Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Most wet rooms here :japan: are prefab panel units that get installed in a single morning. Pretty foolproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

peanut posted:

Most wet rooms here :japan: are prefab panel units that get installed in a single morning. Pretty foolproof.

I'd swear Japan is like 20 years more advanced than the rest of the world when it comes to all aspects of bathroom technology

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

I'd swear Japan is like 20 years more advanced than the rest of the world when it comes to all aspects of bathroom technology

I got my new toto toilet and I agree

and the one piece design is just so much nicer than two piece

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 15, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

holy gently caress hahahahahahahahahahaha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Just pissin’ away money

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a) what in the hell is that insanely distracting sheer

b) why is the 1470 dollar remote stand holding toilet paper instead

where is the remote

why would you have toilet paper when you have a bidet toilet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

actionjackson posted:

why would you have toilet paper when you have a bidet toilet

Because the dryer function on them are basically worthless?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

Because the dryer function on them are basically worthless?

I'll have to see how mine does, but you would think for 17.5k dollars it would have a good dryer

but in either case, that's a stand for the remote control, so I'm not sure where the remote control is haha

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol you still need toilet paper even with a bidet
That stand seems specifically designed for bathrooms without walls (also lol)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to prove you wrong

Just gave away all my tp

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I need a new chair for reading but I can't find anything I like. I looked at The Chair (Eames) but it's
A) way too expensive
B) The Chair

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm planning on using it as an accent so it doesn't have to exactly match what I have now. The most important thing is that it's comfortable to sit in for a long time and it doesn't look like IKEA-level trash (aka my current chair)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Joe Chip posted:

I need a new chair for reading but I can't find anything I like. I looked at The Chair (Eames) but it's
A) way too expensive
B) The Chair

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm planning on using it as an accent so it doesn't have to exactly match what I have now. The most important thing is that it's comfortable to sit in for a long time and it doesn't look like IKEA-level trash (aka my current chair)

need to know

budget?
fabric or leather?
will it be stand alone or do you want one that has a matching ottoman?

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

actionjackson posted:

need to know

budget?
fabric or leather?

I'm thinking something less than $3k, leather preferred but fabric is ok, and a matching ottoman would be nice but isn't a must have

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Joe Chip posted:

I'm thinking something less than $3k, leather preferred but fabric is ok, and a matching ottoman would be nice but isn't a must have

I would start here, see if they have anything that looks interesting, and then go check them out in store if you have a room and board in your area. quite a few of these have matching ottomans.

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/chairs

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

actionjackson posted:

need to know

budget?
fabric or leather?

I just saw the Flight recliner at DWR and it was super comfy and sleek looking. Loved how it didn't look like a recliner at first glance.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

actionjackson posted:

I would start here, see if they have anything that looks interesting, and then go check them out in store if you have a room and board in your area. quite a few of these have matching ottomans.

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/chairs

I had no idea about this place but I'm already seeing some things I like. Thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah the flight recliner is really cool, it's not overstuffed/oversized like most recliners, or as I call them sportsdadchairs

Joe Chip posted:

I had no idea about this place but I'm already seeing some things I like. Thanks!

yep, let me know about any specific ones that really jump out and I may be able to recommend stuff from a few other sites

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Looking for a light recommendation. It's a north facing wall, one large window to the north, a smaller window to the west. Vaulted ceiling in half of the room with a tongue and groove ceiling, the other half has a 9 ft ceiling that is white tongue and groove and beams. There is currently 3 wall lights that are ugly and floral style and two matching boob lights in the white tongue and groove area. The ceiling fan provides fairly poor light.

I'm looking at something like this : https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/lighting/living-room-lighting/cedric-wall-sconce

My concern is the room needs more light, but I don't want to go overboard. Ideally I'd have another large window to the north, but it's not in the budget. I'm currently removing the wall covering (tongue and groove) and installing drywall. It'll be a light/forest green with wood trim.

That is not our room, but the look we're going for.

That is the room, or part of it at least.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm a bit confused - the second pic is your house, but the first is not?

Where exactly would this light be going, and what would be it's main function? What other lighting would be in the room?

800 lumens isn't too bright so I wouldn't be too considered about it being overwhelming. You can always get a dimmer anyway. 800 is around what you would expect in a small to medium pendant if that's a helpful reference point at all. The lowest I've ever seen online is like 450 lumens. And 2700K is pretty soft.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 5, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I'm a bit confused - the second pic is your house, but the first is not?

