Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Yeah Wild is full of those Warlocks. Not even worth playing unless you get the combo off first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Just a PSA for those that still don't know; if a Paladin has Reckoning active, and Samuro has three or more attack, Reckoning will kill him before the Frenzy goes off. I just beat 2 Priests in a row that didn't know that so lol.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Desert Bus posted:

Yeah Wild is full of those Warlocks. Not even worth playing unless you get the combo off first.

Apparently wild is already 60%+ warlock.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Turns out Vol'jin's pretty fun even if quilboars are banned. Just make sure you have mechs, elementals, and demons

Also had my most intense 1v1 game ever. Top 2 lasted 3-4 rounds of divine shield standoff.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've been climbing the ranks with my dirty net deck face hunter. Seems to be working alright at the moment, worth picking up the mini-set? Or should I wait until some things shake out?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I don't know what the current flavour for a Celestial Alignment deck is, but this is what I saw Thijs playing and it's pretty bonkers.

Lady Anaconda makes most of your spells 0 mana once you ramped and played Celestial Alignment. Then you draw all of your deck, re-ramp along the way, gain a lot of armor and go for an easy C'thun setup by drawing all your spells with Malygos if need be.

This is my first run with it, including a glorious Solar Eclipse into Innervate misplay, seems good. 8 turns :laugh:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/Wjdjh3E2ZHqmdzcA7sXnVe

### Celestial Lady
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 2x (2) Guess the Weight
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 1x (2) Solar Eclipse
# 2x (3) Feral Rage
# 2x (3) Wild Growth
# 2x (4) Overgrowth
# 1x (6) Forest Warden Omu
# 2x (6) Gadgetzan Auctioneer
# 1x (6) Lady Anacondra
# 2x (6) Nourish
# 2x (7) Celestial Alignment
# 2x (8) Cenarion Ward
# 1x (9) Malygos the Spellweaver
# 1x (10) C'Thun, the Shattered
# 1x (10) Yogg-Saron, Master of Fate
#
AAECAeSiBAaj0QOd2AOK4AO/4APk7gO1igQM6LoDm84D8NQDieADpOED0eEDwOwDiZ8Erp8E2p8EoKAEuKAEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 4, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

obi_ant posted:

I've been climbing the ranks with my dirty net deck face hunter. Seems to be working alright at the moment, worth picking up the mini-set? Or should I wait until some things shake out?

For me, if I am still winning games and having fun, I usually don't feel that I need to run out and acquire every card that comes out. It is a personal decision though, whether you enjoy playing with the newest cards vs. min-maxing your gold and dust (and $$) towards the cards and decks you want to play.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

mcbexx posted:

I don't know what the current flavour for a Celestial Alignment deck is, but this is what I saw Thijs playing and it's pretty bonkers.

Lady Anaconda makes most of your spells 0 mana once you ramped and played Celestial Alignment. Then you draw all of your deck, re-ramp along the way, gain a lot of armor and go for an easy C'thun setup by drawing all your spells with Malygos if need be.

This is my first run with it, including a glorious Solar Eclipse into Innervate misplay, seems good. 8 turns :laugh:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/Wjdjh3E2ZHqmdzcA7sXnVe

### Celestial Lady
# Class: Druid
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 2x (2) Guess the Weight
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 1x (2) Solar Eclipse
# 2x (3) Feral Rage
# 2x (3) Wild Growth
# 2x (4) Overgrowth
# 1x (6) Forest Warden Omu
# 2x (6) Gadgetzan Auctioneer
# 1x (6) Lady Anacondra
# 2x (6) Nourish
# 2x (7) Celestial Alignment
# 2x (8) Cenarion Ward
# 1x (9) Malygos the Spellweaver
# 1x (10) C'Thun, the Shattered
# 1x (10) Yogg-Saron, Master of Fate
#
AAECAeSiBAaj0QOd2AOK4AO/4APk7gO1igQM6LoDm84D8NQDieADpOED0eEDwOwDiZ8Erp8E2p8EoKAEuKAEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

This has got the potential for some crazy plays but I'm 1 for 6 so far and the one was against another celestial alignment druid...

