Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

cool av posted:

just finished replicant and I have some questions. i'm sure it's all been discussed but who reads threads?

(if any of this is stuff you find out in automata just say so)

- what is the black scrawl? does it have anything to do with anything else in the overall plot?
- are the prologue nier/yonah replicants or humans? I guess they're replicants since there are already shades around right?
- what is kaine's "mutant body"? is she a hermaphrodite? is that the "in universe" reason for her...excessive femininity?

and more meta relating to the original version of the game

- was the "memory tree" always a memory tree implying ending E may have been planned?
- were you so slow in the original version that the "fast travel" options in facade and the desert were actually useful :) ?

-the black scrawl is a side effect of the Replicant's shade relapsing. Yonah's shade was basically always half-relapsed so Yonah always had a near-terminal case of black scrawl
-prologue Nier and Yonah are humans. I think it talks about this in the supplemental material but the Shadow lord was a role that was needed so the other shades could be stabilized, and Nier for plot reasons was a viable candidate for that role as a shade. So Prologue Nier is the Shadow lord.
-Kaine is a hermaphrodite. I don't remember if that's the justification for the lingerie but I think so.

-the memory tree was always a memory tree, Ending E was originally released as a written follow up and then they added it as actual game play for the remake.
-not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

thanks, pretty satisfying answers. is Yonah's shade being half-relapsed and the relation to the disease alluded to in-game or is that an outside reading thing?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i kinda read her insane outfit as a combination of asserting her feminity and for the far more pragmatic purpose of being effectually a fail safe if Tyrann possess her cause then there’s at least decent odds that approximately half her shade self melts on possession. The bandages don’t make much sense in that context but then again looking at her limbs probably makes her emotional plus iirc we dont know if there’s clear signs of possession.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

i kinda read her insane outfit as a combination of asserting her feminity and for the far more pragmatic purpose of being effectually a fail safe if Tyrann possess her cause then there’s at least decent odds that approximately half her shade self melts on possession. The bandages don’t make much sense in that context but then again looking at her limbs probably makes her emotional plus iirc we dont know if there’s clear signs of possession.

the vibe I get is that if you could see the skin under the bandage, you’d be able to tell she’s possessed, so she wears the bandage to hide it and blend in. Maybe she reveals as much of the rest of her skin as possible to distract from it? It would be a less stupid explanation than for quiet in mgs5 anyway

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kainé could so easily have been a gross gay/trans panic twist in the hands of a lesser writer. I already knew her deal from the zeitgeist pre-release and I was half expecting some dramatic "This woman you've been jerking off to for 20 hours - has a penis! Be ashamed of your words and deeds" moment to come at any time. The fact that the game doesn't explicitly beat you over the head with it but instead leaves you to connect the dots based on the abuse she receives - and doesn't comment on it any further - was nice to see. Especially for a decade old game.

That said I was expecting a bit more exposition about Tyrann's deal. Like is he significant for some reason? Is he actually Kainé gestalt or was some rando shade able to possess her for some reason? If so why isn't everyone possessed by rando shades?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

stev posted:

Kainé could so easily have been a gross gay/trans panic twist in the hands of a lesser writer. I already knew her deal from the zeitgeist pre-release and I was half expecting some dramatic "This woman you've been jerking off to for 20 hours - has a penis! Be ashamed of your words and deeds" moment to come at any time. The fact that the game doesn't explicitly beat you over the head with it but instead leaves you to connect the dots based on the abuse she receives - and doesn't comment on it any further - was nice to see. Especially for a decade old game.

That said I was expecting a bit more exposition about Tyrann's deal. Like is he significant for some reason? Is he actually Kainé gestalt or was some rando shade able to possess her for some reason? If so why isn't everyone possessed by rando shades?

On the second bit here I don't know if Tyrann is the only one able to do it, but he specifically does it because he doesn't have a replicant. He was such an awful person in life the scientists deleted his data from the replicant making system, and he possesses Kaine because Tyrann just loves killing poo poo that much. As far as I remember Kaine's replicant data is corrupt so she's created as an intersex body. Her gestalt is likely somewhere floating around.

Actually now that I think about it rando shade posession is happening, it's what is going on in the Aerie during the second visit.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 5, 2021

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

cool av posted:

just finished replicant and I have some questions. i'm sure it's all been discussed but who reads threads?

(if any of this is stuff you find out in automata just say so)

- what is the black scrawl? does it have anything to do with anything else in the overall plot?
- are the prologue nier/yonah replicants or humans? I guess they're replicants since there are already shades around right?
- what is kaine's "mutant body"? is she a hermaphrodite? is that the "in universe" reason for her...excessive femininity?

and more meta relating to the original version of the game

- was the "memory tree" always a memory tree implying ending E may have been planned?
- were you so slow in the original version that the "fast travel" options in facade and the desert were actually useful :) ?

