Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Gotta have 3 pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’ve got a 2012 GTI that just had the low oil pressure warning go on briefly while I was taking a fast turn and then went off. Turns out my oil was super low, only 5400 miles after my last change. I used to be able to go the full 10k without issues. It’s a little over 110k miles now and no leaks I can find. Is it something worth having checked or is this typical for this kind of age/mileage and I’ll just need to keep it topped off in between changes?

DrChu posted:

Could be the rear main seal going?

CommieGIR posted:

Honestly, 10k changes are kinda sketchy, between minor consumption all engines have and possible leaks, I don't do more than 7k at most, 5k if I can spare the funds for a change.

Finally got this looked at. Internal leak with the oil separator (which was replaced 2 years ago, ugh) and a small external leak (not enough to notice normally) at the turbo shut off valve.

Also get to add on both front springs because one is busted and carbon clean up cuz of the oil. Freakin cars man.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the regular A4 cab is bendy as gently caress. I assume the RS4 is quite improved, but only bad things happen when you chop the roof off a sedan

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the regular A4 cab is bendy as gently caress. I assume the RS4 is quite improved, but only bad things happen when you chop the roof off a sedan

How far do you have to push the car to feel this? I won't be tracking it or driving it any harder than some curvy country roads.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In the A4 cab I've driven, a B7, roughly 5/10ths. Sufficiently bad that I had no real interest in driving the car.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well I didn't care at all for the one I drove, but not because it was a cab. The shifter had to be pushed so hard to get it into gear I think the clutch wasn't fully engaging. Also made some off noises here and there. Wasn't a big fan.

Next up is a B7 S4 avant with 110k miles and original timing chains! What price would you all pay for such a treat? White on panda 6MT.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wish I had courage to buy one of those burgundy 6-speed S8 D2's from Spain. It was just so far away that I bought a 5-speed auto from Sweden and semi-regret it every day. Facelift 6-speed D2's are quite rare...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks to the poster who recommended the Volkswagen Man, I'm having the timing chain repair done there as we speak. I really hope I don't need a new balance shaft! Apparently that's rare, which is good because it's a $550-600 part. My loaner is an early 2000s beetle turbo with 147k miles, oh god

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 1, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Thanks to the poster who recommended the Volkswagen Man, I'm having the timing chain repair done there as we speak. I really hope I don't need a new balance shaft! Apparently that's rare, which is good because it's a $550-600 part. My loaner is an early 2000s beetle turbo with 147k miles, oh god

Aye, that was me. I’m glad that worked out, and you got a loaner with some character is all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Aye, that was me. I’m glad that worked out, and you got a loaner with some character is all.

update! no new balance shaft needed! I don't even need new timing covers! will only be about 1600! I LOVE U MAN

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

actionjackson posted:

update! no new balance shaft needed! I don't even need new timing covers! will only be about 1600! I LOVE U MAN

just 5 months of Jetta lease payments, plus you don't have to drive a Jetta!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just 5 months of Jetta lease payments, plus you don't have to drive a Jetta!

i hate you and love you so much

The car is back, it's definitely much more snappy/responsive

Looking forward, the one somewhat major thing I'll need in the next 6-8 months is a new high pressure fuel pump. They also said that with the new timing chain, they recommend an oil change every six months for me (or 5000 miles, but the six months will always come first easily).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've looked at the service manual for my 2007 GTI (FSI, *BPY engine) for when the cam tensioner/chain is due for replacement and I can't find it anywhere.

A few years ago I bought a whole kit to have this done but ended up realizing I had a different issue that was resolved, so I've had the ECS kit sitting around since. My motor has 138k kms on it (85k miles). What would be the symptoms of this needing to be done, if it isn't a regular service interval item?

With previous cars I've heard timing chain rattle on startup before hydraulic tensioners have pressure and I'm not hearing anything like that (I realize it's not a timing chain in the traditional sense). Thanks!

e: I replaced my cam follower around 80k kms.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 2, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For 2.0 tfsi you can install a freewheel for balance shaft gear:

https://wasamotor.com/shop/vw-audi-skoda-and-seat/tfsi-2-0-ea113/oil-pump-balance-shaft/balance-shaft-delete-tfsi-2-0-freewheel/

So it avoids balance shaft issues. Engine won't be too smooth after that ofc.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VelociBacon posted:

I've looked at the service manual for my 2007 GTI (FSI, *BPY engine) for when the cam tensioner/chain is due for replacement and I can't find it anywhere.

A few years ago I bought a whole kit to have this done but ended up realizing I had a different issue that was resolved, so I've had the ECS kit sitting around since. My motor has 138k kms on it (85k miles). What would be the symptoms of this needing to be done, if it isn't a regular service interval item?

With previous cars I've heard timing chain rattle on startup before hydraulic tensioners have pressure and I'm not hearing anything like that (I realize it's not a timing chain in the traditional sense). Thanks!

e: I replaced my cam follower around 80k kms.

There's probably no interval for it because for most manufacturers the chain is a "lifetime" part. 150k (whatever that is in moon units) or whenever it makes noise or sets codes if the chain stretches (? Potentially I guess).