Where exactly would this light be going, and what would be it's main function? What other lighting would be in the room?

800 lumens isn't too bright so I wouldn't be too considered about it being overwhelming. You can always get a dimmer anyway. 800 is around what you would expect in a small to medium pendant if that's a helpful reference point at all. The lowest I've ever seen online is like 450 lumens. And 2700K is pretty soft.

Correct, the 2nd pic is our place. First pic is the color and trim scheme we're going with.

Lights will be going on the walls. Main function is general lighting on the perimeter.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay. I just need a bit more info to understand - what are the dimensions of the room, what other lighting will you have besides these sconces, and how many sconces would you be putting up? would it be three just like there are now, and then two replacement ceiling lights?

I think the style would work fine with the trim and color scheme you mentioned

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Okay. I just need a bit more info to understand - what are the dimensions of the room, what other lighting will you have besides these sconces, and how many sconces would you be putting up? would it be three just like there are now, and then two replacement ceiling lights?

21 X 28, with the large window being on the 28' wall. Yes, it would have the three sconces, two replacement boob lights, and the ceiling fan. Maybe a floor light down the road as well.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yooper posted:

21 X 28, with the large window being on the 28' wall. Yes, it would have the three sconces, two replacement boob lights, and the ceiling fan. Maybe a floor light down the road as well.

please don't get boob lights haha

anyway I would probably go to a lighting store and look at some sconces of various luminosity. That's a huge room though so I'm sure it will be fine. For reference kitchen lighting tends to be in the 1600-2000 lumen (total) range at 3000K.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Yooper posted:

What are you planning to use this room for? That’s going to be a big factor as a work area, reading space, or tv watching space all need different kinds of lighting

anyway from the pic you posted there’s a boob light (flush mount) in an area with a low ceiling that’s further lowered and divided by beams. That’s basically guaranteed to create weird, uncomfortable shadows and uneven lighting. I’d take it out entirely and add a couple more wall sconces instead. Ideally i’d have them evenly spaced around the perimeter of that half of the room for nice even area lighting, and then add a floor lamp or table lamp on an end table next to a couch to provide some spot lighting for reading. If this is going to be a work area you could do cans instead but i think they’d be too harsh for a cozy space like that, but it depends how you want to use the room.

For the other half of the room with a higher ceiling, you could add another flush mount if you’re into that, or alternatively 9ft is high enough to hang some pendants off a track which i think is a really nice solution for a room with high ceilings. You get very even, bright light from 360° sources hanging in space and it feels much less impersonal than a high up flush mount or can light. You probably won’t need much more if you go this route but you could certainly add a couple wall sconces or floor lights as an accent.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

hypnophant posted:

What are you planning to use this room for? That’s going to be a big factor as a work area, reading space, or tv watching space all need different kinds of lighting

anyway from the pic you posted there’s a boob light (flush mount) in an area with a low ceiling that’s further lowered and divided by beams. That’s basically guaranteed to create weird, uncomfortable shadows and uneven lighting. I’d take it out entirely and add a couple more wall sconces instead. Ideally i’d have them evenly spaced around the perimeter of that half of the room for nice even area lighting, and then add a floor lamp or table lamp on an end table next to a couch to provide some spot lighting for reading. If this is going to be a work area you could do cans instead but i think they’d be too harsh for a cozy space like that, but it depends how you want to use the room.

For the other half of the room with a higher ceiling, you could add another flush mount if you’re into that, or alternatively 9ft is high enough to hang some pendants off a track which i think is a really nice solution for a room with high ceilings. You get very even, bright light from 360° sources hanging in space and it feels much less impersonal than a high up flush mount or can light. You probably won’t need much more if you go this route but you could certainly add a couple wall sconces or floor lights as an accent.

It's a general purpose entry / living room. The current boob lights do make weird light and we really haven't decided what to do in that area. Possibly a couch/reading nook, but I'm not really sure to be honest. We've only been in the place for 3 months. I like the pendant idea, we have a ceiling fan in there now but the light isn't great out of it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Yooper posted:

It's a general purpose entry / living room. The current boob lights do make weird light and we really haven't decided what to do in that area. Possibly a couch/reading nook, but I'm not really sure to be honest. We've only been in the place for 3 months. I like the pendant idea, we have a ceiling fan in there now but the light isn't great out of it.

