Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
why would it be impossible to intercept? ApS depth charges bitch

e; oof pagetopper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

what's funny is the US and probably china/Russia are working on supercavitating subs so they can move supplies and people around at 100+ knots underwater

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
apparently theres a german one too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superkavitierender_Unterwasserlaufk%C3%B6rper

quote:

The Superkavitierender Unterwasserlaufkörper (lit. Supercavitating Underwater Running Body) (formerly known as Barracuda)

loving krauts just keep the goddamn fish name

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gonna be pissed if its the aliens from the abyss, cameron shouldn’t get credit for this

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
so can anyone give a quick rundown of why this being secret domestic tech that got accidentally revealed to lower-level flunkies is implausible? tia

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

so can anyone give a quick rundown of why this being secret domestic tech that got accidentally revealed to lower-level flunkies is implausible? tia

the exhibited behavior is such a leap beyond current understanding it defies physics as we know it. just harnessing the energy necessary to potentially replicate it would alleviate all scarcity-based suffering on planet earth.

tldr its star trek poo poo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

None of the videos show images consistent with physical objects moving as detected or described. There's no heat or friction with the atmosphere or heat coming off of the objects, which means that they can't be objects or that they aren't actually doing what they appear to do. They will most likely be determined to be effects created by the limitations of the camera sensors and eyewitnesses not accurately understanding what they were actually seeing.

This thread is a lot of fun and I love ufo discussions and culture, but if you're looking for a real answer, that's it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There have been sightings of similar objects for a long time, longer than seems plausible to explain with a new technology

It's still in the running imo but it seems like that's the main problem

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

None of the videos show images consistent with physical objects moving as detected or described. There's no heat or friction with the atmosphere or heat coming off of the objects, which means that they can't be objects or that they aren't actually doing what they appear to do. They will most likely be determined to be effects created by the limitations of the camera sensors and eyewitnesses not accurately understanding what they were actually seeing.

This thread is a lot of fun and I love ufo discussions and culture, but if you're looking for a real answer, that's it.

The objects moving like that made me think the same thing, projected images or reflections or a misunderstanding of range or whatever, but there's the video where the guy locks on to it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

its been half a century

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The classified version of the report is starting to circulate within ~the government and one of the only conclusions it's solid on is ruling out misidentification of US black projects, which was one of the only plausible mundane explanations for events like the Nimitz tic-tac.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

i think the pilots are just witnessing an undiscovered very good bird

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The classified version of the report is starting to circulate within ~the government and one of the only conclusions it's solid on is ruling out misidentification of US black projects, which was one of the only plausible mundane explanations for events like the Nimitz tic-tac.

i dont understand why people presume they have to be honest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

The objects moving like that made me think the same thing, projected images or reflections or a misunderstanding of range or whatever, but there's the video where the guy locks on to it

And that could be a limitation of the equipment he's using, where it would think that's locking onto something at a certain range, but really there's nothing there and the thing it thinks its locking onto is a jet way far away viewed from a weird angle or an effect created by particular reflective conditions etc.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I am skeptical that anyone in the us government can rule out anything that is being done anywhere. There are trillions of dollars sloshing around.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
swamp gas reflecting off uranus

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
thanks all. I roughly understand the giant leap in technical capabilities that would be required to replicate these movements, but I think "it's been 50/70/maybe thousands of years" is going to be more convincing to the person I am trying to convince that aliens are real and they want to eat his organs.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Can we please get a tweet from Neil deGrasse Tyson to shut all these conspiracy brained nerds down?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

the exhibited behavior is such a leap beyond current understanding it defies physics as we know it. just harnessing the energy necessary to potentially replicate it would alleviate all scarcity-based suffering on planet earth.

tldr its star trek poo poo

its a bird

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's so weird to me that this was released this fast, the statement that "it's not any of our secret projects," because wouldn't they obviously say that anyway

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
have we considered they are dust on the lens?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I am putting on a lense of pretending to know jts aliens, and viewing this incremental dispersion and altering of attitudes as exactly how humans would handle sudden, inexplicable footage of them. And to honest, if real alien probes ever appeared on Earth, this is the kind of tension between denial and confusion one would expect from humans in response.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

And that could be a limitation of the equipment he's using, where it would think that's locking onto something at a certain range, but really there's nothing there and the thing it thinks its locking onto is a jet way far away viewed from a weird angle or an effect created by particular reflective conditions etc.

