Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ivypls posted:

david cage is the kind of dipshit loser that has definitely been having a low key inner meltdown ever since elliot page came out

this is absolutely guaranteed to be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

“But I’m not under oath, so can I lie?”

Who else heard this in Lionel Hutz’s voice?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ivypls posted:

david cage is the kind of dipshit loser that has definitely been having a low key inner meltdown ever since elliot page came out

I'd wager he's just perpetually pissed that one of his precious artistic pieces is forever tainted by having a queer protagonist.

Out of curiosity, did Beyond: Two Souls ever patch to update Elliot's name in the credits? (I fully assume the answer is no of course)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

stillvisions posted:

I'm waiting for the inevitable "scandal" one day where a group decides to do a "worked" RPG session and pretend it's not scripted. Pro RPG shoots versus works.

oh D&D grogs have been grumbling about Critical Role "fakeness" and Matt Mercers DM style for years and how that show ~ruined~ roleplaying

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Detroit is a funny game. The Hank/Connor stuff is legitimately fun, it's a classic old grumpy detective has to work with rookie story and that part of the game is genuinely pretty good and I think Hank and Conner make a good duo.

Then you have the other part of the game, where the robot pulls himself out of the garbage and grabs a super cool trench coat that just happens to be there waiting for him, in the pouring rain, and this is not meant to be a joke scene

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ivypls posted:

Grain of salt and all that, but Quantic Dream doesn’t “make games for fags,” Cage allegedly says.

:stonk:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

fatherboxx posted:

oh D&D grogs have been grumbling about Critical Role "fakeness" and Matt Mercers DM style for years and how that show ~ruined~ roleplaying

I have never watched an episode of Critical Role and I am one hundred percent confident that they're just upset that he's good at it

Bakeneko posted:

“But I’m not under oath, so can I lie?”

Who else heard this in Lionel Hutz’s voice?

:hmmyes:

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
There is a listicles channel called Outside Xbox that produces the usual top ten gaming stuff that you would expect but they also have a DnD campaign called Oxventure that is surprisingly very good/funny. If you enjoy comedy DnD ala Dragon Friends or Harmonquest then check it out.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

don longjohns posted:

I do not understand the appeal of a D&D podcast. I just don't. I run games every week and have even been paid to do so, and I just... I don't get it.

I think you answered your own question there. I'd reckon a lot of people listening don't have the opportunity for regular games for a variety of reasons, so the podcasts can act as filler.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Macaluso posted:

Detroit is a funny game. The Hank/Connor stuff is legitimately fun, it's a classic old grumpy detective has to work with rookie story and that part of the game is genuinely pretty good and I think Hank and Conner make a good duo.

Then you have the other part of the game, where the robot pulls himself out of the garbage and grabs a super cool trench coat that just happens to be there waiting for him, in the pouring rain, and this is not meant to be a joke scene

Don't forget the third part of the game where you have the servant robot risking her life constantly to save a little girl, and ends up undercutting all the questions it raises about human/robot bonds and whether a robot woman could be a parent to a human girl by revealing that the little girl was also a robot.

If the game had been focused solely on Hank/Connor with Connor merely investigating the the other characters' stuff happening in the background, it could have been a much better game. Marcus would have been a great antagonist to Connor

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/itsTomokocchi/status/1400578665574961158

There was also Woolie's deep, deflating sigh when the android was told to stand at the back of the bus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alacron posted:

I'm really eager to see if Monday's Jimquisition is gonna be about David Cage

https://twitter.com/BobToasters/status/1400478443326816263?s=20

Also you know he is a big bag of poo poo if he is a public figure losing a PR case with sexual pest poo poo in loving France. Dude is a giant sack of poo poo and hack fraud.

