Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I guess my issue is we went from two Annies on the brink of clawing each other to death over their messed up family, to a single Annie who is now fine because (???).
The previous chapter was building up to an emotional catharthis, which was suddenly cut off, and this chapter was Annie monologuing that it totally did happen, just off-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yak of Wrath posted:

The previous chapter was building up to an emotional catharthis, which was suddenly cut off, and this chapter was Annie monologuing that it totally did happen, just off-screen.
:emptyquote:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Yak of Wrath posted:

I guess my issue is we went from two Annies on the brink of clawing each other to death over their messed up family, to a single Annie who is now fine because (???).

I love Tony and he is my favorite character, but yeah. This.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yak of Wrath posted:

I'm really confused people keep bringing this up. It seems extremely obvious to me that they were ONLY at each others' throats because of Zimmy's influence. https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2410 and https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2411 establish that people in this situation were lashing out uncharacteristically due to Zimmy's influence. On https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2424 Reynard explicitly calls out how out-of-character he's acting, again due to Zimmy's influence. The Two Annies had never fought about Surma before, and before their fight were completely fine.

Like, I don't know how it could be more obvious that them lashing out at each other was purely due to Zimmy's influence. Yeah maybe those were deep-seated feelings, but they'd never been touched on at all beforehand so it seems a bit unlikely. Would a page or two of them apologizing to each other after this have been good? Sure, I guess, but ultimately I doubt it would have added much. If this conflict had been built-up more beforehand, and the Zimmy-verse had forced the conflict to a head, then yeah this would be a lovely way out. I don't think the two Annies had ever mentioned Surma to each other on screen even once before this, nor had either had any internal monologues about it or anything. The conflict came totally out of nowhere, after it had been clearly established that Zimmy's influence causes people to lash out unnecessarily - it's pretty clear to me that it wasn't something they were "really" having a conflict about, just was somethin Zimmy was causing.

e: to be clear though, I do think this would have been an interesting development and character conflict, and would have liked to see it elaborated on, but it never really came off to me like the comic wanted to explore it.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 31, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm not sure what you think you're arguing with, but you've only supported their points as far as I can see?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I guess I just never expected that argument to be elaborated on further, and am surprised so many people think of it as a dropped plot thread.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
now that its finished, I would like to propose renaming the previous chapter to "dad bad, so what"

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
It came up before:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2119

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
oh hey, remember that mysterious scene with surma telling annie that "he still loves you very much"? it seems likely now the "still" was Tony finding out he couldn't open up to her as he had hoped.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Admittedly I forgot about that, but also they seemingly resolve things later. If anything, the Zimmy argument kinda just feels like it's digging that previous argument up simply because Zimmy's trying to lash out, and that's the form it took.

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify the abruptness of the merge lmao

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Welp.

:dawkins101:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Well, nu-2-Annie's style is pretty great, I'm ready for a good time.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cavelcade posted:

Well, nu-2-Annie's style is pretty great, I'm ready for a good time.

Yes. Digging the new haircut.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Fusion Annie's half-tucked shirt is clearly an indication of her divided personality. In this essay I will

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

Fusion Annie's half-tucked shirt is clearly an indication of her divided personality. In this essay I will

Nah she just likes Wayne Gretzky now

(The legendary hockey player, not the legendary guy who posted pictures of his sack all over the forum)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I like the new look!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That guy has his sword under wraps, but Parley is carrying it out in the open. I wonder if it has any significance.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Eglamore looking seriously aged.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Everyone's drawn about a decade older than they actually are to make up for Jones.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Darth TNT posted:

That guy has his sword under wraps, but Parley is carrying it out in the open. I wonder if it has any significance.

