Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Nevermind, pulled the trigger on an Aeron.

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

$2,299.99

:captainpop:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It looks like something you'd see if rural Kentucky had a tech start-up.

Also AFAIK Wayfair just buy container loads of Chinese furniture, invent a brand name for it and mark it up horrendously. E.g. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Luxury-CEO-solid-wood-leather-executive_60372409228.html

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ffycchi posted:

$2,299.99

I am in awe of that chair. Just an absolute unit. I bet it weighs more than the heaviest person it's rated for :allears:

I can feel myself sweating just by LOOKING at it. "Yeah, I want to make this chair THICCCC. Let's add MORE memory foam under the leather!" "Sir, if you add this much memory foam . . . it's never been tested before, but the simulation says that the user will overheat and die from their body heat alon-" "I SAID MORE. MEMORY. FOAM!" " . . . yessir."

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That is so drat ugly.......I can't wait to see what type of classless morons buy it.

Also shout out to ErgoDirect and Office Master in SCAL that quickly sent me a new JR-77m adjustable arm under warranty (old one locked up and spit out plastic bits) for the Chief Wiggums cop chair I got from them a few years ago.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

That is so drat ugly.......I can't wait to see what type of classless morons buy it.

I can see the same tired example passed around for evil executive characters on daytime tv.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Zarin posted:

I am in awe of that chair. Just an absolute unit. I bet it weighs more than the heaviest person it's rated for :allears:

I can feel myself sweating just by LOOKING at it. "Yeah, I want to make this chair THICCCC. Let's add MORE memory foam under the leather!" "Sir, if you add this much memory foam . . . it's never been tested before, but the simulation says that the user will overheat and die from their body heat alon-" "I SAID MORE. MEMORY. FOAM!" " . . . yessir."

I can hear some mid level exec saying all of this. In complete seriousness.

Edit: also you're loving hilarious mate. I cracked up in the office reading this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Feels like they had the idea to take a Victorian style wood and leather chair design and add all the modern convinces. Also they were on drugs.

This sort of thing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

As someone mentioned in the twitter comments, the base looks suspiciously like Umbrella Corp. logo. :v:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Not a true goonthrone when this exists

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

halokiller posted:

Not a true goonthrone when this exists

This one is an entire posting station, not a mere chair.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ffycchi posted:

$2,299.99

Only a 5 year warranty tho :fail:

Keyser_Soze posted:

Cut the price in half and offer at least a 10 year warranty and I will be that classless moron.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is it even possible for that kind of padding to last 10 years?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Cut the price in half and offer at least a 10 year warranty and I will be that classless moron.

Thanks Ants posted:

Also AFAIK Wayfair just buy container loads of Chinese furniture, invent a brand name for it and mark it up horrendously. E.g. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Luxury-CEO-solid-wood-leather-executive_60372409228.html

Just buy 5 of them for half of the cost of the Wayfair listing and deck your whole house in ugly 80s office villain chairs.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Thanks Ants posted:

It looks like something you'd see if rural Kentucky had a tech start-up.

The fact that it's 'Genuine' leader is an instant no from me.

When talking about leather, Genuine is not synonymous with 'Real', it's a specific grade of leader.

Specifically, the lowest possible grade of leather. It's garbage leather that will flake and fall apart in a year or less.

Whoever named that grade 'genuine' was doing a huge service to people who wanted to market garbage products as high quality to people who didn't know any better.

It's why every belt you have ever bought that fell apart in less than a year was marketed as 'genuine leather'

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Ffycchi posted:

$2,299.99

This is cartoonishly bad. gently caress if I ever become CEO of a company this has to be the chair I use. OMG WAIT there's more of them!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ILikeVoltron posted:

This is cartoonishly bad. gently caress if I ever become CEO of a company this has to be the chair I use. OMG WAIT there's more of them!

The seams in the center of the star base REALLY sketch me out.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

The seams in the center of the star base REALLY sketch me out.

Don't worry, it's just instant disassembly when you (don't) need it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Mistikman posted:

The fact that it's 'Genuine' leader is an instant no from me.

