Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Interesting. Wonder what the end game is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Fox posted:

Interesting. Wonder what the end game is like.

you probably fish

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I bet you right click something fierce, but maybe I’m thinking too big.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
A modern Monster Hunter MMO would be such a no brainer.

A Dark Souls MMO would also be interesting.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
wish i coudl have a mmo instead of a lobby to show off cash shop cosmetics while queued for a small instance

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ECHPsDvyC0KP6ldYRaeFtmR0mhwBVGckWEPcH_zNc7E/edit

someone compiled a bunch of dev talk from the Palia discord, in case anyone wants their expectations tempered

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

YES bread posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ECHPsDvyC0KP6ldYRaeFtmR0mhwBVGckWEPcH_zNc7E/edit

someone compiled a bunch of dev talk from the Palia discord, in case anyone wants their expectations tempered

quote:

Unique usernames? Probably not. Will likely do the USERNAME#1234 or similar
Back to the good old days of the Nintendo Wii.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Back to the good old days of the Nintendo Wii.

Tons of modern games do this now including Call of Duty and all Blizzard games.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

YES bread posted:

Instancing everything is what I figured. I get why they’re doing that, but it’s going to make it seem so much less like a “world”.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ehud posted:

Instancing everything is what I figured. I get why they’re doing that, but it’s going to make it seem so much less like a “world”.

Instancing is a dog poo poo mechanic that makes devs lives easier to be lazy. At a minimum in MMOs the overworld and cities should be a single instance. On a PvP world the whole thing should be a single instance so you can gank the poo poo out of people and steal their dungeons.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

socialsecurity posted:

Tons of modern games do this now including Call of Duty and all Blizzard games.

the ones with the most toxic user bases

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

the ones with the most toxic user bases

That still goes to League of Legends and Riot Games in general, yes?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

apostateCourier posted:

That still goes to League of Legends and Riot Games in general, yes?

I don't know, Blizz has backed off on moderating their community and it gets pretty bad now in HoTS and SC2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zil posted:

I don't know, Blizz has backed off on moderating their community and it gets pretty bad now in HoTS and SC2

I didn't realize those two communities would need moderating, I thought they would be totally dead by now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have not heard good things about the overwatch community who mostly seem to play it out of spite, and WoW is infested with chuds and nazi's outright recruiting in global chats so I think Blizzard wins the toxic community prize just by letting it fester with poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I have not heard good things about the overwatch community who mostly seem to play it out of spite, and WoW is infested with chuds and nazi's outright recruiting in global chats so I think Blizzard wins the toxic community prize just by letting it fester with poo poo.

I didn't play WoW very long but tagged along in the early days with my brother and his friends and I saw a guild called Interahamwe. I reported them and I saw the name was changed a few days later but I'm wondering how long they woulda got away with that if I hadn't seen it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I quit playing OW because quick play was too hit or miss but ranked was a toxic cesspool. I used to go back for events but the whole HK thing was my final straw with Blizzard.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't play WoW very long but tagged along in the early days with my brother and his friends and I saw a guild called Interahamwe. I reported them and I saw the name was changed a few days later but I'm wondering how long they woulda got away with that if I hadn't seen it.

Forgive me for not being tapped into the cultural zeitgeist, but what's the bad thing in that guild name?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

They were the main perpetrators of the Rwandan genocide.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Okay that is pretty bad, yes.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The only MMO where I didn't notice any chudd-iness going on, was FFXIV. I think it's just plain "too gay" in its visual style and presentation. Do you, as a chud, really wanna play with cat people dudes wearing eyeliner and makeup? Don't think so.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

busalover posted:

The only MMO where I didn't notice any chudd-iness going on, was FFXIV. I think it's just plain "too gay" in its visual style and presentation. Do you, as a chud, really wanna play with cat people dudes wearing eyeliner and makeup? Don't think so.

Also the story is pretty strongly anti-war, the hero makes friends of enemies whenever possible, and GMs will boot your rear end out of the game if you go off on random people or pop off on racist monologues.