Just to add a bit more to other posters responses

Automata DOES actually explain a few more details around project gestalt that aren't talked about in the original game, specifically you can collect 'Gestalt Reports' from route B onwards in Automata which spell out the events of the original game from a different perspective. Beyond this though there's a few other nods and references to things that shouldn't be spoiled if you haven't played Automata.

The Black Scrawl is right on with what the other poster said, it happens to replicants whose gestalts have relapsed. This is however distinct from White Chlorination Syndrome, which was the disease afflicting humans leading up to the games prologue, it talks about how people are turned into pillars of salt, or otherwise become red eyed beasts known as 'legion'. This is itself a callback to some stuff from drakengard. Project Gestalt is started as a way of saving humanity from WCS, which was said to be caused by Maso particles that came to this universe after drakengard ending e. Shadowlords purpose as the original gestalt was purifying this maso energy in order to keep the other gestalts stable until WCS could be wiped out and the final stage of the project, reunification, could begin.

The Prologue Yonah and Nier are definitely human like the other poster said, it's presumed that they are attacked by failed gestalts and that yonah begins to relapse just like them, as a result of touching the grimoire noir.

The memory tree section was always planned for the original game but didn't make the final cut. There is a rough translation of Ending E floating around from Grimoire Nier, and is mostly the same with parts added that are references to drakengard and automata respectively. Another thing that didn't make the cut was the intent for Kaine to be playable on the B/C route of the original game, so that was another bonus in the new ending E.

Yeah travel was a lot slower, and so were the load times, The desert fast travel points were pretty quick loading in comparison to walking it, and the boat cuts out load screen transitions by 1 for facade and seafront respectively. There is a speed-running trick in the original that allows you to roll a little faster but it's a lot of execution and not something you'd really do playing casually.

Grimoire Nier is also worth a look, you can find it online through google, it fills in a lot of the background that isn't touched on or explained anywhere else, in this game or automata. Sadly the online stuff is only partially translated, but the book itself is getting republished soon in japan, so we hold out hope that a localization is on the cards.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TIL womens' lingerie is insane

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I know no harm was meant but please do not use the term hermaphrodite to refer to people, even fictional ones. It’s a term for species which have both genitalia, using it implies the subject isn’t the same species, a very literal example of dehumanization.

The preferred term is intersex.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Edmund Lava posted:

I know no harm was meant but please do not use the term hermaphrodite to refer to people, even fictional ones. It’s a term for species which have both genitalia, using it implies the subject isn’t the same species, a very literal example of dehumanization.

The preferred term is intersex.

Yeah I was gonna say this. It's a biological term that refers to species for which that is a part of their reproduction strategy. It doesn't apply to humans (or replicants).

E: I mean historically it has been used for humans, but it was still a co-opted term and is pretty understandably offensive when still used today.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Unless you're talking about a Rebis, a mystical hermaphrodite, the ultimate alchemical perfect being.

Which doesn't exist in real life.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

You guys weren't kidding that the speedrun trophy was really easy to get. I'm usually pretty terrible at them, but I got this one in about six and a half hours (could've been a bit less if I had realized that the timer doesn't pause in the pause menu sooner). It's so funny seeing that 6.5 hour completed save next to my 80 hour one with all my weapon grinding and all the endings.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

At least you didn't accidentally save over your 100% clear file like I did :shepface:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Sharkitten posted:

At least you didn't accidentally save over your 100% clear file like I did :shepface:

Oh I absolutely did! Luckily I realized it like half a second later and was able to get my 100% clear back from the PS+ cloud. I was only about an hour into my speed run, thank God.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ok I just got to part 2 and got the gang back together, why are every single part 2 side quest "get 30 of these things in the junk heap"

Is there any easier way to do these dumb quests

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ok I just got to part 2 and got the gang back together, why are every single part 2 side quest "get 30 of these things in the junk heap"

Is there any easier way to do these dumb quests

Only do the ones that get you weapons.

Trying to do all the part 2 sidequests will make you an even sadder rhino

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

Only do the ones that get you weapons.

Trying to do all the part 2 sidequests will make you an even sadder rhino

I'd say a few non-weapon ones (like The Strange Fate of the Jewel) are worth doing. Not all of them revolve around grinding up obnoxiously rare drops.

Just far too many of them.

And then there's the weapon upgrades.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You don't even need to do them all for the platinum lol, that's one of the things I would go back and do differently

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say a few non-weapon ones (like The Strange Fate of the Jewel) are worth doing. Not all of them revolve around grinding up obnoxiously rare drops.

Just far too many of them.

And then there's the weapon upgrades.

It kinda sucks that they put the weapon stories back in but didn’t make the drops feasibly farmable at some point like Automata (which kinda HAD to, but still) but at least everything gets mulched super hard with the one-two combo of Dark Hand > Fatality, mashing Square, or for most mini bosses, mashing L1.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

It kinda sucks that they put the weapon stories back in but didn’t make the drops feasibly farmable at some point like Automata (which kinda HAD to, but still) but at least everything gets mulched super hard with the one-two combo of Dark Hand > Fatality, mashing Square, or for most mini bosses, mashing L1.