When talking about leather, Genuine is not synonymous with 'Real', it's a specific grade of leader.

Specifically, the lowest possible grade of leather. It's garbage leather that will flake and fall apart in a year or less.

Whoever named that grade 'genuine' was doing a huge service to people who wanted to market garbage products as high quality to people who didn't know any better.

It's why every belt you have ever bought that fell apart in less than a year was marketed as 'genuine leather'

This is an excellent post. Thank you!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Don't worry, it's just instant disassembly when you (don't) need it.

The chair version of this smilie: :dice:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What am I looking for if I want to purchase a chair online or possibly buying it second hand online? I'm based in Malaysia and while normally I would just go out and sit on chairs to try but our COVID numbers are very high and I don't want to risk it. My current chair is a (heavily discounted at the time but still bad) gaming chair and it is falling apart already just three years into its life.

I found this post a couple pages back:

Ffycchi posted:

Chair reviews collection

It is a great guide on general quality of whether something is good or bad so I have been cross referencing it with my local online shops and an excellent starting point. Yet I'm not sure what exactly am I benefiting with if I aim to get a Herman Miller which is almost RM6000 as opposed to a Steelcase Leap which is about RM3000. Like are the materials that much better or is the comfort level that much better? The Miller is steeeeeep. So is the Leap, but it's half as steep.

I picked out the Herman Miller (although I found Aeron, not Mirra) and the Leap as examples because I found the two chairs in local shops. Lots of brands aren't represented here, but if I try to look for ergonomic chairs I can find stuff like the GTChair Vida which is substantially cheaper but I don't know much about the brand and can't find reviews...

I realise research online only is a big ask but we are at 6000 cases a day and I really don't want to go out if I can help it. And it has to be now-ish because my chair is falling apart.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
this isn't quite a computer chair question (in that it's not about a chair at all, although i'll need a chair eventually) but i couldn't figure out where to post it

i'm finally moving to a bigger space and i think i'll be able to get a standing desk, but i'm looking for one that can toggle between sitting and standing (with like a switch or whatever). but a lot of the ones i've seen online don't look particularly good and i'm trying to find something that's both functional and still looks decent. i'm currently just using a black ikea desk (basically using this except i took the lower door off so my computer can be exposed. a lot of desks are just a flat table that can go up and down and i'm trying to find one that looks a bit more...desk-like.

plus i'm worried about keeping my tower on top of the desk because that seems like a disaster waiting to happen, and i don't want it to just sit on the ground with exposed wires because I ahve a rabbit and he will 100% try and eat them. any suggestions?

also i'll need a new chair at some point so i will read this for chair suggestions too

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Artelier posted:

What am I looking for if I want to purchase a chair online or possibly buying it second hand online? I'm based in Malaysia and while normally I would just go out and sit on chairs to try but our COVID numbers are very high and I don't want to risk it. My current chair is a (heavily discounted at the time but still bad) gaming chair and it is falling apart already just three years into its life.

It is a great guide on general quality of whether something is good or bad so I have been cross referencing it with my local online shops and an excellent starting point. Yet I'm not sure what exactly am I benefiting with if I aim to get a Herman Miller which is almost RM6000 as opposed to a Steelcase Leap which is about RM3000. Like are the materials that much better or is the comfort level that much better? The Miller is steeeeeep. So is the Leap, but it's half as steep.

I picked out the Herman Miller (although I found Aeron, not Mirra) and the Leap as examples because I found the two chairs in local shops. Lots of brands aren't represented here, but if I try to look for ergonomic chairs I can find stuff like the GTChair Vida which is substantially cheaper but I don't know much about the brand and can't find reviews...

I realise research online only is a big ask but we are at 6000 cases a day and I really don't want to go out if I can help it. And it has to be now-ish because my chair is falling apart.

Chairs are a personal comfort thing so you'll never be sure if something is right until you have the opportunity to sit in it. The Aeron is a highly popularized model (to the point that HM reused the name without even a number addition when they modernized the design years back) which might explain the higher pricing. The Leap might be cheaper if it's the v1 model and not the v2.

