Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Since a few people were asking about them, I figured I'd weigh in with my experience buying a budget split board.

I bought a YMDK SP84 from AliExpress. There are options to buy the kit or to have it preassembled. I had it made for me, and I like it a lot, honestly. The keyboard doesn't come with keycaps, but there are a few sets linked in the description that are definitely compatible, and there are plenty of other cheap ANSI-only ones on AliExpress that should be compatible too.

Despite being in the UK I got mine in ANSI because I didn't really realise I could have just asked the seller for it to be ISO. :shobon:

The good:
- Cheap (for a split mech), compact split mechanical board that definitely does the job.

- Has a "numpad" which is really just 10 macro keys on the left instead of the right, but that still lets me use it for easier number entry (albeit in a slightly weird layout) without taking up a huge amount of space where my mouse would go like a normal numpad does.

- The two halves slot together nicely to form a pretty standard keyboard in case anyone normal wants to use it. I set up a Fn key to switch to a specific layer that's just standard so people can actually type on it when that happens.

- I really like the 3-part spacebar. I hit the tiny 1-wide button on the left half for my actual space key since I apparently hit space with my left thumb as opposed to everyone else in the world. The longer left-hand space button is Fn, and the right-hand longer spacebar button is used for Backspace so I can limit my hand movements a little more.

The bad:
- The body is a bit cheap, it's made up of something like 5 stacked cutout layers of super-shiny, fingerprint-attracting laser-cut acrylic rather than being a nicely machined shell, but it's not something I notice a lot when I'm using it, it doesn't rattle or anything. If that's a big issue for you, there's this fella, who's 3D printed a 2-part clamshell case for each half but that's probably mildly overkill.

- The configuration tool is called Bootmapper, and that seems uh... "unsupported" since I had to download it in a .zip file from a random Dropbox and find a PDF "how to" guide to use it, but once you know how it works it's not bad really, and the configuration is stored on the board itself so there's no issues with keeping settings synced.

- The tenting options are not great - it has holes drilled into the acrylic at the back so it can raise the back with the aluminium feet provided, but you can't tent it the other way and have the front raised up. It's also probably around an inch thick, so I'm using a wrist rest I found on amazon as a palm support. You also can't tent it sideways at all. Buying a bunch of little external adhesive feet and playing around with comfortable positions may not be the worst idea.

- The under-light LEDs are basically pointless, and (for some reason?) unless you ask the seller for three LEDs for Caps/Num/Scrl Lock you only get one for Caps. Not a huge dealbreaker but was a little confusing.

I used to use a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 to solve my wrist pain while typing, and I can't go back to that now because the keys feel terrible in comparison. Full disclosure: I am also feeling a bit of pain in my right hand recently again, but I'm almost 100% sure that's caused by near-continuous use of my mouse playing WoW and nothing to do with the keyboard.

I'm actually considering buying a second one of these in ISO layout because I prefer it.. until I started looking at more interesting keycaps, and realised that most of the budget keycap sets just don't bother supporting ISO. :(

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
No one ever puts the numrow 6 on the right hand on a split keyboard
:negative:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

No one ever puts the numrow 6 on the right hand on a split keyboard

The ergodox and moonlander do

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Ah, good ol' Bootmapper, haven't seen that mentioned in a while in this new QMK world.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Taffer posted:

The ergodox and moonlander do

Ortholinear scares me

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ortholinear scares me
So far from a half assed search of split keyboards it seems like split boards with a more traditional horizontally staggered layout tend to put the 6 on the left, where those with columnar or ortholinear layouts put it on the right. I'm sure there are exceptions, but so far the closest I've found is the not entirely split Apple Adjustable Keyboard with the 6 on the right and a staggered layout.

Come to the dark side...

It seems scarier than it should when you haven't used it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ortholinear scares me

It's not too bad. There's definitely an adjustment period but after a few days it'll start to feel okay and after a few weeks you won't want to go back. I'm a recent convert but I never ever want to back to either non-split or staggered keyboards.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Space Dust keycaps is presently active if anyone cares. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107942.0

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 4, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh yeah the one with more options than stars in the universe.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone order from the Kono store? Are they reliable by chance? I saw this on their store:

https://kono.store/collections/all-products-list/products/kono-84-keyboard

Thought it could be interesting to use as a switch tester.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I made a reddit thread asking about Kono and the general vibe was "yeah they're cool and pretty responsive". I bought into a GB for SA Espresso but we plan on moving in the next few months, so I had a conversation with them via email about getting the shipping address changed if need be and they're pretty responsive. (And yes, they said that was fine.)

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yep, Kono is very legit. They can be a bit overpriced on some things, but they're otherwise perfectly fine and good.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Kono are the Input Club dudes, so they're legit.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
10keyless cherry blue good price. ??

