Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LaserWash posted:

One of the kegs I ferment in is a “racetrack” keg. I’m thinking of buying the device that cuts around the dip tube for that keg to test out that method.

How much have you cut off yours?

Mines a Firestone keg. Just the odd one out, but it helps me remember which has the short tube. I cut off about a half inch? That was plenty.

Also, the device that cut the dip tube is called a saw. You don’t need more than a metal saw blade and some sand paper to take any burrs off and polish it up. If you have a dremel, it probably came with some attachments that will make sanding and polishing the cut really easy and fast.

Just make sure you take the half inch from the bottom. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Brewing seemed to go well yesterday

I think dumping the molasses in at 30 mins to go tripped the thermal switch because it just lost heat from then on.

Slightly concerned there hasn't been much sign of fermentation yet, it's warm enough at the moment.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Be concerned @ 48 hours of no fermentation confirmed with readings

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

tater_salad posted:

Be concerned @ 48 hours of no fermentation confirmed with readings

Fermentation has begun :D

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I brewed my cucumber saison yesterday and drat thing has dropped from 1.052 till about 1.028 (according to my Tilt). I didn't realize this Napoleon yeast from Imperial was going to go gang buster on it.

A friend brought over his brew of my porter recipe with a slight change, it was just kegged so flat and warm and man it was a drat good beer. Guess I'll be brewing that one soon.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Regarding black strap molasses - recently finished up an experimental wheat beer using this as an adjunct and after a few weeks of bottle conditioning, I'm happy to report that it added a nice burnt sugar note to the beer.

One of the key takeaways from it was to find organic molasses - that'll be the type that's free of sulfites that (I'm told) can throw off your fermentations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Regarding black strap molasses - recently finished up an experimental wheat beer using this as an adjunct and after a few weeks of bottle conditioning, I'm happy to report that it added a nice burnt sugar note to the beer.

One of the key takeaways from it was to find organic molasses - that'll be the type that's free of sulfites that (I'm told) can throw off your fermentations.

I got lucky on that since organic ended up being the cheapest and thus what I ordered

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've discovered the wonders of nitro cold brew coffee. As I look into options of dispensing my own, I see there is a mini keg, I think 128 oz, style. Anyone attempted to use this for homebrew? I wouldn't mind trying some beers in nitro in small quantity.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
There are a few different types of mini kegs in that size range. Most of them are pretty marginal, IMO, for beer. They don't tend to stand up to repeated use, and the running costs are pretty high because they are (or historically have been) designed to use with the 12 or 16 gram CO2 cartridges.

That said, there are cut-down corny kegs now in a wide variety of sizes. I think there's even a 1-gallon Torpedo keg. That could be arranged to use with nitro or beer gas, although you'd still have to buy the gas bottle, regulator, nitro faucet, etc. - so the startup costs would be high, but the running costs would be pretty low. Personally, if I were going to go to that level of expense and bother, I'd just do it for five gallons at a go - but I don't have the space limitations others might have.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The smallest Torpedo is 1.5 gallons or a half gallon more than the mini 128oz ones. I wouldn’t use a mini keg unless I knew I could hook it up to a nitrogen tank like I did my ball locks. This is a possibility, but you’d have to look at their fittings first. I have a friend that did a nitro setup and just stuck with the standard 5gal, but as long as you’re not stuck into buying gas refills or it has a low pressure rating then a mini keg should be fine for beer. Thats a lot of work for 8 pints though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Good points. I was more thinking about pulling off a part of a batch and testing on nitro vs. CO2 to see what major differences there could be, etc. I would probably invest in something larger then. It was just a fleeting idea I had this morning.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Kind of intrigued by this idea.

Do you buy 100% nitro cylinders or is it “beer gas?”

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LaserWash posted:

Kind of intrigued by this idea.

Do you buy 100% nitro cylinders or is it “beer gas?”

For beer you can buy beer gas. For coffee, you can just buy N2.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I asked 2 of my neighbors to save any wine bottles for me to bottle into. On Monday. I have 15 bottles now. I should be worried right?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

heh, yeah, wow, that's a lot of wine

*absolutely enormous tower of boxes of wine and beer bottles collapses behind me, and spilling out of every cabinet, drawer and cupboard*

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Yep, a buddy contacted me and said he had a few swingtops for me... turned out me meant "a few cases," so now I have boxes and bags and crates of the things.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I just pulled my first pint of cream ale for the summer and I don't know why I bother making anything else.

smowing bloke
May 8, 2007

Toebone posted:

I just pulled my first pint of cream ale for the summer and I don't know why I bother making anything else.