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
My diesel manual wagon is getting delivered tomorrow and I'm jazzed. I'll post some pics when it gets here.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

User Error posted:

My diesel manual wagon is getting delivered tomorrow and I'm jazzed. I'll post some pics when it gets here.

which make/model/year?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Here's my blue manual diesel wagon. Plan is to tint the windows and drive the hell out of it. Maybe Bilstein shocks. No tune till it's out of warranty I swear.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I love it. Excellent taste OP

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I dig it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not brown. 4/10

Seriously, cool.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hell yell yeah 2015 TDI club represent.

I love mine still. Solid choice. Also glad the clock spring got a recall because that is $450 back in my pocket.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, those things have some great torque and the 6-speed is a real treat. Congrats!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Very nice. I was very close to buying a TDI wagon before ending up with the Alltrack.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Looks good but I would say that since it looks nearly identical to mine lol - are those GTI replica headlights? I feel like I see that old trademark U design there.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Those are the factory lighting package lights, it was an option in the SE and maybe the SLE

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got an adverse action letter from the VW dealer after I (very smartly, thx KYOON) backed out of the Jetta. As far as I know this letter is basically meaningless, and also quite funny when the credit score they had listed for me was 812

edit: always nice to see another wagon! and blue, my favorite color

edit 2: just found this on youtube lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0aOGq2t0s

70k for a 1994 rs2 avant, and now I learned about all the porsche connections with this vehicle

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 6, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

silk blue is a great color not that i'm biased

edit: i got ya back :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Finally upgraded the injectors on my 4000 Turbo, smoothed the engine out a lot and gave it a little more umph, gonna send the others off to be cleaned/balanced.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The one other "big" thing I need is to replace the high pressure fuel pump and tappet. Estimate was $850, or about three jetta payments. Does this seem reasonable? The parts look to be in the 450-500 range.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Depends if that's 1/60 of a Jetta, 1/72, or 1/120 of one.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Anyone care to explain why the 2020/21 Jettas are terrible? My fiance is dead set on getting one after our insurance pretty much declared our RAV4 totaled during a Memorial Day fender bender. Oh, and explain it me like you would explain it to a mid 30's female who is convinced she has done all the research and likes DAS DEUTSCHE

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are you asking a thread of VW enthusiasts to talk your fiancee out of a VW? She should definitely get a GLI, though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Butt Reactor posted:

Anyone care to explain why the 2020/21 Jettas are terrible? My fiance is dead set on getting one after our insurance pretty much declared our RAV4 totaled during a Memorial Day fender bender. Oh, and explain it me like you would explain it to a mid 30's female who is convinced she has done all the research and likes DAS DEUTSCHE

Is the 20/21 Jetta still the most decontented/cut rate/US only product VW sells? Didn’t they essentially make it a uniquely lovely car in the mid 2010s, with worse build than an equivalent Golf?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Uthor posted:

Are you asking a thread of VW enthusiasts to talk your fiancee out of a VW? She should definitely get a GLI, though.

If nothing else I'd figure the VAG cult here would know best of why or why not the current gen Jetta sucks. While I'm part of the MZR master race, I do like the the GLI; I'd be dumb to assume the R-Line trim is anywhere close to that on the base Jetta though, no?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Butt Reactor posted:

If nothing else I'd figure the VAG cult here would know best of why or why not the current gen Jetta sucks. While I'm part of the MZR master race, I do like the the GLI; I'd be dumb to assume the R-Line trim is anywhere close to that on the base Jetta though, no?

I think the R-Line is pretty much just a body kit. Same motor, maybe a slightly nicer interior. I've only driven a couple of the base models, but they were OK. Interior feels kind of cheap with a decent amount of hard plastic, but the ride was pretty smooth and there was a sufficient amount of power. Consumer Reports gave this particular model of the Jetta a really poor reliability score, but I don’t put all my faith in those things.

Anyway, a GLI would be pretty boss, but if it isn’t in the budget I wouldn’t do the R-Line and I’d look carefully at what the trim levels offer. The Golf is more well liked, but its power train is the same as the Jetta’s now.

actionjackson posted:

The one other "big" thing I need is to replace the high pressure fuel pump and tappet. Estimate was $850, or about three jetta payments. Does this seem reasonable? The parts look to be in the 450-500 range.

I'm not too familiar with the job, but it looks like that's a decent price. You could always shop around, but I get wanting to get it back into good shape in one visit.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 8, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Is the 20/21 Jetta still the most decontented/cut rate/US only product VW sells? Didn’t they essentially make it a uniquely lovely car in the mid 2010s, with worse build than an equivalent Golf?

yeah, it used to be pretty equivalent to the golf for many generations but eventually it became it's own cut-rate model below the golf.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Blue car good. This thing is in super nice condition. The computer says I got 46mpg on the way to work and Steely Dan sounds good on the Fender stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah, it used to be pretty equivalent to the golf for many generations but eventually it became it's own cut-rate model below the golf.

the VIII is less deconteted than the VII was but still not ideal. they're built in the same place but they have some platform differences these days. the Golf doesn't exist any more so you can't buy one.

Did OP fiancee drive it and like it? if so you're hosed. If not, try to get her to drive something actually good like a Mazda3 sedan if she wants a nominally premium looking sedan.