That looks like his anti-shadow/light sword from https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=115.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
death flags being thrown up all over this page

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

dragon enthusiast posted:

death flags being thrown up all over this page

I can't help but feel like this is building up towards a finale, though I hope I'm wrong. We just "resolved" a bunch of loose ends (tik toks, two Annies, Annie's relationship with her dad) and now everyone is gathered together to face Loup.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

CodfishCartographer posted:

I can't help but feel like this is building up towards a finale, though I hope I'm wrong. We just "resolved" a bunch of loose ends (tik toks, two Annies, Annie's relationship with her dad) and now everyone is gathered together to face Loup.
I think there might be still a bit too much left to resolve.
* The memory being kept from Loup (likely being revealed this chapter?)
* The Court's whole deal (especially "becoming God" and what the heck the seed bismuth is)
* Annie being in the thrall of the psychopomps
* Robot cult / robogod Kat
* Zimmy? Will she ever know peace? :shrug:
* Maybe some kind of answer on why Jones exists

Though of course it's possible all of this could be a series of revelations over a few climactic chapters.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fecha posted:

* The memory being kept from Loup (likely being revealed this chapter?)
* The Court's whole deal (especially "becoming God" and what the heck the seed bismuth is)
* Robot cult / robogod Kat
* Zimmy? Will she ever know peace? :shrug:

these four are likely related (Omega Project?) so they could resolve the storylines at the same time (also chekov's knife), then maybe deal with the psychopomps in a scouring of the shire esque epilogue?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zimmy is definitely a part of the Omega Project, and her now apparently having more control over her powers is probably a sign of how the project is progressing.
Kat is also quite literally a Court member becoming a god, although this seems to be a separate process. Probably.

I'm keeping my chips on Loup's endgame being a confrontation with Renard - I could imagine this and the Omega Project climax looping in together just as the big plot ending. Especially if the Court is actively engaging in returning Coyote's gifts; they presumably expect to get something out of that.

Annie being obliged to the Psychopomps could come in anywhere, but we have been told that Loup is going to die, and that would be a pretty great place for her to start doing the job if that is indeed what they want her for.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The finale will just be 32 pages of Annie going to get a caramel frappuchino. In six of those pages will be the newspaper that Annie is reading, with articles explaining how Kat's cousin from Dundee showed up and resolved all the hanging plot elements and also that Donnie was motivated to study science by the death of his pet golden retriever as a young lad. There's no dialogue.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The finale will just be 32 pages of Annie going to get a caramel frappuchino. In six of those pages will be the newspaper that Annie is reading, with articles explaining how Kat's cousin from Dundee showed up and resolved all the hanging plot elements and also that Donnie was motivated to study science by the death of his pet golden retriever as a young lad. There's no dialogue.

Final panel is Annie staring out at the reader and saying "My Dad rules"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Kat: Oh no, the psychopomps are back!
Zimmy: *does the Bewitched nose wiggle and they disappear*
Kat: What
Annie: We all know what happened here! *nods*

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

The 7th Guest posted:

Kat: Oh no, the psychopomps are back!
Zimmy: *does the Bewitched nose wiggle and they disappear*
Kat: What
Annie: We all know what happened here! *nods*

*laugh track*

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I hope the all come back with doubles and we can do all that again.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-Xy9AOqd4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Annie: "I love you Dad"
*book ends on a repeat of this page except it's Tony screaming while Annie looks on adoringly*

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 4, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We can definitely resolve most of those plot points off screen in a way that retroactively draws all the tension out of them, all in the upcoming chapter alone.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Tony reenacting that painting of Ivan the Terrible while Annie's corpse is doing a thumbs up.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That's a fake and these guys in suits are in for a bad time. That should at least be entertaining.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
"Water get!"

Ditocoaf posted:

That's a fake and these guys in suits are in for a bad time. That should at least be entertaining.

Maybe it's been tampered with or only half of what it should be in some dumb experiment maybe?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'll admit, my first reaction was based on reading Annie's "Tha-" as an interrupted "That's", which sounded to me like she was about to say something along the lines of "that's not the vial I remember".

On second thought it's probably just an interrupted "Thank you", making this page less foreboding.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ditocoaf posted:

I'll admit, my first reaction was based on reading Annie's "Tha-" as an interrupted "That's", which sounded to me like she was about to say something along the lines of "that's not the vial I remember".

On second thought it's probably just an interrupted "Thank you", making this page less foreboding.

I had the same train of thought.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Yeah I remembered the vial being a little bigger and even went back and checked but it does look much the same. Who knows, maybe Loup will get it and get super amd that it's incomplete. Also I love the little detail of how clinical and dismissive "item" and "forest entity" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Vial's got some Coyote coloring going on.