It's funny because if you mention this you'll often get responses from chuds claiming that FFXIV is "just as bad" because it's got a red light district on Balmung. As if people's main objection with WoW is the elf fuckers in Goldshire, and not the people in chat dropping racial epithets, denying the holocaust, trolling about politics, telling the tank to gently caress off and die if they pull an extra pack, etc. Really shows where their heads are at.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I've gotten a number of pubbies ToS'd from ff for trying to pull a wow dps meter in a leveling dungeon lol

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's toxic people in ffxiv but they're mostly siloed off in hardcore content and rarely if ever bleed into the casual stuff most players are doing.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Yeah having played FFXIV on and off for years since 2.0 I can count the amount of toxic incidents I saw, that came even close to the amount of poo poo you see in WoW on the regular, on one hand. Even doing the more hardcore content never got quite as bad as even a WoW normal mode dungeon can be.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

busalover posted:

Moderation works! FFXIV is the one MMO where you can report someone for spewing racist or hateful speech in chat and have a GM actually kick them in the pants for it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: Wrong thread, clearly

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 6, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

Okay that is pretty bad, yes.

Was also a PvP server so it was somehow even worse than it would've normally been. They were definitely banking on the playerbase either being too young to remember Rwanda or not knowing what the perpetrators called themselves.

I never noticed bad stuff in FFXIV because I never got to max level and it's pretty much a single player game until then from what my pals who got me into it told me. Someone did see me in game and tweeted out a picture because they liked my name which was funny (same as here and I was a bard).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

busalover posted:

There's tons of alt right freaks who play XIV. Rhelgar's reach chat was full of trumpers screaming about building walls and keeping illegals out back in stormblood. There's just no trade chat equiv which keeps your exposure to it limited.

Big overlap with all the ERP sex mod people too unsurprisingly.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Do these types prefer to go to any particular servers, or can you run into them everywhere?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ff14 has those types but squeenix is more proactive about banning them, unlike blizzard which pretty much throws its hands up

that said even if i get the point you're trying to make lol at wokely calling anything that slightly goes against hypermasculine gender norms 'gay'. like phrase that a different way cmon

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

kliras posted:

Do these types prefer to go to any particular servers, or can you run into them everywhere?

asking for a friend of course,,,,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gilgamesh is the reddit server so its about what youd imagine

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It is a weird flex to say banning people who uses parses is a good thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

It is a weird flex to say banning people who uses parses is a good thing
people dont get banned from ff14 for using parses?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Smythe posted:

asking for a friend of course,,,,
i'm on excalibur, so i'm assuming it's just goons with cat ears like when i last played a couple of years ago

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You only get banned for parsing if you're a dick about it in in-game chat.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kliras posted:

The de facto server for erp sex mod stuff is Balmung. It's also the most popular server by a huge margin and constantly in 'congested' status (which blocks new player registration), so you can't actually make a character there unless you spend a week constantly checking for openings or spend :20bux: on a world transfer.

(Not to say it's not on other servers... I've seen adds for RP brothels in the party finder on Excalibur, where the goon clans are)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Oh the RP stuff doesn't bother me, I just hate the toxicity and alt-right stuff and want to avoid it as much as possible. Even mildly toxic people kinda kill my enjoyment of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

While I agree that Final Fantasy XIV has the least toxic community I've encountered, I feel that it isn't a fair comparison. The game has a unique setup and thus culture of making conversations as private as possible. Using "Tell" whenever you only want to talk to a single person. "Party" when it's the same group of people' "Say" when you want to get the attention of people in the immediate surrounding area. "Yell" for anyone who is in your FOV. And "Shout" for the entire map.

Most MMOs that I've tried there are usually just a "Yell" or "Party" as options. So it's much more common to see if there is a conversation going on that is...not good. It also encourages people to spam non-sense or obscenities. As it's either "Yell" or nothing so people can't ignore it, thus creating a culture where it has to naturally be tolerated. In Final Fantasy XIV, due to all of the options available it's very clearly intended that conversations are suppose to be as personal as possible, thus players treat it that way. There is far less going on in your chat feed and nobody wants to deal with assholes spamming all the time as it becomes super noticeable. Limsa is the only place to get a chatbox that is populated by other conversations and that's only if you stand by the main crystal.

That said "Novice Network" seems to be a unique experiment. But even with that it being more clean than imagined could be due to other factors such as it being a chat only focused on helping newcomers thus encouraging newcomers to be on their best behavior and having veterans pressured into being "role-models".