Gotcha. At least from a lighting perspective i think it makes sense to treat it as two separate rooms instead of one, since the different ceiling heights really call for different treatments. You could even divide the space physically with a bookcase, curtains, or movable divider but there are ways to make the lighting work without doing that.

If you want the room/s to be multipurpose it makes sense to add more light than you think you’ll really need and then have some way to turn it down when you’re in relax mode; you can do this with dimmers, or by having wall and ceiling lights on different circuits, or go all in on smart lighting. I’ve got hue bulbs in a few rooms for this and while i wouldn’t miss color lighting, it’s really nice to be able to change the white temperature, especially while working from home. Warm white or even soft white really bugs me during the day, especially if i’m using it to supplement natural light from a window, but having daylight bulbs on when you’re trying to unwind at night isn’t ideal either.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a relatively small island in my kitchen (IIRC it's 26x40).
There's a fluorescent light fixture above it.

I want to replace it with something nicer, but the island is too small to be able to use hanging lights. I also really like the amount of light that the current fixture throws, it just happens to be ugly as poo poo.

Any recommendations? Do I just figure on high hats?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 10, 2021

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I've used these in kitchens before and it gives decent light. Kind of non descript, which i appreciated. There's one with black too (around the top part facing ceiling)

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/nymane-led-ceiling-lamp-white-30359771/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have a relatively small island in my kitchen (IIRC it's 26x40).
There's a fluorescent light fixture above it.

I want to replace it with something nicer, but the island is too small to be able to use hanging lights. I also really like the amount of light that the current fixture throws, it just happens to be ugly as poo poo.

Any recommendations? Do I just figure on high hats?

I'm actually just about to replace my horrible track lighting with a very thin flush mount

look up maxim wafer, or quoizel outskirts. they are 1" thin or less and have diameters up to 15", and are square or circular.

the fixture you have is too big anyway imo

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

actionjackson posted:

the fixture you have is too big anyway imo

It is.
I'll show them to my wife. One of my bigger concerns is that I'm going to have to see where the box is. If it's not relatively centered over the island it's going to bug the poo poo out of me.

Also I was hoping for soemthing in the 4K range, because right now I really like the amount of light that the florescent fixture throws, I just hate the fixture itself.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

It is.
I'll show them to my wife. One of my bigger concerns is that I'm going to have to see where the box is. If it's not relatively centered over the island it's going to bug the poo poo out of me.

Also I was hoping for soemthing in the 4K range, because right now I really like the amount of light that the florescent fixture throws, I just hate the fixture itself.

assuming you mean 4000K that's pretty drat high. I have 3000K and that was what was suggested to me by the lighting store to continue using.

There's color temperature (in Kelvins) and brightness (in lumens or watts). The suggestions I got for a kitchen ceiling light were 3000K, and at least 1600 lumens. There are a few lights out there that have adjustable color temperature.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

actionjackson posted:

assuming you mean 4000K that's pretty drat high. I have 3000K and that was what was suggested to me by the lighting store to continue using.

There's color temperature (in Kelvins) and brightness (in lumens or watts). The suggestions I got for a kitchen ceiling light were 3000K, and at least 1600 lumens. There are a few lights out there that have adjustable color temperature.

I was thinking the color temp. The fluorescent light throws a brighter white light that brightens up the room pretty great at night. However none of those fixtures are obscenely expensive, so I could at least install one of them and see how it looks and just repurpose it somewhere else if I don't like it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A lot of these flat LED fixtures have temperature settings on them, too, so you can often times just open the light again and set it warmer or cooler.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'd paint or add cute tape around the sides and ignore it for a few more years.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any goon recommended, free, online floorplan websites out there? I'm only on my Chromebook so most software doesn't work :sigh:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Any goon recommended, free, online floorplan websites out there? I'm only on my Chromebook so most software doesn't work :sigh:

roomstyler

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks! :cheerdoge:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you can add a bouncy house in it, which is why I give it my top rating

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recommendations for stores that sell good drawer pulls other than restoration hardware / rejuvenation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Booley posted:

Anyone have recommendations for stores that sell good drawer pulls other than restoration hardware / rejuvenation?

my interior designer aunt pointed me to this place, I haven't bought anything from them though

https://www.mockett.com/drawer-pulls-knobs-door-handles/