Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Endorph posted:

my bad on the pronoun thing. also that wasnt my point, my point was that people point to sonicfox as an example of being progressive but like, they're only accepted in the fgc cause theyre good at games.

Oh for sure, people used to try and drag them constantly earlier on before their crazy stomping became unassailable, though I feel like the better idea isn't so much "The FGC is progressive, look at SonicFox" and more "It's cool that someone like SonicFox makes the FGC more approachable to LGBTQ fans" kinda thing. Less "Everything is fine, we got some gays" but that they're a good force for moving things forward at least some amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean i dont think sonicfox really does, is the thing. like not taking aim at them or anything or saying they should be doing more, more in the sense of like, sonicfox is a young upbeat person who's extremely good at the games they play, imagine if some 40 year old balding dmab person came out in a dress and wanted to be called she/her while drowning in pools, you know what i mean? i dont think sonicfox has actually done anything. ive definitely seen some articles push a like 'sonicfox, who opened the doors for lgbt people in the fgc/competitive gaming' thing and it just isnt really true at all. i dont think things are really any different before they came around.

thats nothing against them, i think they can be a bit much sometimes but good for them for doing what they want. more just venting ig.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I get that, I guess I've just sort of seen at least a little more interest from some buddies who used to not be as into fitan games, with some of it coming from showing them off. It's still a great big way to go, but some representation especially at barely arguably the top of the game is cool and is a little step imo.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah uh things are openning up here and I went to a smash local with the tag SheBoba and lets just say I won't ever be going to a local again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah uh things are openning up here and I went to a smash local with the tag SheBoba and lets just say I won't ever be going to a local again.

Ugh. That sucks, sorry.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah I was really just going to try and make friends after the pandemic? I dunno, luckily Rally's discord for smash is awesome, so I'll always have people to play with, even if it's online.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
What really bugs me about the fgc is when someone says something like "you're a (insert slur), kill yourself you're worthless" the fgc is like "maybe you guys should do a first to five" and platform the abuser.

Beyond that, most of the time the victim is only in the spotlight because of their accolades at the game, and the random troll gets treated as a pro just because they're an rear end in a top hat.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 5, 2021

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dragon enthusiast posted:

i thought the stencil font mocking was mostly japes while the actual reason goons give him guff was for throwing his sister into a radiator

What

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Who is the audience for Virtua Fighter 5? Is there an audience for it?

I remember playing the original on the Saturn at Toys'R'Us and thinking, "Whoa, this poo poo is next level" solely because of the graphics, but I've been playing VF5 today since it's the free PS+ download, and, goddamn, this is just all so bland. The gameplay is still plodding, Akira is somehow still the only recognizable character, there's nothing to the story, the music isn't memorable, the voice acting is painful...

I'm sure this is a Bad Take because the reason the fighting is so dull from a novice's perspective is because it's actually very precise and technical and so on, and I don't begrudge people for liking it if that's why they like it, but boy there is nothing here to grab a casual gamer from what I experienced.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Samurai Showdown might be the best fighting game I've ever played.

*stumbles into the thread like Kramer*

Did someone say Samurai Shodown!??!

Also I don't know if this was posted already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdsS1aBMkYg

EDIT: Wait poo poo, I forgot Kramer said some really loving awful stuff. Pretend I stumbled into the thread like a different comic relief character

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

there was a poster that chased evil canadian (rooflemonger) around and posted that and frankly i have no idea what to make of it

but yeah the thumbnails are still really bad looking even for the intent they're going for

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

FrostyPox posted:

*stumbles into the thread like Kramer*

Did someone say Samurai Shodown!??!

Also I don't know if this was posted already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdsS1aBMkYg

EDIT: Wait poo poo, I forgot Kramer said some really loving awful stuff. Pretend I stumbled into the thread like a different comic relief character

how he gonna fight with no sword. smdh.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

how he gonna fight with no sword. smdh.

They turn you into swiss cheese with a flying orb

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

surf rock posted:

Who is the audience for Virtua Fighter 5? Is there an audience for it?

I remember playing the original on the Saturn at Toys'R'Us and thinking, "Whoa, this poo poo is next level" solely because of the graphics, but I've been playing VF5 today since it's the free PS+ download, and, goddamn, this is just all so bland. The gameplay is still plodding, Akira is somehow still the only recognizable character, there's nothing to the story, the music isn't memorable, the voice acting is painful...

I'm sure this is a Bad Take because the reason the fighting is so dull from a novice's perspective is because it's actually very precise and technical and so on, and I don't begrudge people for liking it if that's why they like it, but boy there is nothing here to grab a casual gamer from what I experienced.

