Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
All the weird zigs and zags is just them trying to get a free wifi connection without getting target locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Rah! posted:

US government on UFOs:

they are fake

maybe they are real

no theyre fake

some are real

they arent ours or anything we can explain

theres no way to prove if they are aliens or not we dont know

they are maybe not aliens

but they maybe could be aliens

its not aliens

maybe its china or russia

or aliens

not aliens

so strange

:smugdon:

*thinking harder than i've ever thought in my life*

the US government may have made the UFOs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah, I'm shocked that angle isn't getting more play but maybe it would on the day the report actually comes out. Right now it's getting like 5 minute spots as a jokey topic on news shows when it should be a horrifying revelation for a country that spends nearly a trillion dollars on defense.

Also curious to see how the new-era grifter crew like Cornell and Elizondo spin this. Probably time for them to show they have the goods or join the noise

Elizondo said something like "if the NYT story is true..." which is like wait a sec dude aren't you supposed to be the guy who saw some of the research firsthand? Why wouldn't you be the one to confirm the story?

guess he just wants clicks

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

some alphabet agency spying on their wives, disguising the unregistered fleet of drones as big silver flying saucers and freaking the brains of the navy yokels

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

*thinking harder than i've ever thought in my life*

the US government may have made the UFOs

if they did im not sure how they've been keeping it a secret for 80 years and not used it at all during that time to take over the world, and why they keep risking their super secret program by testing them in public instead of at area 69

its definitely china

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rah! posted:

if they did im not sure how they've been keeping it a secret for 80 years and not used it at all during that time to take over the world, and why they keep risking their super secret program by testing them in public instead of at area 69

its definitely china

if it's china why haven't they anti-gravity'd a rock the size of manhattan at us by now and called it a day

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Extremely believable that China just magically figured out a way to break physics decades ago without any other scientists in the world figuring this out

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bullfrog posted:

Extremely believable that China just magically figured out a way to break physics decades ago without any other scientists in the world figuring this out

And are using that technology just to spy on the same jets we've been using for decades

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

And are using that technology just to spy on the same jets we've been using for decades

i don't follow this logic, there was lots of interesting things going on there if all they were doing was sucking down em data while flying around. you've got cutting edge radars, comms, all sorts of stuff you can be sucking up data on while flying your drones around. lots more going on than just the f18s zipping about.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
simulation admins I’m telling ya

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

It just doesn't pass the smell test, right?

Welcome back btw!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Or maybe they've just figured out how to fool American radar without breaking the laws of physics? Come on this isn't hard

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tighclops posted:

Or maybe they've just figured out how to fool American radar without breaking the laws of physics? Come on this isn't hard

The strategic misplay of that being a possibility and the pentagon okaying a report that says "hey it works" is so baffling as to be completely believable I suppose, but then you're also still talking like phyiscal holograms and other weird sci-fi poo poo
there is no easy answer unless they're still giving pilots LSD

e:

Zisky posted:

It just doesn't pass the smell test, right?

Welcome back btw!

:tipshat:

I basically begged for clemency when the report news dropped. I needed to froth about it with this crew

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Jun 4, 2021

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Tighclops posted:

sure but spoofing FLIR and actual visual contact at the same time seems a bit harder!

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Ghost birds are having a HUGE party and we are NOT invited!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
oumuamua was an interstellar lightsail probe parked right in our path

tabby's star is an alien superstructure kugelblitz under construction

uap's that are not of terrestrial origin are ancient, autonomous robotic probes just stochastically boucning around snappin' some pics and sending the data back to long-dead civilizations

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

yes, thats correct, oceanic is also the name of the short story collection, sorry about the confusion. both stories do take place in the “amalgam” continuity howmstever.

No worries, any excuse to chat about Greg Egan. If y'all like imaginative Sci-fi with a hard math background Egan has a alot of his works on his adorably Web 1.0 website: https://www.gregegan.net/index.html

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

uap's that are not of terrestrial origin are ancient, autonomous robotic probes just stochastically boucning around snappin' some pics and sending the data back to long-dead civilizations

That's so profoundly sad and poignant it's like a Tarkovsky film as a sentence

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
FYI I’m one of the tic tac pilots. sorry for freaking everyone out, I was drunk driving it and got carried away.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's wild. The simplest explanation is that China or Russia has developed plasma and hologram tech decades, if not a century beyond what we have, and is using it to troll us. That by itself would be a revolution in physics that upends American military supremacy. The biggest story of the century even without aliens.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

The simplest explanation

lol at how many times this exact phrase has been used in this thread

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol at how many times this exact phrase has been used in this thread

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

at bare minimum, the report is fascinating for both completely out-of-the-blue reversing 70+ years of federal UFO policy and for not even trying to provide credible explanations for some of the sightings

it's one thing to want to normalize reporting unidentified phenomenon on the off-chance it might be chinese tech, but it's quite another to not even try to cover for the fact that you don't have a goddamn clue what's going on in the skies over the country

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
the simplest explanation is aliens. sorry

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

No worries, any excuse to chat about Greg Egan. If y'all like imaginative Sci-fi with a hard math background Egan has a alot of his works on his adorably Web 1.0 website: https://www.gregegan.net/index.html

some of it is completely impenetrable like his story about discovering some inconsistency in fundamental mathematics that belies the existence of a dark universe with different math. but if you can grasp what he means then youll have a good time. heres three different screenshots i took while reading all his short stories, the first impenetrable, the second extremely cool, and the third simply amusing

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
The problem is that the established "simplest" explanations (observer error, deliberate hoax using conventional technology, domestic secret tech) all seem not to fit the current evidence. Even filtering out all of the sightings for which the above are the most likely explanation (which is the vast majority of such incidents), the statements of government/military officials recently seem inconsistent with explanation 3.