Famethrowa posted:

Knowing how Cage treated Elliot Page, and how much Elliot suffered with the industries sexulisation of him prior to coming out, i hope they throw the loving book at Cage.
They may at this point. Gross gently caress gave himself no cover.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The buddy-cop dynamic in Detroit is so good I wish it was a game by itself, and not directed by that prick.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i, too, agree that detroit would have been cool if it was a different game directed by a different person

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cage sucks rear end, but Detroit was neat enough, mainly for Connor and Hank's bits obviously.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't a lot of Connor and Hank just Clancy Brown and Bryan Dechart developing their own chemistry during the shoot, and Cage was more hands-off with them?

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 6, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that would explain why it's good then

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cage actively hated everything they were doing and kept trying to get them to stop

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

At some point the mcelroys forgot that TAZ was supposed to be a funny DnD podcast and not a Meaningful Moving piece of Important Fiction and it’s been kind of poo poo ever since, and the real proof is that their oneshots are still consistently loving hilarious because 90 minutes of improvisational comedy isn’t enough time to set up a bunch of maudlin bullshit and sad backstories

I feel like a lot of modern comedy falls into this.

Archer is a James Bond wanna be who is an utter prick to everyone around him. But then he starts caring about the people around him, especially Lana. Thats one example i can think of.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dabir posted:

Cage actively hated everything they were doing and kept trying to get them to stop

I remember hearing that, too. But I don't have the receipts.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dabir posted:

there's a lot of talk about death of the author in art but im pretty interested in art that defies the artist because other people are involved in the process

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CYBEReris posted:

there's a lot of talk about death of the author in art but im pretty interested in art that defies the artist because other people are involved in the process

I mean, that's partially what Death of the Author is about, you don't have an absolute "text", or rather, every text is a multitude of texts. So when you have something like a performing art, the people involved in performing it create a new text themselves. There's probably something more specific to acting/theater but I'm not familiar with that kind of theory.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
David cage is the kind of designer that wants to make a movie instead but not a good one.

Cinematically control the speed your hero opens a cupboard door, use every bathroom in the game.

I really did dig that stuff in Farenheit, but the story just went bonkers in a really stupid and dull way. The main character died and became a matrix man, the villain was the ai manifestation of the internet. But all it meant was some incomprehensable fight sceenes going on in the background while you played the same old simon says qtes in the foreground.

I never touched any of the later Quantic Dreams games despite being a huge fan of story driven adevnture game stuff because of how bad Farenheit ended. Sounds like I made the right call.

I did play a bit of Omikron though, which is absolutely facinating. All of David Cage's storytelling 'style' but in an era where they still put in gameplay so its paired with the worst the 90s had to offer in terms of bad shooting in enormous bland levels. But its an actual huge fairly open world that you get to explore, and has a system where you can possess npcs and this meta layer where 'your soul' specifically has been pulled into the game. You can let the main character die and continue playing. Its so ambitious and interesting but absolutely dogshit to actually play.

And then theres david bowie voicing 2 characters and providing extended versions of his songs with the word 'omikron' awkwardly inserted for the soundtrack which rules.

But yeah Cage is an awful creep and anyone who's played any one of his games shouldn't be suprised at that fact. Even omikron has awkard sex scenes (which is worse, farenheits 'sex scene occurs after main character is canonicaly a walking corpse' or Omikron's 'casually have sex with another persons wife while you're possesing their body'?).

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Fahrenheit is the closets gaming will ever get to The Room. That game's plot nose dives into crazy so loving fast.

Also someone needs to tell David Cage that you never go full Tommy Wesieu.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I still like the game for as crazy as it gets, but man, playing the demo back in the day, which was just the really cool intro murder scene in the diner, then seeing the rest of the game was some of the fastest "Man, this is crazy, this rules" to "Holy poo poo what is this"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Goddamn yeah the Indigo prophecy demo was cool. Covering up a crime and then investigating the crime scene as another character was great

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Goddamn yeah the Indigo prophecy demo was cool. Covering up a crime and then investigating the crime scene as another character was great

I love how nothing since ever lived up to this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arbite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqf4lOZEank

Hoo-lee smokes! For a 'back-to-basics' episode this one was an epic.

Don't miss it!

