Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bleck posted:

what the gently caress. come on, dude
Sorry, I should have checked which forum I was posting in first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I have nothing but hate in my heart for video games, and I very begrudgingly play them, miserable all the time.

I only play video games so I have an excuse to shitpost about video games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, I enjoyed XenoX until I finished getting to the last part of the last zone to see what was there and then it was like I hit a wall. I had to force myself to finish the actual storyline, being sent to areas I'd already been to but couldn't skip, it was just a slog. I don't usually get such a clear signal of what I found engaging about a game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega64 posted:

I have nothing but hate in my heart for video games, and I very begrudgingly play them, miserable all the time.

I only play video games so I have an excuse to shitpost about video games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I adore Xenoblade X's aesthetic and basic concepts because Tetsuya Takahashi, underneath heavy monitoring by Nintendo, created Xenoblade 1 and once that was a hit they let him off the leash and he immediately ran out to make another Xenogearsian multi-game arc sci-fi space opera mecha epic. Only this time it's inspired by 00s/10s mecha anime instead of 80s/90s mecha anime, and it's loving bizarre. Every single alien seems to exist on the Girlfriend From Canada concept where there's just the One of them and hey you just missed all my friends they were here a second ago!

I dropped like $250 CAD on that rare Art of Mira book a few months back and it's wonderful, there's a ton of discarded concept arts and sketches of the original plans for XBX and there's all these organic space ships and space princesses and dark knights and human-robot hybrids and all I can wonder is what they were originally doing. Out of all the post-Gears Xeno games it's the one that gives me the most Gears vibe, which is strange because Xenosaga exists for the express purpose of being a 3000 year old prequel to it. It's just a game I find fascinating, like I want to sit down with Takahashi for like an hour and ask him what he was going for or why they did this or that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Augus posted:

actually Xenogears is the best one because the PS1-era “high-quality sprites over a low-poly background” aesthetic kicks rear end

see also: tomba and mischief makers

The sprites in Xenogears were significantly worse than Breath of Fire 3 and 4 in terms of definition.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

American McGay posted:

Hot take: most video games are good.

Turn on your switch

E: eh, Real hurthling! already made this joke but better

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3HiXYdFz38

I'm posting this smash bros documentary because its awesome

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mister Facetious posted:

The sprites in Xenogears were significantly worse than Breath of Fire 3 and 4 in terms of definition.

Maybe but it wasn't insanely boring like BoF 3&4

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nintendo Switch COLOR

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Motto posted:

Maybe Xenoblade 1 gets more consistently interesting at some point, but save for the exploration it feels like a bunch of big lulls between the occasional fun cutscene.

XB1 came out around the same time as metroid other m. it was a dark time for video games and we took anything we could get

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

XB1 came out around the same time as metroid other m. it was a dark time for video games and we took anything we could get

Unfortunately XB2 isn't much different.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

the only hot take ill ever post in tgis thread is that all xeno games are extremely bad, but kudos to gears for taking some great risks to produce something so charming

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

the only hot take ill ever post in tgis thread is that all xeno games are extremely bad, but kudos to gears for taking some great risks to produce something so charming

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yo wtf????

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Real hurthling! posted:

Idk how x could be worse than playing 2 at launch

XCX feels even more unfinished than XC2 because while XC2 suffered from Nintendo stealing devs for BOTW, XCX pretty much wanted to be an MMO and do a ton of things they didn't have the resources to make happen and the game didn't get nearly enough polish when it was cut back in scope.

The Bloop posted:

I would love the story and visuals of Xenoblade much more with nearly any other type of combat system

You'll be able to do this on June 9th when Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis launches (not on the Switch).

Mega64 posted:

XenoX is great until your mech gets flight and you finally explore everything, then you realize the combat and story are pointless, and by that point you've already done all the cool sidequests like getting aliens hooked on pizza and recruiting the PC named Murderer (her gimmick is she murders random people because why not) and the fifty other PCs that you can't really use because your party almost always requires the same three characters.

XCX letting you recruit friends and randos (a thing that has been in PSO2 forever) as party members is really cool but yeah since 90% of the game forces you to take Elma and the annoying kid that :reddit: got mad that the US censored, you can't really make much use of other party members. You'll also need to get a 3rd character's affinity up because the story gets gated behind an affinity mission for them. Never used the character? Have fun affinity grinding until you can run it.

