Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

That's one of the main reasons VMWare hasn't jumped in yet because the Windows 10 Arm stuff is kinda temporary at the moment. They'll let parallels play in that sandbox for a while but VMWare has big boy contracts with companies who would be rightly pissed if the virtualization rug got pulled out from under them.
I've wondered if Parallels knows anything or if it's just...Parallels being Parallels in terms of selling poo poo any way they can.

And to be more specific on the Windows Arm situation, basically it's only been for OEMs so far. They haven't sold licenses for end users at all and afaik haven't given any indication of opening it up like regular x86 Windows. Parallels is essentially relying on that preview (beta?) version to advertise Windows virtualization capability on Arm Macs.

I'm sure VMware will jump in immediately if/when it's actually officially cleared for use, but yeah until then, they're gonna be careful about it cause they actually give a poo poo about that stuff vs Parallels playing fast and loose with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

no suggestions for be guy asking about USB hubs but i am in a similar boat. it’s been like five years since the macbook went all USB C and no one has made a decent cheap hub yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I guess it depends what you mean by good and cheap. When I got my MBP in 2017 it was like $100CAD for any of the options. My friend was just in the market for one and she got one with more i/o and much more solid construction for $35, so seems like pretty good improvements

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

landgrabber posted:

no suggestions for be guy asking about USB hubs but i am in a similar boat. it’s been like five years since the macbook went all USB C and no one has made a decent cheap hub yet.

I think we've found your issue.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Just FYI, you can pick up a fairly new-ish Lenovo or HP ultra small form factor PC for ultra cheap, they are always cycling out of leases and run it headless remote desktop. Performance is not going to be great, but it's good enough for, probably not that worse than x86 Rosetta VM on the M1.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

They seemed to have ironed out all the firmware and macOS bugs with my ts3+ dock. It’s been working very reliably and I like it quite a bit. I personally wouldn’t gently caress with anything cheaper for work purposes

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i bought a $40 anker usb c hub. it will probably suck but maybe not

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

landgrabber posted:

i bought a $40 anker usb c hub. it will probably suck but maybe not

Anker is a good brand though :confused:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah everything I’ve bought from Anker has been super solid.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

arbybaconator posted:

tl;dr
Is there a single cable solution out there that can carry 2x Displayport, a few USB devices, and perhaps power to my MacBook so I can simplify this process?

Mac OS does not support MST so the only dock/dongle that will do two external displays are thunderbolt ones.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Can your work supply you with a remote desktop / VDI / whatever? It's very task-dependent but 99% of stuff can be done in a well implemented virtual desktop now with no noticeable lag.

They have citrix but it sucks. As long as Apple doesn’t drop support for the 2018 MacMini in like a year I’m sure I’ll be fine until someone comes up with a solution for windows on AS.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

track day bro! posted:

They have citrix but it sucks. As long as Apple doesn’t drop support for the 2018 MacMini in like a year I’m sure I’ll be fine until someone comes up with a solution for windows on AS.

Based on recent history, Apple has typically been supporting hardware on macOS for usually 7-8 years, and so I'd expect the 2018 Minis to see software updates through 2025 at least.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They have the 5 year rule for I think all their devices, so the earliest the 2018 Mini will stop getting feature support will be 2023.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I think the 5 year rule is mainly for their mobile devices?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

njsykora posted:

They have the 5 year rule for I think all their devices, so the earliest the 2018 Mini will stop getting feature support will be 2023.

It’s hardware five, not software. At least with macs.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I do wonder how many more full os releases intel macs will get and if they’ll cut them off a bit earlier than the usual 7-8 year OS/software support cycle

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Last Chance posted:

I do wonder how many more full os releases intel macs will get and if they’ll cut them off a bit earlier than the usual 7-8 year OS/software support cycle
Don’t forget that just because the computer can’t upgrade to the next OS doesn’t mean that the older one doesn’t get security updates for another year or two.

On my main work machines I’m almost always a full year behind. That was seriously useful with want a poo poo show Catalina was for awhile there.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Last Chance posted:

Given the way Intel have been acting towards Apple I'd honestly expect them to speed up the transition where supplies allow it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Small White Dragon posted:

So Steam currently lacks ARM support on MacOS, and in my experience, few games are available via the Mac App Store.

Should I expect that Rocksmith won’t work? Considering getting an M1 in the near future and really want to make sure that works.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Based on recent history, Apple has typically been supporting hardware on macOS for usually 7-8 years, and so I'd expect the 2018 Minis to see software updates through 2025 at least.

njsykora posted:

Whatever it is, isn't from when they were last sold? Technically the top end Intel one is still being sold so...however many years from wherever that gets replaced, rather than 2018.

Well technically the Intel ones got a refresh in early 2020, but that was just a pricing/storage configuration change iirc, not sure it they count that as a different generation.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

TraderStav posted:

Should I expect that Rocksmith won’t work? Considering getting an M1 in the near future and really want to make sure that works.

Steam still works in Rosetta but it lacks support for native ARM Mac games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

It works for me.

Small White Dragon posted:

So Steam currently lacks ARM support on MacOS, and in my experience, few games are available via the Mac App Store.

