Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Anyone happen to have a recommendation for a good music stand that has some kind of built-in/easy to attach LED and could easily support the weight of a 2" 3-ring binder that is stuffed to the brim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Standard in pit orchestras is Manhasset + a stand light

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Do you know if Manhasset makes a good one that can fold its feet up and out of the way? Not a requirement, but would definitely be a plus.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Looks like it, yeah. I’m on my phone but I just googled “Manhasset fold up”

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H327YVB/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

About the time the original iMac came out, 1999 or so, there were a series of "flat panel speakers" that came out, they were black and uh, about 4x5" and maybe 3mm thick, I think they were about $250 at the time

I can't find any mention of them online, does anybody know what I'm talking about? I remember they were sold at CompUSA for at least a year

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Hadlock posted:

About the time the original iMac came out, 1999 or so, there were a series of "flat panel speakers" that came out, they were black and uh, about 4x5" and maybe 3mm thick, I think they were about $250 at the time

I can't find any mention of them online, does anybody know what I'm talking about? I remember they were sold at CompUSA for at least a year

I think you're thinking of Monsoon speakers - looks like there were a few different versions. I hadn't thought about them in years, but I absolutely remember them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ipZtossPyM

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
What's the best program or course online for free ear training?

I saw Rick Beato plugging his on his youtube and I mean it looks fine but it's $120 and I feel like given what I know about the internet there's probably one 90% as good for free or even like sub-$10 is fine if it's an app or something

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Musictheory.net has ear training exercises for free

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Functional Ear Trainer is the one I've had recommended.

I don't use it of course because ear training is more difficult than learning whole songs, and I'm not doing that either.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Functional Ear Trainer is the one I've had recommended.

I don't use it of course because ear training is more difficult than learning whole songs, and I'm not doing that either.

Haha yeah I just figured like at least ear training is, with headphones, something you can pretty much do anywhere in as short of time periods as you want potentially

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Stefan Prodan posted:

I saw Rick Beato plugging his on his youtube and I mean it looks fine but it's $120 and I feel like given what I know about the internet there's probably one 90% as good for free or even like sub-$10 is fine if it's an app or something

https://tonedear.com/ear-training/intervals just do this in small bursts throughout the day, and don't beat yourself up about getting tons of them wrong at first.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Any songwriters/aspiring songwriters in here?

Not sure how many of you lurk or post in CC since it's so focused on prose/visual art forms, but if you need some motivation for working on stuff, come join us in CC for Script Frenzy during the month of April! The challenge is to write a 100 page script in 30 days: musicals, rock operas, one man shows, cabarets and the like* all count!

* technically your traditional operas count too but they're basically music wrapped up in a vague semblance of a script (unless you're doing light opera, or something like Sweeney Todd) so getting to a 100 page libretto for an opera may be difficult :v:

Most of the people participating so far are screenwriters, but I'll be writing a musical. If you're looking for a new creative challenge, it'd be awesome to have other songwriters to talk shop with in CC. Also collaboration is allowed, so if you're feeling confident on the songwriting front but less so on the script writing side, :justpost: in the thread and maybe you'll find a librettist/bookwriter who's open to a collaboration!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

creamcorn posted:

https://tonedear.com/ear-training/intervals just do this in small bursts throughout the day, and don't beat yourself up about getting tons of them wrong at first.

This is really good, thanks.

I've been using an app called Earforge and I was convinced that they had the wrong chords somehow. I'm getting the same number of misses on this site so I guess it's just my ears. :smith:

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Stefan Prodan posted:

I tried a few - I'm using Earpeggio right now on iOS. I'm just using it for a few minutes a day of playing a subset of intervals either descending or ascending and having me identify them and it works great for that. It has a bunch of other modes, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any recommended apps for Android? I know there are a ton on the Play store, but even with ratings, it's tough to know which ones are truly worth it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

What would be a good or novel way to play completely random samples on stage?

I do ambient music and I want to make it a thing that I improvise to long vocal samples and sfx without knowing what will come next.

I guess I could just load up a randomized playlist on my phone or PC but wanted to come up with something a little more novel. And be able to have the samples loop and overlap one another.

Do basic samplers do this?

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 13, 2021

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you use Ableton Live you could put each sound into a drumrack, then use a random arpeggiator at an insanely slow rate to play them. If you set them all to the same choke group when the next one starts it will cut off the previous sample if it's still playing, but if you want overlaps just ignore the choke groups

Alternatively, you could do a similar trick on any sampler that allows you to multisample, I'm sure there's some freebies out there but I will do this for drums/percussion on Maschine- I learned it on Groove Agent in Cubase but the principle is the same regardless what you use, whether that's something drum oriented or more traditional like Kontakt or Live's Sampler.

Set each of your sounds to a different velocity, so you can have up to 127 if you want, then either by playing your 'trigger' at different velocities, using a midi modifier that generates random velocities on keypress (the best way to avoid repeats), or possibly creative use of a very slow rate s+h lfo/similar, each time you play your trigger a different sample will play.

