Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'd be more inclined to believe it was a coincidence if Capcom didn't have a rich history of going "HEY, COOL DESIGN" for any number of characters from Jojo, Fist of the North Star, professional wrestling, MMA, etc

I'm not trying to throw shade either, a little transparent derivativeness never hurt anybody. If it did, League of Legends would be considered thought crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mazed posted:

The list of things Berserk inspired is incredibly vast, but absolutely ridden with mediocrity. Sturgeon's law is emphatically real.

I would assert that the few Berserk "tributes" that actually work (that I've seen) are the Dark Souls games, which use a toned-down facsimile of the aesthetic (dialed back up in the third, which is more Berserk-grade tense and grotesque) and maintains a melancholic thread about the nature of humanity, and Final Fantasy, which puts a spin on the Guts-Griffith dynamic with Cloud and Sephiroth in FF7, and in FF14 has the Dark Knight quests, which take an introspective look at dealing with trauma and loss.

Also Dragon's Dogma which has a pretty good Golden Age/early post-golden age vibes and several of its side quests and characters directly homage Berserk in a few ways. The original release of the game even had Guts and Griffith's golden age armor in it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mazed posted:

and in FF14 has the Dark Knight quests, which take an introspective look at dealing with trauma and loss.

:shittypop: I loved 30-50 and the 80 quest, I should really bump this up the queue.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mazed posted:

The list of things Berserk inspired is incredibly vast, but absolutely ridden with mediocrity. Sturgeon's law is emphatically real.

I would assert that the few Berserk "tributes" that actually work (that I've seen) are the Dark Souls games, which use a toned-down facsimile of the aesthetic (dialed back up in the third, which is more Berserk-grade tense and grotesque) and maintains a melancholic thread about the nature of humanity, and Final Fantasy, which puts a spin on the Guts-Griffith dynamic with Cloud and Sephiroth in FF7, and in FF14 has the Dark Knight quests, which take an introspective look at dealing with trauma and loss.

While I never got a firm confirmation from the author that Between Two Fires is inspired by Berserk, it has so many goddamn similarities. 14th century setting where demons are starting to appear, grizzled former knight shepherding a defenseless yet magical individual through a ruined landscape, a corrupt church whose new leader is probably the antichrist, a guy that transforms into a lion demon in a cloud of mist, a demon that latches onto people while they're sleeping and makes them almost kill their companions, a flashback to the protagonist's time as a soldier when he was betrayed and his love-interest taken away, descriptions of Hell that do the Eclipse justice. It's just... so Berserk. If there was ever a novelization that attempted to conclude Berserk, Buehlman would be my choice to write it.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 2, 2021

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Got up through the Tower of Conviction arc in my reread.

God drat. Luca is just the best character. The best person.

"Bunch of hosed up demons eating everyone, but you need to remember to take care of yourself."

"Guess I've died and gone to hell. How's your day going, Skull Knight?"

"Pour one out for the weird little egg man. Yeah this might be all his fault, but he had it rough."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm not liking how close Griffith is getting to this princess.

GUTS NO!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 2, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mazed posted:

"Bunch of hosed up demons eating everyone, but you need to remember to take care of yourself."

"Pour one out for the weird little egg man. Yeah this might be all his fault, but he had it rough."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Dark Knight quests in FFXIV are certainly heavily inspired by Berserk but I deeply hope that Berserk is a cut above those, as they really didn't live up to the hype when I played them and to this day I don't understand why players are so enamored with them. I am hopeful however that since Berserk is the source material and it has its own living world, it will be a lot better than those quests. Take the recommendations with a grain of salt regarding the hype.