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Smythe posted:

Anything you want to pay.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Anything you want to pay.

looking for a reccy :tipshat:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Smythe posted:

I don't have one but I really do mean anything wrt price, what's a good price to you?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Smythe posted:

I got this Durgod K320 a while back and it's solid for the price. No RGB and the indicator lights are white and not super bright or anything. It feels similar to my older CM Quickfire Rapid TKL without the horrible font on the legends, plus the Durgod has doubleshot pbt keys and USB-C if it matter to you.
https://smile.amazon.com/DURGOD-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-Interface/dp/B078HFTTYK/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Smythe posted:

Keychron C1 has a Gateron Blue option. You can't get hotswap too.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I got this Durgod K320 a while back and it's solid for the price. No RGB and the indicator lights are white and not super bright or anything. It feels similar to my older CM Quickfire Rapid TKL without the horrible font on the legends, plus the Durgod has doubleshot pbt keys and USB-C if it matter to you.
https://smile.amazon.com/DURGOD-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-Interface/dp/B078HFTTYK/

This is based. Ty

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Fraid my filco majestouch has taken one too many epic nights of gaming rip

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

While it isn't Cherry (Gaterons) it is RGBrific.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Gateron-Swappable-Partitioned/dp/B08PD1B15T

I ordered the smaller version with yellows from https://kprepublic.com/products/womier-87-k87-mechanical-keyboard-80-87-tkl-pcb-case-hot-swappable-switch-rgb which took awhile to arrive.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 6, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

It’s a nice board at a killer price but for me personally it’s gotta be authentic Cherry Blue. Just a brain problem I have. Ya know how it goes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Smythe posted:

It’s a nice board at a killer price but for me personally it’s gotta be authentic Cherry Blue. Just a brain problem I have. Ya know how it goes.

Buy/salvage some blues and swap them.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Smythe posted:

Any specific reason for it having to be cherries? The other brands have caught up and even overtaken Cherry.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Smythe posted:

This is based. Ty

I have the same keyboard with white backlight and I threw on some cheap matcha PBT keycaps (I think $30 on Amazon) and it's a fantastic keyboard.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Smythe posted:

Gateron blues are clones of cherry MX blues that are better in pretty much every aspect. Cherry's patents expired and they haven't kept up.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

Any specific reason for it having to be cherries? The other brands have caught up and even overtaken Cherry.

interrodactyl posted:

Gateron blues are clones of cherry MX blues that are better in pretty much every aspect. Cherry's patents expired and they haven't kept up.

this is too hosed up to believe.... Cherry supremacy is... no more? last kb i bought was my filco majestouch 2 through like elitekeyboards or something before mechanical kbs were really popular, or at least just beginning to be cool

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Smythe posted:

this is too hosed up to believe.... Cherry supremacy is... no more? last kb i bought was my filco majestouch 2 through like elitekeyboards or something before mechanical kbs were really popular, or at least just beginning to be cool

If you want clicky, go with Kailh Box Whites and never look back.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

And if you want really clicky, Box Jade or Box Navy

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Smythe, pick up either a Womier K87 or Hot swappable Keychron C1 with Gateron Blues. If you don't like the switches, you can buy different switches and put them in.

qnqnx posted:

And if you want really clicky, Box Jade or Box Navy

Box Jade are probably my favorite clicky switch.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Concurring with Womier K87. It's what I'm using right now, and while it's... somewhat flimsy, it's been a great board for learning how to mod and customize without worrying too much about loving it up since it's fairly inexpensive as far as customizable boards go.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mariooncrack posted:

Smythe, pick up either a Womier K87 or Hot swappable Keychron C1 with Gateron Blues. If you don't like the switches, you can buy different switches and put them in.
Box Jade are probably my favorite clicky switch.

The Wormier K87 looks like it's for cool dudes who wear sunglasses at their PC because it's loving blinding.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Wormier isn't a solid chunk of metal capable of beating someone to death without breaking but I'm not sure that I'd consider it flimsy.

Anyway I finally decided to order some testers from kbdfans (clicky and textile). Can't wait to drive myself crazy and deciding why yes I'll just keep using the yellows (or go back to the zealios I used before).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Duck and Cover posted:

The Wormier isn't a solid chunk of metal capable of beating someone to death without breaking but I'm not sure that I'd consider it flimsy.

Anyway I finally decided to order some testers from kbdfans (clicky and textile). Can't wait to drive myself crazy and deciding why yes I'll just keep using the yellows (or go back to the zealios I used before).

I say flimsy in the context of "pressing down on the middle of the board will make it buckle, and it's just three layers of acrylic screwed together (bottom, middle holds the PCB, and plate) that don't tend to stay perfectly flush together."

It's still a perfectly fine board, but the RGB novelty of it wore off real quick.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Framboise posted:

I say flimsy in the context of "pressing down on the middle of the board will make it buckle, and it's just three layers of acrylic screwed together (bottom, middle holds the PCB, and plate) that don't tend to stay perfectly flush together."

It's still a perfectly fine board, but the RGB novelty of it wore off real quick.

Ah I have the smaller one and thus stiffness problems aren't as apparent. I just gave it a shot and it didn't seem to flex at all.

Wrong RGBs rule.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rexxed posted:

The Wormier K87 looks like it's for cool dudes who wear sunglasses at their PC because it's loving blinding.

I'm adding some pudding-like keycaps to mine soon to dig into the RGB aesthetic. I'm a monster.

Framboise posted:

Concurring with Womier K87. It's what I'm using right now, and while it's... somewhat flimsy, it's been a great board for learning how to mod and customize without worrying too much about loving it up since it's fairly inexpensive as far as customizable boards go.

I got mine to dip my toes into modding and to use as a switch tester. I've ended up liking it way more than I thought I would.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Can't wait to spend like $160 on keycaps and like $50-$100 for key switches for my $85 keyboard!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
You joke but that's exactly what I did for my good ol' Zhuque TKL (first Kailh hotswap board on the market all for the price of $30 CAD) So no shame there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Duck and Cover posted:

Can't wait to spend like $160 on keycaps and like $50-$100 for key switches for my $85 keyboard!

It be like that sometimes