Hopefully this makes sense.
My old bassist had a pedal you could load 12 sounds into on an SD card that you could set to random, but it was pretty costly for something so relatively limited.

Edit: Rupert Buttermilk I have the demo of Caustic on my phone (Samsung S10e) for quick idea taking or messing around. It just means you can't save projects and limits some exporting stuff I think, but it always 'remembers' where you were when you shut it. I havent had any problems with it crashing or anything like that at all, been using it for a few years across various devices. Full version isn't expensive.

Föř something more full featured (though I think a tablet is a must) Cubasis is apparently real good and not far off a pocket version of Cubase.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 13, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Edit: Rupert Buttermilk I have the demo of Caustic on my phone (Samsung S10e) for quick idea taking or messing around. It just means you can't save projects and limits some exporting stuff I think, but it always 'remembers' where you were when you shut it. I havent had any problems with it crashing or anything like that at all, been using it for a few years across various devices. Full version isn't expensive.

Föř something more full featured (though I think a tablet is a must) Cubasis is apparently real good and not far off a pocket version of Cubase.

Thanks! I have Caustic and FL Mobile, and I have yet to really dive into either, but I was mainly thinking about one-off synth/musical training apps. I in no way made that clear, sorry :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 13, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, I'm just wondering where the best (preferably online, but books are good too) repositories of sheet music are?

One important thing to note though, is that the instrument I'll be using is a hurdy gurdy - once it's finished being built and shipped, that is. (Should be here in a few months)
So I'm currently looking more towards traditional stuff for it, like medieval and renaissance music so I can get to grips with the gurdy, before I try anything more fancy.
(Also sea shanties too, actually. Since I've been big on Sea of Thieves lately! :D I'mhoping to play stuff like 'Bosun Bill' and 'We Shall Sail Together' at some point)

Bonus points if there's lead+backing sheets I guess, since a friend of mine also commissioned a hurdy gurdy not long after I did, so we might try playing together

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

IMSLP has a bunch.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Siivola posted:

IMSLP has a bunch.

Thanks! I'll have to give a few of those a go - especially High Germany, seeing as that name is in English, so I can actually remember it! :D I've also found this shanty list on MusicNotes.com, which seems decent - found a couple of candidates that I'd like to play on there, already.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I have a dumb question. I write electronic/video game music in a sequencing program used mostly for sheet music creation called Sibelius (one day I'll upgrade to whatever professionals use, but for now using this is the best way I know to be productive). It's working out okay generally, but recently I've got this melody stuck in my head for a track and I'm hearing it as a real stinky, edgy tenor sax solo. Unfortunately the tenor sax sound in Sibelius is a loving joke, unsurprisingly, so there's no way I can use that.

However, I've found that I can whistle the melody and make it sound pretty much exactly like I want it to, with grace notes, vibrato, and other stylistic stuff that would be super hard to program into the actual music.

So my question is: Do you think I could whistle the melody, then take that audio into something like Audacity and gently caress around with it until it either sounds like a tenor sax or just like a cool synth in general, and then mix it all together for the final product? Or will it just sound like hosed up whistling sounds no matter what I do to it? If this is a viable avenue to explore, what kind of effects could/should I mess with?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I dunno how to make it sound specifically like a sax but distortion, bitcrushing, reverb, maybe subtle chorusing would be where I'd start. Formant filters too.
Do you think you'd be able to whistle it an octave lower (or higher?!) and then Pitchshift it back to the correct octave? If you can then the weirdass artifacts introduced by that would probably work.
Hell, if you can borrow a Whammy pedal you could record yourself whistling through that set to a different octave, then transpose that recording in the software.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 22, 2021

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

timp posted:

I have a dumb question. I write electronic/video game music in a sequencing program used mostly for sheet music creation called Sibelius (one day I'll upgrade to whatever professionals use, but for now using this is the best way I know to be productive). It's working out okay generally, but recently I've got this melody stuck in my head for a track and I'm hearing it as a real stinky, edgy tenor sax solo. Unfortunately the tenor sax sound in Sibelius is a loving joke, unsurprisingly, so there's no way I can use that.

However, I've found that I can whistle the melody and make it sound pretty much exactly like I want it to, with grace notes, vibrato, and other stylistic stuff that would be super hard to program into the actual music.

So my question is: Do you think I could whistle the melody, then take that audio into something like Audacity and gently caress around with it until it either sounds like a tenor sax or just like a cool synth in general, and then mix it all together for the final product? Or will it just sound like hosed up whistling sounds no matter what I do to it? If this is a viable avenue to explore, what kind of effects could/should I mess with?