If you want something that lasts, always pay attention to the warranty: the big names all have them in the 10 year range. For something with the right ergonomics to support your body, there's no real answer besides finding one to test sit because everyone is different. Even something as popular as the Aeron has complaints (the plastic frame for the seat mesh digging into legs is a common one).

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Regarding standing desks, I like the Uplift, but there are several good ones out there you can read reviews about (Fully is another). For the desktop computer problem, one common way to solve it is with an attachment below the desk, so it moves up and down with your desk and stays a constant distance from your monitor. I know this is an optional addon with Uplift. However, I've had no problem leaving mine on the floor, just had to make sure my cables were long enough first (of course, I don't have a rabbit).

Artelier posted:

The top Herman Miller chairs are in the same category as the top Steelcase chairs, so it's really a matter of things like personal preference, body type, price, and features. Different people of different shapes find different chairs comfortable... I personally really like the Leap. Note that there's a v1 and v2 of the Leap, the v1 is much older and not as great. If these are new chairs you're talking about, it would seem like the Leap is priced much better in your market, and I certainly wouldn't pay double for anything from Herman Miller. If they're used, then condition will be a major factor to consider as well.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 26, 2021

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
christ those desks are expensive. i should have expected that.

alright maybe i get a lovely convertable stand for my monitor/keyboard/mouse and deal with an actual convertable desk later.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Alright, so right now the best option I have that doesn't break the bank too much is the 2021 model of the Leap v2...or the Leap v2...in leather. The first one is fabric. Is there any pros and cons to either that I need to be aware of? Fabric is about RM2800, leather is RM3700 so that's a big price difference. In my head, maybe leather is more comfy but more prone to smelling or tearing?

Both are by the same shop with 12 years warranty so it should last a while either way. Herman Miller stuff is all imported it seems, which is why it is twice as expensive on average

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The only reason to go leather is personal preference, a name brand like Steelcase uses durable fabrics so there's no difference in longevity - if anything, the fabric will last longer because it can suffer mistreatment better than leather can. In your particular context I think the fabric is also better because it handles better in a hot and humid climate like Malaysia if you're the type to go shirtless with just a fan pointed at you.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Thumbtacks posted:

christ those desks are expensive. i should have expected that.

alright maybe i get a lovely convertable stand for my monitor/keyboard/mouse and deal with an actual convertable desk later.

Well, maybe! It depends what you're looking for.

Office Depot has an electric sit/stand for $400: https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/358370/Realspace-Magellan-Performance-60-W-Electric/

It also comes in a pneumatic adjustment, which is currently $279.

I think there are other ways to go even cheaper, like getting a Husky hand-crank-adjustable table frame from Home Depot and putting a piece of wood over the top.

I have two of the Office Depot electric desks, and I really like them! While, I'm sure that some of the more expensive desks are a little sturdier at the top of the travel, I never felt like my desks had an egregious amount of sway in them at the top of the travel.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Artelier posted:

Steelcase makes some great chairs that compete with HM. The leap is a great chair but I would really recommend you always buy from a place with a return policy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks everyone, I decided to get the Leap v2 from an online store with 12 years warranty and 7 day return policy and I am now eagerly tracking its progress! It has reached the delivery hub near my home and I am willing it to be sent out now

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Leap is such an upgrade it's not even funny. My posture is already so much better and now my feet and arms are both significantly more comfortable. And thanks to the ergonomic settings, I am now suddenly a better FPS player too!

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Artelier posted:

The Leap is such an upgrade it's not even funny. My posture is already so much better and now my feet and arms are both significantly more comfortable. And thanks to the ergonomic settings, I am now suddenly a better FPS player too!

Joking aside posture actually can improve focus which quite literally can improve your gaming ability.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and try a Steelcase chair myself. In Massachusetts a bit outside of Boston, anyone know of a place to test one or good resellers etc? I saw there's a place called Red Thread which has a couple MA locations. I guess I'd have to call them and ask if it's cool for people to come and try a Steelcase chair or two, since it seems advertised towards office bulk sales etc?

