Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I liked Horologium. Best final dungeon I've seen in an SMT game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

What's the gimmick of Eridanus? I gave up during the trash sector dungeon and I want to know the pain I missed out on.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Teleport gauntlet

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Poison and sleep traps + one way doors + teleporter maze

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah I think that's true, Nocturne at leasts keeps them interesting. IV and IVa had a lot of real nothing dungeons, DDS hit a good midpoint between frustrating and unique.

P3 and 4 had terrible dungeons

I was gonna debate IV because I love that game but honestly yeah thinking back on it there's not much that stands out by memory. Basically there's Naraku and Reverse Hills as the two I actually immediately remember without looking anything up.

Still love that game to pieces but dungeons weren't its strong point.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Junpei posted:

Hell yeah that’s the good stuff

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Junpei posted:

i love phantasy star 2

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

NikkolasKing posted:

Nocturne has two or three good dungeons(the Prison, Obelisk and Amala Temple) and a lot of lovely ones.

The hospital had awesome music, at least. Love that song.

nocturne has the best dungeons

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got through the Construction Site and was not too fond of that.

Also I'm fighting the Girimehkala as we speak and it has not been going well for my physical focused team.

:negative:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
gently caress, I totally forgot about all the stat gates in the 3rd Kalpa, and now two of them require the two stats I've been dumping all game :argh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think Nocturne's kinda samey aesthetic is made up for by it being an awesome aesthetic. The PS2-era Megaten aesthetic of neons and huge, imposing structures was the main reason I played Imagine. Which was not a good MMO, but until Nocturne's remaster was basically the only version of that aesthetic that escaped the PS2's muddiness.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

IMAGINE was pretty dire and it was incredibly sad because that game had a cool as hell world and atmosphere and it was actually pretty interesting to go about making big fusion chains to custom build a demon with a particular moveset.

Unfortunately the actual gameplay part sucked rear end and it was a horrendous grind fest with bad monetization.

Had some pretty rad music though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djIwtfrXe30

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's called Imagine because when you play it you turn 360 degrees and imagine a better SMT MMO.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I will give it credit for having an interesting base mechanical pitch. Essentially making everyone 'the pet class' from other MMOs was a smart way of implementing the usual SMT dynamic, and they also didn't fall into the 'it turns out the pet AI is dumb as rocks' problem that a lot of those MMOs hit.

They didn't build that into something good, and it had the old-school MMO problem of having too much grinding and nowhere near enough actual story or interesting ways to grind, but I've seen worse baseline mechanical pitches for a game. It could've worked, it just didn't.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

loopsheloop posted:

I'm playing SMT4 and the game is really great but the Tokyo theme is some next level poo poo, I'm obsessed with it

I doubt anyone forgot what it sounds like

The only thing I don't like is all the covers/remixes I'm finding on YouTube slow it down which seems.... Bad

The theme + reveal is one of my favorite world map moments ever. Shame the actual map is impossible to navigate

4 had a really good soundtrack imo. I’m playing Nocturne now and there are some great tracks but not too much I’d actually memorable

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

YoshiOfYellow posted:

IMAGINE was pretty dire and it was incredibly sad because that game had a cool as hell world and atmosphere and it was actually pretty interesting to go about making big fusion chains to custom build a demon with a particular moveset.

Unfortunately the actual gameplay part sucked rear end and it was a horrendous grind fest with bad monetization.

There's private servers now, so it's much better on the grind front (and obviously there's no monetization) depending on which server you pick. Being able to just earn things helps a great deal, let me tell you.

There is a lot of absolutely ludicrous inter-server drama that is hard to avoid, however.

I actually am able to talk a lot about it because I am one of the main developers of the game's private server software, while doing significant work translating it into English.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 5, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh yeah, I'd heard about private servers being in development awhile ago. Didn't realize they'd gotten to a playable point. Might be fun to gently caress around with sometime. It even has my favorite demon Turdak in it!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh yeah, I'd heard about private servers being in development awhile ago. Didn't realize they'd gotten to a playable point. Might be fun to gently caress around with sometime. It even has my favorite demon Turdak in it!

It's been at a very playable point for a few years now, and I even periodically add features to the server nowadays that the original server never had.

The problem is the experience is significantly different depending on what server you pick, often because of stubbornness and drama.

Also yes, Turdak is pretty boss I agree.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 5, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tallgeese posted:

There's private servers now, so it's much better on the grind front (and obviously there's no monetization) depending on which server you pick. Being able to just earn things helps a great deal, let me tell you.

There is a lot of absolutely ludicrous inter-server drama that is hard to avoid, however.

I actually am able to talk a lot about it because I am one of the main developers of the game's private server software, while doing significant work translating it into English.

why did you tell me this exists you're going to destroy my life

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Blockhouse posted:

why did you tell me this exists you're going to destroy my life

Because it was brought up!

I am willing to answer pretty much any question about it to the best of my ability due to the aforementioned aspect of "is server dev."

It's a fun hobby and I've been at it for awhile.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah I checked out uh..ReImagine I think it was sometime last year and it seemed alright but it's kind of a ballbuster at the start and then I played Phantasy Star Universe instead because my brain is sanded down to a completely smooth orb.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Because it was brought up!

I am willing to answer pretty much any question about it to the best of my ability due to the aforementioned aspect of "is server dev."

It's a fun hobby and I've been at it for awhile.