I don't know if this helps, but you could take a page from the Beatles and use a kazoo, comb and paper, or cupped hand noises with some light distortion and just mix it in really well. (See "Lady Madonna")

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 22, 2021

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Sibelius is for sheet music, so of course it’s gonna sound like rear end. You could use a free DAW like Reaper which has better sounds and then buy a woodwinds or sax sample library, but that gets expensive quick so honestly I’d write it out in Sibelius and pay a sax player friend 100-200$ to play it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

https://twitter.com/HanoiHantrakul/status/1258803013948342272?s=20

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jazz Marimba posted:

Sibelius is for sheet music, so of course it’s gonna sound like rear end.
Sibelius has vst support afaik

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

:aaa:

I think this will do quite nicely. Thanks everybody for the responses!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sibelius has vst support afaik

it does! but it’ll never allow you the control over the sound output that any basic daw will

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hello. i have been using ableton on a macbook pro from 2015 as both my main composing /producing setup and for live performances. one of my main touring jobs involves live electro-acoustic ambient soundtrack work for a stage show. my typical setup is running a bunch of loops on ableton and playing mandolin or keyboard instruments that run through a focusrite interface into the laptop. pretty basic stuff. ive done hundreds of these shows with this same laptop, which i also use for all kinds of other production work at home, and its been very stable and great the whole time

however it is now this year finally coming towards the end of its time, it creaks and moans, its been a bit banged up on the road, big new softsynths like the most recent version of massive give it a heart a attack, and i spend half of my time working freezing tracks and trying to get the cpu to stop crunching. its time for a new machine

however, also, im pretty close to broke. ive been looking at non-apple options and some are within reach a few months from now. a new macbook pro is not

my question is, does anyone make music with a non-apple laptop on stage and have it regularly like.. work every time without crashing or needing various updates and poo poo? i used pc's until the late 00's and they were just not stable, ive heard they are better now but basically just wondering if anyone here actually uses pc's in your live setup, what you use and how it goes

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Sorry I don't have any advice on that specific question, but :hfive: still-using-a-2015-MBP crew. I threw a new 2TB SSD and 16GB of RAM in mine and it's still mostly doing what I want, but the fan runs so hard that it sounds like I'm vacuuming half the time. Challenging to get clean recordings under those circumstances. I'm probably gonna get some sort of new system running on Silicon in the next year or so, whenever the audio software companies get caught up.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

timp posted:

I'm here to provide an update—I went ahead and just paid a real live tenor sax player to play the part :shobon: But I still don't regret spending a lot of time on my whistle-sax track, because I was able to give it to the player as a style emulation guide of sorts.

So now I have this nice, high quality tenor sax line that fits over my electronic funk ensemble. The thing I was sorta worried about has already happened, where the comparative sound quality of the real sax is wiping the rest of the track right out of the frame, so to speak. Could anybody share any quick tips on EQing a live instrument to fit better with electronics? I imagine I need some degree of compression, some reverb and/or delay, and probably other things that I wouldn't even know to mention.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

timp posted:

I'm here to provide an update—I went ahead and just paid a real live tenor sax player to play the part :shobon: But I still don't regret spending a lot of time on my whistle-sax track, because I was able to give it to the player as a style emulation guide of sorts.

So now I have this nice, high quality tenor sax line that fits over my electronic funk ensemble. The thing I was sorta worried about has already happened, where the comparative sound quality of the real sax is wiping the rest of the track right out of the frame, so to speak. Could anybody share any quick tips on EQing a live instrument to fit better with electronics? I imagine I need some degree of compression, some reverb and/or delay, and probably other things that I wouldn't even know to mention.

Maybe something like this would help. At least it would guide you towards what frequencies are where certain things are found, so you could enhance or 'dehance' those as necessarily.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm having a weird issue and need some advice.

Backstory: I bought a new guitar online (Baritone Ibanez Iron Label) because I couldn't find it on store locally.
I've had no issues with it so far (from what I can tell, I'm not electronically inclined), but whenever I plug the guitar into a Saturnworks parallel blender that I also bought last year I run into a weird noise issue.

The pedal itself is a parallel blender that has 4 channels + a master bypass switch that also has a wet/dry blend that can be thrown over the other channels. . I've had no issues with the other effects in the chain, but the primary wet/dry blend channel which is solely for clean tone just produces low noise whenever I play something.

Here is the interesting part though, every once in a while I'll move the cable around in the input jack, and sometimes (very rarely) I hear the wet/dry blend kick in, but it's only for a second. I've tested this on three cables now and the effect is the same.

I'm just wondering, could this be an issue with my guitar input jack itself, or should I instead focus on just getting the pedal checked out?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Does the guitar have active pickups?
Could be if it does the stereo jack to switch the 9v on/off when plugged in is shorting the input on the pedal making it switch.
If it doesn't than nevermind.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Thumposaurus posted:

Does the guitar have active pickups?
Could be if it does the stereo jack to switch the 9v on/off when plugged in is shorting the input on the pedal making it switch.
If it doesn't than nevermind.

It actually does have active EMG's in it!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

So I guess the easy way to test this hypothesis out is to just use a guitar with passive pickups?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

this is kinda-video, kinda-music related: I want to make some instructional videos where I can toss a chord progression or some notation up on the screen. What's a decent, cheap-ish program that will allow me to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Lightworks used to be the best free NLE, now the free tier limits output to 720p so it's DaVinci Resolve

The grognard answer is video filters in ffmpeg or AviSynth