I'll leave it there since this isn't the FFXIV thread and I don't post in there anyway anymore, but hey, if anyone wants to DM me about it you can.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is there official confirmation that Griffith/Femto’s helmet is at least partially inspired by Phantom of the Paradise?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Ccs posted:

While I never got a firm confirmation from the author that Between Two Fires is inspired by Berserk, it has so many goddamn similarities. 14th century setting where demons are starting to appear, grizzled former knight shepherding a defenseless yet magical individual through a ruined landscape, a corrupt church whose new leader is probably the antichrist, a guy that transforms into a lion demon in a cloud of mist, a demon that latches onto people while they're sleeping and makes them almost kill their companions, a flashback to the protagonist's time as a soldier when he was betrayed and his love-interest taken away, descriptions of Hell that do the Eclipse justice. It's just... so Berserk. If there was ever a novelization that attempted to conclude Berserk, Buehlman would be my choice to write it.

While I'd say that Between Two Fires has that 'Berserk' feeling (and is an awesome book) I think this is the case where it's not one inspiring the other but both taking inspiration in similar stuff.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 2, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So we were talking about how Miura’s insane schedule as a manga author might have contributed to health problems. Anyway Rumiko Takahashi recently shared her schedule.

● Before noon: Do the inking for seven or eight pages of character artwork
● Noon: Eat lunch, do housework
● 4 p.m.: Read, do housework
● 7 p.m.: Eat dinner, do housework
● 9 p.m.: Start drawing new artwork
● 9 a.m.: Temporarily stop working, go to bed
● 4 p.m.: Start drawing
● 7 p.m.: Take a break, eat dinner
● 8 p.m.: Start drawing again

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Dear Manga Publishers (which I know several of the most prominent read this thread),

Please just commission far more series and slash the output rate you expect from artists! Give the people who make your magazines worthwhile some time to be human.

Or better yet, over throw the global system of Capitalism. One or the other would be fine! THANKS!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You're in luck, my uncle works at Berserk, i'll pass on the message!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mazed posted:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am retroactively very glad Miura slowed down his output over the last several years so he could take time to sit around and play Idolmaster or whatever the hell he was doing. A tragedy it didn't come soon enough to save his body, but I hope he took advantage of the time between chapters to actually have some leisure.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Popo posted:

Dear Manga Publishers (which I know several of the most prominent read this thread),

Please just commission far more series and slash the output rate you expect from artists! Give the people who make your magazines worthwhile some time to be human.

Or better yet, over throw the global system of Capitalism. One or the other would be fine! THANKS!

I know this is just a shitpost, but none of this works unless publishers start paying manga artists far more per chapter than they currently do. Make weekly manga biweekly instead and manga artists will make half as much unless you also double their pay per chapter. And now publishers are either paying the same amount for half as much content or twice as much for the same amount of content (if they get new manga to fill the gaps). Do I think they should do this? Yes. Will it ever happen? Absolutely not unless they are forced into it, either by government intervention or collective action. Doesn't matter how many mangaka die. This is not something manga publishers will ever willingly change.

Collective action is an impossibly high hurdle in the current climate, so that's probably out. And when I say government intervention, I mean something like new or reformed labor laws. But that would probably only happen in the event of a death or series of deaths so high-profile and tragic that it actually forces some major players to sit down and reevaluate things. Which, speaking of, was there any real reaction to Miura's passing in Japan outside of otaku/pop culture circles? Anyone talking about it as a thing that they can't continue to let happen? Or is it being framed as just another unavoidable tragedy to be forgotten in a few weeks, like all the other mangaka deaths so far?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 3, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I should go to bed but I wanna see if the Band of the Hawk captures Doldrey!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I know this is just a shitpost, but none of this works unless publishers start paying manga artists far more per chapter than they currently do. Make weekly manga biweekly instead and manga artists will make half as much unless you also double their pay per chapter. And now publishers are either paying the same amount for half as much content or twice as much for the same amount of content (if they get new manga to fill the gaps). Do I think they should do this? Yes. Will it ever happen? Absolutely not unless they are forced into it, either by government intervention or collective action. Doesn't matter how many mangaka die. This is not something manga publishers will ever willingly change.

