Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The vibe I’m getting here is “Oka is a dork,” not “Okaatrek, noooo!”
Next week: one man’s genocidal world war is another spider’s power-leveling turbogrind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Oka also likes to talk like Rhoswaal and put huge emphasis on raaaaaandom syllables. It's super obvious when she's doing it in text format. She still does it a bit in the anime, but it feels like it's been toned way down.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Preechr posted:

The vibe I’m getting here is “Oka is a dork,” not “Okaatrek, noooo!”

Senseis knew.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

New episode preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiiMdC1z5bs

Looks human side centric.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CGI Sophia is ehhhhhh

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Looking forward to a lot more janky 2D fighting

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well, the episode wasn't a *disaster* like 14. It was certainly not great animation, and CGI Sophia was probably the animation highlight of the episode TBH. That's not a glowing endorsement.

I had low expectations, and the episode met them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly dragged a bit for my taste. Maybe because I already know what's going to happen, but just cut the talking from the first half of the episode and make the Hugo fight cooler.

Shinobu the on-the-nose ninja is a fun gag.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I like how one of the main reasons kumoko has the information she does wrt how they all ended up here is because she was interesting enough for admin D to give her a ring. From what we know about D, they were in the classroom at the time all of the reincarnators got murdered by the previous DL/Hero and they seem to know at least a little about the reincarnators. The fact that they never felt like calling up Oka or any of the others to let them know what happened implies that the student timeline is canonically boring to the people watching them in-universe too.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

copy posted:

I like how one of the main reasons kumoko has the information she does wrt how they all ended up here is because she was interesting enough for admin D to give her a ring. From what we know about D, they were in the classroom at the time all of the reincarnators got murdered by the previous DL/Hero and they seem to know at least a little about the reincarnators. The fact that they never felt like calling up Oka or any of the others to let them know what happened implies that the student timeline is canonically boring to the people watching them in-universe too.

I'd be annoyed with Oka too if she took half of the chaos I'd sewn and turned it into Farm Simulator 2K21

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Adder Moray posted:

I'd be annoyed with Oka too if she took half of the chaos I'd sewn and turned it into Farm Simulator 2K21

Yeah, just imagine you wake up in some weird fantasy world and have the potential to grow exponentially and then some nasty elves kidnap you, and force you to work on a farm for decades. Just remember, the only reason Filimos and her daddy didn't snatch the main characters is that those were born in rich and powerful families and were unavailable. Shun may not be great, but his life turned out marginally more interesting than that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, just imagine you wake up in some weird fantasy world and have the potential to grow exponentially and then some nasty elves kidnap you, and force you to work on a farm for decades. Just remember, the only reason Filimos and her daddy didn't snatch the main characters is that those were born in rich and powerful families and were unavailable. Shun may not be great, but his life turned out marginally more interesting than that.

This post reminds me of the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times"

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I feel like the best way to fight Hugo is to just constantly make fun of him for having to rely on Sophia to save his rear end every time. "Oh you're the main the character? Why does Sophia always end up saving you?" His ego would never be able to take it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Was rereading volume 2 and was reminded of this quote from Fei when talking about Shun to Katia:

"Oh, don’t be angry. I respect him now, in a way. I mean, he managed to stay thoroughly average even after being reborn in a new world. That’s got to take some real dedication."

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Adder Moray posted:

Was rereading volume 2 and was reminded of this quote from Fei when talking about Shun to Katia:

"Oh, don’t be angry. I respect him now, in a way. I mean, he managed to stay thoroughly average even after being reborn in a new world. That’s got to take some real dedication."

It's a tragedy that didn't make it in.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Bremen posted:

It's a tragedy that didn't make it in.