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I've been trying to craft a C'Thun Priest that actively seeks to draw and discount the pieces to close out the game fast(ish), but so far it seems that the ultramarathon N'Zoth deck is better.

GTO posted:

This has got the potential for some crazy plays but I'm 1 for 6 so far and the one was against another celestial alignment druid...

This deck was around before the new legendary, don't know if it's much better now.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Been loving around with the basic rear end Outcast formula deck in Casual and it's not even aggro and people will just quit after turn 3 or 4. Bizarre.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

For me, if I am still winning games and having fun, I usually don't feel that I need to run out and acquire every card that comes out. It is a personal decision though, whether you enjoy playing with the newest cards vs. min-maxing your gold and dust (and $$) towards the cards and decks you want to play.

That is a good point. I've never made it to Diamond and would like to try and get there (although I'm not too dedicated to that). I figured my best chances of getting there would be to have new newest meta.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Here's an interaction I didn't think through: Killing a Possessed Villager will proc Avenge on the Shadowbeast.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Man, this version of priest is unfun even for PRIEST. Great you can cast 5 soul mirrors, cool, fun game that only took a half hour

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Don't care if it's good, that evolve shaman deck is exactly the stupid high-roll poo poo I play Hearthstone for.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Full on tempo elementals is pretty good.

### Elemental good again??
# Class: Shaman
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Kindling Elemental
# 2x (1) Wailing Vapor
# 2x (2) Cagematch Custodian
# 2x (2) Costumed Entertainer
# 2x (2) Menacing Nimbus
# 2x (3) Arid Stormer
# 2x (3) Gyreworm
# 1x (3) Instructor Fireheart
# 2x (3) Primal Dungeoneer
# 2x (3) Whack-A-Gnoll Hammer
# 2x (4) Dunk Tank
# 2x (5) Lilypad Lurker
# 2x (5) Mistrunner
# 2x (6) Fire Elemental
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
#
AAECAZKrBAKczgOm7wMO8NQDp94Dqt4Dq94D8d4DjOEDiOQD4OwD4ewDre4Dr+4D4+4DjJ8E46AEAA==
#

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

fanny packrat posted:

Here's an interaction I didn't think through: Killing a Possessed Villager will proc Avenge on the Shadowbeast.

That can't be right, right? Avenge shouldn't trigger on solitary minions, even if they spawn another minion on death.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Are Dunk Tanks really worth excluding Kazakus for?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
IMO Kazakus is better. For a tempo shaman, corrupting a 4 cost is a fairly tall order - I felt like it was a dead card more often than not.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Flayer posted:

Are Dunk Tanks really worth excluding Kazakus for?

Yes. Playing a 3/3 on turn 4 is silly when you want to have a strong opening in a tempo deck. Deck I posted is often playing a 5 or 6 mana minion on turn 4 due to lightening bloom. I specifically ran very few spells to reliably draw it and have a lightening bloom turn early to corrupt dunk tank.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Jeza posted:

That can't be right, right? Avenge shouldn't trigger on solitary minions, even if they spawn another minion on death.

That's how I thought it would resolve, but it looks like the deathrattle was first in the stack, then the secret procced.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

fanny packrat posted:

That's how I thought it would resolve, but it looks like the deathrattle was first in the stack, then the secret procced.

I haven't seen this myself but the wiki entry suggests it's based on order of play. both the deathrattle and avenge trigger at the same time, viz. when a friendly minion dies. if the possessed villager was played first, its deathrattle finishes first and avenge has a target; if avenge was played first, it has no friendly minion to target and so doesn't fire.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Joink posted:

Yes. Playing a 3/3 on turn 4 is silly when you want to have a strong opening in a tempo deck. Deck I posted is often playing a 5 or 6 mana minion on turn 4 due to lightening bloom. I specifically ran very few spells to reliably draw it and have a lightening bloom turn early to corrupt dunk tank.