I would never begrudge him it, but Oda's seeming robustness is definitely not a positive for for anyone who wants manga artists to have the option to slow it down some

It makes me think back to what the Studio Gaga guy said about how the best way to help artists it to eliminate piracy. Artists have every right to be cheesed off about their work being pirated, but the whole "Piracy=Lost Sales" logic has been blasted so full of holes, it makes me sad to think that the guys who're in the thick of it think that is a bigger problem than stuff like unreasonable deadlines and and dirt low pay

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 3, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

I would never begrudge him it, but Oda's seeming robustness is definitely not a positive for for anyone who wants manga artists to have the option to slow it down some

It makes me think back to what the Studio Gaga guy said about how the best way to help artists it to eliminate piracy. Artists have every right to be cheesed off about their work being pirated, but the whole "Piracy=Lost Sales" logic has been blasted so full of holes, it makes me sad to think that the guys who're in the thick of it think that is a bigger problem than stuff like unreasonable deadlines and and dirt low pay

They largely do because that's what they've been told, repeatedly

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Mazed posted:

Yeah she is. Throughout the entire arc I was expecting her to betray Casca and the girls at some point because so far the world of Berserk had been a crapsack world and she was either a hypocrite with a superiority complex like Griffith or because her life would be in danger and she'd use Casca and the girls as a bargaining chip.

But then it turns out she is a genuinely nice lady and her whole reason for being like that is "hey, this is a crapsack world, someone's gotta be nice" :unsmith:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Somebody did obsever that she's pretty much a saint by Beserk's morality.
The world sucks, but that's not an excuse. Be the best person you can be and look out for those you care about.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The Golden Age is really reminiscent of the early Suikoden games. Or vice versa, whichevs.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

David D. Davidson posted:

Somebody did obsever that she's pretty much a saint by Beserk's morality.
The world sucks, but that's not an excuse. Be the best person you can be and look out for those you care about.

Pretty much a saint by my morality too tbh

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ccs posted:

So we were talking about how Miura’s insane schedule as a manga author might have contributed to health problems. Anyway Rumiko Takahashi recently shared her schedule.

● Before noon: Do the inking for seven or eight pages of character artwork
● 4 p.m.: Read, do housework
● 7 p.m.: Eat dinner, do housework
● 9 p.m.: Start drawing new artwork
● 9 a.m.: Temporarily stop working, go to bed
● 4 p.m.: Start drawing
● 7 p.m.: Take a break, eat dinner
● 8 p.m.: Start drawing again

Jesus christ. And she's getting older too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Smiling every time there's a spread

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bisse posted:

You're in luck, my uncle works at Berserk, i'll pass on the message!

thank you kind warrior

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Knight of Skeleton"

Oh is this the cool guy that everyone loves? Skullyman?

E: It's him!

I reeeeeeeally don't like how close Griffith is getting to the princess. This is about as close as one can get.

Yeah that went bad.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 4, 2021

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah that went bad.

:frogon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think being trapped in a torture dungeon for a year for loving the princess was part of his machinations is all

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think being trapped in a torture dungeon for a year for loving the princess was part of his machinations is all

Sometimes it seems like we make bad choices in life, but everything can always end up better if you just change your perspective! And have lots of friends you really care about!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Sometimes it seems like we make bad choices in life, but everything can always end up better if you just change your perspective! And have lots of friends you really care about!

You bastard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey, Griffith got his egg back! That's good, right?

E: Hey, it's Puck again! Feels like it's been about six years!

E2: :unsmigghh:

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 4, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, that's the Golden Age!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, that's the Golden Age!

Yeah

Yeah it was

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The good old days! :smith:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The even better new days :gibs:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

~Bloody Needle~

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Waffleman_ posted:

and then taunt the guy who put you there for being horny for the princess (his daughter)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mazed posted:

and then taunt the guy who put you there for being horny for the princess (his daughter)

And then he blames Griffith for when his daughter does not take an attempted incest well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
God I loving hate Charlotte. She is the stupidest character by a long mile and I couldn't see her becoming any smarter. Like I get it she was spoiled and sheltered, but come the gently caress on