I don’t think it’s a slow game at all. It’s very fast with regards to the number of decisions you are making and trying to recognize patterns from your opponent. The aesthetic isn’t for everyone but the animations are excellent and give each character a lot of personality.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Of all the complaints you could level against VF, "slow" makes absolutely no sense to me

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's definitely a complaint someone who doesnt know what theyre talking about could levy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Match Momentum feels so much more real in vf than other games. I get one good hit and i feel like a god while the opponent is hopelessly battered and frame trapped for the whole round

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anime was right posted:

there was a poster that chased evil canadian (rooflemonger) around and posted that and frankly i have no idea what to make of it

but yeah the thumbnails are still really bad looking even for the intent they're going for

I remember them getting very pissy when we told them the thumbnails looked like rear end, but I've seem them still post every now and then here. I think it's just that a lot of people stopped posting as much after SFV S1.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

if VF doesn't grab you, it's fine. There's a shitload of nostalgia surrounding it, and if you didn't grow up going to the arcades and hearing the vf2 coin sound over and over again I can see why it'd be harder to care.

I can say that there are a few system specific things to learn, like guard cancelling and fuzzy guard and the big input window. Theres a lot you can do at even the lowest level of play though, and theres tons of mechanics and system oddities to keep you occupied forever if its your jam.

At the very least, its cool you got to play it without paying for it, outside of ps+

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

teagone posted:

I don't care for Max's YouTube content tbh, but I've always enjoyed throwing his live stream on to decompress with after a long rear end day. His friends, save for Kenny, can be super annoying though.

Steeb can be annoying in Yo! Videogames streams (he tends to play hard into his character), but as a solo streamer I think he can be fun to watch.

Now Simmons, on the other hand, reminds me of the persona lovely teen me used to think was cool, and it's really not fun to watch.

Boba Pearl posted:

Samurai Showdown might be the best fighting game I've ever played.

I loved that game so much, it's actively affected my character choices in other games. There's no way I would have played Onimaru in Fantasy Strike or Nago in Strive beforehand

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Real hurthling! posted:

Match Momentum feels so much more real in vf than other games. I get one good hit and i feel like a god while the opponent is hopelessly battered and frame trapped for the whole round

I started to notice that today too. It's extremely satisfying, and when I'm on the receiving end of it I can generally only feel like it's my fault instead of some bullshit which is kinda nice

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The only really unfair poo poo ive seen so far is a bunch of chars having throws that dont look like throws at all so im scratching my head how those kicks or whatever got through my block

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

The only really unfair poo poo ive seen so far is a bunch of chars having throws that dont look like throws at all so im scratching my head how those kicks or whatever got through my block

It'd be a bigger deal in another game, but VF has always had super-rigid throw rules, so after you get caught a couple times you either start throwing low punches into it whenever you see it's startup or you just start following everything you do with like three throw break commands including the one for the weird throw that just kicks you in the face twice because that's a throw, right?

Or you just play Lion and spend your entire life randomly swaying and ducking throws as a natural part of playing Lion and wonder why you hear the sound of grinding coming from the opponent's mic.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
GSo I've been poorly grinding it out on ranked tonight. First, the animations, plus the high damage are totally what make vf cool to me. Never played one before and I'm sold on those two things alone.

Second, the rules are such that when you're playing dumb newbies, you really can blow them up with well timed jabs and elbows when they go low, if they even bother to go low, and you can toss in the occasional kick when you've got breathing room. Like for all the talk of it being technical, I think the design is dope. In a sense, it rewards spammers at low levels, cause you can't throw them, but, and I don't really quite understand why this is yet, it's also much easier to figure out how to blow them up. A lot of other games I feel like I gotta lab it or ask someone but with vf it's just a round or two and I've got it. I dunno I love it. Doubt I'll ever be great but it just feels smooth and cleanly designed to me.

But mostly I love that you can break the tool kit way down and use only the most basic parts, get away with it, and it still feels good where a lot of other games it would both look and feel lame and lovely.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

BurningBeard posted:

In a sense, it rewards spammers at low levels, cause you can't throw them, but, and I don't really quite understand why this is yet, it's also much easier to figure out how to blow them up. A lot of other games I feel like I gotta lab it or ask someone but with vf it's just a round or two and I've got it. I dunno I love it. Doubt I'll ever be great but it just feels smooth and cleanly designed to me.

its because when you press the right button and smash someone in vf it does like 30% in 1 hit

the game is fast too so a lot of the time you can keep hitting someone and it can be over very quickly. the pace can be nuts

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

anime was right posted:

a couple of other good channels are: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheoryFighter
and: https://www.youtube.com/user/MeowsyOnEUW

much smaller channels but they actually talk about games in greater depth than most youtubers do (with the exception of core-a, which is probably the gold standard for fighting game youtube channels)

Oh, Theoryfighter is a cool fella alright.