I'll be shocked if XCX ever comes out on the Switch because it's such a mess that the effort of fixing it would be better spent making a new game and if they just release it as-is with some tweaks for single-screen gameplay it'll probably poison the Xenoblade brand and hurt the sale of future games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm curious as to why XCX became more MMO like because the book establishes that earlier on they had a more linear game in mind with a set protagonist, love interest, etc.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I don't like the mememememememe nopon and his creepy underage fuckbot.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Evil Fluffy posted:

XCX letting you recruit friends and randos (a thing that has been in PSO2 forever) as party members is really cool but yeah since 90% of the game forces you to take Elma and the annoying kid that :reddit: got mad that the US censored, you can't really make much use of other party members.

As the resident XCX fan I feel obligated to point out that there's literally 12 missions in the main story. The side content is massive, much better written, and lets you use any party members you want.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Uh fuckbot?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The maid character poppy has what one might surmise are sexual modes created by her cartoon rabbit designer

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Did anyone actually play all three paths on Fire Emblem Three Houses? I just finished the Golden Deer route and was relatively thorough with everything in the monastery, ended up at about 50 hours. I’m interested in doing the other paths and seeing why certain characters acted the way they did, but it seems like too much to play through the first act of the game two more times.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Did anyone actually play all three paths on Fire Emblem Three Houses? I just finished the Golden Deer route and was relatively thorough with everything in the monastery, ended up at about 50 hours. I’m interested in doing the other paths and seeing why certain characters acted the way they did, but it seems like too much to play through the first act of the game two more times.

No.

I did all four paths.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I only played Golden Deer and I plan to someday do the other two, but it was so much - and so good! - that I definitely needed to take a long break from it before starting again

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

My wife has like 700 hrs in fe3h so there must be something there

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

My wife has like 700 hrs in fe3h so there must be something there

Jesus. It took me 150 to do my four (it's really technically more like 3.5) runs but I can't imagine going for more than 4 times that long.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
There are like 3.5 paths in Three Houses, I did the Edelgard one and maybe 1/3 of the way into the Blue Lions but I kind of lost interest in playing more after that.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I did Deer - Lions - Eagles, but I burned out about 3/4 of the way through the last one and iron manned the last 4 maps. If I ever manage to play again, I'll probably do Deer again because I like all of them. I still need to do the Wolves too. I finished my runs before that DLC was out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I didnt like the combat very much or how many loving pop up boxes you need to click through every week on the calendar so i was like here honey salvage this purchase, you love the old fe games and then i lost access to the switch for 2 years

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I played all the houses except the church because I'm not a loving narc

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think XCX's messy design is best summed up by the fact that you can be out in the world and find a marker to start a quest, but you can't start that quest without first getting the pre-requisite quest. The pre-requisite quest is a quest from the city mission board that just says "go to this spot (where you just were) to start a quest". Those pre-requisite quests cycle in the mission board randomly so it may take you a while to be able to get the quest to return to the spot you were already at to start the quest you want to do.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Nuke this thread from orbit but make sure Len is at the edge of the blast radius so that they see it coming and have just enough time to regret all of their life decisions before their retinas melt.

Edit: poo poo people have stopped talking about switch pro rumors but I don't take any of it back.

poonchasta fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 5, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I don't think len has been that bad recently.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

we haven't heard from that one poster that hates the Switch and everything about it and needs to let everyone know in a while

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

good

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

poonchasta posted:

Nuke this thread from orbit but make sure Len is at the edge of the blast radius so that they see it coming and have just enough time to regret all of their life decisions before their retinas melt.

Edit: poo poo people have stopped talking about switch pro rumors but I don't take any of it back.

No, put me at the edge and I will try and hip thrust at the exact point of impact.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

we haven't heard from that one poster that hates the Switch and everything about it and needs to let everyone know in a while

You fool! Don’t summon them again!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nintendo Switch Pocket
Double the battery life with half the screen! Joycons remain the same size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Maroon Hawk posted:

We did actually, they just didn't post their hatred of the Switch. Surprisingly.