Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

They will never bring back workhouses. That would involve the state housing people.

Paupers can be housed at state expense via housing benefit if they give the money to private landlords. Otherwise they can be allowed to become homeless, unless they misbehave enough to go to prison where they may be forced to labour. Workhouses are redundant.

Have you considered Serco workhouses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Ulysses is really loving good

:hmmyes:

The letters to his wife are also very sweet in an odd, pervy way. Dude just really loved his wife. And her farts .

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well, I tried rebooking my second appointment and it's now five days later than the original booking, so that worked out well.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Seeing as we are discussing malfunctioning body parts just now:

A good thing about facemasks - a postcrown near the front of my mouth fell out just now.
Too late to get to either of the shops that might sell 'temporary bonding cement'.
I bit on something hard a couple of weeks ago and it's been getting wobblier. But I have to wait another couple of months or so before I can get on the NHS dentist's list.
Off to see if Home Bargains or Waitrose sell any such stuff! I shall refrain from trying the Gorilla Glue.

Selfie:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I have a specific pain tolerance, in that I am fine with things I know for a fact aren't actually dangerous. Anything I can't see or I don't know where the pain is coming from freaks me the absolute gently caress out.
Oh Jesus yes. I am constantly sustaining injuries (thanks dyspraxic profile) that horrify my wife, but then get over them immediately.

Conversely I have had an on/off icepick headache the last few days, and there is a part of my rear end in a top hat brain that is going 'It's a blood clot. It's a tumor. It's a big cancerous tumour, and also one of them twins you absorbed in the womb and it's eating your brain.'

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
pfizer vaccine gave me a special headache that felt like a spike going down the top of my head

i'm not really fussed about dying suddenly from a blod clot or w/e, mind

think i have most of my affairs in order

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i won't be around to be embarrassed about people e.g. having to clear out my dildo drawer

probably going in the skip bag rather than charity shop

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

crispix posted:

i won't be around to be embarrassed about people e.g. having to clear out my dildo drawer

You should bequeath them to the thread in some sort of horrific Brewster's Millions-esque scenario.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

Share the wealth. Bundle them with Camrath's fudge.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

pfizer vaccine gave me a special headache that felt like a spike going down the top of my head

i'm not really fussed about dying suddenly from a blod clot or w/e, mind

think i have most of my affairs in order

I've had a recurring headache like that for most of my adult life (or rather it's recurred throughout my adult life but only once every couple of months for a couple of hours at the time) - in fact it feels *specifically* like a pick going in the top of my head and curving around to come out under my right eye. With a long and undistinguished family history of strokes and aneurysms, and the "entry wound" being very close to a nice big divot in my skull courtesy of a knee to the head in a rugby match, it's always terrified me but nothing ever showed up on the MRIs I had. Now thanks to Covid, or rather regular Covid testing and a slightly misplaced swab causing that *exact* pain, I now know it's just one of my sinuses being annoying. Apparently it's a pretty common thing, at least according to a nurse I was chatting to about it.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My oldest childhood friend lost her father today after a long, non-Covid related illness. This last year she has hardly seen him. And Twitter is full of people who are double vaccinated whining that they are still not allowed to travel to see their vaccinated families.

My friend was double vaccinated and so were her parents. They still stuck to the rules. And she won't be able to see her dad in a few months when all this is over.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've had a recurring headache like that for most of my adult life (or rather it's recurred throughout my adult life but only once every couple of months for a couple of hours at the time) - in fact it feels *specifically* like a pick going in the top of my head and curving around to come out under my right eye. With a long and undistinguished family history of strokes and aneurysms, and the "entry wound" being very close to a nice big divot in my skull courtesy of a knee to the head in a rugby match, it's always terrified me but nothing ever showed up on the MRIs I had. Now thanks to Covid, or rather regular Covid testing and a slightly misplaced swab causing that *exact* pain, I now know it's just one of my sinuses being annoying. Apparently it's a pretty common thing, at least according to a nurse I was chatting to about it.

Yeah as soon as you described the path of the pain I knew it was a sinus thing. Probably correlates with barometric pressure to some extent. I wonder if there's exploratory surgery you can get to unblock some poo poo in there

E: brief googling indicates yeah , you can get endoscopic sinus surgery on the NHS

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 4, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sinuses were a terrible idea.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah as soon as you described the path of the pain I knew it was a sinus thing. Probably correlates with barometric pressure to some extent. I wonder if there's exploratory surgery you can get to unblock some poo poo in there

E: brief googling indicates yeah , you can get endoscopic sinus surgery on the NHS

Funny you should mention pressure because it does sometimes come on when a thunderstorm is on the way (although that's probably selection bias, particularly as it's never been an issue with flying or even going up in tall buildings which give a much quicker drop to a much lower pressure).

