Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Butt pain: My bike is fairly well set up, the biggest issue at the amount is the seat. It's a replacement for the stock which I thought would fit my sit bones quite well, which I measured before buying. The previous saddle was too narrow and sloped downward to the sides. This made the inside of my sit bones hurt quite a lot and it caused numbness. The pain issue is still there with my replacement, although less so. No numbness. Should I replace again, or is there something else I can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
gently caress now I’m googling gracilis and IT band. My neck was a little sore after the last 30 mi group ride but not sure what caused that. Like I was looking up too much or something? I also notice that I have a bad habit of locking my arms straight instead of bending them more and letting my core do some of the work.

A final observation: there’s nothing like going 25+ downhill with a back tire 1 foot away from your front tire. I feel like I’m on the brink of something really terrible happening and it’s a rush.

Edit: gracilis is definitely what was sore. I might look into a roller later but for now the yoga stretches are working great.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 4, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally everyone who cares about going fast on a bicycle regardless of discipline should be doing a plank every day.

Prolly other stuff too but ya gotta plank.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

bicievino posted:

Literally everyone who cares about going fast on a bicycle regardless of discipline should be doing a plank every day.

ive been stand up paddle boarding this past year

seems to be working the core, and i get hella tanned :cool:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

ive been stand up paddle boarding this past year

seems to be working the core, and i get hella tanned :cool:

Sup?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

and a dry bag with my speaker playing Hall and Oates and some ice cold crispy tall boys in a cooler at the bow is my idea of cross training

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

and a dry bag with my speaker playing Hall and Oates and some ice cold crispy tall boys in a cooler at the bow is my idea of cross training

I believe this to be true for both "crosstraining" and "cyclocross training"

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Some of you probably saw me post in the maintenance thread about having a shimano shifter that needed to be warrantied and all the problems that entails during a global supply chain shortage and also while being 2,500 miles into a 5,000 mile trip on my own. A very generous goon offered me a compatible 105 shifter to help me out and I would have had to take them up on it had Rodeo Labs not gone out of their way to find a grx lever for me. They met me in Kansas on their way to a race and had it installed for me. Just very grateful today to have a fixed bike. Shoutout to their whole team for being genuinely good people

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How did they find out about your plight?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

How did they find out about your plight?

They have a phone number on their website and a human picked it up on the first ring

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

numberoneposter posted:

How you know what’s in my ebike panniers?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Stretching chat: I just don't bother because my whole body is made of everlasting rubber apparently. This is not a recommendation.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Going back to my fit issues I had mentioned, perhaps I should go back to where my seat was before (lower than now), which is where my incredibly knowledgeable bike friend had said it. Yes I had some pain in my knees, but it's also a new saddle, and in generally I'm completely out of shape as medical issues had kept my inactive since very early this year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wear those knee compression support things on my bikes sometimes, because I’m 41 and my knees will sometimes go when I’ve been doing some hard walking upstairs or sleeping funny.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Going back to my fit issues I had mentioned, perhaps I should go back to where my seat was before (lower than now), which is where my incredibly knowledgeable bike friend had said it. Yes I had some pain in my knees, but it's also a new saddle, and in generally I'm completely out of shape as medical issues had kept my inactive since very early this year.

Like I said last time, ride for at least 30 min to get a feel, take notes against the settings, then adjust 5mm on one setting and repeat.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Like I said last time, ride for at least 30 min to get a feel, take notes against the settings, then adjust 5mm on one setting and repeat.

ok will do, thank you

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
testing... testing...

lmao

Mt Washington, I'mma gently caress your poo poo up in six weeks

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I'm actually going to die on that mountain but it'll be higher up than I would've gotten otherwise.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I was cranking my bike with one hand while adjusting the barrel with the other to fix a rear shifting problem and I somehow got my index finger between the chain and sprocket and the sprocket tooth punched a hole in my finger nail. Feels great!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I was cranking my bike with one hand while adjusting the barrel with the other to fix a rear shifting problem and I somehow got my index finger between the chain and sprocket and the sprocket tooth punched a hole in my finger nail. Feels great!