Holy loving poo poo, that last video is some incel copaganda that doesn't even bother to paint over the racism.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigRed0427 posted:

Fahrenheit is the closets gaming will ever get to The Room. That game's plot nose dives into crazy so loving fast.

Also someone needs to tell David Cage that you never go full Tommy Wesieu.

It's amazing how you can pinpoint the exact moment the game goes irrevocably into the toilet too; Stepping onto the roof of the orphanage.

Dabir posted:

Honestly I'd believe it. There's elements of Cage's typical touches, but it's coached in far better game design than usual and feels like it came out decent in spite of itself.

Mr Phillby posted:

But yeah Cage is an awful creep and anyone who's played any one of his games shouldn't be suprised at that fact. Even omikron has awkard sex scenes (which is worse, farenheits 'sex scene occurs after main character is canonicaly a walking corpse' or Omikron's 'casually have sex with another persons wife while you're possesing their body'?).

David Cage transparently has a type; Short-haired brunettes (And incidentally one of the ways you can kinda guess David Cage didn't get his way in making Detroit is because Kara never gets naked or does anything sexual :pseudo:). Elliot page coming out as trans after *points at burning dumpster fire of Beyond: Two Souls' development* must surely be pushing him close to an aneurysm.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The deep Rich & Mike lore of them being extras in Never Been Kissed and refusing to turn up for the shoot on the second day because of how loving miserable the experience was is incredible.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Holy loving poo poo, that last video is some incel copaganda that doesn't even bother to paint over the racism.

Yeah I thought they were being kinda uncharacteristically lefty by talking about how the cop was a hero for shooting black people, but no. That's what the movie showed.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

fatherboxx posted:

Has anyone gone full conspiracy theory yet with several hour long videos ranting about this? Not that I want to watch that but oh man that would be something. That takes things beyond "how dare you create media not made for me" into the hilarity of "how dare you consume media differently than me".

Things like CR have definitely changed how people go in to playing D&D mindset-wise, or at least bumped up interest for one segment of play style. I think the story is the same as ever - you need to find a group with a similar play style to yours, and the new crowd is very much the antithesis of the stats-mongers and item-collectors crowd.

I hate the stats mongers but not sure the new play style is my thing either - I've always been a little more on the casual RPG style and friends' tales of the characters that people run with now sounds like a party of super-extra characters. I don't think I could handle that energy level anymore, but I'm glad D&D has managed to accidentally reach out to an entirely new crowd for it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have to resume my Critical Role watch. I left off around episode 100. They recently wrapped up campaign 2 so that got me fired up to get back into them.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Within the next month, David Cage is gonna get drunk and post something really stupid online that makes his lawyer quit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly I'd believe it. There's elements of Cage's typical touches, but it's coached in far better game design than usual and feels like it came out decent in spite of itself.

I've always said that as to why I honestly liked Detroit a good bit, it's a David Cage game, but it also feels like the most reined in he's been.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Veotax posted:

The deep Rich & Mike lore of them being extras in Never Been Kissed and refusing to turn up for the shoot on the second day because of how loving miserable the experience was is incredible.

I love that they managed to identify Rich in the crowd wandering around the carnival all alone at 4 am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJpnzpCjmcs

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 5, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yardbomb posted:

I've always said that as to why I honestly liked Detroit a good bit, it's a David Cage game, but it also feels like the most reined in he's been.

Yeah, it writes like a David Cage game but when it comes to the moments you expect the plot to hard-swerve and poo poo the bed it just... doesn't. Like someone cracked the reins and said no to keep it on track.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, it writes like a David Cage game but when it comes to the moments you expect the plot to hard-swerve and poo poo the bed it just... doesn't. Like someone cracked the reins and said no to keep it on track.

oh i dunno the Actual Robot Extermination Camp was a bit much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Samovar posted:

I remember hearing that, too. But I don't have the receipts.

Bryan Dechart said basically "yeah a lot of the best stuff between Hank and Connor were done in spite of David Cage" in a livestream.