What makes it golden is that later in the same book we get confirmation that she's right. It does take dedication and Shun is trying his damndest not to change in any meaningful way out of fear.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That last little sword clash at the end of the episode had so little weight it was comical.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mentally they're all 30, right? 15ish when they got isekai'ed and then another 15ish in the fantasy world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are all 30 mentally, but most of them spent all of that time as children. growing up isn't solely a function of time.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

8one6 posted:

Mentally they're all 30, right? 15ish when they got isekai'ed and then another 15ish in the fantasy world.

Living to 30 and living to 15 twice are two very different things.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

8one6 posted:

Sensei is older, but they honestly really aren't mentally that old. Their mental states are very much impacted by their bodies, be it just because they had to go through adolescence again, or in the case of the monster ones, the drastically different biology.

Fei comments in the LN 3ish (not really a spoiler, but the anime did skip this anime onlies can probably feel free to unhide) That she's not attracted to human men since she's a dragon now

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sensei is older, but they honestly really aren't mentally that old. Their mental states are very much impacted by their bodies, be it just because they had to go through adolescence again, or in the case of the monster ones, the drastically different biology.

Fei comments in the LN 3ish (not really a spoiler, but the anime did skip this anime onlies can probably feel free to unhide) That she's not attracted to human men since she's a dragon now

That's from 2, actually. Same conversation as the quote I posted above.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they are all 30 mentally, but most of them spent all of that time as children. growing up isn't solely a function of time.

It's practically a form of arrested emotional development which is why their characters seem so flat, most of them don't seem to grow from what they were before reincarnation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not reading this thread because I wanna avoid spoilers but I'm on episode 19 right now and man, this might be the best episode so far. :allears:

---

Caught up! Whenever Kumoko is on screen, the show's great. Whenever she's not, it's only kinda okay. There's a lot of interesting stuff you can do with the concept of an entire classroom reincarnating into the same world, and the story doesn't really do any of that.

My biggest annoyance is that I'm gonna have to wait for like two more seasons of this anime for us to get any answers on what the gently caress is going on, and I'll forget about the show by then. Whatever happened to short and sweet?

Goddammit, should injustice read the LNs at this point? :negative:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 6, 2021

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Not reading this thread because I wanna avoid spoilers but I'm on episode 19 right now and man, this might be the best episode so far. :allears:

---

Caught up! Whenever Kumoko is on screen, the show's great. Whenever she's not, it's only kinda okay. There's a lot of interesting stuff you can do with the concept of an entire classroom reincarnating into the same world, and the story doesn't really do any of that.

My biggest annoyance is that I'm gonna have to wait for like two more seasons of this anime for us to get any answers on what the gently caress is going on, and I'll forget about the show by then. Whatever happened to short and sweet?

It's based on an ongoing Light Novel (which is, itself, like a directors cut of an ongoing web novel). It's actually moving at a fairly brisk pace (which is a lot of the cause of your first complaint, the show's basically gutted everything that isn't a straight up plot beat from the Non-Kumoko part of the story) in that it's looking like it'll be covering 5 out of a current total of 14 volumes of said novel.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god. :negative:

On the one hand, I really wanna find out what the gently caress is going on, and the manga took years to get halfway to where we are now, so I’m getting impatient. On the other, that’s a lot of reading.

Maybe it’s on Kindle or something…

Edit: I’m amazed that Amazon still doesn’t let you buy Kindle books via the Amazon app.

Edit 2: Oh no.

The light novel is written like this.

It’s like Simple English Wikipedia.

But it costs $9.

I should feel better about my own writing.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 6, 2021

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Eh, I think that's pretty much just how light novels are, dialogue and literal descriptions of events as they unfold.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wait so the weird busty loligoth vamp was the creepy kid in the OP?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Edit 2: Oh no.

The light novel is written like this.

It’s like Simple English Wikipedia.

But it costs $9.

I should feel better about my own writing.

That is exactly how I felt when I started. Either it got a lot better or I just got used to it. Though it never stops being really stream of conscious.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I mean the prose isn't Nasu level or Nisio level but those two are like, the pinnacle of Light Novel prose; I am actually thankful for straightforward prose that's not difficult to read.

