Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
but spay and neuter your pets, folks. get them vaccinated, registered, all that good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

touching computer without a catte to pette? a sad fate

this style of posting is exhibit no. 1 for why the cat thread should be gassed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm sorry everyone, i just thought it was funny to see a cat wandering around with an apple tag on it. i never meant for this to happen

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

this style of posting is exhibit no. 1 for why the cat thread should be gassed

piss off, jenny

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we need a dog thread

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I love my little doggo pupperino woofer

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
going to put an apple tag on my cat and let it outside

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have a giant dog

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

mediaphage posted:

letting your dumb rear end cat run around killing poo poo isn’t plastic straws. they’re a nuisance and contribute to feral cat populations, too, and spread diseases. if you can’t bear to keep your cat in the house, you shouldn’t have a cat, frankly. people freak out when even small dogs run around by themselves but when it comes to cats it’s just ~~~their nature they want to be outside~~~

anyway when it comes to birds i find plate glass to also be a huge problem and even harder to deal with but people are trying

theres always some chihuahuas runnin around my neighborhood, being cool, or mean, and then eventually gettin run over. rip

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Smythe posted:

theres always some chihuahuas runnin around my neighborhood, being cool, or mean, and then eventually gettin run over. rip

that’s wild. nervous little dogs weird me out and i think it’s because they’re like always just shaking

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Smythe posted:

they should chiwatch out where they're going!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also i didnt know you lived on south federal smythe

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Jonny 290 posted:

they should chiwatch out where they're going!

gah

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I love my little doggo pupperino woofer

I call mine my little pupito :3:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Jonny 290 posted:

also i didnt know you lived on south federal smythe

lol. well folks the fact is there is a correlation between concentration of our friends, the proud people of the great state of mexico, and "loose chihuahuas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRGMAW1wzQ8

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah a little old man across my street walks his extremely fat chihuahua every evening and if i'm walking by i say hola

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah a little old man across my street walks his extremely fat chihuahua every evening and if i'm walking by i say hola

like a good neighbot, j290 is there

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

its been a year assholes

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
apparently apple wants workers to return to office and a bunc hof workers that I guess fled bay area and bought a house in middle of nowhere are very angry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
whoever could have foreseen this?

no one, probably

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pls don't let computer touches roam outside the Bay Area

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you can't just let the spaceship sit empty, lot of bay area glaziers rely on the business

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Trabisnikof posted:

idk, but the supplemental info has the breakdown by species: https://static-content.springer.com/esm/art%3A10.1038%2Fncomms2380/MediaObjects/41467_2013_BFncomms2380_MOESM95_ESM.pdf
Sparrows (a classic non-native species) accounts for 10% of the mortality.

interesting the number of birds that only showed up in 1 out of the 10 studies that included species-level data. Robins and Goldfinches showed up in the most studies, 5 of the 10.

heh catbird

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

what is the HVAC situation like at the mothership do they recirculate the air, do you get to breathe Phil Schiller's farts or what

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Celexi posted:

apparently apple wants workers to return to office and a bunc hof workers that I guess fled bay area and bought a house in middle of nowhere are very angry

Ol’ Jony Fireball says get back to work:

A loyal attack dog posted:

1,400 words to say they’d prefer a policy that allows teams within Apple to determine their own remote work policies. Good communication is to the point, and this is not to the point at all. No wonder the letter-writer(s) feel “unheard”. It’s hard to get through the whole letter, and if you do make it through, it reeks of self indulgence. Some serious ✊🍆 vibes. The “formal requests” at the end about employees with disabilities and the “environmental impact of returning to onsite [sic] in-person work” are such transparent pandering. (I have never once heard of Apple not doing whatever it takes not only to accommodate employees with any disability, but to make them feel welcome.)

And who are these people who took jobs at Apple not knowing the company’s on-site culture? Do they think Apple built a new $4 billion campus on a lark? Three days a week on site and two days remote is a huge change for Apple.

Given that these letters keep leaking to Zoe Schiffer at The Verge, I can’t help but think that the problem for Apple is that they’ve grown so large that they’ve wound up hiring a lot of people who aren’t a good fit for Apple, and that it was a mistake for Apple to ever hook up a company-wide Slack. Companies are not democracies, but the employees writing these letters sure seem to think Apple is one. It’s not, and if it were, the company would sink in a snap. Apple’s new “three days on site” policy wasn’t a request for comments — it was a decision — and Tim Cook’s company-wide letter already leaves room for individual teams to adjust it to their own needs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

lmao he's always been an apple apologist ofc but what a douche fuckin take. god forbid workers want a better work-life balance

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mediaphage posted:

lmao he's always been an apple apologist ofc but what a douche fuckin take. god forbid workers want a better work-life balance

seriously. having to live somewhere specific for work is one of the biggest killers of work life balance. that’s what I cited when the company president personally asked me why I was moving back to Vancouver after three years in Victoria (city of newlyweds and nearly deads) and it took a short conversation for him to sorta get it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pulcinella posted:

quote:

Companies are not democracies, but the employees writing these letters sure seem to think Apple is one.

i think I hear something in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKhwitXvVj8

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yes I realize the irony of applying the lyrics to the song to the top earning tech workers but still

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm not sure i could give less of a poo poo about faang employees' remote work options

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Pulcinella posted:

Apple contacts me every so often, but I don't understand why I'd move halfway across the country to make the same or less money I can make anywhere else (assumption from Glassdoor), AND have to pay for housing near Cupertino.

Why would anyone? Are there really that many of these dudes?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm not suggesting the employees are wrong to want it, but anyone who saw remote work as the new normal and not the response to an unprecedented situation was born yesterday

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hmm. a global plague has closed the office, i'm going to buy a house several hundred kilometers from where i worked, because this situation will never change.

- a smart savvy homeowner

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Pike posted:

Apple contacts me every so often, but I don't understand why I'd move halfway across the country to make the same or less money I can make anywhere else (assumption from Glassdoor), AND have to pay for housing near Cupertino.

Why would anyone? Are there really that many of these dudes?

what kind of job makes the same or more money outside the Bay Area?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

hmm. a global plague has closed the office, i'm going to buy a house several hundred kilometers from where i worked, because this situation will never change.

- a smart savvy homeowner
I see you've also been reading Toronto Life headlines for the past year!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

I see you've also been reading Toronto Life headlines for the past year!

it's been hilarious.

i'm sure the market in listowel or wherever the gently caress will hold up just fine when all those people suddenly discover they have to go back to work in toronto and all those small town rural ontario homes go on the market in the span of a few months

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think it’s fine to do just that actually with the huge caveat of making sure the company is okay with it first

like shopify has gone almost all remote as i understand it

apple isn’t shopify though for several reasons

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

has tim considered just firing all the signatories of the open letter? duh.

https://twitter.com/DavidSacks/status/1401344297429999618

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Really curious to know what's gonna happen to Stockton and Modesto housing prices now that a lot of bay area companies are requiring people to go back to the office.

They were the fastest growing cities in the country during the pandemic.