Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

frogge posted:

Brave New World future, I see.

Me, reading BNW as a teen: "gently caress this is horrific thank christ we don't live in that reality"
Me, thinking about BNW in the 2000's: "They might have had some good ideas"
Me, thinking about BNW now "GIVE ME THE loving SOMA I WANT TO FORGET"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Alobar posted:

my bank said they were going to mail me a new card because my debit card was expiring in may and i was like "k, cool, thnx" but it never showed up

so now things my debit card is linked to, like paying for youtube without ads, are like "your bill is about to be due and your debit card has expired!"

i'm not looking forward to ads and will probably just not watch stuff on youtube for a few days

gently caress that poo poo

gently caress it :yaycat:

Don't use a debit card for that stuff, use a credit card.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Gorson posted:

Me, reading BNW as a teen: "gently caress this is horrific thank christ we don't live in that reality"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

do those work on the phone app

probably not. thank you though

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

euphronius posted:

They work on the firefox mobile app, can't say anything about Chrome. Be sure to abuse the element blocker to get rid of all those obnoxious headers and footers taking up 30% or more of your screen space.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

euphronius posted:

If you're on Android try NewPipe off the fdroid store. If you're not on Android buy a better phone

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
current versions of the firefox mobile app dont let you install non-approved addons (which ublock and any adblocker will never be) and will disable them permanently if you had them in a previous update

its dogshit, just use newpipe instead of the youtube app

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Malleum posted:

current versions of the firefox mobile app dont let you install non-approved addons (which ublock and any adblocker will never be) and will disable them permanently if you had them in a previous update

its dogshit, just use newpipe instead of the youtube app

I've got ublock on my mobile Firefox?? I still use NewPipe because not being able to turn off my screen is poo poo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Look up Youtube Vanced. It gives ad-free viewing and allows you to use premium Youtube features for free.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Complications posted:

They work on the firefox mobile app

no they don’t

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thank you for the info . I don’t care about your tube enough to do any of that :)

to tie it into the thread it’s probably not great goggle was allowed to buy YouTube

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

The best paying job to have going by the average salary is unsurprisingly surgeons, followed by gynecologists/obstetricians, generic "doctors", psychiatrists, nurse anesthetists, dentists, family medicine physicians, and then CEO's

I mean that's probably more or less true nationally too but it kinda cements in my mind the image that the only people making money in WV are people tending to the old miners slowly dying of black lung.

It's worth remembering that CEOs aren't all Bezos and Gates. The majority are just single person or handful of employee companies, and a lot of those aren't going great all the time. Like, my CEO is still at a stage where he makes hands-on decisions about the software product, does a lot of sales stuff and does consulting (which is our main business). He's close enough to real people and real work that he's actually a pretty good guy. If we keep growing, he might turn into an rear end in a top hat though, who knows.

Sucking to to capital is cool right?

My point is more that under full communism, some of the current CEOs would be doing the exact same thing they are doing now, because the business they run is actually meaningful to them and society.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the “badly paid” ceos are still getting equity as well I would guess

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

the “badly paid” ceos are still getting equity as well I would guess

You can be a CEO without the company being public, meaning you own 100% of it. And it's still likely worth diddly squat because you're running a furniture company employing two guys and a dog and your profit margins are poo poo.

What I'm saying is that CEOs of public companies are probably the ones we need to guillotine.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

YoutubeVanced is easy to install and comes with both ad and sponsor block, and even more importantlya loving dark mode!!!! Highly recommend.

I will never see an ad isi can avoid it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
remember when CEO meant "the (usually) dude in charge of a bunch of other executive officers who in turn were in charge of a bunch of managers who were in charge of staff"? and if you ran a one- or several-person shop you were the manager or proprietor or something?

now ceo is "im brayden and im 16 years old and im the ceo of my own company" (which is not registered and has no capital and is not a going concern) and proprietor is "lol i don't read Shakespeare"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gorson posted:

See when I was a teen I thought it was cool and good because you got free drugs and VR sex all the time, and they didn't even kill people who didn't like the system they just sent them away to what was basically just a weirdo artist colony, so what's not to like???

Also obviously I would be an alpha because I am so cool and smart and likeable :smugdog:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Weatherman posted:

remember when CEO meant "the (usually) dude in charge of a bunch of other executive officers who in turn were in charge of a bunch of managers who were in charge of staff"? and if you ran a one- or several-person shop you were the manager or proprietor or something?

now ceo is "im brayden and im 16 years old and im the ceo of my own company" (which is not registered and has no capital and is not a going concern) and proprietor is "lol i don't read Shakespeare"

I mean part of this is that if you have any business wherewithal you'll be turning your sole proprietorship into an S-corp or something as soon as humanly possible because of the liability shield

If you have any personal assets at all worth protecting, obviously

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Musk hit this right on the head actually. When you're in charge, you can call yourself anything. Cyber king is especially dumb, but if you want to seem like you're a serious business, why not call yourself CEO? I know I did when I had a company so I could do academic Uber work.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thanatosian posted:

Don't use a debit card for that stuff, use a credit card.
yeah you're leaving minimum 1% cash back on the table (and that's from a zero fee card, if you're a high roller you can get like 2.5% back without breaking a sweat and usually get the fees waived for that too, but it requires tying up six figures with whoever's offering it or whatever...)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

/\ doctors actually do work, especially surgeons. CEOs just sit on their asses and collect corporate welfare.