Is the story content available to a solo player or do I need to make my friends share my own bad life choices?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Eridanus also had great theme music

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I just got past Matador. He was rad as hell but kind of easier than I was led to believe? He beat me once and then I just summoned that fuzzy elephant demon and bought the right magatama and he really got declawed. I actually have been feeling like the game has been a little easier than I was expecting so far, especially compared to SMTIV, which had a ridiculously difficult first dungeon.

Physical strength demifiend has just been tearing through the game so far.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Coming from SMT4, early game nocturne should feel like a cakewalk. There's nothing in nocturne that's quite as bullshit as Walter casting agi on minotaur for the umpteenth time, that loving moron.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

NikkolasKing posted:

Nocturne has two or three good dungeons(the Prison, Obelisk and Amala Temple) and a lot of lovely ones.

The hospital had awesome music, at least. Love that song.

Obelisk. Good dungeon.

Please select one.

Any dungeon where I can regularly get into a fight, walk one step, get into another fight, walk another step and get into another god drat fight is not a good dungeon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah I checked out uh..ReImagine I think it was sometime last year and it seemed alright but it's kind of a ballbuster at the start and then I played Phantasy Star Universe instead because my brain is sanded down to a completely smooth orb.

Well, they did a wipe. ReImagine are somewhat considered the more grindy server because they implemented a fortune card (read: gacha) system for equipment, among other reasons.

GimmickMan posted:

Is the story content available to a solo player or do I need to make my friends share my own bad life choices?

The story content isn't fully translated, so if that's what you're in it for I wouldn't try it yet.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 5, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Obelisk. Good dungeon.

Please select one.

Any dungeon where I can regularly get into a fight, walk one step, get into another fight, walk another step and get into another god drat fight is not a good dungeon.

Nocturne's obscene encounter rate can happen anywhere. I had that experience in every single dungeon.

I guess I don't have the..."programming math" of the game or whatever you'd need to conclusively prove which dungeon has the worse encounter rate but I don't feel like the encounter rate in that dungeon was any worse than the others. It's mostly a straight ascent with a simple collection of puzzles (which makes you immune to encounters while you solve them) so that alone sets it above the final dungeon or the prison where you'll get hit by that same encounter rate while trying to figure out what the hell to do.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 5, 2021

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Every time I get into an encounter in SMTIV and the enemy immediately vaporizes me with Blight, I get a little closer to going on a Mitama farming spree. If the game wants to play dirty, then I can play dirty.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

None of the megaten games are as hard as their reputation says they are. :ssh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I hear Demifiend in DDS1 is 100% garbage, unfair bullshit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaius Marius posted:

I wouldn't quite agree with that, but I would say that Megaten has a type of difficulty that's easy to understand and overcome with the right attitude. Nothing is ever obfuscated, and no problem is ever especially hard to overcome if you know what you're looking at. If you die, you die in a way that gives you all the information you need to avoid that, provided you can read it.

...well, provided you can read it and listen to it. That's another thing; while nothing in Megaten is raw 'you just have to play better' (the Dark Souls style of 'git gud'), a lot of people still approach it like it is, if only because they've played other games that do that. That doesn't work; Megaten expects you to actually change up your strategy after a loss, you won't get by by just 'playing better'.

Megaten isn't hard because it's complicated or demanding of dexterity or skill. Megaten is hard because it's harsh, and expects you to think about why you lose. If you already do that, you're fine, but a lot of people don't.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sometimes I remember the reviews saying SMTIV had a bad soundtrack and get pissed off.

It has a loving amazing soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZIXqXKiZ7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubj7lzLOWSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhpFGmmUMU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And also occasionally your mc gets an unlucky one shot before you even take a turn

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Ah, excellent, another timely opportunity to plug how Imagine had some killer remixes of older SMT themes as well.

You've got your classic Fiend theme redone as something more uptempo with guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuu0p-MJ3Io

A redo of the Cathedral from SMT1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fggv7xRKTXI

A theme that lulls you into thinking it's going to suck because the first 40 seconds are the terrible SMT2 major boss theme but surprise it was a distraction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt06D4yLAdk

And my personal favorite, when they followed DDS' path and made the Demi-fiend an in-game superboss and decided to give the Nocturne normal battle music a facelift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0fs8QAMBD0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember the story intro bgm being cool for the little I played of Imagine.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blue Labrador posted:

What's the gimmick of Eridanus? I gave up during the trash sector dungeon and I want to know the pain I missed out on.

Have you played an Etrian Odyssey game? It's basically a late-game strata from one of them and it owns. Literally the best Sector in original SJ. :colbert:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sometimes I remember the reviews saying SMTIV had a bad soundtrack and get pissed off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZIXqXKiZ7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubj7lzLOWSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhpFGmmUMU

[purposeuflly misreading as SMTIII nocturne] agreed

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

And also occasionally your mc gets an unlucky one shot before you even take a turn

Managed to get myself blown up by a Mudo attack before I could do anything, on the way to a save point after a boss, not too long ago.

ETA: Also sometimes I miss Imagine (I played from the closed US beta up to right before it went from Aeria to Atlus USA). But then I remember just how tedious it eventually got at high levels.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Was that the infamous review that called it the Dark Souls of the Persona series?

This is the SMTIV song that has always stayed with me. Started me on my path to being a Chaos fan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WltZYONI44M

But to be blunt, I remember most of IV's songs from how they were used better in IVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edc3KAHyvJE