Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitznBurst posted:

I liked Knight bridal carrying Anosillus.

I’ve said it before but I would watch an entire series devoted solely to the adventures of Anti and his kaiju girlfriend

Also since SSSS Gridman was in a sense the Gridman F we never got maybe next time they could try their hand at bringing Gridman Sigma to life.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Anti and Ano are so cute together. both the carry and trying to give him a candy bar at the end.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Was it just me, or was everyone weirdly off-model in the first few minutes? I couldn’t tell if it was a deliberate stylistic choice for the ep or just a different animator.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Definitely stylistic to emphasise the weirdness and dream quality of the first few bits. Trigger likes to do that a lot.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also it was th whole episode i'm pretty sure.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Apraxin posted:

Was it just me, or was everyone weirdly off-model in the first few minutes? I couldn’t tell if it was a deliberate stylistic choice for the ep or just a different animator.

it's mostly due to the style of the specific animator who boarded/supervised this ep (he did the dream sequence ep of gridman too)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

When Trigger is great, they are loving GREAT.

Disney: "Hey lets make a movie explaining one of our villains and why she's so bad and isn't it deep? You see? Dalmatians were why!!"

Trigger: "We will give you more deep backstory in 23 minutes than you fuckers have done in a couple decades, bitch."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That was an Ultra Q rear end episode.

It's really easy to just say "These shows take their inspiration from the live action", but the way they do it, especially in cases like this with weird editing tricks and simulations of special effects that wouldn't look out of place on modestly budgeted live action TV, is pretty wild and shows a profound love for the inspiration.

im sad that toei is the studio making fuuto P.I. now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Anti and Second are adorable together and should be in every Gridman series that follows this (or better yet, just get their own show)

Don’t you dare hurt them Trigger.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 5, 2021

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Episode 10 was incredible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Sindai posted:

Anti and Ano are so cute together. both the carry and trying to give him a candy bar at the end.

I got the impression that she wanted to feed Gauma (since Gauma was the one complaining about hunger) and Knight wouldn't let her do it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I got the impression that she wanted to feed Gauma (since Gauma was the one complaining about hunger) and Knight wouldn't let her do it.

I wonder what's going on with Gauma. Something seriously weird was going down with the Eugenicists, and his breakout felt too easy, even before that last shot.

Add in Shizumu's sinister dialogue, and I suspect something very bad is getting revealed next week.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shimizu is also missing during the dead Eugenicist lineup, and whenever he does show up in the flashback he's way in the back separated from the rest and indistinct.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Shimizu is also missing during the dead Eugenicist lineup, and whenever he does show up in the flashback he's way in the back separated from the rest and indistinct.

I'm wondering (and given my thoughts about Chise, I am not to be trusted regarding predictions here) if Shimizu is impersonating Gauma now. This Kaiju was supposed to set up the endgame, and if it was just defeated, that doesn't feel like it's performing its duties.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I’m sort of curious how Kano actually died and what’s going to happen in regards to the series endgame now.

I wonder if this show is even going to bother explaining where exactly this all is taking place (the real world, Akane’s world, another similar digital world, etc) or if it’ll just never come up this time around.

Either way we’ve only got two episodes left now so hopefully we’ll get a decent ending out of all of this.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I feel this episode resolved the Kano thread pretty well. There is nothing sinister at all: it was an accident, plain and simple. The how doesn't matter, because there was no why. It was tragic and sad BECAUSE there is no one to blame, not the bullies at school or the boyfriend. All that's left is the regret of missed opportunity.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I sort of get the feeling that Kano may have put herself in more dangerous situations than she might not have if she'd been having a better time of it, but that she had no active plans to kill herself.
And that it doesn't really matter either way now because she's been dead and Yume can't change that, but she still has her memories and some closure on whether her sister cared for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZm_bEkZ8FI
10.01 Voice Drama is out.
It's a scene of the Eugenicists in the past. Juuga REALLY liked Gauma. Sizumu was always suspicious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Carteret posted:

I feel this episode resolved the Kano thread pretty well. There is nothing sinister at all: it was an accident, plain and simple. The how doesn't matter, because there was no why. It was tragic and sad BECAUSE there is no one to blame, not the bullies at school or the boyfriend. All that's left is the regret of missed opportunity.

Fair enough honestly. And off the subject, unless there’s some last minute shakeup I’m assuming at this point that Sizumu is the final boss of the series.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
I kinda wish this show was longer so all the plot threads & characters had more room to breathe but it's still pretty good & this episode was especially cool

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, if there’s one complaint I have about the show it’s that in my opinion it didn’t really manage its limited runtime quite as efficiently as Gridman did. It’s still been fun though and I hope they manage to get a satisfying conclusion out of all this.

I actually hope they keep making these shows every so often (essentially turning Gridman into its own little sub-franchise) as for the most part they’ve been really well done.

If they do then next time I vote for either Anti and Second getting their own show or an attempt at reviving the Gridman Sigma idea (they already basically did Gridman F last season after all)

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
In addition to the weirdness of past/dream Gauma intercepting Dynadiver with force while all the others gently dropped gently into the team's hands, we had normal Gauma watching that scene too. We didn't get a good look at his face after the fight, but I wouldn't be surprised if his scar is slightly different from before. The fresh wound looked like it was positioned a little off, but the show's also not been super consistent about how the scar looks anyways.