I'll have you know that your average CEO works very hard finding new and exciting ways to exploit their workfroce....for 3, sometimes 4 hours a day

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Shame Boy posted:

See when I was a teen I thought it was cool and good because you got free drugs and VR sex all the time, and they didn't even kill people who didn't like the system they just sent them away to what was basically just a weirdo artist colony, so what's not to like???

Also obviously I would be an alpha because I am so cool and smart and likeable :smugdog:

It's essentially post-discontent society, the lower castes are sufficiently drugged and provided for not to envy higher castes :shrug:

Which is hosed up in a lot of ways but still better than anything humanity accomplished on a large scale lmao

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Alobar posted:

so now things my debit card is linked to, like paying for youtube without ads, are like "your bill is about to be due and your debit card has expired!"

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I just ... Live with ads. I have ad block but it's not great. And I pay for cheaper subscriptions even if it means watching commercials. I use them to remind me how much I hate capitalism

wtf, how can people live like this. blocking ads is like the easiest thing in the world nowadays

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

grate deceiver posted:

wtf, how can people live like this. blocking ads is like the easiest thing in the world nowadays

how do you do it on ios

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Learned helplessness smdh

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

I dont watch youtube. What does it say.

It's a funny song Trevor Moore made lampooning the Roman Catholic Church.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

I do all my video watching by chromecast from my phone and im too technologically inept to figure out how to put a "vpn" or "ads block" on my phone/tv/router

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Biplane posted:

I do all my video watching by chromecast from my phone and im too technologically inept to figure out how to put a "vpn" or "ads block" on my phone/tv/router

nordvpn has a phone app that i use but i have no idea how that would help block ads on youtube because im also inept. my spouse recently sprung for youtube premium (ad free, maybe some other poo poo beyond "audio plays with the screen turned off) because we mainly watch on our phones/consoles. i feel like a chump giving money to google when they're already selling my poo poo. we need a coalition of computer touchers, maybe a "geek squad" as it were, to help idiots like me not get fleeced by capitalism

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'll have you know that your average CEO works very hard finding new and exciting ways to exploit their workfroce....for 3, sometimes 4 hours a day month

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

nordvpn has a phone app that i use but i have no idea how that would help block ads on youtube because im also inept. my spouse recently sprung for youtube premium (ad free, maybe some other poo poo beyond "audio plays with the screen turned off) because we mainly watch on our phones/consoles. i feel like a chump giving money to google when they're already selling my poo poo. we need a coalition of computer touchers, maybe a "geek squad" as it were, to help idiots like me not get fleeced by capitalism

same. i did at one point download a vpn on my phone in an attempt to unlock Good Netflix but it did nothing. i think the vpn has to be further up the chain but I don't know how that works, so I am stuck with ads and limited streaming options. god help me

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Our roommate was allowed to keep her surgically removed wisdom teeth that were impacted despite them being all bloody and having some jaw tissue and other various body goop still attached.

She gave them to a girl she was dating cuz she wanted them to "do spells with", oh those kids these days :allears:

I kept the last two big honkin molars they yanked out because they had such freaky roots on them that the dentist had to get a foot up on the armrest of the dentist chair to get enough leverage to yank em out and still had to take a break partway through.

It might have been funny even if I wasn't gassed out of my mind

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

indigi posted:

no they don’t

prob did before they released "NEW firefox mobile" which pissed EVERYONE Off so much last year that while i was working there our google reviews that needed replies (bad reviews) backlog went from like 400 to like 40,000 and whoever manages it ended up washing their hands of the whole "reply to bad reviews" thing

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Biplane posted:

same. i did at one point download a vpn on my phone in an attempt to unlock Good Netflix but it did nothing. i think the vpn has to be further up the chain but I don't know how that works, so I am stuck with ads and limited streaming options. god help me

for Good Netflix, i use my laptop and a VPN with a hdmi out to the tv. pain in the butt, but it gets the job done

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

If u have a VPN just :filez: whatever you want, buncha boomers itt

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ios has content blocking in safari/other browser apps [firefox focus, purify] as well as psuedo-vpns that filter traffic [lockdown]. connecting via a wifi network through pihole, a dns filter, also works. never see a ad

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I just ... Live with ads. I have ad block but it's not great. And I pay for cheaper subscriptions even if it means watching commercials. I use them to remind me how much I hate capitalism

read smg posts until you get the hang of reading subtext and ads become more fun. sometimes, anyhow, some ads are just boring on every level.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i got some argentinian youtube premium subscription through a vpn for like $20/year, it seemed worth it to me since i know realistically i'm never going to successfully gently caress around with piholes and poo poo.

also i get youtube music which everyone seems to hate but seems totally fine to me? it just recommends me a lot of south american pop hits since it thinks i'm argentinian.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

i got some argentinian youtube premium subscription through a vpn for like $20/year, it seemed worth it to me since i know realistically i'm never going to successfully gently caress around with piholes and poo poo.

also i get youtube music which everyone seems to hate but seems totally fine to me? it just recommends me a lot of south american pop hits since it thinks i'm argentinian.

Maybe YouTube knows you better than you do, human.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

euphronius posted:

download youtube vanced for your phone, bye bye ads

Blokada catches everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Malleum posted:

This is not true. I have the latest version of Firefox on my phone with uBlock Origin right now and it works perfectly. I searched for it on addons.mozilla.org and it's still there. SponsorBlock doesn't seem to be available on mobile, but it's the less important one anyway imo.