Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

commie kong posted:

Yeah I hope not :v:

I interpreted “thin wrapper” as a plain web browser with the forums address locked into it.
Yeah sorry for not being clear - I think ideally your UI would expose all of the functionality we expose, using native controls. It'd be optimal if I could change when various functional ui elements appear, and that would automatically be reflected in the app. The slight burden in worrying about things breaking in the app on my end is WAY overshadowed by the huge advantages of having a usable UI on mobile at all, covering a huge gap of ours.

Subjunctive posted:

Telling that there's an "edit post" button at all in a way that's robust against such future changes is itself challenging. Would it be reasonable to put "user-editable" in the class list for a post if the user should be shown an editing affordance? That would let us more clearly act on the intent of the forums rather than hoping we've picked the part of the markup that's really invariant across whatever changes.

ninja: similarly, a class="edit-date" span around the part of the editing message that contains the date would let us make things a fair bit more robust
This is a fair point and I will think about the best ways to expose these things such that you can easily figure out what controls are present programmatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

commie kong posted:

So I changed the ui on a whim, everybody. Enjoy!

Just kidding. I created a new theme. There are a bunch of themes, dummies. We can leave the main OLED one alone.

So this doesn’t match spanky’s screenshots exactly just yet. Need to tweak padding some more and realign the date, I guess. (The date format isn’t part of the theme, I’ll admit. We can have robust discussions over whether that should be a new setting or standard, if ya like)

Anyway, spanky deserves his own theme for giving us the alternative icons and throbbers :)

Also, playing with themes revealed an issue where the top and bottom bars had a grey line, even when no line was set. Happy to have sorted that at least

Haha, thank you for humouring me.

I noticed last night that the ipad version of the app has what looks like full size avatars - maybe it's scaling down a bit based on the device?

Also on the new beta dark theme the top and bottom bars still ave those hairlines - don't know if that was pushed out or not though.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Ah nothing I’ve done has been uploaded to GitHub, let alone pushed out to beta. Those notes would refer to the updated icons that carry on then pushed.

Do you have a Mac? If you like, I can help you compile a build so that you can see your changes in motion. Let me know and I’ll help via PMs. You just need Xcode and it can be done without a paid Apple dev account.

Re: avatars

What do you mean by full sized? I must admit I’m a bit confused by retina resolutions and actual viewport sizes.

I tested avatars with no max width and they started taking up almost half the screen. Googling tells me that the iPhone XS viewport dimensions are 375x812, so that makes sense for 180px wide avatars. If you long press an avatar, that’s full size.

I can tell you that iPad avatars are configured with a max width and height of 4em and iPhone avatars are set to 2.5em. I set the iPhone avs to also be 4em in my screenshot there

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
ear posting, ignore

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 4, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 4, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cat on keyboard?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

withak posted:

Cat on keyboard?

Probably a situation where they had the app open, got a phone call, and held their phone to their ear without clicking the phone call full screen. iOS changed how it handled incoming calls and they no longer go full screen by default. The light sensor doesn’t trigger the screen to shut off unless you switch the phone app to full screen. I’ve had a lot of cheek touch events because of this, myself.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you've come to the right thread, friend

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Once in a while the refresh smiley at the top of my usercp gets hugely vertically stretched, going from GBS to about 5 top level forums off screen. I refresh (aka RESUMMON THE SPINNING SMILEY) and it goes away. It in no way impacts functionality but it’s a weird bug.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Seems more like a feature you never knew you wanted! Happens now and then to me too. I really hate custom pull-to-refresh. Would like to fix it though.

In other news, commie kong figured out smilie duplication!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

pokeyman posted:

sweet

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I trust this means that we will now get four of every smiley

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I’ve been using Oled dark as my theme for…forever now, but today I noticed some significant screen smearing when scrolling on the parts that used to be black. I understand it’s a known issue with Oled screens, just wondering if this is something everyone else experiences as well? Now that I noticed it I can’t unsee it, and I had to switch to alternate dark instead. I’m on the iPhone 12 Pro.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

pokeyman posted:

:toot: :toot:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

commie kong posted:

Ah nothing I’ve done has been uploaded to GitHub, let alone pushed out to beta. Those notes would refer to the updated icons that carry on then pushed.

Do you have a Mac? If you like, I can help you compile a build so that you can see your changes in motion. Let me know and I’ll help via PMs. You just need Xcode and it can be done without a paid Apple dev account.

Re: avatars

What do you mean by full sized? I must admit I’m a bit confused by retina resolutions and actual viewport sizes.

I tested avatars with no max width and they started taking up almost half the screen. Googling tells me that the iPhone XS viewport dimensions are 375x812, so that makes sense for 180px wide avatars. If you long press an avatar, that’s full size.

I can tell you that iPad avatars are configured with a max width and height of 4em and iPhone avatars are set to 2.5em. I set the iPhone avs to also be 4em in my screenshot there

Ah, what I meant by 'fullsize' in my case is going to be useless in actual coding terms probably. I took a screenshot on my XS and the avs were 125x125px. I made them 180px instead so they were consistent with what the forums max av size is. I think upping them to what the iPad displays them as wouldn't be bad though.

I do have a mac and will get Xcode!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Images and Twitter embeds are disappearing or going to text only on me. Desktop seems to be ok?

Currently using iPhone 11, iOS 14.6.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

teen witch posted:

Images and Twitter embeds are disappearing or going to text only on me. Desktop seems to be ok?