Speaking of scars, how about the one on Koyomi's ankle that's also a "VI" like Gauma's? He's always had that one pants legged rolled up, but I don't think that's ever shown up before.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SSSS.Dynazenon's Blu-Ray release is getting a live-action "Gridknight Fight" special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-7aH5_iGEs

I actually wouldn’t mind them trying another live action Gridman series (maybe switching to CGI for the action scenes) to be honest but I’m not sure whether Tsuburaya would go for it or not.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 5, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Would it have KILLED them to use the miniature sets?

The Ultra shows don't run year long, surely there was a few weeks unbooked weeks where they could get in there and mess around

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

OnimaruXLR posted:

Would it have KILLED them to use the miniature sets?

The Ultra shows don't run year long, surely there was a few weeks unbooked weeks where they could get in there and mess around

The "Fight" series is specifically supposed to look incredibly cheap. The original Ultra Fight in the 1970s was a 5 minute filler show with pro-wrestling announcers, super cheapo reproductions of kaiju suits ( I mean, really cheap) and wacky things like Eleking having a machine gun. The entire purpose of the series was to cost as little money as possible to fill time in between shows. So if the entire Fight series looked any better, it honestly wouldn't be a Fight series anymore. It's got to be in an area with scrub, cliffs, dirt and rocks. Honestly, the Gridknight Fight looks almost TOO good because the suits are really great.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I am glad to know that "Eleking with a gun" in Sevenger Fight is a legacy character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, has Funimation said anything about a potential dub for Dynazenon?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not listed as a SimulDub on their site and I don't know the extent to which they're doing non-simuldubs these days. I liked the Gridman dub a good deal but I dunno if it did well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

It's not listed as a SimulDub on their site and I don't know the extent to which they're doing non-simuldubs these days. I liked the Gridman dub a good deal but I dunno if it did well.

Well obviously it’s not going to be a SimulDub since the series is almost over but I was just curious if they were planning on doing one after the fact (plus the one they did for Gridman was really good in my opinion).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I wonder if this show is even going to bother explaining where exactly this all is taking place (the real world, Akane’s world, another similar digital world, etc) or if it’ll just never come up this time around.

This was already answered when Knight first appeared. He straight up said it: it's a different digital world from Akane's. Why it is nearly identical, I don't know, it may just be that all digital worlds look alike, but it's as clear as it can be that it's not the real world or Akane's world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

This was already answered when Knight first appeared. He straight up said it: it's a different digital world from Akane's. Why it is nearly identical, I don't know, it may just be that all digital worlds look alike, but it's as clear as it can be that it's not the real world or Akane's world.

In that case I wonder who made this one then (or maybe multiple digital cities just sprouted up out of nowhere as a result of Gridman’s actions at the end of the last season).

This world does look a bit more realistic than Akane’s did though (such as having an actual sky and no repair kaiju hiding in the mist). Though in that case why does no one really seem to care much about all the destruction that’s been going on during the show?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 5, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I gotta say, those are some drat good looking suits in that GridKnight special (now I kind of want another live action Gridman series just so they have an excuse to use some of them again)

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like the fight music for this episode, and it's a remix of the one used for the kaiju minecraft explanation in SSSS Gridman. I can't remember/rewatch everything right now, was it used previously?

(EDIT: several eps had part of it but without the kaiju minecraft bits)

I wonder what the endgame is, Gridman's was much more explicitly defined at that point. I guess the way things are set up it has to do with accepting Gauma's impending death.

Chev fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 6, 2021

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Yuyu thread about this weeks episode

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1400927681957486598

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I love their writeups, but stuff like this makes me wonder if I'm Watching Anime The Right Way or if I'm just dumb. There's so much stuff that I don't notice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

I love their writeups, but stuff like this makes me wonder if I'm Watching Anime The Right Way or if I'm just dumb. There's so much stuff that I don't notice.
The vast, vast majority of viewers don't actively notice this stuff, they just notice it subconsciously. You have to be an attentive viewer who's aware of how animation is used to tell a story to catch even basic directorial tricks.

And if anything, you not noticing is the point.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Gonna be interested to see the implications of that lingering shot on gauma at the end there.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pre-orders are up for this set and man they look good.

https://www.goodsmileus.com/product...p-goldburn-3884

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's amazing how sharp the contrast is between the two big mecha shows of the season. Both are super robot, but approaching it in opposite ways. Back Arrow is getting bigger, louder and more bombastic, while Dynazenon became smaller and intimate as it starts to wrap up its plotlines. Though with two episodes left to go, I suspected things weren't quite as neatly concluded as they seemed. Can't have a show called Dynazenon without some Dynazenon in there. One more kaiju remains, and even Kaiser Gridknight was overpowered by it.

The human elements with Chise and Yume and Koyomi and everyone were all really well done, and it makes me wonder what the show's going to do for its finale. Last time we got BABY DAN DAN and the return of Tokusatsu Gridman. I'm excited to see what Trigger surprises us with this time.

Like I said, I really hope they keep making these shows from time to time (though the only options left at this point are GridKnight, Sigma, or possibly something entirely new).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

That sure is what that is, good job translator.