Since I had bad luck with Ikea and Staples office chairs (hurting my back, leg numbness etc), I tried using a standing desk for some months two years ago. But I pretty much just use it for 5 mins or less now since that makes my back stiff as well. So as an interim setup I've been sitting on a wooden folding chair with some foam pads on it, with my TV as my PC monitor with 2x zoom.

I just need a good chair, the time has come.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 31, 2021

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ffycchi posted:

Ffycchi's Offical Sit your rear end down in a new chair post

10 year tier:
See previous answer

Alera Elusion Series(comes in mid back and high back, It comes in black and white as well.)
Price: $150-300
https://www.amazon.com/Alera-ALEEL42ME10B-Elusion-Mid-Back-Multifunction/dp/B003G4OJK4/
Do not get the series II, I repeat DO NOT GET THE SERIES II, it basically takes away all the ergonomic adjustment that makes this good.

If you're on a budget stop looking. As I've stated in many previous posts, no you won't get "SUPREME SPACE AGE MATERIALS" or a great warranty...It's a chair. Dare I say a good chair. Get a pair of 20$ memory foam armrest covers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8F9IYC/ if you're too lazy to do the research yourself.) And its a chair that will last you a good amount of time in a good amount of comfort.

One of the big benefits of this chair is its adjustment, My 5'1" 100 pound wife can fit on it. My 6'1" 200 Pound arse can sit on it. My 6'7" 300 pound friend can sit on it(though not recommended? if youre that size id really recommend getting a HM/SC...or a gym membership....You're hitting the edge of what you can do with physics chairs at this point mate.)

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Bought the high back version of this with a head rest. It should be delivered by the end of this week and hopefully it works. At least I know it won't shed PU leather scraps all over the drat place like my completely dead Office Max chair.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and try a Steelcase chair myself. In Massachusetts a bit outside of Boston, anyone know of a place to test one or good resellers etc? I saw there's a place called Red Thread which has a couple MA locations. I guess I'd have to call them and ask if it's cool for people to come and try a Steelcase chair or two, since it seems advertised towards office bulk sales etc?

Since I had bad luck with Ikea and Staples office chairs (hurting my back, leg numbness etc), I tried using a standing desk for some months two years ago. But I pretty much just use it for 5 mins or less now since that makes my back stiff as well. So as an interim setup I've been sitting on a wooden folding chair with some foam pads on it, with my TV as my PC monitor with 2x zoom.

I just need a good chair, the time has come.

I have a Leap V1 I just re-upholstered in Boston. I bought a Gesture before re-upholstering the Leap. Any interest in checking out the Leap?

The leap is actually more comfortable.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

MH Knights posted:

Bought the high back version of this with a head rest. It should be delivered by the end of this week and hopefully it works. At least I know it won't shed PU leather scraps all over the drat place like my completely dead Office Max chair.

Let me know your thoughts on it as CEO and chief marketer (kidding obviously)

Seriously though take your time adjusting it. It's great but it does take a bit with the sheer amount of adjustments.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

VulgarandStupid posted:

I have a Leap V1 I just re-upholstered in Boston. I bought a Gesture before re-upholstering the Leap. Any interest in checking out the Leap?

The leap is actually more comfortable.

That's mighty kind of ya, thanks. I might take you up on that sometime, I haven't checked around yet.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MH Knights posted:

Saw they had a high back thanks to your post! Went ahead and dropped the money on a new one. The one I have is a mighty fine beast built around 2004 I got at an office liquidator 10 years ago.

Gave up trying to find a place within an hour to try out a couple different Herman Miller and Steelcases so I'm hoping 90% off the cost and the word of goons will make up for the difference.

/aaaaaand it got here a day later.... weird. Sitting my rear end in it now, will post updates....

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 4, 2021

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I got the Aeron work chair type C (goon size) with headrest.

Some of the others came close and it was expensive.

I thought it would pinch my legs reclined and it did, but simply lowering your seat fixes it, I never even thought of that simple solution.

Good job salesman, I got your 2nd most expensive chair because of that tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Used aerons are where it’s at now give me $10million for my .com startup please