Did that once while wiping down a chain on a fixed gear. Lost most of my thumbnail but ended up fine in the end.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

bicievino posted:

I believe this to be true for both "crosstraining" and "cyclocross training"

The heaviest part of my cyclocross training supplies is my beer. I don't have a water bladder in my Camelbak but I do have plenty of liquids.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

BeastPussy posted:

I'm actually going to die on that mountain but it'll be higher up than I would've gotten otherwise.
Godspeed. I'm super jealous of you.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Got shoes and Shimano SPDs today.

Installed and took everything for a test run tonight and wow do I now have million new adjustments to make, but I'm happy with how they feel and how I felt reasonably comfortable clipping in and out on the fly about halfway through a 17mi warmup ride tonight.

I think this has finally pushed me into booking a bike fit though, as I felt like I was getting things dialed in until introducing several new components that now all have adjustments of their own.

Is paying extra for Retül or whatever worth it for someone that just bikes long distances for fun versus doing anything competitively?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you have multiple local options, pick someone with testimonials from different specialities or by people with fit needs that match yours.
The Retul machine is cool, but outside of changing stem stuff, you don't lose that much time in a session using the actual bike you're gonna ride.

You want someone with a good eye for when your pedaling is effective and safe on your body. The video analysis tools Retul gives fitters don't work without that experience.
Like tobin said, different people will arrive at different solutions, but you should trust that a good fitter will get you to a fit that has you pedaling happy on the bike.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

:hmmyes:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I hit my helmet on the stem while sprinting today.
Won the sprint so worth feeling a bit silly.

This sort of joy is what the core strength from planking can bring you.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hekk posted:

My favorite part of this thread is the juxtaposition of posters dropping 5-10k on bicycles and components compared to others trying to score 30 dollar cycling shoes.

All bikes are good bikes :)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A badly tuned bike is a bad bike. Doesn't matter if it's worth $90 or $9000.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bicievino posted:

I hit my helmet on the stem while sprinting today.
Won the sprint so worth feeling a bit silly.

This sort of joy is what the core strength from planking can bring you.

Are you Caleb Ewan?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Closest thing I did was when I was trying to solve brake rub on my front disc. I was spinning the wheel with one hand, holding the fork up with the other trying to find the spot and absentmindedly relaxed my index finger which went into the disc rotor. Cut about halfway across the nail :gonk:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Bikes are... good?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
that's a great photo! bikes are good indeed

last week my cassette really started catching when freewheeling forward so I took it to my lbs yesterday, who replaced the bearings in my team vision 35 wheels. this afternoon I received a text that I could come pick it up, but when it got there it turned out he broke the cassette body and needs to order a new one. for now, which probably is one or two weeks, I have a mavic ksyrium sl loaner. anyway, poo poo happens, no harm no foul, but there you have it, my bike story for today I say no harm no foul but the sound's a little underwhelming compared to the one my freehub makes :colbert:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was going to ride after work last night but it was so hot I decided to spin on my trainer for a bit waiting for takeout sushi to be ready because it was too hot to cook or eat anything warm. I felt kinda dumb spinning inside when it was sunny and warm.

Woke up early this morning and did a 50k before work in perfect conditions and now I feel like a million bucks.

Bikes are indeed cool and good.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Does that bowling alley shoe spray disinfectant actually work? I feel like that’d make the $30 ebay shoe options more appealing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah good, a chance to post this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2InrOGbIE4

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I tried 27 3/4" from crank center to top of saddle, did about 25 minutes and my knees were in constant pain. Adjusted to 28" and the knee pain was a lot less prevalent. I get crotch numbness quickly no matter what height I have the seat on - I've tried up to 29". I'm guessing the other person who mentioned that this issue was probably not tied to the saddle but instead something about my shoes was right.

Given the knee pain went away, would you leave the saddle at this height and try adjusting something with the shoes now to see if it helps with the crotch stuff? The cleats are as far back as possible, but maybe change the angle they are pointing?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Have you messed with the saddle angle? Tilting the nose down a bit might help with the crotch numbness.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

spf3million posted:

Have you messed with the saddle angle? Tilting the nose down a bit might help with the crotch numbness.

nope not yet, I just put in a new saddle and kept it flat like the previous one, but I can definitely give it a try! I assume the idea is to reduce pressure from the nose of the saddle

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Could you try flat pedals and comfy shoes? If you eliminate one possibility then it will help narrow it down :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

switching to SPD cleats made my feet and knees hurt for weeks until I found the sweet spot.

My wife uses old school toe clips plus some kind of extremely rigid flat shoes and that works pretty decently for her.