All my games work just as they did on the intel macs :shrug:

Quite a few “32 bit” games actually work as well but their store page hasn’t been updated so it will say it doesn’t work.

Being able to game on the M1 is pretty awesome and it doesn’t feel like the drat thing is gonna melt.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yes intel steam games work fine with Rosetta, I think the the poster was saying that steam doesn’t support non intel compiled games yet (arm games), but I have to imagine it will at some point.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks for the clarification! Checking that one off of the list!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Yes intel steam games work fine with Rosetta, I think the the poster was saying that steam doesn’t support non intel compiled games yet (arm games), but I have to imagine it will at some point.

If steam handles it the same way they did the 32 bit transition it will serve them just fine the store page just won’t ever be updated to reflect that lol.

Disco Elysium is M1 native so someone could check to make sure steam loads the correct version (It should).

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 6, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really hope the rumors of new MacBooks this summer are true. My current Windows laptop is severely broken and on its last legs and I think I'd like to get a MacBook next. I'm hoping the new ones come in the next month or two so I'm not stuck with the "do I buy a soon-to-be replaced model or keep using a busted computer and hoping it doesn't die on me" problem

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Harrow posted:

I really hope the rumors of new MacBooks this summer are true. My current Windows laptop is severely broken and on its last legs and I think I'd like to get a MacBook next. I'm hoping the new ones come in the next month or two so I'm not stuck with the "do I buy a soon-to-be replaced model or keep using a busted computer and hoping it doesn't die on me" problem

you'll find out in about 24 hours I'd assume.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I predict the MacBook Pro rumors will fall flat on their face and be dismissed as fanboy tulpa after the keynote, and we won't get a real announcement about them until a separate event in June.

Would love to be wrong about this though.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

I predict the MacBook Pro rumors will fall flat on their face and be dismissed as fanboy tulpa after the keynote, and we won't get a real announcement about them until a separate event in June.

Would love to be wrong about this though.

They’ve already announced a press thing right after the event, so your prediction is probably wrong.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LionArcher posted:

They’ve already announced a press thing right after the event, so your prediction is probably wrong.
Isn’t that just for the spatial audio stuff in Apple Music?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mercurius posted:

Isn’t that just for the spatial audio stuff in Apple Music?

Sure. They’re totally doing a press event for just that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
god I hope that cringey motherfucker prosser is right about colors on the Mac mini. Gimme a new G3 PowerMac Apple

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

god I hope that cringey motherfucker prosser is right about colors on the Mac mini. Gimme a new G3 PowerMac Apple

Prosser being right more than he’s wrong and driving Apple media crazy will never not be funny to me.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ok this is going to be a strange question.

can i take two of these: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

and put ethernet between them to create a very long thunderbolt 2 cable?

it doesn't actually need to be this. what i actually need is a 17 foot long thunderbolt 2 cable. lol. and quick.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Smythe posted:

ok this is going to be a strange question.

can i take two of these: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

and put ethernet between them to create a very long thunderbolt 2 cable?

it doesn't actually need to be this. what i actually need is a 17 foot long thunderbolt 2 cable. lol. and quick.

No. You'd just get an ethernet connection between the two systems. Thunderbolt is 20-40 times faster than gigabit ethernet.

You need an optical thunderbolt cable. It will cost several hundred dollars.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

No. You'd just get an ethernet connection between the two systems. Thunderbolt is 20-40 times faster than gigabit ethernet.

You need an optical thunderbolt cable. It will cost several hundred dollars.

son of a bitch. thank you

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
shoulda bought the usb-3 version of this audio interface. lmfao. so stupid.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Got you covered pal

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/992511-REG/optical_cables_aoc_mms4cvp5_5m20_thunderbolt_optical_cable_18.html/

Only $214.00! Such a deal! And a foot longer than you need!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

im so dumb. maybe i try this thunderbolt -> usb 3. mebes it will work. dont need throughput like at all, just control. hosed up. lol *dumps out huge sack of dongles* it dongle time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Had a friend who wanted to back up her 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro but she had somehow managed to fill up her 750 GB drive to the point where there was less than 30 GB free and it was continually crashing all the time due to the low disk space. She wanted it backed up before I could pop in a 1 TB drive.

She bought an external USB 3.0 one TB drive but we found out it would only connect at USB 2 speeds because that's what the 2011 had- USB 2.

She didn't want to wait several days for the backup to complete and I noted that the 2011 did have a Thunderbolt 1 port, so I looked around in my box of obso hardware and I found an old Kanex Thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter that I remember cursing Kanex for because it was like $129 when it first came out and it didn't work for me, I wound up using a Seagate Thunderbolt to SATA adapter that was originally only supposed to fit their own SATA drives, but it turned out you could use any SATA drive.

Figured I'd try it and the drive immediately mounted and dismounted, like drives did when I first got the Kanex a few years ago.

I went to their website and DL'ed the manual and I swear they added to the latest manual the one thing that probably would have made it work for me back in the day- they were now recommending you hook it up to a USB 3.0 hub, THEN hooking your device to that hub.

Hooked up an old Plugable USB 3 hub I had lying around and the drive stayed connected this time, and it only took most of one night to back it up.