Looking to brew something new and this sounds good. Could you share the recipe?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

senticous posted:

Looking to brew something new and this sounds good. Could you share the recipe?

5 lbs pilsner
5 lbs 2 row
1 lb flaked rice (corn should also work)
.75 lb table sugar into the boil

20 ibus of whatever bittering hops you have on hand, I used some spalter select. Ferment fairly low with a clean yeast like US-05.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Toebone posted:

5 lbs pilsner
5 lbs 2 row

20 ibus of whatever bittering hops you have on hand, I used some spalter select. Ferment fairly low with a clean yeast like US-05.

pretty bog standard This is my go to cream-ale for the most part. Maybe I"ll brew it if I ever get a loving backyard patio and folks can come over and drink some beer; but that's another story for the gently caress contractors thread.

smowing bloke
May 8, 2007

Toebone posted:

5 lbs pilsner
5 lbs 2 row

Awesome thanks. Hope the ingredients are available around here.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
After a pretty long hiatus while sourcing some new kegerator parts and trying to drink my sour beers I will be brewing again this weekend.

The plan is to brew a sort-of-historical English IPA.

OG: 1.066 / 16.5 P

100% Chevalier Heritage Malt
100% East Kent Goldings (160 IBU)

Primary fermented with an English strain, then in secondary I'll add oak cubes and Brett C.
Will let it condition in the carboy for six months to a year and then keg with more EKG.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 15, 2021

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I'm getting ready to make a batch of Grodziskie. I want to add 0.5oz of pale chocolate to the mash purely for colour, since the last time I made this with a single malt it looked like piss water. This shouldn't add any flavour, right?

OG is 1.032, the only other malt is 6lb of oak smoked wheat. 5.5 gallon batch.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Probably better to use a smaller amount of Midnight Wheat instead of chocolate. You’ll get color still, but it won’t carry flavor with.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Jhet posted:

Probably better to use a smaller amount of Midnight Wheat instead of chocolate. You’ll get color still, but it won’t carry flavor with.
I'd rather avoid having to buy another specialty grain since I've already got several mason jars filled with leftovers from past batches, part of this is because it gives me an excuse to use up some older grain. fwiw I've got a couple of other options too: caramel @120L and roast barley.

I've also done some research and found that tossing a little bit of dark malt into the mash just before sparging or draining imparts most of the colour with no noticeable flavour contribution and negligible impact on pH. I might try this out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The roast might work then. Especially as you’re making a smoked malt beer. What little roasted barley flavor that slips through would only get masked/blended by the smoke. And you’d only need maybe 2oz to get your color.

Fwiw, I keep either melanoidin, midnight wheat, or dehusked black patent on hand specifically for color adjustment. You use so little for a good impact that I’ve never tasted it. 6oz of chocolate just gets too close to flavor impact for me. It’ll be interesting if you toss it at the end of the mash to hear how it turns out.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Sashimi posted:

I'm getting ready to make a batch of Grodziskie. I want to add 0.5oz of pale chocolate to the mash purely for colour, since the last time I made this with a single malt it looked like piss water. This shouldn't add any flavour, right?

I would go with Simpsons Black Malt or a similar ultra dark malt. That allows you to get more color for the grams. You could look for Carafa III dehusked, but seeing as how people usually can't differentiate those from husked at 8% of the grist I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

Edit: yeah, 15 grams of roasted barley is fine, you won't taste it.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 16, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sashimi posted:

No comment on the additions: Tastes like pisswater too :p I just made one and was not a fan of the style.. no smoked wheat beers for this guy.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Question about this Saison I'm fermenting currently:

Been in the fermenter a little over two weeks, it's come down from 1.053 to 1.007 so it's probably close to full attenuation. However, when I pulled a sample to take a gravity reading, it's throwing a very lager-like aroma on the nose, and tastes a little hot, but neither of these things are unpleasant, just unexpected (I assumed fermenting around 25c wouldn't produce fusel alcohols with a Saison yeast). I know Saison yeasts can be sulphurous during fermentation, but I'm not getting very much Saison flavour character from it. Is it likely to develop a bit more if I let it sit for another week or so?