But it wasn't just his equipment that was seeing it where it was

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Can we please get a tweet from Neil deGrasse Tyson to shut all these conspiracy brained nerds down?

It won't work on me anymore, he's like a fast food mascot at this point

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

"it's most likely a miraculously tandem visual/optics/sensory system issue spread over hundreds of sightings for decades with well-understood existing weapons systems" i continue to insist as i shrink into a tardigrade

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

It's so weird to me that this was released this fast, the statement that "it's not any of our secret projects," because wouldn't they obviously say that anyway

i'm interested to see how that statement is qualified in the report that eventually comes out

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

I am putting on a lense of pretending to know jts aliens, and viewing this incremental dispersion and altering of attitudes as exactly how humans would handle sudden, inexplicable footage of them. And to honest, if real alien probes ever appeared on Earth, this is the kind of tension between denial and confusion one would expect from humans in response.

yeah this is what is most exciting imo, the fact that I have imagined what disclosure would play out like and this seems to be mirroring my expectations pretty closely

but maybe they know that and are just playing me

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

What's the mechanism that the camera gets a lock on it anyway? Is it a radar lock? Some kind of IR tracking?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

there's probably someone in this thread with a super top secret clearance and first hand knowledge laughing at all the guesses

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A secret US military program
- Cool drones
- Projected plasma balls/hollygrams

Aliens

Foreigners

Equipment malfunctions and pilot error

What am I missing, those seem to be the suspects

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The knots people tie themselves into for this poo poo to not be anything odd or concerning is very :ironicat:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ppl been seeing this poo poo since humans started recording history

definitely not us I mean come on

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

aliens

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

A secret US military program
- Cool drones
- Projected plasma balls/hollygrams

Aliens

Foreigners

Equipment malfunctions and pilot error

What am I missing, those seem to be the suspects

Time travelers deserves a bullet point imo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

"-Cool" is doing a lot of work here

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

i'm interested to see how that statement is qualified in the report that eventually comes out

if it was a secret project they're not allowed to acknowledge exists they wouldn't say "oh yeah this is a classified technology," theyd act as if the thing they're not allowed to say exists didn't exist

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
I also wouldn’t rule out “fifth dimensional simulation overseers who just flash in and out of view the way we would look to the two dimensional shapes in flatland”

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I find it harder to believe it's a sensor problem when multiple vehicles and multiple types of sensors are showing something. I gotta think if you master FTL you can do something about atmospheric friction

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

What's the mechanism that the camera gets a lock on it anyway? Is it a radar lock? Some kind of IR tracking?

I definitely don't know, I just know the pilot and gunner/other guy kind of whooped and celebrated when it locked on, implying a combination of human skill and getting the mechanical thing to lock on to the flying loving thing

I can't find it, I remember the guy operating the camera says he "boxed" it, but my combat flying experience is mostly in battlefield 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WEH posted:

But it wasn't just his equipment that was seeing it where it was

I would definitely trust targeting sensors over my own eyes when it comes to judging how far away something is, even if both can be confused. Plus, it's very easy to convince yourself that you are in fact seeing what your equipment tells you you're seeing--it's just a split-second thing that requires zero conscious thought. I know it's not sexy in the least, but it's most likely the case.

There's zero reason to think that aliens or hyper-advanced craft that can go anywhere and see anything would just happen to hang out right at the raggedy edge of what current sensors are capable of understanding--it's much more likely an effect of the sensors having blind spots and limitations that create the effects that we see. I don't dispute that eyewitnesses also saw things they couldn't identify, but they had no way of knowing what it was. This has generally been true of camera technology as it changes and improves: in the 90s and 2000s, you had rods and orbs showing up in interlaced video that was new at that time, the first digital cameras caught tons of ufos that just happened to look exactly like the apertures inside the cameras under lighting conditions that would make the apertures visible etc, and now that the technology has improved, rods and orbs are unheard of and we're getting sensor ghost craft right where sensor ghosts on current-gen equipment would appear.