Yeah, maybe that's the difference, the decks I've been playing are less top heavy and don't run lightning bloom, so you want to be closing out games by the time that a corrupted dunk tank is relevant.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

World War Mammories posted:

I haven't seen this myself but the wiki entry suggests it's based on order of play. both the deathrattle and avenge trigger at the same time, viz. when a friendly minion dies. if the possessed villager was played first, its deathrattle finishes first and avenge has a target; if avenge was played first, it has no friendly minion to target and so doesn't fire.

It's really weird that order of play would matter as opposed to an affect stack like in mtg.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

I read it and it suggests that Avenge will never proc on a single minion even if it summons another on death, regardless of play order.

However, if there are multiple minions on the board (including one with a deathrattle that summons) and all of them die simultaneously, it can trigger on the summon depending on the minion play order. Because, I guess, the conditions for Avenge to proc were met initially.

Is that what happened in this case? If Possessed Villager was the only minion and it procced, I feel like that's a bug. If it was one of several cleared at the same time, it's just a weird interaction quirk that can happen sometimes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Joink posted:

Full on tempo elementals is pretty good.

### Elemental good again??
# Class: Shaman
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Kindling Elemental
# 2x (1) Wailing Vapor
# 2x (2) Cagematch Custodian
# 2x (2) Costumed Entertainer
# 2x (2) Menacing Nimbus
# 2x (3) Arid Stormer
# 2x (3) Gyreworm
# 1x (3) Instructor Fireheart
# 2x (3) Primal Dungeoneer
# 2x (3) Whack-A-Gnoll Hammer
# 2x (4) Dunk Tank
# 2x (5) Lilypad Lurker
# 2x (5) Mistrunner
# 2x (6) Fire Elemental
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
#
AAECAZKrBAKczgOm7wMO8NQDp94Dqt4Dq94D8d4DjOEDiOQD4OwD4ewDre4Dr+4D4+4DjJ8E46AEAA==
#

btw, a general concept for Shaman deckbuilders: You can safely slot Mankrik into the tempo-based lists, since giving up an Elemental in hand is worth an automatic 3/7 on board + 3 face. This is gonna be way more powerful than things like Costumed Entertainer for example.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
FYI there's no pity timer on the new Standard packs :saddowns:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jeza posted:

I read it and it suggests that Avenge will never proc on a single minion even if it summons another on death, regardless of play order.

However, if there are multiple minions on the board (including one with a deathrattle that summons) and all of them die simultaneously, it can trigger on the summon depending on the minion play order. Because, I guess, the conditions for Avenge to proc were met initially.

Is that what happened in this case? If Possessed Villager was the only minion and it procced, I feel like that's a bug. If it was one of several cleared at the same time, it's just a weird interaction quirk that can happen sometimes.

ahh, that would make sense.

this brings to mind something that I've thought ever since the original kazakus was released: why isn't there any documentation in this game? obviously blizzard has a rulebook that precisely and verbosely explains how everything actually works, because they would've had to write one in the process of programming the game. so why not put together a nice-looking pdf and add a dedicated link to it in the app, buried in the options somewhere? is the logic of the game a trade secret or something?

or even down to individual cards like kazakus. in the middle of a game, it's fine to just say "Battlecry: craft a custom Potion" - but when I'm browsing my collection, why can't I see all the effects? I can own a card and not have a clue what it actually does unless I exit the game and go to an unofficial wiki? there's already a "more" popup for corrupted cards and new hero powers and stuff. do that but more!

Boatswain posted:

FYI there's no pity timer on the new Standard packs :saddowns:

would be nice if this were a bug, but, well,

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sometimes you get a draw so good that you kinda feel bad about.

The results was a mere 7 damage of overkill. And they play a taelen and lifesteal spells and got a couple soul fragments

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Jeza posted:

Here's the replay: https://hsreplay.net/replay/FmDUFfVFfot8mWzQuEhJr3

Turn 2. I run a hyena into the villager, it's the only minion on their board, it dies, deathrattles, then the secret procs. The villager was played before the secret, so I guess it had priority to resolve.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

ahh, that would make sense.

this brings to mind something that I've thought ever since the original kazakus was released: why isn't there any documentation in this game? obviously blizzard has a rulebook that precisely and verbosely explains how everything actually works, because they would've had to write one in the process of programming the game. so why not put together a nice-looking pdf and add a dedicated link to it in the app, buried in the options somewhere? is the logic of the game a trade secret or something?

