Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
am I supposed to believe firefox/chrome/safari don’t do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

imagine thinking chrome doesn't also exfiltrate data like that lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

they're running out of poo poo to make stick to China so now they're down to "using a Chinese phone steals your data"

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
just search for random poo poo and they will eventually stop tracking your cohort cause they cant sell you poo poo

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
there was that twitter thread last week about the guy getting ads for his mum's shampoo because he was visiting her. they all take and sell and cross-reference our data, it's not just perfidious orientals

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Homora Gaykemi posted:

there was that twitter thread last week about the guy getting ads for his mum's shampoo because he was visiting her. they all take and sell and cross-reference our data, it's not just perfidious orientals

was it due to geocaching or some poo poo? that'd be wild if it were syncing up the data from the guy's location with his contacts and the like and having middle-position software just interpolating that poo poo

oh god <:gonk:>

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
yeah it makes a relationship web for you based on who is also in the same location and figures out who you spend time with, then recommends similar products. this is probably also how it keeps doing the “people you may know!” thing for sex workers and clients even if people are careful with online identities

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Victory Position posted:

was it due to geocaching or some poo poo? that'd be wild if it were syncing up the data from the guy's location with his contacts and the like and having middle-position software just interpolating that poo poo

oops, it was toothpaste, not shampoo. here's the thread

https://twitter.com/robertgreeve/status/1397032784703655938

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
it probably is doing that or whatever but IIRC zenz is one of the Victims of Communism Foundation people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Victory Position posted:

yeah the thing about "facebook figures out to send you ads for soap" isn't because they turn your microphone on and listen to you talk about soap, they do it because all the collective metadata between you and everyone in your (physical and internet) vicinity can be cross-referenced to create a profile of yourself that suggests that you might need soap

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

So it’s not just “it’s cold out”.

It’s “it’s cold out” coming from Inhofe.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

indigi posted:

sure but they don't give the data to ~THE GUBMINT~ they just sell it to whoever wants it

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Homora Gaykemi posted:

oops, it was toothpaste, not shampoo. here's the thread

https://twitter.com/robertgreeve/status/1397032784703655938

my favorite thing ever was leaving work early one day due to an upset stomach after telling a coworker I should get some Pepto bismol. As I was going home I was stopped at a red light and a YouTube ad came on to let me know that Pepto bismol was on sale at Walgreens. Coincidentally there was a Walgreens just through the intersection. That was the day I uninstalled the Facebook app.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah the thing about "facebook figures out to send you ads for soap" isn't because they turn your microphone on and listen to you talk about soap, they do it because all the collective metadata between you and everyone in your (physical and internet) vicinity can be cross-referenced to create a profile of yourself that suggests that you might need soap

there was definitely a period of time where the Facebook app was obviously listening in and serving ads based on words spoken near the device.

Example in my last comment. I never searched for anything related to my stomach discomfort. I only mentioned Pepto Bismol aloud to a coworker while my phone was on my desk.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

indigi posted:

Blah blah whataboutism blah blah. I guess the hot take is that Zenz is complaining about it rather than someone with any credibility on tech issues.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The hot take is he highlights just one browser and the fact that it's Chinese.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
that's just lying by omission, doesn't taste spicy at all

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

sure but they don't give the data to ~THE GUBMINT~ they just sell it to whoever wants it

I don’t care if they give my data to the CCP. they can’t really do anything with it

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'd rather have my data sold to the CCP than to some marketing fuckface

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it is a great honor to provide valuable intel to president xi

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

please knock Mom! posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

it is a great honor to provide valuable intel to president xi

idk what’s valuable about me commenting “marry me hon” on every post on instagram but hell he’s welcome to that data

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

indigi posted:

idk what’s valuable about me commenting “marry me hon” on every post on instagram but hell he’s welcome to that data

a geographic map of the united states, like the one of afghanistan's mineral deposits that buttigieg has in his living room, except it quantifies countrywide horny

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

please knock Mom! posted:

what makes you think it’s one or the other

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

indigi posted:

Firefox is completely Open Source, Chrome is a mix, and Safari is Apple so who knows

I've never heard any allegation of these browsers being used for this purpose though, the NSA are more likely to tap communications lines directly.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Pirate Radar posted:

what makes you think it’s one or the other

where do I say I think it's one or the other

if my data is already being sold to marketing assholes, I don't care if the CCP also gets it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
villians

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah lol i would never paint a landlord as a peasant bound to the estate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he got told he couldn't endorse secession lol

https://twitter.com/TexasScorecard/status/1400893273401614338?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

came from old french as a pejorative against urbanites because they should actually be out there on the field making money for a baron

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jel Shaker posted:

came from old french as a pejorative against urbanites because they should actually be out there on the field making money for a baron

yea there's a bunch of germanic words referring to it but i'm poking fun at the misspelling

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

dear homeless people: stop being homeless!

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1400976658539192325

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

I am going to kill Tucker Calrson

FBI. police. feel free to register this statement, my gender and my existence as a loving threat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

:toxx:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol exactly the people you'd expect are going to open a thread in QCS about that post

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

paul_soccer12 has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Jun 5, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Braver than the troops

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

lol exactly the people you'd expect are going to open a thread in QCS about that post

i refuse to go into qcs but i hope they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:shuckyes:

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1400968536076476418