advertisers left on YouTube.

It wasn't that long ago that people just editing twitch streams would make over $50k a year off ad revenue alone

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't think I've seen an actual youtube ad in years.

This post has been sponsored by HelloFresh, America's favorite meal kit. Cooking enough food to produce these quality posts 8 hours later used to be a real chore, but thanks to HelloFresh it's now something I look forward to!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

RealFoxy posted:

"Programming myself to be more attractive"

stupid sexy coders

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

euphronius posted:

uBlock Origin
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

SponsorBlock
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sponsorblock/
Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sponsorblock-for-youtube/mnjggcdmjocbbbhaepdhchncahnbgone?hl=en

Eliminates all YouTube ads and skips past all sponsor plugs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mods eat burrito bowls with side tortillas

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

stupid sexy coders

I fumbled a selector and now all of my facial features are stuck to the left side of my face.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

was about to post these. also https://pi-hole.net/ if you're a shameless nerd with arcane networking magicks

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

euphronius posted:

my bank said they were going to mail me a new card because my debit card was expiring in may and i was like "k, cool, thnx" but it never showed up

so now things my debit card is linked to, like paying for youtube without ads, are like "your bill is about to be due and your debit card has expired!"

i'm not looking forward to ads and will probably just not watch stuff on youtube for a few days

gently caress that poo poo

gently caress it :yaycat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I just ... Live with ads. I have ad block but it's not great. And I pay for cheaper subscriptions even if it means watching commercials. I use them to remind me how much I hate capitalism