The drops are very farmable with the weapon you get after ending E, it kills most anything in one hit because it’s stats are all 999.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

well i got ending A, after 30 hours lmao

I didn't get all the 30+ resource quests done because gently caress the junk heap, even though Gideon is very entertaining as a cackling robot-hating psychopath. i haven't heard any subpar voice acting, the red bag couple are some of the funniest stuff i've heard and there's of course that dude at the shipyard who's like "hey you are the idiot kid who will do anything including scrubbing toilets, ahahahahaha!"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I have a question about ending CDE of Automata. is the intelligence that builds the white tower and created Yorha supposed to be an emergant AI or a further evolution of the Malign intelligence behind all the events of the games? I wasn't sure if it was still around but the white flowers are here and there in hidden corners of Automata.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I have a question about ending CDE of Automata. is the intelligence that builds the white tower and created Yorha supposed to be an emergant AI or a further evolution of the Malign intelligence behind all the events of the games? I wasn't sure if it was still around but the white flowers are here and there in hidden corners of Automata.

Both can be true! The flower is certainly implied to have some sort of connection to the machine intelligence.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

well i got ending A, after 30 hours lmao

I didn't get all the 30+ resource quests done because gently caress the junk heap, even though Gideon is very entertaining as a cackling robot-hating psychopath. i haven't heard any subpar voice acting, the red bag couple are some of the funniest stuff i've heard and there's of course that dude at the shipyard who's like "hey you are the idiot kid who will do anything including scrubbing toilets, ahahahahaha!"

The red bag couple are pretty great, especially how the shipwreck sequence relies on you assuming the bag guy is fine and just got lost for like a week or there’s some other explanation that means he’ll be okay cause that’s what makes sense for the dumb gag NPC but nope! :(

I also love that it’s just a meta joke at some point that Nier obsessively does anything people tell him to even after it outright contradicts the narrative post-skip, even if some of the fetch quests themselves aren’t the most fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
S_E had a 5 second trailer for Nier Reincarnation during their stream, so I'd expect details are forthcoming.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shame its a gacha game :(

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Did I loving kill a child

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yes lol

Many

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drakengard!

I mean,

Nier!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Did I loving kill a child

Why did you think you were getting so many used coloring books?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Did I just loving kill a NURSERY

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Did I just loving kill a NURSERY

:yokotaro:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

buncha dancin bastards

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also I think the Lost Shrine might is supposed to be some kind of hospital or nursing home, in case you wanted to feel even worse about running through it a dozen times

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also I think the Lost Shrine might is supposed to be some kind of hospital or nursing home, in case you wanted to feel even worse about running through it a dozen times

I don't think it's that.
Tyrann calls it "a cursed place where incomplete shades gather" and Gretel yells at the small shades at first calling them "defective".
I figure it's that the shrine is where the entrance to Shadowlord's castle is and all the rejects who weren't let in are waiting at the gates.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it’s been asked but probably buried by now, but just to make sure from what I can tell/remember reading regarding Route C in Replicant, the only different parts before the end won’t let you mash Skip Scene, right?

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Last Celebration posted:

I think it’s been asked but probably buried by now, but just to make sure from what I can tell/remember reading regarding Route C in Replicant, the only different parts before the end won’t let you mash Skip Scene, right?

There are three new things in C route, they are mostly text based and can't be skipped the way cutscenes can. You can of course still blast through the text, the game won't stop you. Generally they're tough to miss unless you're really not paying attention.

Don't check the following spoilers unless you really want to be sure.

The three new things are as follows:

1. New scenes that are spread throughout the story with Devola and Popola
2. Changes to audio and the end of 'The Little Mermaid'
3. A New Visual Novel Segment after you defeat Popola and Devola for the second time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for the heads up, I knew about 2 from looking up OST videos on YouTube and remember something about 1, but it’s good to know I can blaze through everything else.

...sure would be nice if C Route was mostly just abridged aside from those, Automata Bad Ending Credits style though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I knew about 2 from looking up OST videos on YouTube and remember something about 1, but it’s good to know I can blaze through everything else.

...sure would be nice if C Route was mostly just abridged aside from those, Automata Bad Ending Credits style though.

The new stuff in shipwreck/mermaid section can be accidentally skipped because it’s cutscenes, so once you get to that part stop skipping until you’re completely done and out of town to do the next part of the story.

Everything else is ‘unskippable’ due to the way it’s presented but that can be missed since it’s actual cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Route C spoilers: wow, that new ending to the Shipwreck. It’s funny how the “good” version just leaves me kinda empty and I almost wanna cry now. That boss fight was some real Automata poo poo though, couldn’t help getting kinda hype.

lol that they put a time attack trophy behind a boss fight that changes significantly every route, like I guess I can always reload and mash through the cutscenes but still.