Read the novels! They're great! They add a LOT to the characterization of the Human side! Basically the LN basically makes the Human side as good as the manga makes the spider side.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm not sure if this is true anymore now that Fei has a human body. Elaboration (Not really a spoiler but without it can infer the above spoiler text if someone didn't wanna click it) On the other hand growing up as Shun's pet is kinda analogous to being a younger sibling so maybe that still has an effect; on the other hand Shun clearly still does the anime protagonist freakout whenever she changes.

logger posted:

It's practically a form of arrested emotional development which is why their characters seem so flat, most of them don't seem to grow from what they were before reincarnation.

I mean I don't think this is entirely true. Hasebe, Katia, Hugo, Sophia, Oka, and Fei of like the core cast, missing characterization aside (especially egregious in the case of Katia) all have fairly distinct personalities; Katia, Hugo, and Fei have all gone through on screen development. Hasebe had markedly changed before she met anyone else as the Healing Church upbringing and culture shock basically broke her before she met with anyone else. Oka has been single minded the entire time in her goal while everyone else were living a more normalish life in comparison.

Katia, Hugo and Fei have basically some of the largest on screen non-LN context development.

Shun is kinda the odd one out, but we're missing his perspective; kind of the Shirou Emiya adaption problem. We lose a lot of what makes him fun.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Wait so the weird busty loligoth vamp was the creepy kid in the OP?

Yep! They called her Rihoko (Real Horror Girl), or Spooky in the translation.

Re: missing characterization, the anime has kind of done Katia dirty in my opinion. Gonna spoiler tag this just in case, but in the LN, it's heavily implied that she was attracted to other boys, including Shun, prior to reincarnation, and that she feels more comfortable in her new body than she did her old one. She sees herself as a girl, along with a lot of the other female protagonists. As a trans person, it feels like representation, even if it's not overt about it, and is some of the least problematic representation in anime/manga/LN that I've come across.

She's probably my favorite character aside from Kumoko.

MadMadi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 6, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MadMadi posted:

Yep! They called her Rihoko (Real Horror Girl), or Spooky in the translation.

Re: missing characterization, the anime has kind of done Katia dirty in my opinion. Gonna spoiler tag this just in case, but in the LN, it's heavily implied that she was attracted to other boys, including Shun, prior to reincarnation, and that she feels more comfortable in her new body than she did her old one. She sees herself as a girl, along with a lot of the other female protagonists. As a trans person, it feels like representation, even if it's not overt about it, and is some of the least problematic representation in anime/manga/LN that I've come across.

She's probably my favorite character aside from Kumoko.

If you'd like to know what her special skill is, from the WN I can tell you it's called (and I won't tell you what it does, so you can feel pretty safe unhiding it, but feel free to leave it hidden if you'd like) Transition

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Compilation of Administrator D's reincarnation shitposting:

Fei: brash, greedy class bully -> dragon
Sophia: anemic kid (no, literally, the LNs reveal that she's was always pale and low on energy because she had a blood disease) -> vampire
Katia: Possibly-gay kid -> opposite gender
Kumoko: shut-in -> spider
Shinobu: the kid so unnoticible that everyone forgets about him, with a ninja-y name: ninja
Oka: teacher who wants to appear more youthful than she is -> elf (race that ages slower, so she looks way younger than she is)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Sophia: anemic kid (no, literally, the LNs reveal that she's was always pale and low on energy because she had a blood disease) -> vampire
She also had quite the overbite/snaggle-tooth

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Anyone who wasn't a featured character -> dirt-tilling peasants.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hugo: rear end in a top hat -> murderous rear end in a top hat

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Shun: Just kinda there either way.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Shun: most generic kid in class -> isekai anime protagonist

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shun: motherfucking mutiversal constant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Shun: Bland > Heroic Bland

Reminds me of an insult in Bob's Burgers that I love: "if your personality were a spice you'd be flour"