Cracked open my first bottle of this saison today, carbonated beautifully and has amazing head retention, but is finishing a little sweet, and still a touch hot, so maybe another week in the bottle needed. Does have a lot of sasion esters now though. Can recommend pilsner, rye and acidulated malt with a bit of nelson sauvin and a 15 min boil, makes a good beer.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Cracked open my first bottle of this saison today, carbonated beautifully and has amazing head retention, but is finishing a little sweet, and still a touch hot, so maybe another week in the bottle needed. Does have a lot of sasion esters now though. Can recommend pilsner, rye and acidulated malt with a bit of nelson sauvin and a 15 min boil, makes a good beer.

I like making my clean saisons pretty bitter, at the very least an ibu/og of 0.6, but usually around 1.0. It helps keeping the beer crisp, dry and refreshing.

How many IBUs did you go for? Also, are you saying you only boiled for 15 minutes?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

thotsky posted:

I like making my clean saisons pretty bitter, at the very least an ibu/og of 0.6, but usually around 1.0. It helps keeping the beer crisp, dry and refreshing.

How many IBUs did you go for? Also, are you saying you only boiled for 15 minutes?

About 30IBU, I think. I no chill so ibu calculations are always a bit of guess, I try to work out how long the wort is going to take to cool to below 80c and base my bittering addition on that. Actually was a 20 minute boil in total, with the bittering addition at 15 mins, then a hopstand when the temp got to 75c. Have been experimenting with shorter boil times. The BU/OG ratio is about 0.7, but I could definitely see more bitterness working well.

I think the rye might be compounding the sweet finish issue, as the beer is quite viscous for its FG of 1.003?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

El Pollo Blanco posted:

About 30IBU, I think. I no chill so ibu calculations are always a bit of guess, I try to work out how long the wort is going to take to cool to below 80c and base my bittering addition on that. Actually was a 20 minute boil in total, with the bittering addition at 15 mins, then a hopstand when the temp got to 75c. Have been experimenting with shorter boil times. The BU/OG ratio is about 0.7, but I could definitely see more bitterness working well.

I think the rye might be compounding the sweet finish issue, as the beer is quite viscous for its FG of 1.003?

It will add some body, but so will the yeast if it's a high glycerol producer, which all the Thiriez ("French") strains are. 30 ibu should not be an issue.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I've always boiled for an hour. Are you saying I don't have to boil for an hour?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've always boiled for an hour. Are you saying I don't have to boil for an hour?

It changes your hop utilization and volume boiled off, but you do not need to boil for an hour (or technically at all). It also can change a few other things, but those are the big ones. If you want to just pasteurize, you'd do a boil for 10 minutes and that's more than sufficient and standard practice for kettle sours. Raw ale isn't boiled at all, but is can be brought up above 180F for 10 minutes as well. You could do a hop stand at 180 to get that whirlpool effect at that temp too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
This...this is potentially life changing....

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I also no chill and usulaly take 20 mins off the boil. It does adjust boil off volume. If I want a hoppier/bitterer beer I will boil for the hour.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've been doing the no chill as well. I've seen the ~20 minute thing before but who knows how realistic that is. I do ~2.5 gal batches which would cool down faster than an identical 5 gallon batch because of the increased surface area. I dump it in my stainless fermenter, I wonder if that affects how fast it cools down as well. Stainless does conduct heat better than polyethylene, but on the other hand maybe the cooling power of the ambient air is the limiting factor.

Circumcised Elon
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine
If anyone is still using Kveik yeast (you should, its excellent) can I recommend trying out pairing it with Talus hops?

I only just tasted this new (?) hop in a single hopped IPA and it has characteristics that I imagine would not only compliment Kveik yeast but also enhance aspects of it really drat well. Very interesting rather complex hop based on this one tasting. (it really does have a dried roses element to it like the hop description says, something I have never tasted before)

Circumcised Elon fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 23, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Oh good to know. Talus is HBC692, a daughter of Sabro HBC438. It’s very awesome. I didn’t know that’s what they named it.

Which kveik strain did you use with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Has anyone brewed a great beer with only 2,8 % abv?

The older I've gotten, the less I like sweet drinks like soda, but the more I like non-sweet drinks like beer more. But I don't want to die early nor do I want to usually get drunk, so I'd be interested in some recipes that anyone here has sampled and thought was good.

I've usually brewed with Citra and pale ale malts, a basic pale-ale with citrusy flavor. It's amazing. But lighter beers usually suffer from being watery.

I've considered using rye malts and dextrin malts or something like that to add body, but IIRC dextrin malts can give sweetness to the beer which I absolutely don't want.