Ketchup and Mustard are a good follow if you like NRS games and are/were top 8 evo lecel without being dicks.

LiJoe is probably my favourite fgc streamer, his current virtua fighter obsession is great to watch.

edit: Oh, thats Leons channel yeah, great longer videos, again a genuinely nice person

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sajam and Max made me double take. There's possibly a thread title in there.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
talking of video content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzq65ixVtBU

i have my doubts about the stability of this dude

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mr. Locke posted:

It'd be a bigger deal in another game, but VF has always had super-rigid throw rules, so after you get caught a couple times you either start throwing low punches into it whenever you see it's startup or you just start following everything you do with like three throw break commands including the one for the weird throw that just kicks you in the face twice because that's a throw, right?

Or you just play Lion and spend your entire life randomly swaying and ducking throws as a natural part of playing Lion and wonder why you hear the sound of grinding coming from the opponent's mic.

Honestly, I'm so glad I picked up Lion, he seems customed designed to incite rage in the other player while you poke them in the ankles with your fingertip til they die

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ash Crimson posted:

talking of video content

https://twitter.com/voltzthunder/status/1401030314982531072
https://twitter.com/Zaprodex/status/1401030911135830016

no kidding

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I once told a story a very long time ago about a fight I had when I was a child and goons have harassed me for it for 15+ years now

Dias posted:

I remember them getting very pissy when we told them the thumbnails looked like rear end, but I've seem them still post every now and then here. I think it's just that a lot of people stopped posting as much after SFV S1.

My thumbnails are fine. The same few goons who harass me about the same old crap are the ones who have had a meltdown over my thumbnails though. I know they aren't great. I don't need them to be great, I am in fact quite happy with them. In a month or so I am hitting 100k subscribers on youtube, thumbnails ain't everything lol.

Anyways GG strive looking cool, happy VF is a thing again.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 5, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

this is only a sliver of the madness that lies within

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

Ketchup and Mustard are a good follow if you like NRS games and are/were top 8 evo lecel without being dicks.

I have no interest in playing NRS games, but I love those guys' videos for showcasing how loving weird and jank the MK games have been. It's super interesting to me.

Someone mentioned him already, but I like a lot of LordKnight's videos. He's usually good humored and level headed about his opinions and thoughts, especially when it comes to GG and DBFZ.

Pat's articles are dope too, but I haven't checked him out in a while.

E: That Smash guy should team up with Clayton Chapman for some peak instability content

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Smash is such a good game with literally the most insane people on the planet playing it lol

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

Honestly, I'm so glad I picked up Lion, he seems customed designed to incite rage in the other player while you poke them in the ankles with your fingertip til they die

Lion was my main from 2 up until 4 Evo where I finally swapped to Vanessa. The best part of Lion is that he just forces his opponent to rethink all their punishes because he spends so much time either in weird positions, often shifts his location as part of recovery from his moves, or just isn't as negative as they think he is on a character that IIRC has a frame 1 high AND low crushes still in VF5 (nowhere near as oppressive as Eileen can be about this, but still a good thing to have) AND one of the most infuriatingly active sabakis in the game against high punches (pretty decent one against mid kicks too if you can get the read.)

He's just so smugly punchable and then you learn he's arguably the hardest character in the game to actually punch without learning some Lion-specific stuff and minds start breaking.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The only good thing about Leffen is Deep Leffen Bot

for example

https://twitter.com/DeepLeffen/status/1395800391762251781?s=20

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

The only good thing about Leffen is Deep Leffen Bot

for example

https://twitter.com/DeepLeffen/status/1395800391762251781?s=20

it's great and you don't need to know a single thing about leffen or the smash scene for it to be funny. the only good bot on twitter

https://twitter.com/DeepLeffen/status/1388179117590392832

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ash Crimson posted:

talking of video content

https://twitter.com/yohosiefgc/status/1401046934014488579

there's some kinda heavy poo poo here apparently

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

the heavy poo poo is that the dude is clearly legit mentally unwell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah. leffen cna be a dick but its not that there's anything real in that video, its that hax has clearly lost his marbles.