Internet took a big poo poo so a lot of stuff is messed up right now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Those issues should have resolved themselves, post again if they haven't.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

teen witch posted:

I was having the same issue this morning (iPhone 8, iOS 14.6) where images weren’t loading at all, just seeing blank posts. Force closing and restarting the app worked and I haven’t had issues since FWIW.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Fully accept this may be a dumb niche opinion, but I kinda don't like that Awful reopens the last thread I was browsing, and would rather start from forum index each time I open it (except when I'm just quickly swapping to another app and coming right back :sweatdrop:)

Swiping the app away on iPad pro doesn't actually make that happen, which would be the ideal (swipe it away when I'm done done, don't swipe it away when I'm coming back to it). Am I missing a simple way to accomplish this, like differentiating "I'm done with the app really close it" and "hang on I'll be right back"?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I just had an error where viewing my own posts in a thread and attempting to edit the most recent one from that view instead quoted the post.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I changed the forums index a bit. If the app uses json for that, it shouldn't affect you at all. Basically, I removed the blank "subforums" div from forums with no subforums. If anyone has trouble getting a list of forums, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I changed the forums index a bit. If the app uses json for that, it shouldn't affect you at all. Basically, I removed the blank "subforums" div from forums with no subforums. If anyone has trouble getting a list of forums, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

Not seeing any issues myself so fingers crossed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A few requests:

When you long press and bring up the menues (like text formatting, [img], and stuff) give us an option to go back or exit out of the long press menu completely. Sometimes I want to post a link but accidentally hit the text formatting and have to do some janky stuff to get the menu to go away and start over.

Have the ribbon at the top (parent thread, scroll to bottom, etc) toggleable to always on. Sometimes it doesn’t appear at all (like when scrolling back up, for example).

Remove the imgur upload feature. It works maybe 10% of the time and 90% of the time it is just a frustrating. Leave everything else about it though. It’s broken, you’ve never been able to fix it. Time to admit defeat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

boop the snoot posted:

A few requests:

When you long press and bring up the menues (like text formatting, [img], and stuff) give us an option to go back or exit out of the long press menu completely. Sometimes I want to post a link but accidentally hit the text formatting and have to do some janky stuff to get the menu to go away and start over.

Have the ribbon at the top (parent thread, scroll to bottom, etc) toggleable to always on. Sometimes it doesn’t appear at all (like when scrolling back up, for example).

Remove the imgur upload feature. It works maybe 10% of the time and 90% of the time it is just a frustrating. Leave everything else about it though. It’s broken, you’ve never been able to fix it. Time to admit defeat.

The imgur issue is due to their free api limit. It works flawlessly when the count resets but goons quickly burn it up. Ideally we will be able to just upload to the forums themselves from the app with ease, but that requires astral's overhaul of the attachment system first.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Regardless of where it gets broken or how it gets broken, it is broken more often than it works. And it’s been like that for years and has never been fixed.

I’m not a computer toucher guy so maybe it technically isn’t “broken” in a technical sense, but it doesn’t work as intended and is just a source of frustration the vast majority of the time.

Ditch it, I say.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

How hard would it be to add functionality for people to sign into their own imgur account for uploads?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Add nu-waffleimages integration instead lmao

(i know you can't upload new stuff to it)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Data Graham posted:

Add nu-waffleimages integration instead lmao

(i know you can't upload new stuff to it)

as long as it's not blue-waffleimages integration

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shortspecialbus posted:

How hard would it be to add functionality for people to sign into their own imgur account for uploads?

I had a lovely patch that did it once long ago, in order to do some testing, and it wasn't that involved. I just hardcoded a token in though, and making a better UX for authenticating against imgur could be a meaningful amount of additional work.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the imgur integration works 90% of the time for me. i’d hate to lose it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

b_d posted:

the imgur integration works 90% of the time for me. i’d hate to lose it.

You're lucky. Much like BtS, it fails for me more often than it works. When I want to post an image I do it via the browser attachment button then go back to awful if I need to make any edits or want to quote the image elsewhere.

I'd upload a lot more pictures of my dog to the dog thread, but the majority of times it fails because the imgur api is poo poo.

On that note, the attachment system now, while not robust, does work. Is there any reason that the option to attach images to posts isn't available in app? You wouldn't be able to inline it like you can now with imgur (when it actually works), but it would be an actual reliable way to post pictures from my phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I say just direct everyone to use the iOS shortcut.

That works 99.9% of the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MarcusSA posted:

Last night I managed to find the 0.1% time and it kept bringing up nothing but blank timg pastes, but yes usually works well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Last night I managed to find the 0.1% time and it kept bringing up nothing but blank timg pastes, but yes usually works well.

Yeah I was gonna say 100% but I’ve had a few weird times were it does stuff like that. It works really well (especially for multiple image uploads) and with so much less bullshit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MarcusSA posted:

I say just direct everyone to use the iOS shortcut.

Huh? What do you mean iOS shortcut? You mean just posting images directly with the app via long press and choosing image? Because, if so, that’s using the imgur api and fails more often than not for me.

It just failed on this post to attach a picture of my dog, for example.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr. Nice! posted:

Huh? What do you mean iOS shortcut? You mean just posting images directly with the app via long press and choosing image? Because, if so, that’s using the imgur api and fails more often than not for me.

No, there's a set of instructions you can make that incorporates the Shortcut tool that will upload a selected image to imgur, generate the bbcode, and then puts it in the paste buffer. I'll try find it now.. at worst I'll screenshot mine and use said shortcut to post it!

e: think this is the current one

Hey, that username looks familiar! ;)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s this

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/3e4de3db7ff34e1b97cfea29fb3365f6

I just added a widget to my Home Screen. Super easy.

Edit: I wonder if it would be possible to have the app incorporate shortcuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why does SA not just have a dedicated imagehost that requires an SA login and only allows viewing via SA referrers