As it is, it's only a minor annoyance that goes away with a couple of paracetamol, but thanks for the advice.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apparently it's a pretty common thing, at least according to a nurse I was chatting to about it.
It's weird how often that happens. I spent years having random hot lightning pains down my arm that no doctor could work out, only for a physio to say 'oh yeah, that's a trapped nerve and if you just stretch your neck properly it'll stop.'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Sinuses were a terrible idea.

They get right up my nose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

It’s impossible to take Joyce seriously once you’ve read his pervy sex letters about sniffing Nora Barnacle’s farts

Personally I don't know if I would ever want to read anything else he's written because I don't see how he can possibly top those.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I first learned that a sinus was reason to be concerned in my first year of uni when I woke up to find my left eye was swollen and unable to open. Specifically it was talking to a GP who had medical knowledge that allowed me to learn, rather than intrinsically responding to the issue by gaining knowledge from the ether.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lol top story on the mail website losing its poo poo because apparently our border forces went into french waters to pickup migrants rather than I dunno torpedo them or something.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9653583/Home-Office-launches-probe-Border-Force-entered-French-waters-collect-asylum-seekers.html

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol top story on the mail website losing its poo poo because apparently our border forces went into french waters to pickup migrants rather than I dunno torpedo them or something.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9653583/Home-Office-launches-probe-Border-Force-entered-French-waters-collect-asylum-seekers.html

They'll be working in Wetherspoons by monday.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Illegally though, because Blair banned people working while they're processing an asylum claim.

That's some impressive naval maneuvering.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
keith smells like school dinners

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
presumably the Mail is most annoyed that our glorious British boat doesn't have guns which she can turn on those pesky migrants and solve the problem on the spot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

keith smells like school dinners
That's not fair, it was only the teachers with a special desk drawer that got to smell like Jamesons and egg sarnies by the afternoon.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the dinner hall always smelt like cabbage, even when no cabbage was being served in there

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

the dinner hall always smelt like cabbage, even when no cabbage was being served in there

It's embedded into the paint they use "Institutional Green with Added Cabbage Odour" in schools, hospitals and probably prisons.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i've had to go into prisons with work, they smell like men

i've only been in men's prisons though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I did have a maths teacher who achieved the smell of eternal boiled cabbage, but he was a teetotaler and so presumably smelled of his sustenance brassicas while solving systems of multivariate quadratic equations.

Kieth's smell must incorporate the scent of disdain that Auld John Jameson planted in those copper pots that he so likes to sup from.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

presumably the Mail is most annoyed that our glorious British boat doesn't have guns which she can turn on those pesky migrants and solve the problem on the spot

Well the comments are full of Alf Garnett's angry they didn't get an orgasm hearing about immigrant death or 'beating' the frogs.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guavanaut posted:

Illegally though, because Blair banned people working while they're processing an asylum claim.

That's some impressive naval maneuvering.

I've been reading a lot of books about history recently. It strikes me that the Sun has chosen to illustrate this using the visual language of a battle diagram.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A battle diagram that they copied from elsewhere, I think.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched the episode of Alan Partridge tonight and was reminded of Noel’s HQ. Jesus Christ it’s one of the most prescient things I’ve ever seen. We’re living in Noel’s world now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XShH--nZ-Yw

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I watched the episode of Alan Partridge tonight and was reminded of Noel’s HQ. Jesus Christ it’s one of the most prescient things I’ve ever seen. We’re living in Noel’s world now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XShH--nZ-Yw

What the fuuuuuuuck. This is the first I'm seeing of this. Completely loving insane and deeply sinister.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh my god the woman's accent at the start "waeah are the powlees going after beeagpaipers? the YOBS"

It's like someone put the home counties in a blender.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Two minutes hate

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That "Bonkers Britain" segment is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like how you can carbon date it to a specific point in the late 00s just by the unholy collision of 80s Mary Whitehouse and 90s David Icke that gets you "Are you tired of the entire structure of law and order, but specifically because of health and safety, security, and the environment? Do you want a more respectful society by stringing up the yobs?"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

A battle diagram that they copied from elsewhere, I think.

We really do live in the stupidest country don't we

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

We really do live in the stupidest country don't we

Yeah, the Remain fleet showed a complete lack of discipline, failed to form a proper line of battle, let their main formation get alee of the UKIP fleet, and failed to use the Momentum squadron as either distraction or a boarding/pell-mell force to break up the UKIP line. It's no wonder the country is in the state it's in, poor Nelson must be turning in his grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, the Remain fleet showed a complete lack of discipline, failed to form a proper line of battle, let their main formation get alee of the UKIP fleet, and failed to use the Momentum squadron as either distraction or a boarding/pell-mell force to break up the UKIP line. It's no wonder the country is in the state it's in, poor Nelson must be turning in his grave.

But isn't that how we defeated the Spanish Main with whatsizface Drake? - can't be assed to google - playing bowls on Plymouth Ho or whatever it was, by having speedy little boats nipping in and out in a seemingly disorganized manner instead of the more disciplined Spanish galleons?