Secret foreign tech is by far the "likeliest" explanation, and that's still a shocking development in and of itself.

Are there confirmed examples of historical technology suppression where something as revolutionary as the capabilities displayed during some incidents/sightings has been hidden from the public for over a decade? In any country?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's wild. The simplest explanation is that China or Russia has developed plasma and hologram tech decades, if not a century beyond what we have, and is using it to troll us. That by itself would be a revolution in physics that upends American military supremacy. The biggest story of the century even without aliens.

It's very weird and I hope we get more than "we don't know" just because it's driving me crazy now

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The problem is that the established "simplest" explanations (observer error, deliberate hoax using conventional technology, domestic secret tech) all seem not to fit the current evidence. Even filtering out all of the sightings for which the above are the most likely explanation (which is the vast majority of such incidents), the statements of government/military officials recently seem inconsistent with explanation 3.

Secret foreign tech is by far the "likeliest" explanation, and that's still a shocking development in and of itself.

Are there confirmed examples of historical technology suppression where something as revolutionary as the capabilities displayed during some incidents/sightings has been hidden from the public for over a decade? In any country?

The Antikythera mechanism

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The biggest counterargument to this, and it isn't really a direct one, is that China or Russia has this tech and this is what they choose to do with it.

I'll stand by my pet theory on this that a lot of what's happening is some secret military tech, but that it requires some insane component, like one ship requires all of the Boron-238 that China can produce in a decade or some such bullshit, so while they have it, it's not something that can scale up to mass production and they're super concerned about losing it.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

All of these simple explanations that involve China conveniently neglect the similar reports going back 50+ years (and way longer if you want to get all ancient aliens with it, which I don't), something that's been noted over and over itt.

I don't understand why people continuously posit it must be foreign tech "decades ahead of ours" when it would actually mean 100 years ahead of ours, which sounds pretty complicated and unreasonable when you think about it.

Look maybe the simplest explanation is aliens.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zisky posted:

All of these simple explanations that involve China conveniently neglect the similar reports going back 50+ years (and way longer if you want to get all ancient aliens with it, which I don't), something that's been noted over and over itt.

I don't understand why people continuously posit it must be foreign tech "decades ahead of ours" when it would actually mean 100 years ahead of ours, which sounds pretty complicated and unreasonable when you think about it.

Look maybe the simplest explanation is aliens.

the simplest explanation is extradimensional terrestrial wildlife

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

good news: we have discovered a new boundless source of energy that can power physics-breaking crazy poo poo

bad news: the source is the souls of children

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Azathoth posted:

so while they have it, it's not something that can scale up to mass production and they're super concerned about losing it.

So concerned about losing it that they fly it over US ships/installations every day for years?

It just doesn't make sense for it to be foreign tech.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I wouldn't say it was the same because if that's what this is it's basically a vertical line in terms of how much it changes things, but Have Blue/F-117 projects were very secret for a decade or more but people were seeing them and knew it was probably a thing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zisky posted:

So concerned about losing it that they fly it over US ships/installations every day for years?

It just doesn't make sense for it to be foreign tech.

Yeah, if it's something precious there's absolutely no reason to be flaunting it and losing the advantage of it being a surprise

WEH posted:

I wouldn't say it was the same because if that's what this is it's basically a vertical line in terms of how much it changes things, but Have Blue/F-117 projects were very secret for a decade or more but people were seeing them and knew it was probably a thing.

And this is the best analogue I could find as well and yeah, even that only made it a few years in active production staying secret.

poo poo's weird.
I'm loving buzzing on how strange this all is

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
gonna be real cool when we finally do have full disclosure and normal folk start making regular contact with burning wheels of fire, light, and eyes as the aliens and their craft themselves are no different from the description of angels of yore

the aliens ARE the UFOs

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Right now the US Military and Intelligence Community is saying that they're under secret attack by Cuban/Russian/Maybe Chinese Mind Beams.

They shut down an embassy over the Mind Beams. They're saying that people are getting attacked by Mind Beams just outside the White House in the middle of one of the most militarized and secure cities on earth. They have no idea what the technology is, why it is happening, or who truly is controlling it. But they're eager and willing to blame the Scary Countries for it without evidence.

So if the military had even an inkling of a reason to blame the Scary Countries for UAPs why would they refuse to do so?

They're already admitting they can't stop the Mind Beam attacks in DC, so I don't find the idea that the military would be too embarrassed to admit it was Chinese secret tech if they thought they could get away with it.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Yeah what I'm not so pumped for is all the UFO nuts that trade in other conspiracy theories to be validated enough to start mainstreaming the rest of their beliefs.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Zisky posted:

I don't understand why people continuously posit

me either. the report from congress is out in a few weeks. patience people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

In the modern era, nuclear weapons would be about the best example, first as the Manhattan Project and then again with the Soviet nuclear project. Both of those were utterly massive weapons projects that operated with remarkable secrecy, certainly from the general public, if not necessarily from the military and intelligence leadership of various countries. Stealth aircraft probably deserve a mention there as well, along with poo poo like the SR-71.

But as was pointed out, there's a huge difference between keeping those under wraps for as long as they did and the now 50-60+ year secrecy of something like what has been reported.

Like, just put out there something like "can hover and move against the wind silently". That poo poo has been reported since the 60s at a minimum and we still don't have something that can do that.