I think it just comes down to that being an additional expense, and for 99% of the interactions in the game it's obvious what's going to happen. You get the occasional weirdo interaction like the ones upthread or explosive runes with divine shielded minions, but everyone figures them out quickly enough and the only real negative effect is salty posts on reddit.

On the other hand, if you had official documentation, that's probably at least a full time staff member along with increased load on the internationalization team to translate all your rules. And if you're documenting to the level of errata that it would cover things like this Avenge interaction, that's a non-trivial amount of work actually just figuring out how the game actually does work so you can document it properly (and there's zero chance any rulebook would be considered more authoritative than the actual game)

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

The Avenge card text is hosed anyway. Says whenever a friendly minion dies, but it only works if your minion dies on your opponents turn. Can't trade a minion in to buff another one.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

hahaha cool

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

The Avenge card text is hosed anyway. Says whenever a friendly minion dies, but it only works if your minion dies on your opponents turn. Can't trade a minion in to buff another one.

secrets in general explicitly only activate on your opponent's turn, so that's implied by the "Secret:" text. but yeah, a ding dang rulebook would help players know that, so i intend to die on this hill

in other news, the three new DH cards combined with my pathological need to make decks that summon the thickest boys. it's not very good but I don't care. open to ideas and insights

### my cute demon babies
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Illidari Studies
# 1x (1) Throw Glaive
# 2x (2) Sigil of Flame
# 2x (2) Sigil of Summoning
# 2x (2) Spectral Sight
# 2x (3) Felrattler
# 2x (3) Vile Call
# 2x (4) Raging Felscreamer
# 2x (5) Chaos Nova
# 1x (5) Shadow Hunter Vol'jin
# 2x (6) Fel Summoner
# 2x (6) Skull of Gul'dan
# 2x (7) Priestess of Fury
# 2x (8) Illidari Inquisitor
# 2x (8) Taintheart Tormenter
# 2x (9) Pit Commander
#
AAECAbn5AwLL3QPg5QMO2cYDg8cD18gD2NMD8+MD/eoDve0D/u0DoO4Dr+8DgIUEgZ8E1J8EtKAEAA==
#

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I remember being quite confused for a while as a new player when I summoned, resurrected etc battlecry cards and didn't get the effect. So just a paragraph of proper explanation of each effect somewhere wouldn't go amiss tbh..

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

My personal pet peeve is cards that make other cards that don’t explain what they do with no way to look it up in game. Why should I have to google what Dream cards are

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

legitimately trash to play against this class

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Can Phoenix packs include cards from the next expansion if I keep banking them until it releases?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Can Phoenix packs include cards from the next expansion if I keep banking them until it releases?

Nah, Phoenix packs would only contain cards released last year.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Diamond 10, god bless FaceHunter.

### Face
# Class: Hunter
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 2x (1) Arcane Shot
# 2x (1) Demon Companion
# 2x (1) Intrepid Initiate
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (1) Wolpertinger
# 2x (1) Wound Prey
# 2x (2) Imprisoned Felmaw
# 2x (2) Kolkar Pack Runner
# 2x (2) Quick Shot
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 1x (4) Knife Vendor
# 2x (4) Piercing Shot
# 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
# 2x (4) Warsong Wrangler
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 2x (5) Trampling Rhino
#
AAECAairBAS04QOP4wPl7wPn8AMNorkD3MwDos4DgtADudIDhuID3OoDn+wD8OwD2+0DqZ8Eqp8Eu6AEAA==
#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m just past level 100 and have about 1000 gold. Should I try to earn the rest to buy the mini expansion?

Edit: As opposed to spending real money.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 5, 2021